Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I hope this is the right place.

I was recently recommended Thor, God of Thunder by Jason Aaron as a good run to read. I have heard that there is another essential Thor run by a guy named Walt Simonson, I think, and i was wondering if anyone could tell me what issues those were.

And I guess if you could point out where a complete newbie to comicdom could find that information for myself that would be cool too lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Awesome thanks guys.

Squizzle posted:

What's your preferred format? If it's single issues, #337-382, released in the mid-'80s. If you prefer hardcovers, trade paperbacks, oversized hardcovers, various special editions with production notes and uncolored pencil drawings and all that jazz, or digital comics, then you should also let us know that and someone could link you directly to Amazon or Comixology listings that suit your needs.

Your best bet for finding answers like that is just asking, although comics.org and comicbookdb.com can also bombard you with all the information you need.

Oh yeah, good idea I'll keep that in mind.

zoux posted:

Sounds like the person that recommended you God of Thunder is a handsome genius with impeccable taste in comics and probably everything really.

They didn't recommend the Simonson run so obviously they aren't that great.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Why did Thor Odinson lose the hammer?

Are the nine realms like other dimensions or universes or are they just really far away planets?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

bobkatt013 posted:

Nick Fury whispered something that caused him to no longer be worthy.

I take it we don't know what it was he said yet? Did Fury tell him to intentionally gently caress with him or did he not know that would happen?

zoux posted:

Don't think too hard about the relationship of the Asgardian cosmology to the Marvel reality, imo.

Yeah I'm not gonna sweat it too much, I was just curious.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You know it didn't occur to me until just now, thinking about gwenpool's knowledge of the MU being a fictional place, I wonder of antiman, Galactus, and Eternity are eluding to also knowing that fact in ultimates #5.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

prefect posted:

She gave Jane Foster cancer. :tinfoil:

Seriously? And EMH was very much endearing me to the character :(

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
After reading everything Hickman did from ff through secret wars, I can't believe Reed gave Victor his face back but no one in the entire future foundation thought to make Ben a normal person again when remaking the universe, even though that was literally their first project together.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
As someone who doesn't actually read xmen, I always come up with a combo of 90s cartoon xmen and the arcade game, so like the cartoon team plus colossus and nightcrawler I guess.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Ghostlight posted:

Yes. In fact, from a kryptonite ring that Batman now keeps in his Batcave in case he has to fight Superman.

Doesn't Superman know bats is Wayne? What would keep him from just leveling the manor/cave?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CzarChasm posted:

In the Injustice story? He tries. Twice. First time around Alfred (hopped up on super-pills) beats the ever living poo poo out of Superman. .

Do you know what issue this is? I gotta see that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Okay yeah, that was definitely badass!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Ghostlight posted:

Well for a start the cave now has kryptonite in it.

tbh I'm not that familiar with Superman (or DC in general for that matter) so I dunno how much a small ring's worth of kryptonite affects him. Like, would it just being in the cave shut down all his powers if he's within 500 yards or something?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
What became of that whole THE JOKER'S TRUE IDENTITY WILL BE REVEALED!!! that happened a while back? Who is he really for sure this time?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hmmm well that not asking any follow up questions sure makes the World's Greatest Detective sound like a pretty huge moron and having there be three jokers kinda craps on the whole yin/yang thing him and Bats have going on.

So that's a bummer.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I think Hickman really drove the point home just how big the Avengers roster is in Infinity I think it was when Cap called up everybody and it like 40 people.

But I would say off the top of my head my list would be Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Black Panther, Wasp, Hawkeye, Vision, and Captain Marvel. Personally I would have Hulk on there too, but admittedly he's more part-time than full.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Toxxupation posted:

Well the whole point of Hickman's run on Avengers was that Tony Stark convinces Steve Rogers to vastly expand the scope of the Avengers. Even when, yeah, the Avengers is literally dozens of people - and the idea of the Builder War is that they end up liberating all these planets who, in turn, become Avengers themselves, so eventually the Avengers number in the thousands - the whole concept of it was that it was this temporary conscription of people to handle a universal threat. Again, like a job.

I just meant that excluding the brand new characters like ex nihlo and Hyperion, the bench was already deep enough with inactive avengers that their numbers reached into the 40s-50s.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Every once in a while I come across a post talking about how some art is [publisher]'s "house style". I'm still pretty new to the comics game, so can you guys fill me in on what features define the art of DC and Marvel? Do either or both of them have actual style guides for artists to use that I could look at or are they unofficial?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Who is Jim Lee?

I see there is a good art/bad art thread, I think I'll take a look through there and see if anyone has done some house style example posts.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Thanks for the responses yesterday, everybody. I appreciate the help :)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Jeeze I'm surprised the recap page is so (relatively) recent. You would think something like that would've been thought of way sooner.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lurdiak posted:

The completely bullshit reason Marvel gave for years was that having a whole entire extra page would cost way too much and then they'd have to raise prices! They'd hate to stick it to the customer like that.

Do you know what finally made them change their tune? Was there a vocal demand from readers going on at the time or something?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That's hosed up

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CzarChasm posted:

Finally getting around to starting comixology, it looks like they have pretty much everything. I know what I want from the big two, but I want to know about good jumping on points for a few series

Transformers (I know there's MTMTE and I want to say Robots in Disguise series)
TMNT
Ghostbusters

Also it looks like they have issues the day they come out or at least the week they come out? Marvel still has about a week delay, right?

Ghostbusters International is the name of the current run. It is the latest part in a continuity spanning multiple volumes, but it's self contained and explains previous stuff when necessary in the recaps. tbh I haven't read most of the older stuff and I haven't had any problems.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

People seem to think the Punisher in his new series is Ultimate Frank Castle for some reason.

I really cant believe anybody at marvel cares enough about punisher to something as needlessly complex as that

Not to mention the fact that thats really dumb

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CharlestheHammer posted:

But UU Frank isn't all that different?

I meant that the idea that marvel replaced Frank with the ultimate version without saying anything about it and that this was somehow magically gleaned from a whopping two issues that have not mentioned anything about this is dumb. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CharlestheHammer posted:

I didn't mean to imply ya did!

Oh okay, well then just ignore that then :ohdear:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I would like to see Kate get her own book or at least gave bigger supporting roles elsewhere, she's a cool character.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

The idea was that you have to stop acting like a child by 21.

Just lol

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Fox news
Breitbart
Myspace

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
But I just started using Twitter.

At least fellow olds are using it to keep me informed of the news I guess...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tangent to current topic: I've heard many times in different places about the importance of crisis on infinite earths to DC and I just get more and more curious about it. As someone with extremely limited experience with the actual universe would it be something I could read and still be able to follow since i know of the justice league and its members, but don't have any knowledge of their history, other than basic outlines? Secondly, if I can read it, is it a self contained series or is it spread out through various books that I would need to look for?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

redbackground posted:

I'm in the middle of a massive CoIE binding project and I will write you a more detailed post later!

<3

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's kinda weird to think about just how low book sales are. 20k domestic is good out of a population of 320 million. dang :(

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Endless Mike posted:

Diamond publishes their direct sales numbers. They're available on comichron.com. Comic Beat does a monthly analysis of the numbers comparing to previous sales that's pretty good.

Oh this is cool

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

Most shops take issue with the ICV2 numbers because there is no system in place to account for unsold copies of books which would often times tell a much different story. Also they rarely include adjusted data from returnable books correctly.

Do you know if comichron does this?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So I got a question about previews. I've been starting to take a peak at the weekly releases thread and there's a lot of stuff coming out that i just have no idea what it is. Are the preview you guys talk about a thing that has like a short synopsis of upcoming books or are they just like straight bulk order pricing mags with no descriptions? I'm just trying to find something faster than just going down the list one by one and googling them.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Oh look it's exactly what i need. Thank you :)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Was having captain marvel's last name be danvers an intentional nod to Supergirl or coincidental?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Totally forgot I posted this last night lol

Ghostlight posted:

Most probably coincidental. Carol Danvers was just a supporting character for the first decade of her existence who shared no other similarities with Supergirl beyond the last name, so if it was an intentional nod it was the kind you get from someone you've never met from across the street.

Okay cool. I was just thinking last night that they're both blonde superwomen with the last name Danvers and was like hmmmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Well they are/were both dating a guy named James too...

"J-james..."

:tinfoil:

(Okay tv kara is, dunno about comic kara)

Who goes down in the fight though

site fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 2, 2016