Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In retrospect I think that's one of the reasons the first season of the Flash was its strongest: it had a bunch of different plots going on, with the Reverse-Flash one and Barry keeping his identity secret from Iris going over the entire season, the military subplot with Firestorm, the stuff with the Rogues as recurring bad guys and then the standalone episodic plots.

I know the comparative weaknesses of the subsequent seasons are really things that were already part of season one, but I feel like they were exacerbated by each season only really having one really big plot going each time, which means there's not as much for the other characters to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

He had a gun in the best storyline - odyssey

No.

He had two guns in Odyssey.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Doc Savage took his defeated villains to a private clinic he ran in upstate New York (his "Crime College") where he performed brain surgery on them to turn them into productive members of society.

With lobotomies.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Doc Savage only ever had one returning enemy, namely John Sunlight, and he came back a grand total of once after his first appearance.

I only recently learned that the "Kenneth Robeson" who wrote the Avenger novels wasn't actually Lester Dent. Street & Street, the publisher, technically owned the name and got some other writer to use it so they could put "FROM THE AUTHOR OF DOC SAVAGE" on the front of the books.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Archyduchess posted:

Edit: Oh! Terry Long! A pretty bad character for a lot of reasons (oh neat, a college professor dating his student, how novel and fine), but again, I feel like a lot of reflexive fan-hate for him stemmed from his not being a super-powered hero and acting as the more passive person in his relationship with Donna Troy.

Didn't Terry Long also look suspiciously similar to what Marv Wolfman looked like in 1982?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Absolutely. Long was 100% Wolfman's self insert character.

In that case Wolfman had two of those: he had Terry Long, a divorced college professor who looks about 40 and marries an 18-year old; and he had Danny Chase, a superhero who didn't wear a costume or have a codename and always went on about how lame costumes and codenames were. :v:

We poke fun (affectionately, most of the time) at Claremont's various indulgences in X-Men but he was far from alone in doing that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Blackest Night - the main series as written by Johns - was an amusing superhero zombie apocalypse that seemed to think it was a serious, thoughtful meditation on the nature of death in superhero comic books.

The stuff that Tomasi was doing where Kyle's girlfriend comes back as a Black Lantern fridge with a Black Lantern ring as a fridge magnet was better because it leaned harder into the superhero zombie apocalypse high concept.

Sinestro Corps War was a lot better.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bessantj posted:

Thanks for the replies everyone. What are people's top two or three DC stories?

Flash: Return of Barry Allen
Superman: The Man of Steel #1-6

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Random Stranger posted:

The best thing about Return of Barry Allen is that it doesn't stand on its own. The severely underrated except by cool but extremely nerdy people Messner-Loebs run on The Flash was a five year long story about Wally trying to figure out how to replace Barry (that story about Wally trying to find bullets in a dark movie theater was Messner-Loebs; so was the story about Wally jumping out of a passenger jet and trying to figure out how to save a stewardess on the way down). So Waid made his second story arc on the book (after the then mandatory "Year One" story) the climax to that. The Return of Barry Allen is the best example of how long running continuity can be used well.

Yeah, Waid always used to say his favourite Flash writer was Bill Messner-Loebs.

But at the same time, a lot of the Mike Baron / Messner-Loebs supporting cast (Tina McGee, Chunk etc.) and even most of the Rogues don't really appear in Waid's run.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Waid didn't really like the classic Rogues. If you recall he killed them off in Underworld Unleashed and was later ordered to bring them back.

I always forget that Underworld Unleashed was a Waid book.

Didn't Wait also request or give the go-ahead for killing off some Levitz era Legion members (most notably Blok) when Giffen and the Bierbaums had the book and he was editor because he liked the Adventure Comics era Legion better?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I love how most of the Rogues were just regular bank robbers who built their fantastical sci-fi weapons in the prison workshop based on magazine articles they read.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Halloween Jack posted:

The best origin of any rogue is Mr. Element/Dr. Alchemy. In his first appearance as Mr. Element, he invented a new element that can manipulate inertia. He uses his fantastic genius to rob banks.

When he returns as Dr. Alchemy, he's discovered the Philosopher's Stone, which can transmute any element into any other. He decides to use its fantastic powers to get rich...by robbing banks.

I like how Geoff Johns adjusted Captain Cold's origin story so he was now all about how he was COLD-hearted because his ICE COLD father would COLD-bloodedly beat him so now wanted the rest of the world to feel as COLD and FROZEN as he did in his own COLD heart, and also when he was a boy the only place he ever felt safe was in his uncle's ICE CREAM TRUCK.

(I'm only slagging, because I do enjoy Johns's take on the classic Rogues, but I think his Captain Cold is the old "Johnsian literalism" at its finest. :D)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Random Stranger posted:

Basically, what I'm saying is don't rent to the Fantastic Four.

One of the first things Byrne did when he was writing FF in the 80s was get rid of the landlord character, who I believe had been a recurring nuisance for most of the 1970s at least, in an issue where he goes to complain to Sue about supervillains damaging his property and she reacts by writing him a cheque and buying the building outright.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SonicRulez posted:

Why do you guys like superheroes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Starlin's whole Thanos saga was the story he really wanted to tell but he rarely had a regular book to explore his ideas, so he'd just put them in whenever he had a fill-in issue or a backup story.

I'm pretty sure the climax of the original Thanos storyline (i.e. the one before Thanos is resurrected and gets the Infinity Gems in Starlin's run on Silver Surfer) is in an issue of Marvel Team-Up.