Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I kinda feel like the sentence "Carnage is free" kind of implies that slaughtering is going on, to the point where it's stupid to even bring it up.

Also it's nice to see that the 90s tradition of getting artists who clearly don't know anything about the characters to draw symbiotes is not wholly dead, because Carnage doesn't have a Venom tongue.

McSpanky posted:

There's nothing badass about a psychopathic killer marine effortlessly slaughtering everyone within gun's reach while verbally stroking himself :psypop:

:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

Awesome and hilarious. I like the 'my family tree looks like two sticks jutting out of a dead raccoon', personally. They totally need to put that in a movie at some point. I guess the telepaths didn't have to work hard on Norman.

That's the beautiful part, they're not even particularly powerful telepaths, it's just that the entire team is, to varying degrees, barely hanging on to a semblance of sanity and humanity, so they basically just need a shove.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Infinity 4 aka dont gently caress with Thor (sorry for so many panels)

It's kinda weird that the weirdo alien stole Loki's "Is this not your natural state?" speech from the Avengers movie almost verbatim. I wonder if Hickman was trying to make some kind of point with that, or if he just straight up decided to rip off a memorable line from the movie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

coconono posted:

I liked Civil War in the way of "oh hey Marvel's showing us what an insane police state real life USA has become" but it was kinda flat imo.

Well it was pretty flaccid at doing that when the end of the story is the horribly wrong side being vindicated despite their cartoonish evil actions. And not even in a depressing way where the public thinks the good guys won but evil prevailed, either, it's straight up Tony Stark being like "Yeah, I was the good guy all along! Just ask my friend, the Hate-Monger!".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Thunderfinger posted:

Why was Spider Man going up against Snake from Metal Gear just then?

It was a really unfortunate phase Punisher recently got over.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah I mean I would have posted the one page in the art thread, personally.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Did Robert Kirkman write that?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mr. Maltose posted:

I don't think Galactus is being petty so much as after all the times Earth's heroes prevented him from eating it just waltzing in and chowing down would be a major anti-climax.

That's really petty for a cosmic entity beyond good and evil.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

It's actually heavily well-regarded and is seen as the best run for the character.

Low standards'll do that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

They're underrated because they're not interesting to read about, not because they're weak.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah, Ms. Marvel is not only gorgeous but is as far away from the boring "house" style as you can really get.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Apparently it's from Warhammer 40k, so yes, pretty much.

It`s really offputting to me how many WH40K fans and even later designers took the human empire from clearly evil corrupt fascism and turned it into glorious justified fascism.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dolash posted:

They also don't really have much of a shades of grey morality going on, considering the other side is screaming hell-demons straight out of a 70's airbrushed van painting. At this point the setting's basically designed to fit fascist rhetoric perfectly, complete with a Great Other and an Enemy Within that can't be reasoned with and has to be destroyed at all costs.

The real solution is to not take it seriously at all and treat it as the over-the-top absurd mish-mash of sci-fi elements it is, but at some point Games Workshop started playing everything straight-faced and it became unbearable.

The setting didn't just magically and organically get that way. People decided to remove the shades of grey and make the fascism righteous and cool. And as stupid as the setting is, it takes itself extremely seriously compared to its roots.

The REAL real solution is to not engage with that terrible franchise.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Introducing moral ambiguity to Star Wars is such a misguided idea.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Doing One Punch Man is already overkill.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The reason is they live in a country with a shitton of racism and not a lot of cultural diversity.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

Wait so people having big lips is racist?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Matlock posted:

From Supergirl 31:

There's a creature massacring everyone with relative ease. Supergirl attacks him, but he immediately gets the upper hand. Then this happens.

What's with the costume Supergirl's got on?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Very loosely based on the golden age character of the same name.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

7c Nickel posted:

QUESTION: Are you more badass than a 16 year old schoolgirl in a maid outfit?

ANSWER: NO. NO YOU ARE NOT.

Even a regular cosplaying high school girl in a maid outfit is more badass than me, so this comes as no surprise.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Also some writers just write her as completely posh british because that's their default voice for someone like her.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

Nope, that's Sandra Bullock again, he just made the mouth a little bigger and wider.

So Julia Roberts?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sorry, being a weapons manufacturer is way worse. At least Strange occasionally saved lives while being a raging prick.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't doubt it was, but does a naked fight consisting of pokes have anything to do with social commentary?

Unless Tony Stark's bing-bong is a metaphor for capitalism or something.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wasn't there a second Squadron Sinister Hyperion in Thunderbolts?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

"I'm totally not Batman!" *does a flying karate kick like Neal Adams Batman always did*

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

The JMS one is fine but like a lot of his recent stuff it just kind of peters out as he loses interest.

I think he lost interest because the series was inexplicably moved from the MAX line, tanking its sales and limiting what he could write about.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Cassa posted:

So Injustice Year Two, quick recap, Superman has soldiers on the streets of Gotham enforcing marshal law,

?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The payoff is unfortunately the mediocre events of the video game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I wonder if Martian Manhunter will undie by the time the series ends. He's in the game, but only as DLC, and you could argue he's the one from the "good" universe...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

redbackground posted:

Green Arrow is currently dead in the comic, right? Sooooo he has to come back too?

No, he's super-dead in the game, you only play as the good universe version (in story mode).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Vakal posted:

Since Scorpion made a cameo in Injustice, I can only hope than means there's a chance that Alfred could be a DLC character in the new Mortal Kombat.

I love that Scorpion in Injustice essentially has the same role Kratos had in MK9: angry violent jerk who has no idea how he got here and will use spiked chains to get some answers.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Weird lips aside, that's probably how She-Hulk should look most of the time, as opposed to "Tall swimsuit model with green skin".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Calaveron posted:

From what I've seen the Injustice run is the loving badassest thing ever.
While the actual game blows loads.

It's a great game! <:mad:>

It's just got an awful story mode

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

Where did all this hate for the game come from? I've only heard generally positive things about it other than a lame story.

Well there's a couple of people in the absolutely execrable "fighting game community" who hate it for not being a Capcom style fighter, but that's about all I've heard. I can only assume most people who talk poo poo on it never actually played it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wanderer posted:

It also had a problem for a while there, IIRC, where you either played as Superman or you went the gently caress home. MKvDC had a similar problem with Flash and Green Lantern.

Eh, that was never really true. Superman is top tier but he was never game breakingly strong, even before the first patch. I know one tournament had basically nothing but Superman in the finals, but that's because a lot of the other competitors didn't play their characters very well, and Superman is a lot more straightforward to learn.

MK vs DC's Flash had an infinite that was almost impossible to not fall into. The games are like night and day. It's nuts how much Netherealms improved since the days of churning out things like MK: Deception.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

Also that "one tournament" was Evo 2013, the biggest fighting game tournament of the year.

Just makes it all the more embarrassing that the players had such a poor showing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Isn't the Blob's power actually gravity control, and he's just really stupid?

Someday I'll find the X-writer who decided to make every stupid power secretly an AMAZING MOLECULAR POWER that the user was too dumb to use properly, and I will end them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

My mom won't buy me it. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That's so lame. Is every character on the roster going to no-sell the penance stare through technicalities? It's supposed to make you feel the weight of your sins, you're not supposed to be able to wiggle out of it due to your mindset.