Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

One thing to keep in mind, when Alan Moore wrote Killing Joke, he did not think it would be part of the main continuity.

Is there any source on that? I've just seen that on several other sites and they never seem to have any sort of quote from Moore or someone from DC editorial at the time, it just seems to be a thing people say about Killing Joke when the subject of it and Barbara Gordon is brought up.

Beerdeer posted:

Is the Superman analogue of Earth 5 still Captain Marvel or did they change his name too? I know Mary Marvel is in the Multiversity.

It was still Captain Marvel in 2015 when Multiversity came out, but as far as I know Billy/Captain Marvel from Earth-5 conveniently hasn't appeared since then, only Mary. I suspect that now that the Captain Marvel and Shazam movies have both come out, if Earth-5 Captain Marvel shows up again, he'll also be Shazam.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I loved the hell out of Nick Spencer's run.

Yeah Spencer is really good up until the end when you need to jump ship big time

howe_sam posted:

Tom Taylor's Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man was good, and if Spider-Dad is your thing I enjoyed Renew Your Vows a whole bunch.

Cannot second RYV hard enough. It may be my actual favorite Spider-Man story

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 28, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The first appearance of Batman Who Laughs should get you money from DC for emotional damage inflicted by reading a comic with the Batman Who Laughs

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My knowledge of Dr. Strange stories is far from comprehensive but I feel like there has to be some stories about Strange either using or fighting users of the Darkhold

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm fine with the run for the most part but that costume sucks poo poo.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Turbinosamente posted:

I sorta remember reading that Akira Toriyama's editor kept pushing that the androids weren't a big enough villain story wise and that's how that story morphed into the cell saga in dbz in some interview somewhere, so I'm under an assumption that the editors have some sizable influence on manga creators.

Yeah, they thought Androids 19 and 20 looked stupid so Toriyama made 17 & 18, then they said they didn't look threatening so he made Cell, then they said Cell didn't look cool so eventually we got Perfect Cell.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

A discussion on a podcast made me wonder, are there any X-Men who have a supportive non-mutant family?

I'm pretty sure Iceman's parents are okay. There was a mini a few years back where I think Bobby's dad had a hard time accepting he was gay (ironic, considering how so many writers have used mutants as a gay metaphor) but eventually by the end I think they were okay again (though it's been a while, maybe I'm misremembering)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zachack posted:

Does all of that make more sense/come across as "normal" if you're reading it monthly? It all sounds very stupid, even by normal stupid standards.

Kinda? But mostly no. I liked Snyder's Batman but his JL/ events are written just like kids on the playground play-fighting and going "wouldn't it be cool if [x]?" with no idea of how to make [x] happen.

With a villain who also follows playground logic of "nuh uh, my villain already planned for his head to get chopped off".

It kinda reminds me of this old joke commercial about Michael Bay where he just wants everything "awesome"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy8_EIcl3u4

Snyder writes for cool moments more than he writes for telling an actual decent story.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Soonmot posted:

Oh yeah, if she's like 8 probably nothing of what I said?

You're never too young to learn Darth Vader is a cold motherfucker :v:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bessantj posted:

Anyone going through the "End of Spider-Verse" event? Is it any good?

Not really aside from the obligatory new Spider-People introduced. My personal favorite is the Disney princess one.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bessantj posted:

That one does sound interesting. How many Spider-Verse events have there been now? Were any of them good? I'm still going through what Marvel have on MU, still in the early 90s so I think I have Clone Wars coming up which should be a lot of fun but I'm a while away from the Spider-Verse yet.

IIRC, there have only been 2 actual big "events" with a whole bunch of little smaller ones here and there because people love the concept. The first is Spider-Verse, plain and simple, which I think is honestly just kinda mediocre at best. The second is Spider-Geddon, which is (imo) better.

What I think everyone will agree on is that the spin-offs of the events are hands down way better than the events themselves.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

El Gallinero Gros posted:

They also teased Bruce & Diana as a couple in the DCAU, with Bruce actually having a pretty good explanation as to why it wouldn't work

And Diana having a pretty good counter-argument...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He also mentions being a rich kid with issues, major ones, or is that a separate conversation? I don't remember which eps have it

Same episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZz2BfOn4tc

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

MGK put forth the most compelling answer to the Why Is It Only Hank Pym question I've ever read. In short, it's because Hank's never had a big arc or iconic story, and only two memorable moments: hitting Janet and creating Ultron.

I think the better point they make is that "everyone wants to write the redemption arc, no one wants to write the post-redemption arc".

The same way nowadays it seems like everybody wants to write down-on-his-luck Peter Parker, no one seems to want a Spider-Man that turns things around.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Oh yeah, I mean if I had a choice I'd rather Nadia get the focus and her dad never show up again, but I know no old white dude can stay dead forever.

I don't know, in between Hank being no one's favorite Avenger really, him having the unfortunate legacy which always gets dragged up these days, and him being very specifically an old dude in the MCU, I honestly think there's a chance that he doesn't come back. Maybe at some point down the line someone separates him from Ultron (I'm pretty sure Nadia said she was going to) but he doesn't ever go back to the hero life. Also he is older and more Michael Douglas-y

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

He was even more of an animal once the next Romita came along.

"A buddy gave it to me as a gag"

Yeah, suuurrre Pete, whatever you say... :rolleyes:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cornwind Evil posted:

So, based on a Tales of the TARDIS thing going "Hey, you know that impression you got between two female companions back in the 80's? Yeah, we've decided that it's canon and they're a lesbian couple.", I was just wondering. Was there ever any sort of character indication or behaviour that hinted that Bobby "Iceman" Drake of the X-Men might be gay? Beyond his close personal relationship with Hank McCoy, who has been thoroughly established as heterosexual, beyond one line that he later said was a joke. Bobby didn't have 'great loves' like Scott did with Jean, or Rogue and Gambit, or really any canon male/female pairing, the closest one I remember was I think around the late 90's when there were some hints between him and Emma Frost, but that was it. Then we do the time displaced OG Five X-Men and TD-Jean goes "Bobby, you're gay." And suddenly, Bobby's gay.

Just seems strange to me. At least when they flipped the orientation switch on Alan Scott recently, they had the lead in of him being retconned on another Earth and had aspects of his kids merged with him, one of which was his son Obsidian's homosexuality, and when stuff got re-retconned back that seemed to make him realize he had spent his life deep in the closet.

I believe in an interview Bendis said* the reason he picked Bobby in particular is that wayyyy back in the original X-Men comics, he was the only one who wasn't hitting on Jean.

*However, I can't find any actual interview via googling so maybe I'm just making that up based on half-remembered goon comments at the time. I can find a podcast but I'm way too lazy to actually listen to a whole interview.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
He got the symbiote at the start of Ewing's run

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lucifunk posted:

Isn't Duke the daytime shift Batman?

That is supposedly the situation, yes.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

Duke's parents were infected by Joker's super Joker gas or something and Bruce promised to find a cure. I don't know if it has ever been mentioned since.

Much like Superman always finding a way to fix Kandor being shrunk, I'm sure he's working on it conveniently juuuust off-panel.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

It was barely tenable even in the best circumstances in his solo titles and completely unworkable in a shared universe, but I always had a fondness for the "urban legend" Batman. It's definitely scarier if the criminals aren't even sure if there is a Batman, let alone what he can do and how he operates so they can counter-plan, y'know?

Bruce ought to let JLA members take the cowl out for a spin on random nights, just so that the criminals in jail are like "yeah, loving Batman walked right through the wall and got me" and another one's like "I dunno about that, if anything he seemed too solid to me, I unloaded an entire shotgun clip in his face and he didn't even blink" and a third guy's going "no I'm telling you, he turned into a grizzly bear" and everyone mocks that dude for making up obvious bullshit.

"Any of you guys noticed that Batman has a beard nowadays? And he just shoots people with arrows instead of using those batarangs?"

"Are you sure that wasn't Green Arrow?"

"Buddy I know my colors, the arrows weren't green"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

thetoughestbean posted:

I’m telling you, Batman was bright red and constantly making jokes when he punched me with his very stretchy arm!

I don't know why he wears those sunglasses though, weird look...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's a shame that the Phoenix Force had to go and become a whole thing with a lot of negative things tied to it because Phoenix as a codename for Jean is really cool. Also the original Phoenix outfit is dope.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 6, 2024