Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
This is a prose fiction thing, not a comic book thing but every teen novel I read is about justifying the war crimes those teens eventually commit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
She would have been a teenager when a bunch of teenage and young adult boys were being drafted for Vietnam.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-Cutionar's Song is an X-Men/X-Force crossover that happens to have some X-Factor members in it. It's probably a fun read if you were following that era of those two books, but I read it while working through Claremont and so didn't care much for it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bizarrely it's Bohemian Rhapsody, including the harmonies

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How Wonderful! posted:

He was in Marauders a year or two ago but it might have been a different guy with the same name/costume.

He was? I have no memory of that and Marauders was my favorite of the first batch of Krakoa era comics.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A lot of crossovers have time in issues you absolutely don't need to read if you're just reading the crossover.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

There's no set schedule for Absolute editions coming back in print but DC are loving idiots if they aren't printing more right this minute. Sandman has been something that always sells well even before the Netflix series.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, this is Sabretooth's first appearance

He might be bigger in later stuff but that's like 90% of what I think Sabretooth is.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Someone who isn't phone posting dig up the first time he fought Wolverine, because I'm pretty sure he was beefy then.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Madkal posted:

I'm re-reading New X-Men by GMo for the first time since I bought the trades ages ago. I hadn't really read X-Men since Age of Apocalypse so I know there is a huge gap between then and New X-Men but reading New X-Men now I'm wondering what the status of X-Men was months before New X-Men came out. They mention Cyke being mind controlled by who I assume was Apocalypse so I guess that was a thing. What happened to Gambit and Rogue though as they aren't mentioned at all in New X-Men? Was there another team running around during New X-Men? Was there any big stuff going on a year before? I'm just wondering because outside of the Cyke stuff it doesn't really reference much going on outside of itself.
Also on a side note I got to say that the comic treats the death of 16 million people kind of as an afterthought. You would think that there would be wider consequences for that.

It took twenty years for it to be really acknowledged.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

So I just saw this tweet and I'm wondering, who's the fourth?

https://twitter.com/DanSchkade/status/1586206596832452608?s=20&t=4jviLKaLqC0nRnM-JRTcug

There's Wanda, Pietro, Lorna and who else?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Go with that wikipedia list, because the back of the book is wrong. COVID and then later distribution issues makes the back of the book incredibly inaccurate for when poo poo actually came.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nessus posted:

It would make sense to give characters who are showing up with the expectation of "you know who this is" with human name/mutant name/power outline and/or clever joke if they're real obscure. You probably don't have to do it for some people unless you're doing a team intro.

I feel like Ewing and Gillen do that a lot in team books.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I think Ms Marvel has done it a few times. I remember something like that when she meets Wolverine for the first time.

I think when it happens it's a one off gag referencing the manga/anime trope, but not a regular narrative occurrence. And it'll be artists with more influence from anime/manga sources. Like, I'm pretty sure it happens a decent amount in Avatar, but while that's a Western production it's obviously very, very heavily influenced by anime.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

He'll be public domain in a couple years, I think they're just trying to squeeze every last dollar.

I hope when Conan is public domain Marvel will throw all their Conan stuff up on Marvel unlimited.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Regardless of the quality of the Spider-verse comics, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse was both a financially successful and critically acclaimed movie that has a sequel coming out in the next year or two. So you're gonna see more Spider-Verse comics between now and then.

(Also probably the best Spider-Man movie since Spider-Man 2, it deserves every accolade it's ever gotten)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bessantj posted:

I very much enjoyed that movie and am looking forward to the sequel.

Absolutely. Waiting on tenterhooks for the trailer even.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bessantj posted:

I have found in the past that there have been tie-in issues that I've enjoyed far more than the main series in an event. I thought the tie in issue in Civil War where Ben Grimm gently caress off to France because he's had enough was good.

That's true of a lot of bad Marvel events. Like, Fear Itself isn't horrible, but it's not good, it also gave us Journey Into Mystery with Kid Loki and that's probably one of my favorite comics of that era.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, Gail Simone had a really good run on Red Sonya, and wrote a large multiverse crossover including Sonya, Vampirella, Dejah Thoris and several other characters I didn't recognize.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vandar posted:

Grimm Fairy Tales built their entire existence on cheesecake covers. I refuse to believe that anyone has actually read the inside of one of them.

(Now this is the part when someone mentions some kind of amazing storyline that Grimm did, right?)

They're just mediocre horror retellings of fairy tales. No where near as horny as the covers are. And art wise it's clear the publisher spent more on the cover than the 22 pages inside. If it weren't for the covers the only reason not to hand it to your 12 year old nephew/niece is the might think it was boring.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Marvel was still being run by that chud Perlmutter at the time, wasn't it?

yup.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

Didn’t they give Firestar big pointy cat-eye glasses like the target in all those “triggered blue-hair feminist” memes from that time? It almost seems like they were trolling people.

This quote from the creator seems like it could be read as an incredibly sarcastic dig at how dated and out-of-touch the concepts in the original series were:

Oh, now it makes sense, they were trying to be as now as The New Warriors were in 1990, so they pretty much hit the mark.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

I feel like even in 1989, "negro" should probably not appear in official company memos. Especially when you seem fine to use "black guy" and even "African American" elsewhere in the same document.

You should look up who Dwayne McDuffie was before you post in the comic book forum ever again.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Hear me out, what if you combine them. Make Peter a teacher at a specialized school. Like perhaps one for mutants. It gives him a day job that allows him to teach and mentor others but leaves him open for superheroics. And he absolutely won't get any of his students killed.

Both the PS4 game and Spider-verse both have him (and later Miles) doing Youtube/twitter stuff.

That was the Spider-Man and the X-Men comic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Plus early Marvel happened in close to real time at the start. Peter is 15 when he gets his powers, so likely a high school sophomore and as pointed out, it's only 3 years later he graduates.

Compared to Ultimate Spider-Man, which started in 1999 and Peter is still in high school when he dies in 2011.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 23, 2023

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Episode 8 of Cerebrocast is about Bobby Drake, and if there's anyone who's going to tease out every single possible hint of Iceman being gay it's going to be that podcast. I might listen to it soon (I like Cerebrocast, but the episodes are sooooooo long. It's funnybecause that's refered to as a "Giant Size" episode at two and a half hours back in 2020, basically none of his episodes now are less than 3 hours and he just did 5 part series on Madelyn Pryde).

But yeah, the first issue of Uncanny X-Men has everyone else in the O-5 being excited about finally having a girl at the school and Bobby being all "girls are dumb" though I assume Lee/Kirby's intention with that originally was just highlighting that he's the youngest member, but that was also 70 years ago.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, there's nothing I would have been less interested in as a 16 year old boy at a previously all boys school than an 18 year old girl.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

Has Jean ever been called out for how she outed Bobby? It was an extremely lovely thing to do

I think so. Like in the next issue or something maybe?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I dunno, I dig most of his Punisher MAX and his first two arcs in Hellblazer are probably the best two arcs in an incredibly strong book that ran for 300 issues. Preacher has aged a little poorly, but there's good bits in that too.

Edit: I also dug his book about the Soviet lady sniper in WW2.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

This could be faulty memory or me just having bad taste at the time, but I seem to recall his short arc in Spider-Man's Tangled Web being not too bad and showing that he could get the character if he wanted to, and I'm not beyond finding his take on Wolverine in The Punisher really loving funny in a Looney Tunes way.

I don't know, I get cape fatigue sometimes too, but I really resent that shortly after I got into American superhero comics as a teen, the trendy thing to do was to write about how you're too cool for the subject matter.

The Thousands was pretty good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I think Eddie Brock's kid has been a thing for a long while now, like either since before the whole Knull thing or at the very start of it at the latest.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lobok posted:

Has there ever been a mutant who did the opposite? Abandon their former name and truly adopt their "codename" as their actual name?

I think a bunch of people did at the start of the Krakoa era.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I feel like the knuckle tats would have been in her "what I want back when rezzed" list like Karma still missing a leg and the adamantium in Wolverine.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Actually, didn't Kate get the knuckle tats after she was rezzed? She didn't have a grudge against Shaw until Shaw killed her.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

He was a bit of a depressed mope after his wife died, but he did have some significant moments of being awesome in the Claremont run. The era of post Claremont until New X-Men is probably the one I know the least about so maybe he was terrible during that? I think a lot of it comes directly from the 90s cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I'm deciding on my X-pulls in the post-Krakoa era. What are people's opinions on Jed MacKay?

Very, very good.