Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Dan Didio posted:

And it led to one of the best What If's ever.

I'd consider it THE best What If ever.

(Note: I ranked it at #2 when I did that list article series, but that was 8 years ago and my tastes have slightly changed)

But for real, "GET UP SO I CAN KNOCK YOU DOWN!" gets me pumped no matter how many times I read it. Such an amazing fight scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

FredMSloniker posted:

Which one you talking about? (And maybe some panels from it?)

What If Captain America Were Revived Today? (What If v.1 #44)

So back in the day, they retconned the Captain America from the 1950's as being a fake. Two dudes made themselves look like Cap and Bucky, took some faulty Super Soldier Serum and went to town on the commies. They went insane because of the serum, were put on ice, and were thawed out years later, where they ended up fighting the real Cap and Falcon. That's regular continuity.

In the What If, the Avengers vs. Namor adventure doesn't lead to Cap's block of ice being freed. Therefore, Captain America isn't discovered by the Avengers and soon after, the Avengers break up. That means that when Commie-Smasher Cap and Fake Bucky are thawed out, there's no competition and the public accepts them as the real deals. The Secret Empire gets their claws into them and poo poo gets bad. Black people are tossed into camps and Cap goes on TV to spin it as a really good thing.

The real Cap eventually does thaw out and he's found by a submarine of revolutionaries, who at first try to kill him before cooler heads prevail. After getting an idea of what's been going on, he is SUPER PISSED. The rebel army includes Nick Fury, Sam Wilson, Spider-Man and even Jameson helps them out. That leads to them crashing a big press conference.

Hell loving Yeah.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Say Nothing posted:

A certain popular badass manga is getting an animated series.

https://twitter.com/foo2333

I'm pumped.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

bobkatt013 posted:

Todays New Avengers. The entire issue.
Here is just a peak

Come on, dude. The page before it is the best part.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

So happy.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't get it.

It seems to be mostly a set up page.

That face is pretty hilarious tho.

For the last bunch of months, Thor has been unable to wield Mjolnir because for reasons never yet explained, he's unworthy. He recently stole the hammer from an evil alternate reality Thor named Thorr whose hammer can only be lifted by the unworthy.

So he's about to go headlong into a battle he knows he cannot win and suddenly he can't lift the hammer of the unworthy.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

muscles like this? posted:

Because mhmhmhmh

How many Superman-related songs did the Crash Test Dummies write anyway?!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The only good thing to come out of it was him having a big WTF look on his face upon seeing Red Hulk randomly standing there, eating out of a giant bowl of cereal.

"Oh by the way, there's a Red Hulk now."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Stop posting good asses in the thread for bad asses!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Flesh Forge posted:

Cloning Thor was one of the lowest points Marvel has ever sunk to.

I'm the guy who defends Millar's depiction of Tony Stark in the main Civil War series as compared to how every other writer portrayed him. Tony was a guy reluctantly trying to control a terrible situation and a lot of the terrible things the pro-reg side does that are attributed to him aren't his doing. All except Clone Thor. That one can't be defended because at the end of the day, it was just Mark Millar wanting to find any excuse to use Thor in his comic and nothing more. The best you can say is that Tony was smart enough to hit the off switch when it went horribly wrong (plus the What If issue showed that the government would have just mass produced those guys without Tony around to steer the ship).

TwoPair posted:

No, he calls himself Ragnarok. Eric Masterson's kid is the new Thunderstrike. Neither one of them really ever show up because no one gives a poo poo about either of them.

I feel that Jeff Parker was on the cusp of going in an interesting direction with Ragnarok. He briefly gave an idea that being Ragnarok is completely messed up because he has all of Thor's memories, but knows he's nothing more than a cyborg clone. Is he worthy based on the man he's created from and the actions he never did but remembers doing? Can he be worthy?

Then he picked up Mjolnir from an alternate reality and it changed his appearance to something really stupid. Then Dark Avengers ended because not only because of the low sales, but there was literally no storyline reason for it to continue because the team had no mission statement or direction.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Travis343 posted:

A badass panels thread could be made of nothing but Jojo probably

Can somebody post the dialogue between Joseph Joestar and Mariah when she has him at her mercy? Because that was the coolest poo poo.

Captain Bravo posted:

Let me see if I've got that right. He can't slow down, so he summons a dude to trash his bike, and after the pieces fly over the carriage, he has the dude rebuild it before he hits the ground? Is that the long and short of it?

Yeah, it's worth noting that the dude's main power is the ability to put things back together as long as it isn't burned beyond recognition. There are some neat uses of that in the story.

Discendo Vox posted:

Also, it's a comedy comic.

Even still, the most badass moment of One Punch Man is when he takes down this huge sea monster king guy and everyone proceeds to think that all the other heroes, who were taken out after heroically sacrificing themselves (especially one guy whose power is nothing more than "rides a bike"), are a bunch of worthless jokes. So Saitama lies and makes them think that the heroes softened the monster up so he could land the final blow and take all the credit. Everyone suddenly thinks highly of the other heroes while thinking Saitama a fraud.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Doom was shown unmasked in the Mike Wieringo tribute issue of What If. There was also a Secret Invasion ad that showed Doom removing his mask to show he's a Skrull. It doesn't really "count," but it was pretty graphic in how badly his actual face is supposed to look (only green), so it kind of does.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

AnonSpore posted:

Galactus: One Baad Dude

I demand a comic where Galactus saves the President from ninjas.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

goatface posted:

It was all the suit. She was just a passenger.

Bullshit.

Captain N: The Game Master #4.

Samus singlehandedly made that comic readable.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Yeah, go read RoboCop vs. Terminator. It's seriously one of my all-time favorite comics and it's only $4 on Comixology right now.

And no, that's most definitely not the ending.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Terminator Salvation: The Final Battle #11. It turns out that Marcus, the human/robot hybrid from Salvation, was a prototype for a bigger plan. SkyNet tried the same process on a remorseless serial killer named Thomas Parnell and patched him into an army of T-800's so that they can fight the human resistance in a way that's less predictable and more ruthless. Not only are the humans losing the war, but Parnell's gradually taking more and more control away from SkyNet. John Connor has done the unthinkable and is now teaming up with SkyNet against a bigger threat. The plan is to link John's mind with a Terminator and have it go after Parnell.

It's also worth noting that for decades, John knew that he would be murdered by the same Terminator that would later protect his younger self in Terminator 3.

DUNT DUNT DUNT DA-DA-DUNT
DUNT DUNT DUNT DA-DA-DUNT

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Jiro posted:

Please tell me this is an ongoing and you now have Skynet gift the Connor T-800 with a Connor skin. Or he then starts taking control of Skynet himself. Alternative option humans turn against him Skynet hunts him and you have this renegade Terminator trying to survive. All these Terminator comics I have to read. :awesomelon:

It's a 12-issue series meant to be the end of the whole Terminator story (it came out a year before the new movie). Connor has the ability to purge SkyNet completely afterwards, but decides against it and is able to convince the program that humans and SkyNet are ultimately better off coexisting than one completely destroying the other. They do indeed gift him with a Connor skin as well as give him that T-800 that killed him as an offering, but instead of revenge, he sends it back in time for T3 instead.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

If the Ruin the Moment thread was still active, I would have changed that to "WITNESS ME!" a while back.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

As far as I'm concerned, the only person outside of Morrison who actually wrote a decent Prometheus is Gail Simone during the One Year Later era of Birds of Prey. He was a badass and nigh-impossible to beat, but not to an eye-rolling degree.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Wasn't sure whether this worked better here or the touching panels thread. It's a side-story from One Punch Man volume 7.

As many of you know, Saitama is an overpowered superhero who can take out any opponent in one punch. He's a really casual guy and the only reason he isn't a big deal or well known is because he has to be part of the Hero Association. Because of their bureaucratic bullshit, Saitama is thrown into the C-rank and has only just worked his way into the bottom of the B-rank.

In this story, he's taken in for questioning by some police because there's a killer described as having a round, bald head out there and Saitama's seen wandering around with some blood on him. He explains to the chief that it's monster blood and that he's a hero. On one hand, the chief offers him some food and doesn't really interrogate him. On the other hand, he goes off about how much he hates the Hero Association because it makes the police look like chumps. They do good too, but they don't ask for the attention. Then he pours his heart out to Saitama over a cop who was murdered by said killer.

"One of my subordinates... was a really great guy. He was a little overeager... but for only being in his second year, he was an excellent officer. Last week, he was attacked. His bones were broken from head to toe. He described the culprit over the radio until he lost consciousness. His last words were, 'Be careful, Officer Kuma.' That's me. To the end, he worried about others. How could this happen to such a fine man? He joined the police after failing the hero exam. You're one of the heroes he admired so much?"

The killer turns out to be a criminal who became a monster and he starts tearing apart the police department. Bullets bounce off him and there's nothing they can do. Officer Kuma, having no choice, calls up the head of the Hero Association. That guy relishes in Kuma crawling to him for help and proceeds to have his fun.

In the next couple pages, we see that the head of the Hero Association sent a bunch of A-rank heroes and also made sure to alert the media. He wants everyone to see them save the police.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

Eddie's a complicated guy

Man, you already used the Shaft punchline the other day. Now what am I supposed to do? :(

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Captain Bravo posted:

Gavok! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

... post?

*another post magically pops up*

mind the walrus posted:

Deadpool has been on "team antihero" since Gail Simone's run--not that she did anything specifically that I can recall, just that he hasn't been a sincere villain for any prolonged capacity since then.

I'd actually concede that Daniel Way's Deadpool was arguably more villain than antihero because Way is a bad writer who doesn't understand such concepts as characterization, character development and payoff. But as of the moment Deadpool told off Wolverine early on in Uncanny X-Force, I'd say he became an actual hero. He didn't just have a conscience. He was X-Force's conscience.

bobkatt013 posted:

You should read the latest run as he has changed from being an Villain to being closer to Wolverine. He is going to be joining the Avengers and has become good friends with Cap.

More importantly, Deadpool will be funding the Avengers.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Flesh Forge posted:

On a similar note, who are some of the established heroes that became villains and stayed that way? Ultimate Reed Richards/The Maker is a pretty great one, the idea of Evil Reed Richards doing all this scary physical poo poo really weirds me out:

Phil Urich Green Goblin/Hobgoblin comes to mind.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

X-O posted:

Deadpool didn't really become breakout popular until Daniel Way's run unfortunately.

Way's run was pretty good in that first year, but I wouldn't say Deadpool became popular because of him. It was more of a sum of the internet backlash of how he was in the Wolverine movie mixed with Marvel finally deciding to go full throttle on him for the first time.

It really says something that over the course of Cable/Deadpool, there was never a crossover into another book outside of tie-ins to stories that otherwise didn't mention Deadpool.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Grendels Dad posted:

I imagine Peter became the world's greatest pro wrestler in a world where Uncle Ben lived.

Peter sort of became the Manhattan Guardian. Fighting crime, then calling up Jameson to give him a heads up on the scoop.

Though that's in a world where Auny May got shot instead. In the world where he simply stopped the burglar when he had the chance, Peter became a gigantic Hollywood jackass to such a point that Jameson started the Sinister Six to kill him.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Chaos Hippy posted:

Superman fights dudes that are stronger than him all the time. He's not fancy by any stretch; pretty much a straightforward pugilist; but he's got some moves.

Reminds me of the final issue of Incorruptible. For those who don't know, it's a spinoff of Irredeemable (about a Superman archetype who snapped and went evil) starring Max Damage, a supervillain who tries to redeem himself and fill the superhero void that the Plutonian left behind. He's a street thug with the power of becoming increasingly stronger and more invulnerable the longer he's awake.

The final scene has him in good spirits, telling people the story about the time he and Plutonian were in some kind of null field that turned off their powers and made them human. "I figure I have him dead to rights. He's relied too much on his strength all these years. Guy doesn't know the first thing about fighting. Then I wake up in an ambulance with a broken jaw. Guy punches like Tyson."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

When I was a kid, I read a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure book about Superman. One of the stories had him fight Luthor and Superman got depowered so Luthor could fight him man to man. If you accept the fight, Luthor would beat Superman to death with his bare hands.

So I'm glad people are posting the powerless Superman vs. Luthor pages here because young me thought that book was bullshit.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't care what generic white guy they get to play Black Bolt, but I'll be disappointed if his climactic one liner at the end of the movie isn't voiced by Gilbert Gottfried.

Black Bolt actually defeats Maximus by telling him, "AND HIS NAME IS JOHN CENA!!"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

mind the walrus posted:

No. Do not let Deadpool near this. Too many cooks.

Cletus Kasady is seen glaring in the background of this post.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Travis343 posted:

His character in Blazing Saddles was close enough.

Never mind that poo poo, here comes Cain Marko!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

TwoPair posted:

Featuring Lars Von Trier as "Eldrac the Door"

A dying, blood-soaked Spider-Ham crawls towards a big, red button.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

SynthOrange posted:

Well you know what they say about guys with big hands.

They can never truly understand Jewel.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Endless Mike posted:

One day I will go to a Chikara show and stalk meet Gavok.

Well, they're doing a show the Saturday night of NYCC a few blocks away if you're going to that.

Cabbit posted:

He'll be the guy dressed as Anti-Venom.

No, you're thinking of Finn Balor.

But I probably will be cosplaying as Pentagon Jr. that night, so the color scheme will remain the same.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

From What If v.2 #78. The first badass comic scene I ever read.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Vicissitude posted:

Probably Mr Fixit Hulk. Grey Hulk, but smart enough to get decently-tailored clothes. Not as strong as regular Hulk, but strong enough to whoop some rear end.

There's a bit later in the issue where Lady Deathstrike cuts at the Hulk and he's mad because "These threads don't come off the rack!"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rigged Death Trap posted:

:eyepop: SO THATS WHERE DEXTERS LAB GOT IT FROM.

They even looped it back around to comics. There was an issue of Deadpool Team-Up (special guest the Thing) where an alien that acted like Randy Savage came to a wrestling show and challenged their best or he'd destroy the planet. Deadpool was all, "Weren't you on an episode of Dexter's Lab?"

Meanwhile, Deadpool was there for the best reason. He figured that everyone would forgive him for all his past crimes if he just became a heel wrestler and turned face. Which, as a wrestling fan, is completely sound logic.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Ghostbusters #7. The team is facing this powerful entity that possesses people and devours their souls. They're fighting it at a carnival and it possesses Peter. Not only does that mean the team's down by one against a dangerous threat, but they're reluctant to harm Peter. As the battle rages on, this conversation takes place.

He makes a break for it and gets snagged immediately.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Thaddius the Large posted:

Huh, can't say I'm too excited for

It doesn't matter that you're not excited.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

If John Cena could even remotely act he would probably be an amazing shazam

The athleticism of Savage
The courage of Hogan
The strength of Andre
The durability of Zeus
The intensity of Austin
The charisma of Mankind