Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I just finished Alias (great stuff) and towards the end there was a breakout in the Raft. Was it the same breakout in the opening arc of New Avengers, or was that a different thing? Both had the Purple Man in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What did Kirkman do? I read the first issue of Invincible and I thought it was pretty good? (art's so-so, though)

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What happened to the girl Nomad? I have a trade of her (during the time when Bucky was Cap) but she doesn't seem to be around anymore?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Soonmot posted:

Possessed by Onslaught and sacrificed her life in a really lovely cross over.

What a drat shame.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I thought Castaway in Dimension Z was very good, but it sort of dropped off in quality after that.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
During the early 2000s my aunt came home from the US and brought with her a bunch of comics for me and my brother. It had stuff like The Darkness, Witchblade, (which back then was inappropriate for us but the cover of the particular issue she bought was pretty tame), Warlands, Batgirl/Ghost, etc.

There were a couple of issues of one comic in the pile and they turned out to be the last two. It was about the Christian Armageddon and had demons and angels and stuff. The main characters were ordinary people given divine powers, I think? I can't remember much except that one of the bad guys got trapped in a prison forever. Can anyone help me with this comic's title?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
No, it wasn't a Vertigo title and was PG-13.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I was reading Ellis's run on Secret Avengers and there's a part where Black Widow questions why Moon Knight is on the team, and Sharon Carter says that Cap (then Director of SHIELD) trusts him. Where and how did Cap and Moon Knight become friends?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Somewhere in BSS I saw a panel/page of Superman flying through space with the bubble, "if you knew how loved you are, you would never strike a hand in anger again" or the like. Where's that issue from and who wrote it?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Thank you! Who knew Ennis could write Superman well... I'm only 2/5ths through Hitman right now.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Nope, I'm excited!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Issue 14, actually.

It's also a great comic.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Speaking of Wolverine and adamantium, what made Magneto rip out the adamantium in Wolverine's skeleton back in the 90s? Was it as grisly as I think it was? (like a cross-section of someone, haven't read the actual issue in particular)

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Not as gory as I thought. Thanks.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I loved Hickman's FF run and his usage of Franklin. I'm totally a sucker for "kid with immense potential but has to be raised right or we're screwed" characters like Timothy Hunter and Evan Sabahnur.

Was there a Franklin who grew up evil? If so, what storyline did it happen in?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Has Reed Richards ever been a herald of Galactus? What Ifs count.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Opopanax posted:

I'm going to count Earth X even though it's not what you meant

That's fine. I was reading Secret Wars and it touched on Reed's relationship with Galactus so I wonder if that sort of thing happened anywhere, and how did it go.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I haven't read the original Hulk run beyond issue #1, but was there ever an explanation why Hulk became green from gray (and switching every now and then over the years)?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Thanks!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I am reading Simonson's Thor very slowly (like an issue a week) and it's all good, just that I don't have much stamina to power through the run as I could with modern comics.

My preference is done-in-one comic stories that don't have old-school exposition. Today I read an issue of Batgirl (Steph) and Supergirl beating Dracula clones and being BFFs but nooooo we gotta write for trade/build up events...

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Has there ever been a good/heroic incarnation of Ultron?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

CzarChasm posted:

Maybe Ultron 8 from Old Man Logan, in that, he's not out to rule the world, or overthrow humanity. He's basically step-dad to Hawkeye's kid.

That's really cute.

Lurdiak posted:

Ultron 12 was the one who turned nice.

Ooh! I must see this.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
So I read that pre-Nu52 Superman coexisted with his Nu52 counterpart and did superheroics in secret, but stepped in to replace the latter when he died. (Then Rebirth happened.) Did I get that right?

What issue did Nu52 Superman die?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
When did Doctor Strange start being characterized as a ladies man?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Mover posted:

It goes back explicitly to at least Fractions's Defenders, and you could probably read it into the 2004 miniseries. That was the first time they paired him up with an inappropriately young co-ed as a sidekick, though I don't think he hooked up with that particular woman.

e: err, that was the 2009 series, not 2004.

Yeah I read Fraction's Defenders and I wondered if it went even way back.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Has Superman ever had one of his rogues reform and work with him, a la Clayface?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I haven't read Lex Luthor being in the Justice League yet, and have always assumed it to be a con on his part. I also didn't know about the Doomsday bit. Thanks!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Has mainstream comics ever shown a character to use the teleportation superpower offensively, like how Vision and Kitty Pryde phase into someone to hurt them? I mean, telefragging would be overpowered as hell.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm familiar with the shark, but I was thinking more along the lines of "teleport into where your enemy is standing and explosively displace them as you occupy their space" or something.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
It's this page I think:

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
All-New Wolverine is good. So is Wolverine by Claremont and Miller, Wolverine: First Class (all-ages fun with Kitty Pryde), as well as Astonishing Spider-Man and Wolverine.

X-23 by Marjorie Liu is good, the first volume is on sale.

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 5, 2017

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Did Thor have any significant love interests aside from Jane Foster (and Roz Solomon)?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Just Sif? Well, I guess that's fine.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I like the contrast between Black Knight's sword and Excalibur.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Or reforge the blade into a mace or something. Though Ebony Mace doesn't sound as cool.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Why is Hal Jordan widely considered to be the greatest Green Lantern? Is there an in-universe explanation for this? Do the comic books actually state it outright, or is it more of a marketing thing? Or is he just the most popular and recognizable guy?

I mean, popularity aside, I never understood why he's so highly-regarded, when he became Parallax and stuff. I grew up with Morrison's JLA and the JLU cartoon, and found Kyle and John more interesting.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
That's kinda disappointing. With Barry I understood that he was great because of Crisis on Infinite Earths, and that he cast a long shadow on the Flash's legacy, and that he was a pretty cool guy. Hal I just don't get.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I like Wally more than Barry myself, my point was with Barry all the idolizing seemed more organic, but with Hal I find it more telling than showing. I mean, I could read more books about Hal to find out more but I don't feel like diving in because I don't find him interesting or sympathetic.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Okay, two questions.

1. What is the craziest thing that Domino's powers have done?

2. Why is Beast the worst?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Is Battle Chasers actually a good comic?