Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

CapnAndy posted:

My memory may decieve me, and I didn't pay very close attention, but as I recall the reaction was "that's not funny" and then nobody bought it.

The odd thing is, from my memory of reading the story it's actually not that bad. Okay the humour is pretty awful once you get past the main "joke" (he's gay but nobody realizes it. Geddit?) but the plot itself is fine if a tad cliche.

The actual plot is one of those classic western tropes about a son who doesn't respect his pacifist father, latches onto cool outlaw and how the Kid goes out of his way to make the pacifist dad cool again in the eyes of his son.
Nothing revolutionary, but kind of sweet in it's own way. It's just the main joke held the whole thing back. But it wasn't the sort of comic blackhole that people paint it as.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Waterhaul posted:

There were. Here's the basic recent Thor/Donald Blake timeline.

The Ragnarok event happens and Thor and the other gods are killed/left in a void of nothingness. (2006)
Donald Blake finds Mjolner and is transported to the nothingess/void where he convinces Thor to come back to life and bring all the old Gods back to life. They have their standard swapping bodies relationship (2007)
JMS takes forever to write a handful of issues so the Thor books are finally dragged into another event book with Siege and Fraction takes over after a brief Gillen run (2010)
Thor film comes out and is popular (2011)
Fear Itself a terrible comic which was a Captain America/Thor crossover happens and Thor "dies" for a handful of panels. (2011)
Matt Fraction writes an arc where Donald Blake is written out of existance because he's not in the film. (2012)

From then on Thor is just always Thor.

I've been reading Thor since he came back post Heroes Reborn. And I read Mike Omeing's ending story of Thor (Ragnarok) and really liking. I thought it was a cool, epic story with great artwork and an interesting metaphor where The Ones Who Sit in Shadows were a stand in for the creative minds at Marvel, and it had a nice send off to Thor.

But what baffled me was how everyone who read that comic (online at the time) were so convinced that Marvel had killed Thor. I mean even ignoring at how death is treated in comics, Thor doesn't even die in that comic. Sure he destroys all of Asguard, but he's clearly left at the end, and he talks about how he's going to rebuild everything, but first he needs to sleep.

It just seemed to me that it was really obvious he was going to return as set out within the story itself but people were like "Nope, he's dead. And there's no coming back from that."

But one thing I had read at the time (and I can't for the life of me find it) some time after Planet Hulk Marvel posted up this interview with Greg Pakk where he talked about his original plan for Planet Hulk was that Thor was going to take the part of Silver Surfer. (Some idea that he had fallen out of God space and landed on the world and been enslaved.) That's why you have the Surfer wielding a Mace for most of his appearances, it was supposed to be a hammer.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

This is Nick Fury, the man practically has "No I didn't die, it was a LMD" as a super power.

Even if they decide to kill him off in the film (and not just a "Nick Fury is injured so SHIELD is rudderless during the Cap film), they can bring him back whenever they want.

There's no way he's being killed off, unless Samuel L. Jackson himself retires from acting.

As for comic Fury, I did find it funny how they had to go out of their way to remove Nick Fury Senior (with like the Infinity Formula being drained out of his body by a villain to make him too old to be a super spy, and a blanket statement that there is no more in the world or something) to make way for Nick Fury Jr.

And now he's going to be one of the main characters in the upcoming Marvel "Who Kills the Watchers" event*.

*= Name still subject to change.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

redbackground posted:

Someone post that image. You know.

Is it this one from the Webcomic The Gutters?

http://www.the-gutters.com/comic/288-richard-clark/

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I also think that Kirkman's later comments about wanting to "Save the comic industry" didn't help things.

But whenever I see comic Pro's fight I think back to that time that JMs got on his high horse about how awesome his run on Spider-Man was.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/12/10/fanboy-rampage-jms-vs-steve-wacker/

In particular, Mark Waid's response is the stone cold best.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Waterhaul posted:

Current previews point to the villain of Original Sin being The Orb which automatically makes it a million times better than Identity Crisis.

And I trust Aaron not to include rape retcons.

Wow that makes a whole lot of sense, if true.

The Orb was a lame Ghost Rider villain who Aaron first included as a joke character in his run on Ghost Rider. Part of his schitick was he was an embarrasment, but he had delusions of grandure.

He next showed up in Astonishin Spider-Man/ Wolverine ,another story by Aaron, where he stumbles onto the secrets of time travel.

He also appeared in Aaron's run on the Hulk where he has become obsessing with stealing people's eyes as the windows to their souls. All of this matches up with what we know about Original Sin. In which case, this has been well setup.

So, at least, if that is true, then Original Sin at least won't fail as a mystery story.
(That, in my opinion, was the worst thing about Identity Crisis. It was written by Brad Meltzer, a Crime Novelist, and he crafts what seems like an excellent Locked Room mystery. But the entire resolution to it is just cack-handed that the whole thing falls apart.
Why does a Crime Novelist fail at telling a Who-dunnit story?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Dan Jurgens used to write in unique uses of Superman's powers that stemmed from his days growing up in Smallville.

"Great Scott! The only way for me to defeat Titanio is to use my Super-Cow Tipping powers."

Next issue: Superman must tap into the ancestral Smallville art of making Moon-shine to take out Black Adam!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Unmature posted:

Is Final Crisis still worth reading post-New52? For some reason I've just never read it despite loving Morrison and DC at that time.

I don't think the fact that it's a Pre-New 52 comic should put you off reading it. Since if one follows that line of logic, you'd be ruling out a lot of really good books.

I would argue don't read it for other reasons, since I hated it. In a way, I thought, it captures all the worst elements of Morrison. a confusing story, a book that required you to read a load of tie ins to make any sense out of, characters presented grossly out of character to conform to some archetypes that Morrison has in his head, sections that are (supposedly) deliberately confusing just to make a kind of meta point and dialogue that is impossibly clunky and awkward.

That being said, you say you really like Morrison's work, so feel free to try it. Just because I didn't like it, doesn't mean it's automatically garbage as other people here say they like it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

To be fair, Nightcrawler didn't know she was his sister at first.

To be less fair, Jimaine Szardos knew perfectly well he was her brother.

And to be entirely unfair, there's Nightcrawler's reaction to finding out he's been dating his sister:

Ah so now I know what happened when Dr. Sam Beckett leaps into the Marvel Universe. I've waited so long for this! :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S4jLGR8c-0

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

What about Flashpoint? I never read it because I didn't care, and then everyone learned the events in it were going to reboot the DCU. Was it any good or just as dumb as I thought.

At the start of Flashpoint (like before it was in any way connected with the reboot.) most people kind of enjoyed Flashpoint as a DC Age of Apocalypse alternate history thing, with cool Kurbert artwork. They had done a good job setting up some mystery about the new universe with Buttons at cons and cool maps showing the alternate DC universe. (Apart from the minor bit of controversy with Africa being labeled as Gorilla Controlled. Something that makes perfect sense, if perhaps a poorly chosen name, if you are familiar with DC history and Gorilla Grodd. But comes across as racially insensitive if you are not.)

The universe felt really different, had a vibrant story, some really nice twists on characters (Steel is a badass! Thomas Wayne is kicking rear end as a new Batman! The S.H.A.Z.A.M kids are awesome! Commander Cold as a hero! Grifter is here, awesome! [This is the first and only time that phrase was ever used.]
The only people really complaining were Aquaman fans (who don't count) and Wonder Woman fans (who were moaning that she and the Amazons were the villains in an alternate universe story line.)
But as the series went on it seemed to squander all the potential.
They announced a mini focusing on the new Captain Marvel (where Billy, Freddy, Mary and three friends all had one power of Shazam and could form into a Captain Planet like Captain Marvel.) but then changed their mind and decided not to make it.
The Commander Cold series became a really odd Noir type story that just didn't really make sense within the confines of the universe and became more unpleasant as it went on. (So basically Captain Cold is now Commander Cold and the hero of the Gem cities, the Rogues decide to go after him. But Cold has a secret that he ends up killing people to protect and goes from anti-hero to unlikable villain protagonist. His big secret? He used to be a bank robber. The world is ending, Europe has been torn apart, super villains run rampant there are only a handful of superheroes to protect the world and you are one of them. No one cares that you used to rob banks in your past life.)
Lois Lane covered the war in Europe and since that involved the Amazons and the Atlantians a number of readers felt it was very anti women. (What didn't help was the series ended with Lois Lane apparently murdered off camera. Hilariously the story continued in the Superman series where a Kal El who was never allowed outside a bunker until he was released by the Flash saves Lois and they develop a connection. Then at the end of that series, Lois dies again. Like, what was the point.)

Then it gets to a problem that these alternate history stories have. You've got to have a threat to the alternate world to motivate and move the story. At the same time, you want the hero from the real world to seek to get back to his world. Now in so doing, he's either abandoning the alternate world to it's own fate, or actively dooming it to non-existance himself.
It's a very tricky rope to walk. In Age of Apocalypse they managed it by essentially saying that the X-Men ultimately chose to help Bishop to to bring back the 616 universe, knowing full well that in so doing it was going to Undo the AoA universe and leave them all to die in Nuclear Fire. That at least was a choice that while bittersweet, made sense.
In Flashpoint, the Flashpoint World kind of gets held together but is still going to be destroyed while Barry ends up loving up bringing back the DC Universe. So it gets the worst of both worlds.

I think my other problem with Flashpoint was at the start I thought Zoom's deal was he had gone back in time multiple times and just muddled around with DC character's parentage in an intriguing way. So before Clark Kent get's raised by loving parents. Nope, now I made sure the Kent's never found the capsule, so no parents for Superman.
Hal Jordan is motivated by seeing his dad's firey death and resolves to be brave? Nah, I'll change it so nothing remarkable happens and Jordan is a by the book US Fighter pilot.
And so on.
And that at least provides an interesting set of reasons why some people become villains or non factors (lack of parents screwing up the JLA, or having parents make other people happy and content and lack the impetus to become superheroes). It also feeds into one of Professor Zoom's motivations (he hates his parents and his life, so he decides to blame Barry and attack him and his life.) and how he was building up this big revelation for the secret behind Flashpoint.
If they had followed that thread then the only way for Barry to fix things would be for him to make the ultimately horrible but necessary decision to bring back the DC Universe he's got to undo Zoom's actions one by one. And while some of this may be nice (saving the Kents, saving Hipolytia, saving Arthur Curry) by the end of it Barry will have to stand by and ensure that Thomas and Martha Wayne are shot, that Jordan Sr's plane crashes, that his mother gets killed and so on. That without those tragedies these great heroes couldn't arise. And in his own twisted line of thinking, Barry has to become the villain and do bad things to save everyone.
That's pretty messed up thinking. You might even describe it as, Reverse :flash

But no, they just went with a cop out ending that Barry was responsible for Flashpoint, who is a n00b at time travel. And he needs to fix his own mistake. Oh and then it became the lead in to the Nu52 so everyone REALLY hated it at that point.

So yeah, That's Flashpoint. In a nut shell.

Tune in next time, where I explain what was good and what went wrong with World War Hulk.

If you liked that rant, feel free to check out my post about the problems with Fear Itself.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

The biggest downside to WWH was the stupid loving reveal that It was agents of the Red King that planted a bomb in the ship and Miek knew but let it go off because of stupid reasons. It would have been so much better if it was a accident that Stark and co were responsible for instead of the stupid cop-out easy resolution we got.

I'm going to agree with Krypt-OOO-Nite on this one.

[spoilers] The resolution would have been far better if the truth was, there was no master mind behind the ship blowing up. It was just a stupid/tragic accident.
Because if you look at it, Hulk had more or less united the survivors of his world to travel with him on his stone ship, solely on the mandate of "Let's kill the bastards who blew up our world!"
And that mission of revenge was pretty much the only thing stopping all the survivors from breaking down with PTSD. And it was what focused Hulk's revenge.
What Miek's final reveal to set off Hulk should have been was him speaking the truth that was obvious to everyone. That there was no mastermind, the ship had just exploded because it was a starship that crashed into a planet and left alone for months on end. That everyone knew this, but they let Hulk go along with his mad crusade of vengeance, because who wants to be the person to tell Hulk he's wrong.
And that is what should set Hulk off.
He finally realizes it's all a lie. Tony Stark didn't blow up his planet. Reed Richards didn't blow up his world.
No one did. It's a stupid accident. If you want to blame anyone, blame God. And at that point Hulk will unleash and go full World Breaker. Because he's got all this anger, and no one to direct it at. And if he can't smash anyone, he can smash EVERYONE! Break Earth, break all the stupid puny humans! Become the World Breaker, it's the only way!
I think it would have been a much more satisfying resolution.
After all, it originally was a stupid freak accident that allowed Bruce Banner to become the Hulk, why not make this incident also a stupid accident.[/spoiler]

As for WWH, I think it's an interesting story in this regard. When Planet Hulk originally came out, I remember people loving it. But even during the story, they were very much focused on Hulk coming back to Earth. I saw so many people cackling, rubbing their hands waiting for Hulk to smash Iron-man, Reed Richards and the entire illuminati group, and end the post Civil War nonsense.

And they got EXACTLY this. But it wasn't what they wanted at all. Instead of it being Hulk coming back as the righetous, indignant wronged party, he was mean. He was vicious. The other's were presented as being sympathetic, willing to hand themselves over to save others. Suddenly the Hulk looked more and more like a bully and then a violent warlord.
And I think that was Greg Pakk's ultimate point.
That Anger, even Righteous Anger is ultimately self destructive. Going on a killing spree or violent assault on those who wronged you actually doesn't fix everything. It just means more things are broken.
And I don't think readers were really ready or prepared for that, at all. Particularly the Hulk, who is a character who is just shown as being able to fix everything by just smashing.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

The being the internet dubbed, Cyclopalypse!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

TwoPair posted:

So my little brother picked up some batarangs at a gun show last weekend (because where else would you find Batman stuff than at a gun show?) and we've been spending the past couple of days having fun just pitching them at a piece of plywood we set up against our garage and seeing how well we can get them to stick in/on target. Anyway, it occurred to me today, while going over to pull one out of the board, that "batarang" isn't really a proper term, is it? I mean, these days they're really more like bat-shuriken. In fact the only time I can ever really remember seeing Batman use a batarang like a boomerang is in the intro to Batman the Animated Series where he knocks the guns out of the guys' hands. So has Batman ever actuallly gotten a batarang to come back or does he call them that because Batman's actual Shameful Secret is that he loves a good pun?

No joke, post 52 there was a Batman story that revealed that Batman had audio transmitters and GPS built into each and every Batarang. And that they were intentionally designed so they would end up all over Gotham city (on account of how often Batman or his sidekicks throw them around.) and would maybe overhear someone committing a crime.

Batman's Shameful Secret is he wants to bug Gotham, but isn't actually motivated enough to do a comprehensive job.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

There's a Fantastic Four in the 60s where Dr. Doom harasses Jack Kirby and Stan Lee. There's also a What If? Stan wrote about the original Marvel office crew becoming the Fantastic Four. Stan has a mustache and Jack is The Thing. Stan's secretary is Invisible Girl because there weren't any other women working there at the time.

I read this book about Marvel comics: The Untold Story and how they have developed through the years. It turns out Marvel had a number of women working in Marvel. Not just as secretary but behind the scene roles. I was really surprised when I read the history of early Marvel and how progressive they were at times.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Gavok posted:

Who are characters that Marvel is simply not allowed to use despite being part of its canon continuity?

Off the top of my head:

- Rom: Spaceknight
- Micronauts
- NFL Superpro
- Godzilla
- Charcoal from Thunderbolts
- Conan the Barbarian
- Red Sonja

I seem to recall that Patriot is off limits, but I don't understand why.

Poor Charcoal, the Litigious Man.

I've heard somewhere that the Captain America from the Truth has legal issues holding him back.

Doc Savage, as was pointed out, was a part of Marvel's 1930's. But they don't talk about him anymore.

Prime and the entire Malibu universe are a hot mess of tangled legal rights. Don't expect to see them anytime soon.

Oh despite the recent appearance in X-Force, I think the Strikeforce Moutari guys are also a huge legal quagmire. :quagmire:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Gavok posted:

Then in Justice League International, also written by Jurgens, Booster was the leader of the team and one of the members was obscure heroine Godiva. About half of her dialogue was based on how much she wanted Booster. She also looked exactly like the woman in the Rip Hunter miniseries. So even though she never showed up in the Booster solo series ever, it seems the answer to Rip Hunter's parentage was, "It was going to be Godiva, I guess. Go figure."

That's probably for the best as I remember that the leading Internet theory for Rip Hunter's mother up until this point was Goldstar, Booster's sister. Partially as she was the only female character in the series and partially as it would give Rip the crazy Fry style Delta-wave brain patterns.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Gavok posted:

I'm writing a thing on all the times Wolverine has died and I'm wondering if anyone has any examples I might be missing:

- A shitload of What If issues. I know them all, that's my thing.
- Ultimatum
- Days of Future Past (comic and cartoon)
- Infinity Gauntlet
- Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe
- Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe
- The dark future from New X-Men
- Marvel Zombies (Ultimate Fantastic Four intro arc)
- Marvel Zombies Return
- Wolverine: The End
- X-Men Forever
- Young X-Men: End of Days

I'm going with instances where it's either seen or specifically implied. Not like his skeleton showing up in Maestro's trophy room with zero explanation or any story about the Earth blowing up.

There was the Uncanny X-Men Annual #10 featuring the Bloodcrystal. Basically Wolverine got straight up murdered by the main badguy, but a drop of his blood hit the crystal and super charged his healing factor and grew into a new Wolverine.

There was the Charlie Heuston written limited series, Wolverin: The Best There Is at What He Does. Apparently the best thing Wolverine does is die. The story has the main villain capture Wolverine and torture him to death (over and over again) to see what his healing factor can do.

There was also Frank Tieri's run on Wolverine (Think it was around 175/176). Sabertooth used a Weapon X based super weapon designed to switch off mutant powers (Spoilers: The super weapon was Leach stuck to a telescope) and killed Wolverine. Fortunately his healing factor came back quickly enough for Wolverine to recover.

There was the Mark Gugenheim run on Wolverine during Civil War where Nitro vaporizes Wolvie down to a skeleton, and he comes back. The follow up arc goes into this a bit more by explaining that Wolverine personally pissed off the Angle of Death so that's why Wolverine can so often cheat death.

Speaking of times Wolverine has been reduced to a skeleton and lived, Grant Morison's New X-Men run had Wolverine and Jean Grey fly into the sun, and Jean's Phoenix powers kept the Old Canuckle head alive when he was sizzled.
And the other famous time that Wolverine was turned into a skeleton was X-Men: Days Of A Future Past. But in Universe X or Paradise X (one of the sequels to Earth X) they showed that Machine Man used his Watcher Technology to grab Days Of A Future Past Logan and bring him back to life.

There's also that arc in Exiles (issue 85+) where they made a team of nothing but Wolverine's, and a few of them died in that.

So yeah, pretty good going for an immortal samurai huh?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Madkal posted:

Is there any issues of Batman/Detective Comics that deal with the legal ramifications of Batman beating up perps? One would think some perp getting beaten up and left on the cops doorsteps would be a one way trip to all charges dropped/mistrial.

I remember Christopher Priest did a story (I think it was called Batman: The Hill) about a gangster who Batman tries his normal act on, and the guy lawyers his way out of it.

The end result was Batman just ups his game, does more evidence collection and other tricks. Then at the end ties him up outside a building, and leaves him in front of GCPD.

The overall point being. Yes, on one level Batman's methods are legally unsound and would fall apart by any defence lawyer. And perhaps overall classiest/ don't fully deal with the root causes of crime.

On the other hand, almost all drug dealers are nasty pieces of work. And sure if Batman leaves them tied up to a lamp post with a note and a load of drugs at their feet, their conviction may not stick.
But they don't get their product back. Turns out, you aren't allowed own legal drugs and even if you don't get charged with it, the Cops will take it off you. And that drug dealer maybe back on the street, but he's always going to look over his shoulder. So in a real way, Batman is an effective method of prevention.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

HitTheTargets posted:

Original Sin was about a guy called The Watcher, a dude with one eye, and a dude with an eye for a head.

Clearly Axis is going to be about skulls and brains. Ghost Rider and Martha Johansson team up to fight Taskmaster and Cranio, The Man With The Tri-Level Brain.

Cranio: I'm always THREE Crossovers ahead of you Sentry!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Senor Candle posted:

So did he eat the brains or just put them in with his own? You'd think putting a bunch of dead brains into your head would just cause medical issues.

This came up in the series. Armin Zola ( I think) was the one who did the surgery (and it seemed to be surgery) said that there would be consequences to having this brain grafted to him.

The Red Skull didn't care. I think the Red Onslaught thing arises from the downside to the brain graft.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

irlZaphod posted:

House of M is pretty much self-contained, the only thing which leads into it really is Avengers: Disassembled, and even at that it's basically just Scarlet Witch goes crazy and kills some people.

I wouldn't really read much outside of the main House of M mini really, either. A lot of the rest of it was pretty crap to be honest. I think Mark Waid did a HoM: Spider-Man series which wasn't bad. The one-shot Brubaker did in his Cap run was pretty great too (that was actually what got me reading his Cap, funnily enough).

I think the Fantastic/Frightful Four mini series was also really good, since it's a villain on villain story.

If you want a sympathetic take on Mystique the Wolverine House of M stuff is also pretty good. ( I honestly thought that Jason Aaron was going to reference it during his Wolverine run as an explanation for why Wolverine leaves Mystique alive at the end.)

Hulk's House of M stuff was written by Peter David (the first Hulk stuff he had done in a while I think) so that's sort of notable in that regard.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

prefect posted:

That fight was so frustrating. "Lightning didn't do poo poo. Let's try more lightning. Hey, it worked! :downs:" It's like they ran out of ideas when it came time to finish the fight.

I think it was more "Bob Reynolds reasserts himself enough that he gains enough control so Thor can kill him." It's a pretty sad end to the tale (particularly when you factor in his wife Lindsey was killed and then dumped in the Ocean, because if Bob knew where she was, he'd bring her back to life. Then kill everyone.) Siege was an odd story.

Fritzler posted:

I'm reading Squadron Supreme (the 12 issue miniseries) and really enjoying it, but I was wondering, who is Quagmire supposed to be? He is a Spectrum (Green Lantern analogue) villain, who has mucous-y dark force powers. All I can think of is maybe Sinestro?

OH! There's an answer to this....sort of.

Okay Quagmire was one of a number of villains introduced during the Squadron Supreme Gruenwald mini, right? But none of the villains are exactly like DC villains, unlike the heroes themselves. So what's up with that?

But here's the thing.

The Squadron Supreme had been created and introduced into in much older comics, so were sort of established Justice League knock off's.
But when it came time to properly explore their universe in Gruenwald 's maxi series, he was going to go for broke. The villains were also going to be a nod and wink/ loving hommage to the Distinguished Competition.
Like the Nighthawk villains were going to be analogues to Catwoman, the Penguin and I think the Riddler. Only DC had enough at that stage and started making legal noises. They allowed the Squadron Supreme to go as they were much older, but they put their foot down on new characters being created. So Gruenwald decided to change the villains so they were pretty different.

I suspect that Quagmire (being a GL foe) would have originally been much more like Sinestro. (And Ape-X would probably have been a Monsue Mellah/The Brain or Gorilla Grodd type.)

That being said I would have loved to been in the DC meeting where someone yells out...
"That's it! Marvel may have created their own version of Wonder Woman, Superman and Batman. BUT I'LL BE DAMNED IF I LET THEM GET THE PENGUIN!"

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 23, 2014

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Inkspot posted:

I think the idea was that all these newly-installed lights absorbed sunlight during the day and then emitted it at night to keep Gotham perpetually bright and, theoretically, lead to less crime. Dr. Dinosaur's obsession with crystals is what made me hesitant to include that detail, especially since the whole thing might be some kind of fever dream, but I'm almost entirely certain it's real.

'Tis no fever dream, it was real. It was called Batman: City of Light.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batman:_City_of_Light

It's got some pretty bad artwork* and Batman has a mental breakdown after a kid gets hurt while he's stopping crime, so there is litterally one issue that ends with Batman looking at his hands, crying and asking "what's happening to me."

About the only reason why I read thte story is because Cassandra Caine is featured prominently in it, and I'm a huge CC mark. Crispus Allen and Montoya are in it too.

Now the Batman: City of Crime arc, that's a great storyline.

*= Seriously check out the covers to the series, they are hilariously bad. I particularly love issue 6, which features Batman vomiting explosions.
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batman:_City_of_Light_Vol_1_6

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Metal Loaf posted:

Whatever may have happened, it is interesting that it was basically a reversal of the situation ten years earlier, when Byrne quit because Claremont was scripting it contrary to his own intentions (e.g. there's one issue where Colossus rips a stump out of the ground; Byrne wanted it to demonstrate how easy it was for him, but Claremont filled out the narration in a way that portrayed it as more of a titanic struggle).

The same thing happens during the Dark Phoenix saga. If you look at the fight between Colossus and Gladiator, the narration boxes make it sound like both combatants are fighting as equal.
Looking at the artwork, Gladiator is standing with his hands on his hips in full Superman pose as if to say "you can start punching me any second now Colossus. Any second. Oh wait, you are trying to hurt me? Never mind." The artwork makes it clear that Colossus is nothing compared to him.

Just another example of how artwrok and words can really differ.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

For ages in the Silver Age DC it was established fact that other universes had comics depicting the adventures of the Justice League or the Flash.
But this wasn't because the Flash was a fictional character. Rather those universes just psycically tuned into the Flashes adventures and copied their adventures and took it all as their own work.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

It happens in Warlock and the Infinity Watch pretty much immediately after. He doesn't lose them so much as the Living Tribunal decides that they will no longer work together, so he gives them away to his best buddies and also Thanos.

Mild difference:
Eternity petitions the Living Tribunal to stop the Gems from working together, and It questions Eternity's objectiveness in the whole affair. ("Is this not the law of nature? The strong seeking to supplant the weak?")

The Tribunal does say to Warlock he has to surrender the Gems. Warlock says he would resist, to which the Tribunal says any fight between them would lay waste to all reality.

So for a bit there, Warlock did play chicken with the Living Tribunal.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Skwirl posted:

The TV thread made me realize how little I know about Flash. What difference, if any, is there between Zoom and Reverse Flash?

The Reverse Flash is also known as Professor Zoom.

The first Reverse Flash was a future dude called Eobard Thawne. He was a guy who lived in the future where all the history of the Flash was common knowledge and became obsessed with the Flash and hated him. He gets FUTURE plastic surgery done to look like Barry Allen and duplicates the accident that gave Flash his powers to gain his own super speed. He travels back in time to fight the Flash in his time.

Like all silver age DC Villains, he losses, repeatedly. Eventually there is some weird storyline in the 70's where Thawne kills Iris Allen with a super speed vibrating punch. (I think part of the plot was that she was dressed up as Barbara Gordon Batgirl at the time for a costume party and he mistook her for Batgirl.)
Later on in the 80's, The Reverse Flash shows up and prepares to kill Flashes current fiancée with the same trick. Flash and Thawne race to the church and Barry snaps Thawne's neck, killing him.
This would lead to over a year long story line called the Trial of Barry Allen, where the Flash is charged with murder 2. It's a really long, convoluted story line that shows some correct insight into the legal profession (going with Murder 2 which the Flash arguably did commit as opposed to the common media friendly charge of Murder 1.) and some massive misteps. (A ghost from the future comes back in time and hypnotizes the jury into acquitting the Flash.)

And in the end it's revealed that Iris Allen also became a ghost who was sent into the future after she died, so Barry goes into the future and lives happily ever after with her....Until the Crisis happens and he dies.

The Second Reverse Flash, known as Zoom has a much simpler backstory. He's Hunter Zolmon a forensic profiler who was hired by the Central City PD to help them arrest the Rogues. Zolmon himself is a good cop who made a mistake on a raid of a super villain hideout which got people killed and himself wounded.

Zolomon helps out Wally West Flash until he runs afoul of Gorilla Grodd who cripples him, because Grodd is a jerk.
Zolomon becomes obsessed with fixing his past mistakes and tries to use the Cosmic Treadmill to go back in time. It blows up in his face, giving Zolomon time manipulation powers. (Which appear from the outside to be Super Speed.)
Now known as Zoom, Hunter has a twisted vision of the world, and sees that it's only through tragedy that people become stronger. So he decides to make the Flash a better hero by breaking him down.

He basically appears in Geoff John's run on Flash and you should track it down and read it.

Thawne came back and became the Reverse Flash again when Geoff Johns made him another one of his Johnsian literal characters. He also gave Thawne the ability to travel back in time and change history, but he was powerless to use this abillity on Barry Allen as doing so would cause Thawne to kill himself.

Then there is the current Reverse Flash in the nu52 who is like Iris Allen's brother. But that is silly and we will ignore that.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Is there a reason we're spoiler tagging character names that have been around for decades?

I think it's because there is a character named Eddy Thawne in the Flash TV show. And we nerds are supposed to suspect he's the Reverse Flash. Just like we are supposed to suspect Harrison Wells is Zoom. Or a time travelling HG Wells. Or something.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

The very first time the Hulkbuster suit ever showed up was was in an Ironman two parter. And in that one, the armour does well against the Hulk (basically they are shown being well matched.)

Funnily enough at no stage in that story is the suit ever called Hulkbuster, just a heavy duty exo-armour.

In all other fights against Hulk it hasn't done well. But the amour did show up in Knuff's run on Iron-Man after he got the Extremis upgrade. Basically the Hulkbuster suit was hyjacked and sent to kill the Avengers. It wrecked the Avenger's team and only Ironman was able to stop the suit from killing Captain America.

In a tragic state of affairs, Ironman has never said the lines "Who are you Gonna' call" or "I aint afraid of No Hulks" while wearing this armour in 616 continuity.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Gavok posted:

I'm doing an article on all the various versions/adaptations of Infinity Gauntlet. I'm wondering if I'm missing anything:

- The original story
- Avengers and the Infinity Gauntlet
- An issue of What The--?!
- What If Silver Surfer Possessed the Infinity Gauntlet?
- What If Impossible Man Possessed the Infinity Gauntlet?
- The What If story where Thanos turns Galactus into Elvis.
- What If: Newer Fantastic Four
- What If: Secret Wars (sort of counts)
- Super Hero Squad Season 2
- The video game Super Hero Squad: Infinity Gauntlet
- The arcade game Marvel Super Heroes
- The SNES game Marvel Super Heroes: War of the Gems

They never adapted it anywhere else, did they?

In my research, I've watched a bit of Super Hero Squad. They did an episode based on Planet Hulk, written by Jimmy Palmiotti. That's... unexpected.

Good list. Don't forget

- Infinity Wars (and possibly Infinity Crusade.)
- Adam Warlock and the Infinity Watch #1. (And possibly other issues of the series.)
- The Avengers/Malibu Crossover that involved the Infinity Gems and the 7th Infinity Gem (the Ego gem.)
- The first 6 issues of Jim Starlin's Thanos series involved the Infinity Gems. (And featured a skeleton that was originally supposed to be Rune from the Malibu universe until lawyers got involved.)
- The Infinity Abyss series from the late 90's.
- The recent Thanos annual which features Thanos time travelling from the middle of the events of Infinity Gauntlet to the past just after Thanos got blown up by Captain Mar-vel with the cosmic cube.
- JLAvengers.
- Jonathan Hickman's run on Fantastic Four.
- Jonathan Hickman's run on New Avenger's.
- Brian Michael Bendis' The Illumanti mini series.
- Brian Michael Bendis' run on New Avengers (the one with the Hood and the John Romita Jr artwork.)
-That What If where Doom gets the Infinity Gauntlet and makes Tony Stark's blood permanently alcholic.
- And of course one of the greatest comics ever published, Marvel's: Megamorphs.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 6, 2014

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Gavok posted:

I meant "Infinity Gauntlet" more in terms of the story than the object, but thanks.

I still count the Dr. Doom What If (on my list as What If: Secret Wars) because while Thanos isn't in it, it definitely acts like a comparison piece. It even ends with Doom depowered and becoming a farmer.

I might need to find that Thanos annual, though.

The Thanos annual was released in the summer.(Just before the Infinity Revelation which I've heard is just "Thanos and Adam Warlock smoke cosmic weed and chill" but this may be second hand information.) If you search Comixology for Thanos, the annual is one of the first results.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Keep an eye on this super powerful mutant I brainwashed against his will.

If you mean who gets the school then no, the story has not finished. But now it has time travel!

It's actually more like "Keep an eye on this super powerful mutant I brainwashed, because he asked me to as he couldn't live with the thought of what he became."

When viewed in the grand scheme of things, what Chuck did wasn't that bad. Especially when you compare it to the Illumanti ("Man Cap isn't towing our party line. MIND WIPE HIM!") or Axis ("Yeah we have a spell that's designed to turn bad people good. Let's use it. No we'll never discuss the ethics of what we've done.")

As for readers influence, would you count readers making a character so popular that the Comic Company's had to do stuff/change plans with them? Because there has been a load like that.
(Nearly anytime a villain has become an anti-hero it's as a result of that. Like Sabertooth or Venom. )
Or characters being brought back from the dead due to reader's wanting them back. (Damian Wayne.)
And I think all the stuff that happened with Xorn (post Morrison's run) was at least because readers like Xorn and didn't like the idea that he was a disguise and nothing else.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Gavok posted:

Weird question, but the return of Prez news made me think of John Belushi showing up in comics. I can only think of three instances, but I find them all kind of intriguing.

- That Sandman issue about Prez.
- The Marvel/SNL crossover.
- IDW Ghostbusters when the ghost of Jake Blues shows up to offer Ray some advice.

Are there any other examples? I know it works the other way around, as he played the Hulk on SNL one time.

During Mark Gruenwald' s run on Cap, two federal agents looking like the Blues Brothers seeking all the back tax Cap owes. It is just before John Walker takes over as Cap.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Oh, also Marvel UK had their own version of the Blues Brothers, the Sleeze Brothers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sleeze_Brothers

I mostly remember them as they appeared in a few Transformers UK issues.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Rhyno posted:

It's like how British lawyers wear those stupid wigs. The Judge in a Cybertronian trial wears a crowny thing.

Hey those wigs aren't stupid. We wear them for totally legitimate reasons. Like how the wig industry needs us to survive. Like how head lice among prisoners could make a come back.

Endless Mike posted:

Something about the Knights of Cybertron (a potentially mythical group of Cybertronians) being the only adequate peers to properly judge him, so he got them to fit him with a power disabler and let him co-captain Rodimus's ship to find said Knights.

On the one hand that is a pretty crazy length to go to in relation to one trial. On the other hand, when the judge is your literal nemesis, I can see where Megs is coming from. He's going for literally the only Transformers who aren't aware of who he is and what he has done.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Time travel. Same Loki.

Time travel. Same Loki. Has the potential to be the same Loki.

One of the main threads of Loki:Agent of Adguard is him finding out if he is destined to become the older King Loki ot not.

Already King Loki's messing has changed the way Thor and Angela meet and made it so Odin tells young Loki that he is proud of him, which he never did for King Loki.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

McSpanky posted:

I don't get why this is so hard for people to understand. I thought it was fairly well-known that Mystique was supposed to be Nightcrawler's father via morphing into a male form and conceiving with Destiny, and if she can do that with comparatively simple mutant powers then it should be trivial for a god-level shapeshifter to change genders on the fly.

Up until quite recently (like since Faction's run) fans didn't really see Thor or Loki as a God's. They were just super powered aliens and techno vikings. And people downplayed their magic.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Funnily enough after reading this thread, I decided to raise this question with my girlfriend.

The points that came up in our conversation was

1) Penis Envy is a thing many girls have, but it's more out of curiosity by women as opposed to all women secretly wanting dicks of their own.
2) If you were in a long term relationship with another woman, she thinks that it's something that couple would definitely try. (On the basis of "why not?")
3) As a shapeshifter who can literally change their gender, and has had male and female lovers in the past, it is something that is bound to come up.

Then she proceeded to get really hung up for the next 10 minutes (much like this thread) over how Mystique could have produced working, replicable sperm.

I pretty much had to go to "this is a universe where a guy can shoot punch lasers from his eyes. Just go with it."

SirDan3k posted:

Of course she can make functioning balls but it sill takes her time to produce sperm. So she probably still has them just in case the Destiny resurrection subplot in Wolverines goes anywhere. Obviously she stores them in like the ribcage just like any sane man would if we had the choice.
In the above mentioned solo series, there's a sequence where Mystique survives being shot multiple times in the chest, by shapeshifting all her internal organs away from her chest. She collapses afterwards from strain and bloodloss, but I always thought it was a creative use of her power.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Anyway, back on to more comic related stuff.

This weekend I had a thought. Namely how weird and different a lot of Silver Age DC characters started in comparison to how they developed.

For instance, when Sinestro was introduced in Green Lantern, he was originally a EX-Green Lantern who had been kicked out of the Corps for Space-Corruption. And he basically sold his services as a Green Lantern assassin who used technology and his working knowledge of the Corps against them. At the end of that first story he gets sentenced to the Anti-Matter Universe, is given a ring and basically becomes the Yello GL we all know.

In the Flash thread it also came up a bit. Originally The Reverse Flash was Professor Zoom, a guy who just wore a yellow version of the Flash's costume and was all about the future and evil technology.

Hell the Top was originally just a man who used spinning tops to commit crimes. By the end of Geoff John's run he was a man who had telekinetic powers and super intellect as a result of teaching himself how to spin.

Can anyone else think of Heroes or Villains who have radically changed power level/ motif from their starting appearances?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Die Laughing posted:

Those first two you mentioned never really changed that radically. Those are just their origins. I think I may just be missing your point.

I mean, in the very first Sinestro story (from Green Lantern #7 back in 1961) he doesn't have a Yellow Power ring at all. He just uses technology and his knowledge that Green Lantern's rings are powerless against the colour Yellow and that their charge runs out after 24 hours to fight them.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Green_Lantern_Vol_2_7

It's only in his second and substituent appearances did he become "dude who has a Yellow Power Ring, making him the anti-Green Lantern" that everyone associates him with.