Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Vandar posted:

That was such a lovely preview thing, especially giving it away on FCBD.

Just lmao-ing at them giving this away and thinking anyone would want to read the series afterwards.

Jesus Christ, DC. Just when I thought you couldn't get any worse.

TwoPair posted:

The Flash and the Speed Force are, to me, a problem of fans growing up (and to a lesser extent nowadays, the internet). There's a quote from Grant Morrison I love: "Kids understand that real crabs don’t sing like the ones in The Little Mermaid. But you give an adult fiction, and the adult starts asking really loving dumb questions like ‘How does Superman fly? How do those eyebeams work? Who pumps the Batmobile’s tires?’ It’s a loving made-up story, you idiot! Nobody pumps the tires!"

The Flash is the Fastest Man Alive™, you shouldn't have to make up a dumb force to explain how he's not insane, but now you have people trying to apply real-world physics to how a human can run so quickly and not burn his skin off or whatever, and the answer is just shut up and enjoy it.

(this comment isn't a slam on you Cornwind Evil, just a general sort of venting about various poo poo youtube keeps feeding me about how various superheroes are unrealistic. It is a minor annoyance when reading Big Two comics how wildly heroes' power levels can differ in between books)

The thing is, kids were asking those questions going right back to the 1950's and silver age books were packed with details on this stuff worked. Why doesn't the Flash burn up when he runs that fast? Well, he has an aura that protects him from the effects of the speed. Why doesn't Superman's clothes burn up? Well, it's made from his Kryptonian baby blanket that Ma Kent unwound slowly and re-weaved. Hey kids, here's Steve Ditko's cutaway drawing of how Spider-Man's web shooters work. None of the explanations made any sense, either, of course, but there's always been a subset of fans out there who are really into finding out the hows and whys of their favorite superheroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

Franklin Richards's Counter-Earth hasn't really been mentioned since this Doom mini-series in 2000.

Counter-Earth (the one that High Evolutionary made back in the 1970s) has been recreated, kidnapped, destroyed, depopulated, etc. a bunch of times, and last appeared at the end of Mark Waid's Avengers and Champions runs.

So you are both right!

I thought that was a third Counter-Earth that was created and used in that run. Or maybe fourth.

Possibly fifth.

goddamned there are a lot of counter-earths.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I believe he got the Captain Universe powers?

Yeah. It was part of the Acts of Vengeance crossover where for about three months villains generally associated with other characters would attack different heroes. Spider-Man wasn't part of the main story, but for fun they decided to have Spider-Man take on villains that were way out of his league and part of that was being "Super Spider-Man". He had all of those extra superpowers and at the end of the arc it turned out to be because he had gotten the Captain Universe powers.

Captain Universe, of course, is "the hero who could be you!" and was a forgotten gimmick where a regular Joe would get into danger and then suddenly manifest superpowers that went away when the danger was over. Why they stuck to Spidey is part of the storyline.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

If you think about it Wolverine would be kind of lovely. There's so many things with his powers that should gently caress him up. Wolverine doesn't have to deal with things like non-stop concussions from his brain smashing into an indestructible skull or cancerous tumors healing themselves and growing like he's Tetsuo at end of Akira. Those hyper senses leaving him constantly overwhelmed. The effects of carrying around the massive skeleton don't come up unless some writer remembers he shouldn't be able to swim.

Which isn't to say that it should be that way in the comics, realism isn't a requirement for escapist fantasies. It does make me a bit annoyed at how Wolverine is written because "always ultimate badass" is really boring.

If Marvel was ever stupid enough to let me write a Wolverine comic, I'd have him lose his adamantium and then it would be like if he took off his weighted training clothes. :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The lesbian Legionnaires plot was kind of odd. Not for the characters involved who were getting about as heavily hinted at being gay as you could get in an 80's book. However after what felt like a lead up to them "coming out", there's a very sudden hard swerve into one of them being really into a boy. I'd say you could feel the editorial mandate, except Paul Levitz was the publisher so if he wanted Light Lass and Shrinking Violet (I think it was those two, one was definitely LL) to be at least bi then there would be nothing stopping him. I suspect he started getting pushback from other sources and caved.

One of the only good things in the Five Years Later Legion is those two wind up together in the end.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

Wolverine, the guy with built in knives, definitely needs a sword as an accessory.

Please address your complaints to Chris Claremont on this one.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It's been inconsistent over the years. Sometimes he's jelly while unconscious and sometimes he's just a guy while unconscious.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

This is always hilarious to me when I find Anglophones where it doesn't. I need a video of someone saying "Squirrel Girl" where it's not a rhyme.

She was used pretty well in New Avengers when she was Luke Cage and Jessica Jones' babysitter for a few issues, and then 90% of her character growth happened in the Unbeatable Squirrel Girl by Ryan North and Erica Henderson.

Her comeback was actually in the Great Lakes Avengers Disassembled miniseries, which was the first time anyone used her since that Marvel Super Heroes book. That was the basis for North's Squirrel Girl series as one of the running gags in the GLA book was cutting back to what Squirrel Girl was doing and she's just defeated some cosmic threat off panel:

After that Bendis used Squirrel Girl a bit but not as much fun and then the Squirrel Girl series started.

Edit: I was just flipping through the GLA book and I guess I misremembered which comic the Thanos bit was from. Oh well, still funny.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 5, 2022

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Soonmot posted:

Only recent history, it was originally a playground taunt in the marvel vs dc fan forever war that Marvel sort of reclaimed with the Marvel Zombies series.

Marvel Zombies was used by Marvel to refer to their fans in the 80's. I don't know who started using the term, but Marvel used it for a long time before the Marvel Zombies series came around.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Open Marriage Night posted:

Has Simon Williams ever been in a movie with Mary Jane Watson? Bonus points if Dazzler did the soundtrack.

I don't believe so. Their acting careers put them on opposite coasts and in the case of Simon Williams is referenced pretty rarely. So we hear about the cheesy low budget fantasy movies Simon makes while Mary Jane is making soap operas...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cornwind Evil posted:

That reminds me of some Sabretooth trivia where supposedly EVERY year he tracks down Wolverine on his birthday and beats him up/outright beats the crap out of him.

To which I just sort of go, buh? EVERY year? Does Wolverine not fight back? Because even if he's generally Wolverine's better in some aspects Wolverine is the type who keeps on trying to learn and improve himself. Maybe he managed to do in the past, maybe a lot of times, but recently? And even if for some reason his birthday makes him extra weak, why not just hang out with a group of his tougher X-Men companions like Colossus and Rogue and see how well ol' Victor fares alone?

Then again I can see Wolverine not doing that because Sabretooth is such a total bastard that he'd then start targeting THEM.

That was the concept: Wolverine might be the beat there is at what he does, but Sabretooth is somehow even better.

There was a Wolverine: First Class story where Kitty takes Wolverine out to dinner on his birthday not knowing about Sabretooth. IIRC, Sabretooth backs down that year.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Opopanax posted:

All of that is stupid but The Darkest Knight is pretty good

DC wants to be absurd and fun but winds up being absurd and depressing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Continuity was Neal Adams's company and they had some weird books. I don't think any of them were great, but they're kind of interesting in that 80s independent attempt to redo Marvel and DC kind of way.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

If we're not talking about chibi versions of characters, there are a fair number of anglophone artists (Bill Sienkiewicz and those influenced by him spring to mind) who will change style pretty radically to indicate mood or emotion.

Another sort of... substitute(?) for that sort of thing are all of the various western comics that will employ multiple artists in the same story to indicate shifts in time, perspective, etc.

Yeah, while it's not as extreme and not typically comedic, switching styles for emphasis isn't really unknown in western comics. Action scenes become looser, for example.

The Japanese examples seem to come from the comic storytelling flowing out of animation (see Tezuka as the obvious inflection point there), and so the looser comedic conventions of animation from the 30s to the 50s got brought in.

And I think a lot of that has faded away in Japanese comics as they've pulled in more western stylistic conventions. The Rose of Versailles was from the early 70s which was the height of that style. While it still exists and it gets pulled out of the creator's toolbox to reference something they like, it's much more rare these days. There's definitely Japanese creator's who like to use it more than others, though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Humble Bundle has another 2000AD bundle and there's a ton of Slaine stuff in and I've been meaning to read that. But it's one of those situations where most of the volumes just have a title so I have no idea what the appropriate reading order would be or even if this was a good way to get the comics.

So first, is this bundle reasonably complete from the start? I'm not worried about small gaps, but I want to read the whole story.

Second, what's the correct order for the trades? Google isn't helping since my results are either old or irrelevant.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

Slaine-wise, the publication order of collections is:

Warrior's Dawn
Time Killer
The King
Horned God
Demon Killer
Lord of Misrule
Treasures of Britain
Grail War
---Lord of the Beasts---
Books of Invasions
The Wanderer
Book of Scars
Brutania Chronicles
Dragontamer

It looks like the collection has everything except Lord of the Beasts

Thanks. Missing one in the middle isn't ideal but it would be worse to be missing something key.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

7S was fantastic. I've been catching up on Morrison's stuff since then and I'm starting to think that was their peak.

I'm not always fond of Morrison's work, but Seven Soldiers kind of dances on the line of their worst excesses while managing to not cross it. Okay, maybe crossing it with Zatanna, but everyone else was just the right mix of out there and approachable.

Batman is very good, but it's also very straightforward. Except for the text issue which everyone skips because it's pretty bad.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

I’m reading old Spiderman comics and noticed that issue 181 is just a recap of Spiderman’s origin and an introduction to the current supporting cast. I guess it’s because they figured that the readership aged out every so often and the new kids needed a recap. Are there other issues like that? I’d enjoy comparing different takes on a task like that across 20 years or so.

That usually happened because someone was late. Origin recap was one of the file drawer stories Marvel kept on hand just in case they weren't going to make their deadline.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Angry Salami posted:

Pym's never been an A-list character, and the abuse story is, unfortunately, one of his biggest arcs. He doesn't really have enough else going on to distract from it.

Pretty much. We don't talk about how Peter Parker yelled at anti-war protesters except to make fun of it. He's got a lot more going on so it's easy to cut around the poo poo. For Hank Pym, the breakdown story was all he had (and it's actually a decent story) and then it got compounded by no one making a great Hank Pym story and instead going back to that one event. At this point, it's probably impossible to redeem the character because everyone just associates him with beating his wife.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

I always liked the short lived idea of Peter being a high school science teacher. Peter running a tech company is just a rehash of so many other heroes and doesn't really feel like it fits with his personality.

I like the broad concept, but high school teacher is completely incompatible with the Spider-man lifestyle. And more harmful when Pete has to abandon students in need because Ultron is turning the Statue of Liberty into a giant robot. In terms of personality, I don't think he can do anything consistently except be Spider-man.

Thinking about what he could do for a living, he's young enough that being Spider-influencer would be seriously on his radar. That would be weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Both the PS4 game and Spider-verse both have him (and later Miles) doing Youtube/twitter stuff.

I'm becoming an old enough nerd that the sliding time scale is making me feel weird. All of the Marvel heroes who did not fight in World War II showed up after YouTube became huge, for example. Obama was running for re-election when Reed Richards stole a spaceship. Peter Parker could have been bitten by a radioactive spider on the same day that the first post in this thread was made.