Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Servoret posted:

Tom DeFalco stole that ending from an earlier Grandmaster story in Giant-Size Defenders #3. There, Daredevil saves the day by challenging Grandmaster to a double or nothing bet based on a coin toss, and then rigs the coin toss by using his super-senses to feel how he has to flip the coin to produce the result that he needs. And then the Grandmaster just decides to honor the bet and fucks off instead of conquering Earth. Also, there's an art mistake that makes it look like Daredevil announces the result of the coin toss wrong, making the ending even more dumb than it already is.

(The Grandmaster honoring the bet he makes with Daredevil could arguably be in character for him, except the only reason that the bet happens at all is that Grandmaster betrays an agreement he makes with the Defenders not to try to conquer Earth when they sign on to play in his game to begin with.)

As much as I like Steve Gerber's Defenders run, that's probably the worst Defenders story he ever wrote. DeFalco's ending makes much more sense. I really liked those Avengers annuals too.
ope, reread it.

frodnonnag fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

He says it in the fourth panel of the second page in the dialogue box that is so closely crammed in with a thought balloon that it's easy to mistake it as more thinking.

yeah, sometimes older comics are insane at trying to follow just from text density.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Where's the modern pages of this guy?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

X-O posted:

Yeah that's a point in the comics. She had no idea when she was near death the control removed and she could heal herself, it just happened when she almost died. And then it hosed up her powers for a while. That was not too long before I just lost track of the book.

her powers got hosed up because she was pregnant, not because of near death

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

Does anyone actually like Duke?

He'd actually have to be in a current running comic for me to form an opinion