Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

"No, sir, commissioner,sir. No, I don't think this is going to come to trial"
Holy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I like this. You know, I understand what Joe Quesada was trying to do when he erased the marriage. The man has a very specific ideal of Spider-Man. Okay, swell. But I'm of the opinion that if you're gonna make a sweeping change for Peter, why not have him start to garner serious major league respect from his peers and have it stick for once? You have panels like this, or the one where Cap invites him formally to be an Avenger, but they're the exception, not the rule.

I really liked how he's portrayed as a mentor and helper of young heroes (for example, that part in runaways after the "I'm Batman" panel and he takes them out for sushi and talks to them or the great Spider-Man and the X-men mini of last year), because who's better to give advice to young heroes besides a person who started his hero career at, like 15, and was way in over his head (besides fully prepared mental therapist and care professionals, but this is cape books).

Cap is the ideal, but Spidey is the one that could help you get there.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Speaking of gun beatings, don't piss off Gilad.

Wrath of the Eternal Warrior #9

That's some bad art there. Tottally stiff.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Goa Tse-tung posted:

"These violent delights have violent ends"

the revelation will kick off Super World, every hero is a host

Killer robots? Pym's fault.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

purple death ray posted:

I too have played Skyrim

I haven't. Is it good?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Threep posted:

Wild Storm #1 (the new one): Angie Spica (the Engineer) is not happy being a superhero, but someone has to do something

(cut out a few pages of transformation sequence)

What were the regular, human, non-super powered bystanders supposed to do about the man falling from a skyscraper?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Wanderer posted:

She's traveling through mixed media, to the point where when she reappears in the "real" world, she still has a can of soda she picked up in a commercial.
So Ellis also saw Paprika

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Squidster posted:

So, the folks in Delicious in Dungeon are hunting a Red Dragon. Laius, the swordsman, lost his sister to the damned beast only weeks before. ( Read right to left )

It tears through their party like paper, and nothing they have can scratch it's armour. It's only weakpoint is a missing scale on its neck.

Cool spoilers my dude.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

10 Beers posted:

Free Thor comics on Amazon today.
[url]

Free Simonson and Aaron Thor!

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Manga are comics.
Comics are good.
Y'all need to chill,

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Malachite_Dragon posted:

"I'm the greatest hunter ever! That's why I put shock collars on my prey so they can't get too close to me and attack me :downsgun:"

He's a hunter, not a hunt-idiot.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Goku could take five of those blasts.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Squirrel Girl #9

Nancy Whitehead, best friend.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

goatface posted:

I assume that's his flashback to an encounter in the past. Hence the aged tape artefacts and nod toward Kirby's style.

That's one of the things in the comic. I think it's used whenever ptsd/mental trauma is supposed to be in effect. Same with "Darkseid Is"

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

This could also go in the funny panel thread. This type of ridiculousness is why I love comics.

(I still don't know how to take screenshot from my kindle, sorry). From Immortal Hulk.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Jordan7hm posted:

In 6 months we'll only have posted another half dozen comic panels :(

Here's a comic where the badass-ness isn't in the comic itself, but from the creators. It's a full short story, but it's real old so hope it's ok.

EC comics was doing some loving amazing stuff in the 50s. This would be a hard story to tell today, let alone with the level of violence in this comic. I've been going through the Wally Wood EC artist collection that Fantagraphics put out a while back and goddamn the back half of that book is just horrific story after horrific story, of entirely real life poo poo. Sometimes they put editors notes to reinforce the message, but usually it was just raw on the pages like this.

True stories from the Chicago Police Department.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I'd be fine with it if they wrote him more as a Mr. Burns type dickhead. Not like all the way, just like highlight that he's a greedy jerk more. They usually do that in the more lighthearted comics where he interacts with Donald and the nephews, like he'll cook up some wacky scheme and it'll backfire but he'll still profit in the end and completely fail to learn a lesson, and everyone else rolls their eyes. The stuff where he's a superhero and completely in the right like posted above is where it gets hard to read.

The panels posted here where from before he became rich. And like people have said before, once he becomes the multibillionaire we all know he loses pretty much everything that would make him happy, including his family.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Those are some ugly loving pencils and inks.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

And now, according to Hickman's run if him and Cyclops and Jean make it official, he's gonna have another daughter and a big-large adult son.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

That good poo poo.
https://twitter.com/XavierFiles/status/1188998786640760832

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Knew.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Yvonmukluk posted:

Aaron keeping to his 'would this look sick painted on the side of a van' writing philosophy, I see.

He's the best van painting writer in the biz.

From Avengers #13.
The first Iron Fist encounters a familiar visitor.

(Words: Aaron. Art: Sorrentino, Ponsor and Arciniega. Letterer: Petit).

Vincent fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 28, 2020

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

How do they know what being drunk is in the stone age

Booze is hella old.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Justice League Dark.
Zattana casts spells by talking backwards.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I read the entire One Piece manga (up until the current storyline's first dozen chapters I think) and it took me about 3 to 4 months, so take that as a sort of metric on how long it may take. (Reading 1 or 2 hours a day maybe). I used the Viz archives and a few collected volumes.
If you're trying to read it from the start, I suggest you go for the Viz archives, since the fan translation is famously lovely.

Edit: It's a really, really good comic when it fires in all cylinders and the action scenes are some of the best. Be aware though, that like almost all manga, it's gender politics are majorly hosed.

Vincent fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 20, 2020

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Spanish Matlock posted:

I never honestly thought Ivankov was that hosed up. I thought most of the hate went to the time skip Sanji runs from transwomen arc.

Yeah, I was talking more about how Sanji is "Sexual Harassment: The Character", the transwomen island where they are all depicted as a caricature with bad make-up and five o'clock beards and predatory actions towards any male character and the fact that Nami and Robin tend to be damsels in distress more than members of the straw-hats (Robin less so, but Nami...yikes!) even after the time skip. Most female characters get damseled quickly. (examples: The Dressrossa arc and the one with Crocodile).

Edit: Badass panel.

Context: The Avengers are trying to stop a Kree/Skrull armada from attacking the earth. Ghost Rider (Robbie Reyes) is an avenger. He can turn any vehicle into a hell vehicle. He's currently piloting the Quinjet.

(Empyre #1)

Vincent fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 23, 2020

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Since there are like a thousand Conan comics by dozens of publishers, what are the essential and good Conan comics?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Hey, quit it with all the spoilers. C'mon.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Infinitum posted:

It only took 10,000 loving chapters of backstory nonsense, but the Straw Hat crew is back together again in the latest chapter and ready for war!

Jinbei is officially a straw hat now? Finally!!!

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Nilbop posted:

That feels like a way more fitting name than Jennika, to be honest.

Yeah, I wonder if it was a case of IDW not being able to use the name because Sophie used it in her OC first and there could be some weird rights issue or something (not because of the artist of course, but like, legal crap).

So yesterday I bought some comics that had some pages drawn by a friend and another guy I know. When I came home, my Shortbox order was waiting for me and now I have a ton of great comics to read on the christmas break. That was a fun coincidence after a tough week at work.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Nilbop posted:

The robot poking out the other robot's eyes almost shut my brain down with the amount of questions I suddenly had.

In Alita when they say robots, think cyborg. All of 'em have a meat brain, and sometimes organic body parts.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Obviously they run with the concept but does Japanese have word to differentiate like English does? Do they just use loan words?

Funny that you say that, because robot is itself a loan word from the slavic robota.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

John Dyne posted:

My favorite isekai was Kemono Michi, which is about a pro-wrestler who gets sent to your stock standard fantasy world but his whole schtick is he fuckin' LOVES animals and refuses to beat up the beastmen and monsters because he wants to rub their tummies. He also suplexes the princess who summoned him.

That sound fun! Let me google images it aaaand...

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

The Phoenix Force has The Avengers and some other heroes and villains fight it out and the winner gets to be The Phoenix. It was basically a tournament arc in an american comic and it ruled.

In one round, Wolverine fought the Black Panther.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

site posted:

these are higher quality animations than the second season of the show lol

Flipbooks have better animation than the second season.