Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Mierenneuker posted:

Said glorious nazi did inspire Capcom to give that haircut to an all American hero who told foreigners to go home and be a family man. Of course I'm talking about Street Fighter II's Guile.

Later they went a step further and just copied an entire character (Street Fighter Alpha's Rose).

They also based Dynamo from Mega Man X on Hol Horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

I hate Dynamo, how dare he sully Jojo by associating it with the worst Mega Man X game until all the Mega Man X games that were made after it.

But his theme song's rad as hell!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Does anyone have the sequence where Joseph and Abdul defeat Mariah? That might be my favorite badass Jojo moment.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Retro Futurist posted:

What the hell are ripples and stands?

Stand-users are sort of like mutants, but without all the angst over societal bullshit and their abilities are usually more creative and unique.

Rather than have a superpower of their own, they basically control a ghostly object (their stand), which itself has powers. The major characters tend to have stands in the form of beings that look like Aztec superheroes. Others have them in the form of less conventional things like bugs, cars, books, dolls, shadows, fog, water, etc.

For instance, the main character from the third series, Jotaro, has a stand called Star Platinum. It's this robot-looking thing with super strength, speed and precision. It's fast and precise enough to pull a bullet out of the sky. Or there's a cowboy named Hol Horse with a stand called Emperor that's just a revolver, but it has unlimited bullets and can change the trajectory of the bullets in mid-air.

While not a panel, here's a great badass moment involving Jojo. This guy named Steely Dan's been hired to kill the heroes. His stand is called Lovers and it's a tiny creature that goes inside the bodies of others. If any damage befalls Dan, the damage hits the victim tenfold. He places Lovers inside the body of Jotaro's grandfather and decides to gently caress with Jotaro. He orders him around, makes him do demeaning poo poo, abuses him and so on. At one point, he sees Jotaro scribbling something down. Dan sees that it's a list of all the stuff he's done to Jotaro. Jotaro claims it's a receipt for later. Even though he has all the cards, Dan kind of panics for a second and slaps him.

Later on, the other heroes get Lovers out of Jotaro's grandfather, meaning there's nothing keeping Jotaro from loving Dan up. Dan pleads for his life and Jotaro walks away in disgust, saying he isn't worth it.

Then this happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdAQJBOHVfA

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

WickedHate posted:

Well, I'm a contractor myself. I'm a roofer (Dunn and Reddy Home Improvements) and speaking as a roofer, I can say that a roofer's personal politics come heavily into play when choosing jobs. Three months ago I was offered a job up in the hills. A beautiful house with tons of property. It was a simple reshingling job, but I was told that if it was finished within a day, my price would be doubled. Then I realized whose house it was. Wilson Fisk's, the gangster.

The money was right, but the risk was too big. I knew who he was, and based on that, I passed the job on to a friend of mine, and that week, the Punisher hit the house. My friend was shot and killed. He wasn't even finished shingling. I'm alive because I knew there were risks involved taking on that particular client. My friend wasn't so lucky. You know, any contractor willing to work for Stark knew the risks. If they were killed, it was their own fault. A roofer listens to his heart, not his wallet.

With your rap sheet, you're not even supposed to be here today.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Madkal posted:

I know it isn't but that lady looks a lot like Lade Death.

So quick question, do I need to read a million other comics or could I just pick up the Secret Wars trade and get into it?

While the whole Avengers/New Avengers run leading into it is great, Secret Wars has especially little to do with the actual Avengers themselves. So here's what you need to know:

- Black Swan shows up and becomes a prisoner of the Illuminati. She talks up this religious higher power and also how the multiverse is collapsing. There are these things called "incursions" where two alternate universes are on course to collide. Earth is the constant lynchpin. If one Earth is destroyed, both universes survive. If not, then both universes are wiped out. Even so, you're only buying time until the next incursion and the multiverse is still falling to pieces regardless.

- Because this is such an impossible problem to solve, things get increasingly morally questionable for the good guys. Namor goes the furthest off the deep end. He starts a group called the Cabal with Thanos, Black Swan, Maximus and others where they commit genocide on other Earths just to save Earth 616. Ultimate Reed Richards later joins. Meanwhile, Namor and Black Panther murderously HATE each other.

- Dr. Strange's quest to figure poo poo out leads him to stumbling across Dr. Doom (who it turns out is that religious higher power Black Swan kept alluding to) and Molecule Man. The ones behind all this were the Beyonders, an entire race as powerful as that guy from the original Secret Wars. Doom and Molecule Man partially thwarted their plans via decades of time-travel and reality-hopping. The three of them have their big final battle against the Beyonders and by the end of it, we don't really know who won.

By the beginning of Secret Wars #1, the only worlds left are Marvel 616 and Ultimate Marvel.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The best post-Earth X thing was the Spidey one-shot where Peter Parker was stuck in a fantasy-induced coma. Mayday Parker went into his head to bring him back, but then had an emotional breakdown upon finding out that in Peter's fantasy world, his successor was a son he had with Gwen.

"Why did you do this to us?" :smith:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Mr. Maltose posted:

Just a reminder The Best Batman Elseworld The Batman Of Arkham is literally about Batman capturing criminals and taking them to Arkham so that cutting edge psychologist Bruce Wayne gives them the care and treatment they need to reenter society.

Killer Croc is his buddy. It loving ruled.

Maltose knows what's up.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

purple death ray posted:

Not his real name. Aside from the movie giving us Jack Napier the Joker doesn't have a canon name. Joseph Kerr was a frequently used alter ego, where how obvious it was to Batman was the joke.

I think in Going Sane, it wasn't intentional for him. Just a new personality that took over and the name he subconsciously came up with. There's a scene of him looking at his mail and staring at the name, slowly scratching out letters before constantly shifting his facial expression until smiling while crying.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Really, they should just take that batshit Nick Cave Gladiator 2 screenplay and alter it enough that it's Eternal Warrior.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

smh if you're not reading Sinister's words in Tim Curry's voice

Sorry, but they're right. Sinister is Broken Matt now. Now and forever. Tim Curry has been deleted.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Wanderer posted:

One of the few flaws in the Injustice comic, at least while Tim Taylor was writing it, was that Harley earned her forgiveness surprisingly easily. I reread the first volume recently and in the issue where Green Arrow recaptures her, she kills two cops as she's escaping, and nobody ever brings that up again.

It's after Taylor left, but I thought it was odd that nobody ever called Harley out on her Shazam fixation.

At least when Irredeemable had its supervillain turn heroic in light of a crazed Superman he knew to cut out the whole statutory thing.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Reposting this, my favorite badass moment from One Punch Man. It's not about how powerful he is, but what he does with that power.

Gavok posted:

In this story, he's taken in for questioning by some police because there's a killer described as having a round, bald head out there and Saitama's seen wandering around with some blood on him. He explains to the chief that it's monster blood and that he's a hero. On one hand, the chief offers him some food and doesn't really interrogate him. On the other hand, he goes off about how much he hates the Hero Association because it makes the police look like chumps. They do good too, but they don't ask for the attention. Then he pours his heart out to Saitama over a cop who was murdered by said killer.

"One of my subordinates... was a really great guy. He was a little overeager... but for only being in his second year, he was an excellent officer. Last week, he was attacked. His bones were broken from head to toe. He described the culprit over the radio until he lost consciousness. His last words were, 'Be careful, Officer Kuma.' That's me. To the end, he worried about others. How could this happen to such a fine man? He joined the police after failing the hero exam. You're one of the heroes he admired so much?"

The killer turns out to be a criminal who became a monster and he starts tearing apart the police department. Bullets bounce off him and there's nothing they can do. Officer Kuma, having no choice, calls up the head of the Hero Association. That guy relishes in Kuma crawling to him for help and proceeds to have his fun.

In the next couple pages, we see that the head of the Hero Association sent a bunch of A-rank heroes and also made sure to alert the media. He wants everyone to see them save the police.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

purple death ray posted:

Fun bit of trivia, back in the 60s when Toho was making a Godzilla film every six months or so, Godzilla in Hell was almost an actual Godzilla movie. They also were working on Godzilla vs Batman that would have been a crossover with the Adam West Batman.

That would have been the ultimate showdown of ultimate destiny.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Jiro posted:

HA! That's loving awesome. The first and only thing tangentially related to the prequels I will say was good.

It's been posted in the touching panels thread, but there's a really good short story taking place during Empire where Vader is in a room with the disassembled pieces of C3PO and has a flashback to working on him with his mother. It's mainly remembered for an awesome panel after the flashback of Vader silently holding C3PO's forehead against his own.

Also, someone should post the pages from the Vader ongoing where Boba Fett told him, "Hey, found out the name of that kid that blew up your Death Star. Skywalker. Anyway, bye!" and Vader doesn't take it too well.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

That last panel looks less like a headbutt and more like he's accusing her of eating the last ice cream sandwich in the freezer.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Infinitum posted:

In the long history of crossover events, have the TMNT ever teamed up with DD?

I did a long bout of research on TMNT crossovers for an article a while back and strangely there's been no Marvel/TMNT crossovers. DC, Image, Sonic, Hellboy, Power Rangers, Mortal Kombat, X-Files, Ghostbusters, Alf, Cowboys of the Moo Mesa and so on, but the closest thing to a Marvel crossover is Ready Player One, I guess? I haven't seen it, but both turtles and Marvel properties show up in that, right?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Infinitum posted:

Venom #6.

:allears:

Gives me a 90s vibe for some reason

It does have a lot of similarities (both art and story aspects) to Venom: The Hunger, which was the best 90's Venom comic, so that makes sense.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

The best 90s Venom comic is Seed of Darkness, featuring Krobaa, the Living Darkness.

This disagreement only shows that Len Kaminski should have written more Venom comics.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

DarkCrawler posted:

Kraven was one hosed up dude.

There's a What If about that story and when he's doing this bit, he's ranting and raving. In the middle of his ramblings, he says, "Why am I doing this?" before going back to his nonsense and I always found that especially creepy.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is that the "What if Kraven had killed Spider-Man?" one? I think that's the meanest What If of them all.

Lurdiak posted:

The meanest What If of them all is the one where Wolverine and Conan trade places in time and Conan fucks up the trial of the Phoenix and the Phoenix blows up the entire universe.

Nah, the meanest one of all is the What If for Atlantis Attacks which instead of being caused by one moment is caused by three separate things failing, followed by 40 pages of every Marvel character being killed one at a time.

...or the one about Bruce Banner being a wife-beater. That one's pretty rough.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The Question IRL posted:

Speaking of mean spirited, has anyone seen the Force Unleashed 2?
It had DLC where the main character kills Vader and takes his place. And then it goes super dark as it does a condensed version of the story from Episodes IV to VI.

It starts with you fighting Boba Fett (you kill him by Force throwing his rockets back at him.)
Has you chop off Luke's hand and corrupt him to the Dark Side in Echo base.
On Endor you Force choke Chewbacca, and use him as a shield when Han tries shooting him (before stabbing him with a Light Sabre.)
Oh and forbrhe end of the game, because Luke is gone all hope rests on Leia, who learns Force Powers and gets her own Light Sabre....only for you to still chump her in a boss fight.

But by far the meanest was the fight against Obi Wan at the start when the gang are in Mos Eisly Canteen.
Obi Wan goes to fight you while the Millennium Falcon flies off.
He proceeds to get beaten like he owes you money in a long rear end boss fight. At the end you Force throw him into the engines of the Millennium Falcon, like it's a wood chipper.

He them comes back as a Force ghost...who you proceed to shoot lightning at until he explodes.

It has to have been designed by someone who hated Star Wars, so mean and petty was it.

Still not as mean-spirited as Marvel's Ruins, which is two issues of "Pretty much every would-be Marvel hero died horribly of cancer and being a mutant is a fate worse than death. The end."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Venom Annual

This is a revisiting of the events of Venom: The Madness, only this time it's James Stokoe writing and drawing Madness Venom vs. Juggernaut and it is entirely my poo poo.

Juggernaut's expression in that first panel of the old lady's apartment is begging to be somebody's avatar.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Samuringa posted:

I was thinking about it, Saitama has some spider-man bits on him. Never recognized from his acts, always broke and relying on sales to buy groceries, no one knows who he is because, despite fighting innumerable monsters over the years, he forgot to register at the Hero Association when he began, is in the lowest hero class despite all that, eventually is treated as a cheater and getting even less respect from his victories, is actually holding down his punches despite everything shown

Not much wisecracking, but there are definitely some details there.

The OPM talk is good enough reason for me to repost my favorite badass moment.

Saitama is brought in for questioning because there's a bald guy going around brutally beating cops to death. The police chief doesn't think too highly of Saitama, especially after finding out he's part of the Hero Association because in his eyes, the Hero Association is made up of egomaniacs who are only in it for the glory. The police may not be as effective against bigger threats, but they do their job and don't make such a big deal of it.

The actual killer (a criminal who transformed into a monster) shows up at the police precinct and bullets have no effect on him. The police chief calls the head of the Hero Association for help, but that guy is a huge dick about it and relishes that the police need the Hero Association's aid.

In the next couple pages, we see that the head of the Hero Association sent a bunch of A-rank heroes and also made sure to alert the media. He wants everyone to see them save the police.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

site posted:

Oh man him standing up to king :cry:

A hero that isnt poo poo, and knows he isnt poo poo, but goes out anyways and will take on anything to help people because it's the right thing to do and thats what a hero does and is taken seriously as a concept is criminally underused

It lacks the gravitas of Mumen Rider and his letter, but it makes me think of this great moment from What If the Avengers Fought Galactus? In this world, the Fantastic Four died in the crash from their origin, which means no Namor, no Captain America and Dr. Doom is off having awesome adventures with Nick Fury. Once Silver Surfer and Galactus show up, Uatu goes to the Avengers for help. They set out a call for anyone who was ever an Avenger up to that point.

While Thor is busy getting his rear end kicked by Surfer, everyone else is taken out and we only have Hercules standing at Uatu's side.

Not only is Swordsman completely out of his league, but his time as an Avenger was as a betrayer working for the Mandarin, so his brief stand against Galactus feels like a big deal. He ends up surviving and earns a spot on the team once Galactus is dealt with.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Secret Weapons #4.

So Valiant has its own megalomaniac counterpart of Charles Xavier and this book is about the people rejected from his institute for having worthless powers. Like a guy whose only ability is to make anything inanimate he touches glow. Of our main characters, there's Nikki (can communicate with birds), Avichal (can turn himself into unbreakable stone, though it makes him immobile) and Owen. Owen's deal is that he conjures objects, both on purpose and randomly, and he can't choose what the object is. It always seems like something worthless in regards to the situation, but as the reader goes further and further into the book, it becomes more apparent that these objects are imperative to his survival, usually in a roundabout way.

They're being hunted by a creature named Rex-0, who wants to kill them and steal their powers.

(Nikki's okay!)

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Open Marriage Night posted:

Don’t read Spiderverse or Spidergeddon, but read those tie ins.

Same could be said for Venomverse. The main series isn't the worst thing, but nothing in it is "Stokoe drawing Venompool fighting body horror monsters" level.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Dr Christmas posted:

Who is narrating that Venom scene?

Just some criminal. The annual is an anthology of Venom stories as told by people in a bar.

That story ended with Juggernaut threatening that guy to never tell anyone what actually happened.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

AkumaHokoru posted:

it is scientifically proven australian thugs are the most amusing thugs.

That's why one of the best things about Mortal Kombat 11 is how of all the MK2-era characters to meet their future selves, the only one who is 100% happy with how things turn out is Kano.

"Over 50 and still a ripper!"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Synthbuttrange posted:

Isnt Cage also pretty happy to see Cage? :v

They get along better than most, but they also get in a fight because Older Cage calls out Younger Cage for being a sexist rear end in a top hat and Younger Cage resents him for it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Ryuji Yamazaki in Fatal Fury: The High School Years

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

bobkatt013 posted:

It was also captain boomerang killed Tim Drake’s Dad. He was fucken pissed about that also gently caress identity crisis

It wasn't even that he was mad at Flash. He just didn't know how to comfort Tim in this situation and fell back on "be a vengeful rear end in a top hat."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Alfred owns. Alfred beating the poo poo out of Superman in Injustice is a top 3 Alfred moment.

Also in the top 3:

Gavok posted:

Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Five #22

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

X-O posted:

I say this as someone that has seen every Donald Duck cartoon and read hundreds of Donald and Scrooge comics. Donald Duck on no planet would ever say something like the first panel.

Not even if he talked in his Don Cheadle voice?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Vonnie posted:

I'm sure Batman has a Kaiju Contingency.

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, it involves getting stepped on.

It actually involves him getting his head crushed by Chuck Norris. There was a song about it and everything.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Savage Avengers #3.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Skwirl posted:

Eric Masterson
A Frog
Superman
Wonder Woman
(I don't remember how canon the DC crossover stuff is considered)

Storm briefly did, using Mjolnir to break the fake one that Loki created for her.

In What If, both Rogue and Black Widow picked up Mjolnir. Widow was depicted as worthy while Rogue's was more from absorbing Thor himself.

Gavok fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

DCeased: A Good Day to Die

The Anti-Life zombie apocalypse has happened. Mr. Terrific has some ideas on how to stop it. He puts together a team of himself, Big Barda, Mr. Miracle, Booster Gold and Blue Beetle. He tries to rope Constantine into this, but Constantine says that magic won't stop the virus and resigns himself to hiding out and getting drunk. Terrific's final idea is to have Booster use his time machine to go back and stop all of this.

Unfortunately, while everyone's fighting off the overwhelming horde, Waverider stands in Beetle and Booster's way, claiming that Booster is banned from changing the timeline and he's going to be taken into custody. Constantine appears and momentarily subdues Waverider with some trickery and a headbutt. It's all for naught, as events going on in the world have caused so much havoc that Booster's ancestors are killed and he ceases to exist. He fades to nothing while giving his goodbyes to Beetle. Waverider's all, "Welp, that's the end of that!"