Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Edit: Nevermind wrong thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Rochallor posted:

Are there any examples of heroic characters permanently turning villainous? Going in the opposite direction there's too many examples to count, but I can't think of a single example of a good guy permanently going bad, or even for an extended amount of time (say, 10 years). Closest I can think of is Jason Todd, and I haven't been following DC stuff for a while but I think he's more of an antihero these days.

Maxwell Lord and The Chief.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Barry is still the Flash with the most blood on his hands.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Lab Rats is bad but the ending of killing them all is hilarious

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Uthor posted:

So, like, no one knows yet? Or is it a spoiler?

We may never know either. :cool:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Pastry of the Year posted:

If healing factors in comics fascinate you, check out Wolverine: The Best There Is. It's a miniseries that pulls some ocean trench-deep cuts up for supporting characters, and it's deeply weird and gory and a bit shaggy around the edges but I got a huge kick out of the ideas and situations in it.

This entire comic is absolutely psychotic and is a must read for Wolverine bullshit.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Cubone posted:

Not quite on topic, because they are heroes, but issue 6 of Gillen's Young Avengers was almost nothing but Speed and Prodigy using their powers working lovely jobs that they hate, and it's a cool little peak into that world.

The issue opens with like 4 pages of Prodigy just sitting at a desk answering technical support calls for ninjas.

It also very lightly implies that this is just the sort of thing c-list superheroes do to make ends meet when they're not on any teams, which is fun to think about. Haven't seen Gravity in a while? Maybe he is doing some specialized work for the space program. :shobon:

Lol the poverty rate around the world must be awful. No wonder all the terrorist organizations have an endless supply of mooks. Their destitute lives can't get worse.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Skwirl posted:

Have you heard about the gig economy?

How do you think I post?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Lex Luther eats lead so superman can not see hin.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
90% of the DC comics during the 50s suck.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Starro was the best justice league villain and Jarro is the best justice league hero.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
What is the best site to buy single issues of comic book runs? mycomicshop?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Rhyno posted:

Are you looking for piecemeal issues or entire runs? Because for entire runs you can't beat Ebay. I sold a ton of complete sets on EBay through 2018.

Piecemeal. I've been having better luck on Mercari for cheaper incomplete runs that I was looking for.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Rhyno posted:

MCS is probably your best bet then.

Thanks Rhyno!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

bessantj posted:

Was "Heroes in Crisis" any good?

Arguably the worst event since Identiry Crisis.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

bessantj posted:

It's quite disappointing because a super hero murder mystery does sound like it could be fun. What makes Heroes in Crisis so bad? Is Batman: Hush good for the mystery thing?

Wat if heroes had PTSD like me. What if the PTSD is caused by me figuring out everything I believed is a lie. What if I write a story where I have ptsd because I found out the war crimes I did because of a lie overwhelmed me and I tried to pin it on other victims of ptsd.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

TwoPair posted:

The Phantom Stranger has been literally Judas Iscariot since the New 52 and I hate it.

This sucks so much. Thanks for reminding me

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Bring back Mirror Man. A mad scientist type villain whose gimmick is mirror poo poo and only has 2 major appearances. The biggest thing is he found out batman is Bruce Wayne and batman used that to drive the man insane. Not joking.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Skwirl posted:

Why didn't he just sell the submarine then?

And be homeless?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
There are humans that are allowed to live on a part of Krakoa. They can not be resurrected by the island though.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

SonicRulez posted:

Were all 90s comics bad?

No. A lot were the product of there time and need to be viewer in that context.

Edit: DC had a number of good series.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Bring back Jack of hearts

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Vincent posted:

Well that's dissapointing. I was thinking about getting back to reading some DC comics : c

Lol there are good books, but lmao

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
It sucks to hear valiant is bad now, but nothing can survive the squeeze

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I'm glad I never read Glenpool. Both those scenes suck.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
More blue devil is good.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

radlum posted:

Recently read the 80s Peacekeeper miniseries and thought it was really boring. I know Kupperberg also did Vigilante, was that one any better?

You won't like it

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I mean all comic book enjoyers are subliterate degenerates. Wouldn't say the writers or artists are. A lot of editors definitely are.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

NikkolasKing posted:

So, I know this is comics and thus asking for a consistent portrayal of a long-lived character is pretty silly, but how is Ra's Al Ghul generally depicted in Batman comics? Is he a monster who just wears a friendly face or is there something genuinely noble about him?

I dunno, I'm just thinking of my favorite Batman animated stuff and in the Under the Red Hood movie he saves Jason's life and is portrayed pretty positively. But I was also thinking of the DCAU where his "ending" there was how he possessed Talia's body, pretty much confirming beyond a shadow of a doubt that he he was a supremely selfish piece of poo poo and cared about no one else. These are very different takes and I'm just wondering which might be closer to the comics.

A monster who wears a friendly face.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

muscles like this! posted:

Yes to Dick, not sure about Jason.

Jason seemed to be more of a foster kid.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, didn't they make it explicit that he'd only been Batman for 5 years at the very start of New 52 Batman? 4 Robins in 5 years, one of which died.

5 robins

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Beerdeer posted:

Who is this Corsair-looking guy on the left? This is from the Kamandi Challenge book.

Donovan Flint of the Star Hunters.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Madkal posted:

It has some awesome Jae Lee before he was the Jae Lee art.

Went to Google his art and lmao

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Cassa posted:

Anyone remember the name of the pre-knightfall batman comic where he has his back broken and has to transfer his mind into his GF/Nurse's brothers body to still fight crime?

Detective comics 598-600

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Cassa posted:

Thank you!

Thought it was more standalone. Been compiling a lil pile of books that do the Bane thing pre-Dixon for a mate.

Did you grab the first appearances of Venom and and the first appearances of the island it is made?

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 28, 2022

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Lobok posted:

There was specifically a villain though, not one of his usual. He was big and I wanna say he had a hood?

Lmao come on

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Lobok posted:

What? I didn't come into the thread asking people to solve the mystery, I just mentioned it because Cassa reminded me of it and it's exactly the kind of thing they're talking about. Google is garbage now so I don't know if I'll ever find the article again.

Cassa and I were talking about the exact run.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I never realized dick disappeared after Jason's death. When does he interact with Tim for the first time?

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 8, 2022

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

They first meet during the Lonely Place of Dying storyline.

Oh yeah. I forgot about Tim's entire stupid origin lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Beerdeer posted:

I know the Justice Society is the real hotness, but is there any mention of the All-Star Squadron recently?

Post COIE the All-Star Squadron was essentially rolled into the JSA.