Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Can't let the first page of the Badass Panels thread go by without putting in the most badass of badass.

From Weird Fantasy #18, published in 1953.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Vincent posted:

To the people buying comics that they don't like, can you explain to me why?

Because I was hoping that things would turn around for Fables and it'd get some direction eventually, but by the time I realized that it wouldn't, it was already ending soon so I might as well finish it up. Ditto with The Walking Dead but I actually gave up on that because that poo poo is not going to end soon.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Man, when Reed Richards has that "that's hosed up" look, you know you've probably crossed some line.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Can someone post the Martian Manhunter doing something badass since every time I see him in anything, whether a panel thread or the JLA cartoon, he's just getting his rear end handed to him despite being as strong as Superman but with telepathy, shapeshifting, and incorporeality (albeit with a much more common weakness).

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

IUG posted:

That reminds me of that sci-fi short with the astronaut checking in on a robot society. It was also incredibly ahead of its time for when it was published.

I'll take any excuse to repost that comic.

GrandpaPants posted:

From Weird Fantasy #18, published in 1953.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

PunkBoy posted:

If it's not too much of a derail, can someone post the letters in response page?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Wisdom of Solomon definitely wasn't there when he (game plot spoiler) questioned Superman's methods. Also I like how the sound effect is THOOM.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

prefect posted:

I also love Top 10 to death. I just wish there were a way I could have figured out she was singing the Ode to Joy before the second page.

Speaking of the subtle things in Top 10 that accounts for so much of its character, I think it's funny that Syn's powers work through puns.

Ultima's perfume is likely called Eau de Joy

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

It's all undercut by the fact that the rest of them, except Obi Wan, died like chumps.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I don't care what generic white guy they get to play Black Bolt, but I'll be disappointed if his climactic one liner at the end of the movie isn't voiced by Gilbert Gottfried.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Then cap it off with Primer.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Elfface posted:

People shouldn't shoot at Superman - Everyone knows it's a thrown gun which is actually dangerous to him!

http://i.imgur.com/SBdHaNJ.mp4

You can't tell because it's in black and white but that gun is totally kryptonite green.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

prefect posted:

Yes. I think it involves perfume and music.

And a pun!

She hears Beethoven's Ode to Joy, but she smells the Commissioner's perfume, Eau de Joy

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

redbackground posted:

It also shows where that white handprint on his chest came from. I don't think there had been any foreshadowing just how sad a story it was.

Not how tragic, but there was definitely some foreshadowing about how bitter he was about where he came from. There's obviously the singing sword in one scene of Top 10, then there was a short conversation he had with his partner about how dragons and magic and all that was poo poo.

Nevvy Z posted:

Why didn't he kill it?

I imagine he was just incredibly demoralized about failing to be a hero.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

X-O posted:

Warren Ellis is fine when he can actually get a book out on time. The reason people are souring on him is his constant inability to do that, not the quality of his writing. I've learned my lesson after too many times now. I'm not going to buy another Ellis book until it has some collections out.

There was a Desolation Jones collection and then nothing else ;(

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-1_9-z9rbY

Edit: To stay on topic, here's a panel from John Lewis' March, which should be read in its entirety for the chronicle of badassery that it is.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 12, 2017

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Nilbop posted:

What was even the point of that.

"Hey guys, check out what my face can do!"

To solidify the fact that Sentry is the worst character.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Cassa posted:

Injustice 2 #1

I'm reminded of a similar line in Kingdom Come. I can't tell if this is a reference, since the syntax is pretty different, but I couldn't help but think about it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Did he ever actually use that gun on someone?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

I'm not sure why, but this looks very modern to me.

That's because Bill Sienkiewicz is timeless.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Superman should just make yellow suns everywhere like some sort of cosmic Johnny Appleseed.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

MH Knights posted:

Rockslide needs to be in the MCU someday.

The MCU needs to be worthy of Rockslide first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Really kinda undermines the moment to have a guy on space skis just kinda float into the scene.