Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
There was hype, but no in-story build-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
If a writer wants to either introduce a new trans character or establish an existing one as trans, the first step would be to pitch it to the editor. I dunno what would happen after that, but since you cite Al Ewing, maybe you could tweet him and ask how it worked for Dr. McGowan.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah that was the one. It was kind of a weird idea that even the book itself didn't really go into that much.

He borrowed it from one of Elliot S! Maggin's novels, don't recall which at the moment.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

His husband is the king of space. It would be gauche not to invite them.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

It's not a good comic by any stretch of the imagination, but the answer is yes:

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

One thing about Thunderbird: Sinister gave himself Thunderbird's DNA for some reason, and Sinister is on the Quiet Council. So it might have to do with him just being up to something.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Before he (presumably) buried his face in a mountain of coke and became a permanent edgelord, Millar did do some keen issues of Superman Adventures.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

radlum posted:

Was it always the plan to reveal that Peter’s parents coming back was Harry’s posthumous scheme? Or was that a quick retcon to get rid of them?

I don't think they had a plan.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

bessantj posted:

One problem I did have is there are several Spider-Man titles and I don't have access to all of them so plot points that appear in issues of The Amazing Spider-Man suddenly disappear.

This reminded me I never did learn how MJ's cousin's eating disorder was resolved.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

I think Sinister giving himself some of John Proudstar's DNA has something to do with it. They need a DNA sample to grow a husk, and they contracted with Sinister to make their library. So maybe the jerk said, "Sorry, couldn't find any bits of John Proudstar big enough," and saved the sample for himself.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Yeah, that run's take on the Amazons was hideous, so I'm fine with it being memory holed.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

I thought it was some kind of staff, for the week or so before it vanished to the pocket dimension where lost accessories go.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Another good, short-lived DC series from the late '90s is Vext.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

I loved the hell out of Nick Spencer's run.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I thought the point of the 616 designation was mostly just mocking DC for making the universe most of their books take place in "Earth-1"

That's exactly it. It's an arbitrary number because the numbers aren't important to the story. That's the joke.

This being comics, pretty much nobody got it.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

I loved T-Bolts 51-75 and was chewing nails when they announced the new direction. Patrick Zircher's art is the bee's rollerskates.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Impulse apparently was running through Hypertime like right before Flashpoint and when he got back, everything was post-Rebirth. And, being Impulse, he kinda just rolled with it.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

X-Cutioner's Song was my first big crossover, so 10-11 year old me took it very seriously.

Re-reading it a couple years ago, my main thought was, "This is pretty dumb." Although I still love Kamikaze's death in X-Factor 85.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

bessantj posted:

Thank you for your replies. I'm glad it's only 13 issues, after Secret Wars II 40 odd issue run I don't think I can take a crossover that big again, just so much of nothing happens.

I have very bad news for you about every crossover of the 21st century.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Gambit and Rogue were in X-Treme X-Men.

e: beaten like the '90s/'00s readers who were expecting prime-era Claremont and got... something else

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Yeah, looking on the Marvel wiki, it looks like it was a fill-in between the end of Len Wein's run and the start of Marv Wolfman's. The Dreaded Deadline Doom must have reared its head.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

I mean, it's not too far from the truth, since DeFalco created Night Thrasher after seeing that skateboard magazines were big sellers at newsstands.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Gwen was also really different in character under Ditko than Romita. Kind of a Veronica Lodge type.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

If you listen to Scott Lobdell he planted seeds for it, but Lobdell is the kind of guy who would try to retroactively grab credit.

Lobdell was definitely planting seeds in Rogue and Iceman's post-AOA road trip, and in Bobby's interactions with his dad (whose whole vibe is "my son is gaymutant and I can't handle it"). Nobody else really ran with it, though, until Chuck Austen, when Northstar joins the team and is instantly, "Bobby's so closeted he's in Narnia".

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

SiKboy posted:

It is, "Confession" I think.

Correct, along with Vol. 1 of the recent "Metrobook" collections.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

This is the part where I note that, for a couple issues during the original run, Scott worked as a college radio DJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

I'm deciding on my X-pulls in the post-Krakoa era. What are people's opinions on Jed MacKay?