Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Len posted:

The end of that story arc can easily go in the touching panels thread. Six Pack was a goddamn champ.

I also always saw his fate as an indicator that Tommy's dream from the final storyline is a premonition about his afterlife and not just a dream. In that dream, Tommy's having a good time with all of his friends who had died throughout the series, but Six Pack is missing. As far as Tommy knows, Six Pack is dead, so if it was merely a dream, he should have been in the crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Speaking of Thunderbolts, this is from Thunderbolts #22.

The Thunderbolts are in Hell and have made a pact with Mephisto. In a contract overseen by Red Leader, it's agreed that if they can topple the current ruler of Hell and give it back to Mephisto, he'll send them home and also pull down Mercy, a powerful and insane being they really need to get rid of. Turns out the latest ruler of Hell is Strong Guy, but a deal's a deal and Red Hulk gets him to step down. Between bringing in Mercy and Deadpool's antics, Hell suddenly becomes a chaotic mess and Mephisto is none too pleased.

Charles Soule's Thunderbolts: where even the weaselly brain is a badass.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Senor Candle posted:

It was a portal to heaven so he could get a feather off an Angel for his hat. That happened in the last issue.

This caused a bunch of angels to invade Hell as they chased Deadpool, causing more headaches for Mephisto.

The best part is that when they return to Earth, they find Frank Castle broken and bloody due to a fight with Mercy, moments from death. The angel feather magically heals him and Deadpool's all, "Wait, why would an angel feather help Castle? What's he got to do with angels?"

"I don't want to talk about it."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The Galactus I care about the most got pissed after Hercules punched him in the dick, so I have no problem with him being petty here.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

redbackground posted:

I love that in the Marvel multiverse, there are countless and ever-varied iterations of Galactus, a living force of nature set on correcting the imbalances between Eternity and Death, yet only one Mojo.

Now that I think of it, I don't recall ever seeing Mojo show up in a single What If issue.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

McSpanky posted:

What I'm gathering from all of this is evidence for this issue, if not this period, of Power Girl to be discussed in the Worst Runs thread.

It's actually heavily well-regarded and is seen as the best run for the character.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

goatface posted:

So Yoda, king of the Light Side of the force, just killed everybody on a planet that is covered by a city. Probably a hundred billion people.

Not exactly a precise application of force.

Those contractors knew exactly what they were getting into.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Dammit Who? posted:

Dr. Strange is going to kill them because he just sold his soul for power, hasn't really done anything other than that recently, and will never be in a movie.

Are you sure about that last part?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is there a list in which Doom doesn't excel? I'll let Doom answer that.

FF#9

One of my favorite things about Hickman's F4/FF run is how every piece of dialogue to come out of the Mad Thinker's mouth is literally mad thinking.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

There's basically six Hyperions:

- Squadron Supreme
- Squadron Sinister
- Supreme Power
- King Hyperion/Thunderbolts
- Marvel Zombies Supreme
- Hickman Avengers

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

McSpanky posted:

The MM DLC that added his arcade ending mentions him faking his death or going into hiding as the Atlantean archivist so it doesn't really contradict what we saw in his Year One appearance.

Exactly. In the comic, he's melted by heat vision and his remains fall into the ocean. His in-game storyline is that he's been living in secret in the form of Aquaman's advisor in Atlantis. It fits pretty well.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Polaron posted:

Wasn't that where it was revealed that Manhunter going nuts was specifically the reason Batman had brought the fireproof Plastic Man into the League?

It wasn't that he was fireproof. It was that being an inorganic being, he was immune to mind control, plus he was just plain better and mentally quicker when it came to morphing.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

CzarChasm posted:

Dang. Taking an infinity gem shot right to the junk. That'll put you down.

No wonder Death dumped him.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

WickedHate posted:

The chickenman saved the multiverse, I think that one worked out.

I heard they blew him up in Philly last night.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Uthor posted:

(He beat up the pile of ninja on the last page earlier in the issue.)

TMNT 11

It's interesting to reread this sequence after what's become of Alopex in the last year or so. Splinter was spot-on.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Uthor posted:

If it's in the main series, I can when I get to it.

It's in the Alopex Microseries issue.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Achernar posted:

Jeffrey Combs. He also did The Question on JLU.

It really is for the better that they re-animated the Scarecrow.

:haw:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

e X posted:

Are the other Immortal Weapons still dead or did they bring them back?

The whole storyline where they got killed was negated via Dr. Strange, so it never happened.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

From Red Lanterns #34. The Soule run began with Guy Gardner taking over the Red Lanterns by defeating Atrocitus and stealing his ring. Guy then used the Red Lanterns as a force of good while Dex-Star found Atrocitus a new ring. The two factions went to war and in the latest arc, Atrocitus attacked Earth and then used the fear-based hatred to induct a few dozen Red Lanterns. Long story short, they were all knocked out. Also, two members of Guy's team got killed off.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Say Nothing posted:

drat, that is one EXTREME 90's outfit!

Well, he's EXTREMELY pissed off.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time #3 is pretty drat awesome. The Turtles end up on a pirate ship during a battle between a group of honorable pirates (who claim to get their money through more legitimate means) and a group of evil pirates with more advanced weaponry. Those guys work for a being known as the Kraken, which turns out to be Krang, using them to help keep the location of his island hideout safely guarded. The Turtles ward off the Kraken's pirates for a bit and the unnamed good pirate captain talks about finding the coast and laying low to keep safe. Michelangelo gives a big speech about how running away is a bad plan and gets the crew so hyped that they make him the new captain as they try to find the Kraken's crew and fight them head-on.

Later on, Mikey and the original captain hash it out.

The two pirate crews go at it and the Kraken's guy has a laser pistol.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

That's the Knee That Beat John Cena, King!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

It's a pretty good advantage - after all, *Doom* didn't get taken down by a Skrull virus, did he?

Actually, I just finished reading Secret Invasion, and I don't recall Doom/Latveria really being involved at all...

This thread would be a good place to post the first episode of the second season of Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, which kicks off its own version of Secret Invasion. Doom destroys the Avengers and F4 with little problem.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Boogaleeboo posted:

Possibly in a body bag.

No, that's only if you turn your back on the Wolfpac.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Excessive violence, you say?

Mortal Kombat X #1

Hsu Hao's eyeballs on that last page :stare:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

WickedHate posted:

It makes me so happy Scorpion's a good guy now. :allears:

Maybe this time they won't gently caress it up by saying, "Just kidding! The main hero is Shujinko!"

I'm guessing Takeda is going to be in the game due to the story's 25 years later time jump. I am so down with that.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

Not that I mind Scorpion being a hero, buy wasn't one of the results of the hosed up time shenanigans of the previous game that he never learned the truth about his family's death and never got his redemptive arc?

According to the issue's dialogue, the Netherrealm War (MK4's story) happened. While the details are unknown, Kenshi was able to get through to Scorpion and help him regain his humanity. Scorpion's been seeking out other warriors who lost their families during the Netherrealm War so that he can rebuild the Shirai Ryu and help these people the way Kenshi helped him.

Scorpion also walks around maskless, but with a human face.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Jiro posted:

He's the worlds greatest backyard pro wrestler. Or Jeff Hardy whichever.

Risk vs. Superboy Prime was supposed to be a lot longer, but Risk was drugged out of his mind on the day of the fight and in no way in shape to perform, so they took him out in one panel.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Tracula posted:

Look I admit to being somewhat ignorant here but why the gently caress does Batman always need to fight Superman and somehow prove that his dick is 100000x bigger? I got it in The Dark Knight Returns but it's just such fanboy bullshit most times I see it.

I'm not even the biggest fan of Superman but fucks sake does it get lame really, really fast.

Because it's a tie-in to a video game where Superman is trying to kill Batman.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Tracula posted:

I guess but for once I want Superman vs Batman to go the same way The Mountain vs Oberon did. Someones goddamn skull needs to pop and Batman actually needs to loving lose for once.

That already happened in the series. Superman snapped Batman over his knee, Bane-style. It took Batman over a year to recover.

Hell, by the end of the issue from the above image, Superman's standing tall.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Ghostpilot posted:

Has this ever been an outcome in a Superman vs Batman battle? Genuinely curious.

It happened just before Infinite Crisis. Superman was mind-controlled and thought Batman was one of his villains. Batman was horribly injured, though probably not as much as he should have been.

Also, if you count it, the first issue of Irredeemable had the Batman knockoff get toasted by the Plutonian's heat vision easily.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Injustice has given us the best Harley Quinn in years, not least because she doesn't dress like one of the Suicide Girls.

One of the neat things is that she actually did dress as a Suicide Girl because that's what she looks like in the game. And it looks dumb in comic form. So they had a scene to explain why she went back to her classic attire that actually made sense and pushed the story forward.

Crowetron posted:

Wait, what's the trick? That he caught something that was thrown at him? Is he gullible for having reflexes?

BOOM!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

TwoPair posted:

Too Many Spider-Men.

It takes a lot to save the day
Like spider versions of Gwen and May
A black teen swinging through New York
A scoop of clones and a guy who's pork
And you got

Too Many Webs! (Too Many Webs!)

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

Wait, wouldn't that make Morlun.... oh dear.

Mechanical Organic Robots Lurking Under Nightfall.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Skwirl posted:

Silver Surfer was another early member with no clothes.

Didn't they also have a woman who literally wore nothing but two clouds?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Gorilla Salad posted:

Remember every lovely crossover you have ever read?

Planetary/Batman: Night On Earth is NOT one of those crossovers.

It's buried somewhere in the touching moments thread, but despite much of the issue being Ellis taking the piss out of Batman, it ends with probably my all-time favorite Batman moment. Batman's version of Superman's "You're stronger than you think. Trust me."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Most of Mortal Kombat X #8 could be in this thread, but I had to cut it down a bit. The background is that after Shao Kahn died in the last game, the throne of Outworld was soon taken over by Kotal Kahn (no relation. "Kahn" appears to be more of a title than a name). He did this by dethroning Mileena, Shao's "rightful heir." Unlike Shao Kahn and all the other emperor characters in Mortal Kombat, Kotal Kahn is actually portrayed as more of a champion to the weak and is in fact a leader you can get behind, even if he is into drinking the blood of his enemies and eating their hearts.

He sent Goro to go hunt down Mileena and finish her off, but Goro instead betrayed Kotal, joined with Mileena's side and killed a bunch of Kotal's warriors, including Kotal's father. Now Kotal's out to get revenge, riding through the desert on a dinosaur alone. When Rain tries to blot out the sun with clouds and cut off Kotal's power, Kotal summons a beam of intense sunlight right into him, frying Rain to a crisp. He kills some of Goro's men with ease, then demands a piece of Goro.

And yes, Kotal Kahn has his very own Master Blaster on the payroll.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

AnonSpore posted:

...Goro didn't explain why he's serving Mileena, that was such a non-answer

It was explained in an earlier issue. Mileena told him that if he joined her side she'd help his race regain their past glory, which I guess means that the Shokan would be the top race in her empire. Plus when Goro was killing Kotal's father, he explained, "Your son sent the Prince of Shokan into the desert to hunt rats... I AM NO MAN'S RATCATCHER!"'

Even without that, the dialogue in the pages I posted makes it pretty clear Goro plans to kill Mileena instead of serve under her. That's even a plot point earlier in the issue where Reiko more or less tells her, "Goro's probably going to try and kill you. Let's let them kill each other and if either survives, I'll take care of it later."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

KayTee posted:

I picked up issue 1 of Mortal Kombat and thought it was pretty boring tripe. Should I have stuck with it?

I like it because I genuinely love Mortal Kombat's crazy-rear end mythology. The Kotal Kahn arc (which would be the third print issue) was good fun, even if the art took a dive due to fill-ins and the creative team gets Mayan and Aztec culture mixed up.

On the subject, a few weeks ago, I ranked every single Mortal Kombat character. And since I go worst to best, it begins with...

404GoonNotFound posted:

Man, gently caress Reiko.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Berk Berkly posted:

What does it truly take to be a Red Lantern?

Answer:

I haven't seen an angry baby punch someone that hard since Bryan Danielson fought Takeshi Morishima.