Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Okay, so a friend of mine recently discovered a Blue Lantern whose internet nickname is 'Hope Corgi' (and like Dex-Starr, might be an actual earth dog selected by a Blue Lantern ring). But I know that in the most recent Green Lantern event Lights Out, the Blue Lantern Corps was wiped out to a man. Can anyone confirm the death or survival of Hope Corgi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

I think it says a lot about the current state of comics that I took a made up joke at complete face value without a second thought.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 30, 2014

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Okay, so I've been poking through Flashpoint. Let me see if I have this straight...

1) Aquaman and Wonder Woman were going to be married and had that happened everything would be maybe-fine, BUT

2) There is an evil plot by Orm and Penthesilea, the two's closest advisers, that ultimately results in a gigantic, devastating war between the two empires.

3) Said war and its weapons get so out of control that by the time Flash is about to retcon the universe away, Cyborg is detecting things that indicate the world's about to shake itself apart.

So...was it ever revealed exactly what Orm and Penthesilea were trying to do, or was it just GET ARTHUR/DIANA KILLED SO I CAN TAKE OVER MWAHAHAHA? Because if the latter, good job, you yahoos.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Here's a question about the forum itself: the thread about bad comic runs permanently closed? I wanted to bring up Mark Millar's Fantastic Four run, but I can't post in it.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Die Laughing posted:

Death of the Invisible Woman and Masters of Doom were pretty good arcs. Nu Earth, and Valeria having Reed levels of intelligence were both ideas that carried on into Hickman's run. Hitch was on point with his art, and the scripts were fairly entertaining, so I don't see what the problem is besides it being a Mark Millar Fantastic Four book.

It's the Masters of Doom arc; it reads like exceptionally bad fanfiction. Yes, one can argue that a lot of things of various degrees of popularity, especially comics, but Masters of Doom, to me, read more like bad fanfiction than a lot of things, to a greater degree.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

A Tin Of Beans posted:

What the gently caress is this from? Anyone know? Because I need to read whatever it is. :catstare:

That is Hawkeye making a last stand as Scarlet Witch burns down the Avengers around him, hence all the quivers.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Time for a newspaper comics question.

I'm reading IDW's Dick Tracy collections and stuff about Dick Tracy talks about how Flattop was the most popular villain Chester Gould ever created...and I don't see why. He didn't have THAT distinct a physical quirk (a flat head), nor did he do anything THAT exceptional as a villain that others villains didn't do in some fashion. He didn't even have an interesting quirk like Mumbles (who got brought back from the dead more than once because of it). So why did people like Flattop so much? Was it a 1940's thing?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

What exactly happened in the last issue of Hellblazer Vertigo? Okay so Constantine used magic to die and revive or fake death or something to trick the Fates and he delivered his wife's bastard father to Satan and at the end he suddenly decided the trick wouldn't work so he tracked down his niece Gemma, who shot him with some kind of syringe dart and then...he disappeared and then ended up as an old man in a pub? This might have been the afterlife?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

So what happens if Ghost Rider uses his Penance Stare on a hero? I assume with his history there may be variants, but it's supposed to make people feel all the pain and suffering they inflicted on the INNOCENT, so...does indirect pain and suffering count? If a hero defeats a villain and locks them up, and then the villain breaks out and goes on a mad rampage to draw the hero's attention, does that mean the hero is responsible for the pain and suffering the villain caused in their supposed name?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The problem with Magneto's powers is ultimately, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. In theory, the man should be able to kill like 95 percent of all of Marvel's characters by looking at them (Electromagnetism includes electricity, our brains run on electrical signals, if he can mentally control electricity he should be able to just turn off people like a switch, boom, they brain dead), but if you bring that up, you have to start inventing excuses why he doesn't do that (needle in a haystack, too much concentration, whatever) and people complain they're excuses. If you try to just avoid mentioning it at all, then the same shitgoblins will just bring it up themselves. Really, you might as well have him lose by suffering a complete lack of confidence over being tricked by a wooden gun. It's not like the types will accept anything else anyway.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Squizzle posted:

And yet, MRI machines don't wipe your brain, and transcranial magnetic simulation is still a weird baby science unless something happened when I wasn't looking (which, to be fair, is totally possible).

True, but they're not DESIGNED to do that. If you have complete mental control of electromagnetism, the details are basically the coat of paint and the furniture in the house you are dropping a large bomb on.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

At least We3 has a somewhat happy ending.

Really, I'd nominate Hickman's whole Avengers "Everything Dies" run. When it opens with a line like this...

"It breaks hope -- it crushes what makes us decent and steals what little honor remains. You have... no idea what is coming."

And the story then treats that line like a grim inescapable nihilistic reality instead of a great challenge to strive to overcome, well...that's not what superhero comics really are, IMO.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Only if you do something no-one will ever do and ignore that Secret Wars is the actual ending.

True, but why was there Secret Wars? The heroes didn't save existence, Doom did. The greatest and noblest minds fragmented and broke just like that line said: Captain America and Iron Man (and yes Tony was inverted but still) spent the last moments of the first canon Marvel universe trying to destroy each other instead of going down swinging. Now yes, ultimately Reed Richards confronted Doom and made him admit his failings and ultimately got to fix the Marvel Multiverse, hence ultimately the heroes ended up saving the day, but the only reason that got to happen is that there was something resembling reality left, and who ended up doing that? One of the Marvel Universe's worst. It's pretty drat bleak: it'd be like if psychic aliens invaded the world and the ones who ultimately stopped them were ISIS and the many nasty forces in Africa running roughshed in the chaos and mass murdering as many people as they could, overwhelming the psychic aliens with pure suffering.

Basically, overall, the story needed more 'Thor calls his hammer back through a back' and less 'Now we are all monsters'.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

A few questions.

1) While having a general nerd debate last night, a friend of a friend said that per Marvel's stats, Hercules is stronger than the Hulk. I am sure there is an asterisk or two there somewhere; does anyone know anything about such a claim? Is it something like "Hercules has the highest natural super strength, unlike the Hulk who is a gamma mutant and gains strength through rage', or something in that vein? Has anyone heard anything about such a claim?

2) Earlier, the usual 'Why doesn't Batman just kill the Joker' debate came up, and I pointed out the ultimate reason: it's fiction and hence whatever Batman does or does not do is more or less arbitrary. But while debating, I thought that if you managed to organically create a situation (likely very difficult) where there was no choice but to kill the Joker, there's no time to think of a third option or pull something out of a hat, and Joker's not playing his mind games 'You do it you're damned' card, and if not done many innocent people will die, I do think Batman could kill the Joker. My friend then added that if that did happen, Batman would then turn himself in for murder. I disagreed that that would ALWAYS be the end result.

So this is a general opinion question: Say Batman did kill the Joker, on the spot had to be made decision to save innocent lives, Joker is not helpless, it is clearly in self-defense and in the defense of others, and this was done so it didn't come off as contrived or forced. Would Batman turn himself in for murder, without a doubt, every time? I think if all the i's were dotted and t's were crossed, no, he wouldn't. It would hurt him a lot, but I think he'd ultimately conclude that being free to help others is more important than his own personal moral agony.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Okay, I just finished Chew, and I'm a little confused on some details (reading it all in spurts over several years probably didn't help). Let's see if I got this correctly...

Evolution was actually inclined for avians to become the prominently sapient species (ie, homo gallus instead of homo sapiens), but something went wrong on Earth (and other planets) and it went different ways, on earth it was primates. An avian alien species evolved much faster and set off into the universe, and any time they encountered a planet where their 'relatives' were food items, they gave the planet a supposed warning (fire writing in the sky) and if they didn't stop eating chicken (or the equivilant), they'd blow the planet up. NASA observers discovered this through long range telescopes (ie, planets getting writing in their skies and then blowing up), and several people drastically misinterpreted the message and, in attempting to respond, caused a massive worldwide genocide that was blamed on 'bird flu' and used by those in power to attempt to wholly ban chicken so the avian aliens wouldn't blow up Earth for eating their 'relatives'. The series is about various characters trying to puzzle this out, and at the end Tony Chu is forced to basically kill everyone on Earth who has chicken in their systems. Decades later, the avian aliens arrive (as FTL travel doesn't seem to be in their tech layout), and Tony, absolutely furious over how they condemned millions of people to death over an incomprehensible message that virtually no one could have understood properly, and how said events around said message and judgment over eating chicken resulted in the deaths of his wife and partner (and by some extent, his sister), basically goes "gently caress peace, gently caress brotherhood, you fuckers played god and I sure as hell aren't letting the likes of YOU assholes pass judgment over us" and the series ends with him stabbing the head 'chicken alien'; who knows what happened after that because that's literally the last page.

The Vampire was unrelated to all this, just being a psychopath who wanted to collect as many food powers as he could.

There's a few things I'm unsure of. Was it implied that someone deliberately tampered with Earth's evolution so humans ended up on top and chickens became domesticated animals used primarily for food? WAS the Vampire completely unconnected to the greater bird flu/fire writing/chicken is doom overall book-length plot? Did the chicken aliens really come in peace, or did they have hidden malevolent intentions, or was it more of a "we're more advanced, and we'll share with you lower lifeforms, but we're gonna do so on our terms and if we don't like how you do things we'll think nothing of stepping on you', which caused countless deaths and ultimately led to Tony deciding that their actions were too high a price for peace? Did I miss anything else?

Darn good series anyway. I highly recommend it.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

TenCentFang posted:

It's technically a morning star. :smug:

To be super technical a morning star is a club whose ends tend to be excessively spiky or bladey (and sometimes with the head attached to a chain attached to the shaft): Hawkman's weapon tends to be very round with protusions that are SOMEWHAT spiky, but look more like raised bumps. So I think the term mace fits the weapon better. :smug: :smug: :smug:

Here's something I've been puzzling over due to Preacher on TV. In the original comic, Jesse's power lets him command people to do anything he says, and they'll follow the command in SOME way if it's something semi-vague. However, there's a point where someone else is pretending to be him, and the villains try and make the false Jesse show off the power of the Word by having him command a lame man (who was that way since birth) to cast off his crutches and walk. Obviously, it doesn't work. I just sort of wondered that even if that WAS Jesse using the Word if it would have worked. I mean, he's commanded some vague things he told someone to DIE and they just sort of shut off, and he yelled at a bunch of people to BURN and they all caught fire seemingly from no source, ala spontaneous human combustion, but it didn't seem to be THAT severe a fire as the main bad guy put himself out by diving in a horse troth, but I have no idea if he could make dead-since-birth legs work again. His power, after all, forces people to OBEY, but it seems like a blood from a stone situation.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

So for New Years a local channel decided to run the Deadpool movie over and over ala TBS and a Christmas Story, and between that in pieces on and off during the day, and the teaser for the sequel, something occurred to me.

Has Deadpool always been this crude? I mean, he's immature and hence probably thinks toilet humor is the highest of comedies, but I could have sworn in the earlier days he leaned more towards nonsense/random humor than fart and masturbation jokes. Is this a recent thing or did I just not notice this in the earlier days? Because to me, it seems 'below' Deadpool to utilize so many dirty jokes; he's more creative (and insane) than that.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Speaking of excessive violence, this thread's title made me remember another question.

Just WHY did Major Force kill Alexandra? He wasn't an enemy of Green Lanterns before then: he was Captain Atom's evil counterpart. Did Kyle do something when he first got his ring to piss him off? Or did Force just sort of wander into the pair's life ala a serial killer and Alex's death was just 'bad luck'? It WAS established in his backstory he was already a murderer and a rapist (it's why he had his powers), but in a greater fictional world the 'he just happened into their lives' often just sounds off (unlike reality, where it's the case 99.7 percent of the time with misogynistic serial killers).

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Speaking of "Something Of X" storylines, what's the deal with Cyclops suddenly being considered Hitler? I know his reputation took a severe hit with the whole Phoenix Force mess, but as far as I can tell after Secret Wars he found out the Terrigen Mists were toxic to mutants, then it killed him, then Emma went around using a fake mental illusion Cyclops that yelled at the world about how the Inhumans were killing them, had another mutant alter a Terrigen cloud, and then faked having Black Bolt kill the illusion Cyclops to frame him as a martyr. Somehow this caused the latest zenith of HATE AND FEAR (or just hate) Did I miss something? That's not a GOOD thing to do but it seems like they're making a mountain out of...a really big hill, I guess.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Young Bruce Wayne would probably be as vulnerable as any child: he may have decided to be Batman but it took him years to fully BECOME Batman. However, I think his willpower at that point would be enough that he would at least ESCAPE Pennywise. But considering this is long before he's exposed to the 100 million flavors of crazy that the superhero life has, I suspect it would mess him up even more, and I have a feeling the Joker might not benefit from his no-kill rule in such a Batman.

Pennywise would steer well clear of Adult Bruce. He targets children because their fears are simple: he occasionally feeds on adults but avoids it because adults have complicated fears that are harder to exploit than 'turn into a monster'. For someone like Bruce after all his training, he'd probably read to Pennywise like something emitting dangerous amounts of radiation. If he was weakened enough by essentially some normal kids/adults fighting through their fear that they could beat him to death (twice), then someone like Batman who not only has trained his mind but has been repeatedly exposed to outside agents that invoke fear (and powered through them) would be like trying to stab a bear to death with an icepick. Theoretically possible, but I don't think it's going to work out for you.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Okay, so, after a recent review of terrible X-Men comics made me remember Grant Morrison's run, I began flipping through it again and I realize, I still have no idea what the hell the deal was with Cassandra Nova.

Okay, let me see if I have this straight. The Shi'ar present the concept of the "Mummandrai", which is some sort of literal malignant force that manifests in the womb of...sapient species? All life? I forget. The idea is that this is some sort of life test where we are first exposed to a truly dangerous 'Other', like it's some sort of initial imprint of survival instincts. The fetus must confront and defeat/banish/not succumb to the Mummandrai: those that fail are miscarriages and stillbirths etc. But Xavier's mutant DNA was so potent that when his Mummandrai confronted him, it was able to literally siphon off the raw energy or something to create a twin in the flesh. Fetus Xavier somehow on some deep primal level recognized the danger of this and strangled Nova, his twin/clone/etc in the womb, but even then, she survived, though it took her decades 'attached to a sewer wall' to grow a new body.

So, uh...how did she get in the sewer? Did Xavier's mother expel her corpse when Charles was born, or some time earlier, and some lazy medical tech just flushed the mess down the toilet? And from there, she somehow turns up in South America even later, where she puts a plan into motion to unleash 'wild Sentinels' on Genosha, leading to a massive genocide because she really hates mutants because...her not-brother strangled her. And maybe Sublime, did he have a role in this?

Also, I don't get why these 'wild Sentinels' were so dangerous. From what I can tell, they could assimilate material into their bodies to improve and enhance them (I remember a giant fist made out of an airplane that seemingly did in Magneto, who I think was recovering from injuries suffered in an earlier arc); that's bad but I don't see how it made them so dangerous and powerful they were able to wipe out sixteen million mutants in the course of a day.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

That reminds me.

Thanos' whole thing is 'I love Death, I want her to love me.' and him always failing to get this, most notably when he got the Infinity Gauntlet for the first time and this made him superior to her instead of an equal. The whole idea presented, especially with Deadpool, is that Thanos is essentially a stalker who doesn't get that the girl is either not into him or is immensely fickle and not worth it, and in some appearances it seems Death outright resents Thanos' efforts (she turned on him once he got the Gauntlet for example, even though he explicitly did it FOR HER, AFTER she brought him back to life and augmented his power so she could have him 'reshape the cosmos in her image'. All she would have to do is say 'No' and Thanos would have immediately dropped it and gone looking for something else) to try and woo her.

But, IIRC, Death actually visited Thanos when he was a young child and their interactions are what planted the first seed for his obsession. Has this been retconned? Or is Death just a massive hypocrite?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The U-Foes ARE dumb, in the sense that their first appearance had them beating themselves by not being able to control their own powers. As one assessment put it...

"Vapour can turn herself into any gas... but soon cannot keep her molecules together. Ironclad can increase his mass... which keeps increasing so he cannot move and sinks into the ground. X-Ray's ability to manipulate radiation very nearly causes him to explode from absorbing too much energy. And their leader Vector can repel things — eventually he repels the air around him so he suffocates, then he repels Earth itself and shoots out into space."

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

And they got their powers because their leader looked at the FF and decided he's do the same thing.

And it WORKED: they actually ended up with a stronger set of powers. But they're so dumb and unambitious that they might as well be Shocker Mk 2, Except Less Effective.

If the U-Foes had some brains and ambition, they could easily carry a big crossover as the bad guys.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Beerdeer posted:

How is Unus, the mutant whose last name is Unuscione and who has a force field, not connected to Unuscione, the mutant whose last name is Unuscione and who has a force field?

In one if the Marvel print books, she is explicitly his daughter.

Seems the writer put more thought into it then Marvel.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

There's also Billy Batson and the Magic of Shazam if you want to try something different.

It also has the greatest version of Black Adam and the Seven Deadly Sins/Seven Deadly Enemies Of Man outside of Geoff Johns when he's on point.

(And some games for kids: the nonsense names and bottom text is a cipher that is given in the book so kids can try and decode it)

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Right, so after seeing this old comic bit, an old question floated to my mind.

Thanos' history is pretty messy, because it's a constant tug of war between his creator Jim Starlin who seems to consider himself Thanos' 'gatekeeper' and the only one who can 'truly' write him, and writers who did other things that disagreed with Starlin, hence 'forcing' him to do retcons. Thanos has a series of clones called the Thanosei that are 'so perfect they can even fool the Watcher' (to explain away any plans or defeats by Thanos Starlin didn't write), is one of the biggest examples. As a result I'm left wondering about this one question.

Thanos' whole comic motivation is "I love Death, I want Death to love me." while Death either comes off as extremely fickle if not outright manipulative, or that she isn't actually interested in Thanos that way and he doesn't realize he's a darn stalker. It doesn't help when she does stuff like bring him back to life, give him power to shape the universe to her desires, and he decides to go form the Infinity Gauntlet to do as she wishes and asked him, while she NEVER BRINGS UP THE ISSUE THAT IF HE DOES THAT, he'll be her superior instead of an equal (and man, does that piss her off, which makes it even worse than she DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING). Most of the time, it seems to be a problem on Thanos' end...

Except in a lengthy, Marvel published character biography (collected I believe in the collection of the 2006 Thanos series), supposedly Death first met Thanos as a young child, in which she purposely sought him out and implanted the very first seeds of what would become his obsession. I THINK he might have had some weird morbid interests at the time, as he was both 1) An Eternal with a gene error that made him look like a Deviant, the Eternal's 'dark mirrors' (though unlike a LOT of these stories, he was not rejected as a child by other children for this, and was in fact admired for his great intelligence), and 2) Insanely intelligent both for his age and for an Eternal. His behavior in that Christmas comic (ie, actually showing a speck of 'humanity') basically makes me wonder how much of Thanos' villainy springs from him and how much from Death purposely inserting herself into his life when he'd be at his most impressionable. I have no idea if this was Starlin or not, and hence I'm just sort of lost on whether Thanos is equally tragic as well as villainous, or if he's much more a pure villain.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Uthor posted:

*she was totally real and not just someone he made up.

Technically, she was both. And also greatly resembled him, which probably is its own can of worms.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

So, I just heard that since Doomsday Clock got so delayed that now it might be declared non-canon. Never mind that it is tied to what supposedly created the New 52. Any veracity to this claim or just general gossip nonsense?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Failed a friend of mine who comes to me for comic knowledge, so if anyone can succeed where I failed, he linked this page.

Who's the guy in the bottom right, in the blue and white jumpsuit with the ringed planet on his chest? I thought Starfox at first because of the hair, but I'm pretty sure he never fought Mar-vell or had an outfit like that...

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

So a friend of mine was asking me about the Living Corpse comic series/new issues. I go look around, and he asks about a series called "Relics" (ie Living Corpse: Relics) that was funded on Kickstarter in 2016. I tried finding this series: nothing. Information about it is all based on the Kickstarter in 2016 and a Youtube 'trailer' in 2017 that has no comments. What happened to this new miniseries? Kickstarter nonsense? Did the author pass away or something?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Which issue of the Dark Nights Metal storyline had the picture of a whole bunch of Dark Multiverse concepts on a splash page? The one I mainly remember was a 'Parasite Superman'. There were some others with a 'Cheetah Wonder Woman' and 'Riddler with a question mark shaved on his head', I found those, but I can't find that dark Parasite Superman and others splash page

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Nessus posted:

What are some good storylines featuring Black Cat to look into? I'm thinking I should read some of Vulpes' work and I have no idea where to start with any of this "Spider-man" business.

I don't know what to recommend, but I'm pretty sure this forum will NOT recommend "The Evil That Men Do", ie, DON'T read it.

Two questions from me perusing old X-Men storylines from Grant Morrison's run.

1) Here is Cassandra Nova's origin.

"Cassandra Nova Xavier is what the Shi'ar call "Mummudrai", the spirit that is the equal and opposite of a person. However, due to the amazing genetic potential of Professor Charles Xavier, his Mummudrai was able to create a physical form, effectively a twin. While gestating in her mother Sharon Xavier's, womb, Cassandra was recognized by Charles as an evil presence, and he preemptively tried to kill her with his nascent psychic abilities. Cassandra was barely able to defend herself and the shock of the roiling battle caused Sharon to have a miscarriage. Though the doctors pronounced her stillborn,[2] Cassandra in fact survived and spent the next decades as a growing mass of cells in a sewer wall, building a new body for herself and planning her revenge on her brother."

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but...how did she get onto this sewer wall? Are they implying they disposed of her stillborn body into the sewers?

2) Nova's first act was to program several "Wild Sentinels" to go commit genocide in Genosha. I know Sentinels are supposed to be dangerous and writers can often flip around between making them so and just making them giant punching bags (The 90's X-Men cartoon was real bad about that), but how in the heck were these machines so strong they took out a nation of 16 million mutants, of which I'm sure plenty had offensive based powers? I mean, yes, at the time Magneto was badly injured and hence not really an option for a defense, but it always struck me as weird that these "Wild Sentinels" could do so much damage beyond the fact that was what Grant Morrison wanted to do for his plot.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Okay. Let me see if I got the plot of the Tom King Batman run down. And JUST IN CASE I'll put it in spoilers.

1) Two superhumans show up to protect Gotham. Their powers are killing them. In the end the man dies and the girl survives.

2) Batman goes to break into a prison to rescue the Psycho-Pirate from Bane to help the girl.

3) Bane is pissed and attacks Gotham, but after a close fight Batman defeats him(or does he?). This is around when his relationship with Catwoman starts becoming super serious.

4) Batman decides he can't marry Catwoman until he talks about a supercriminal mob war between Joker and Riddler with the terrible name of "The War of Jokes And Riddles". I don't know what I would have named it that could be better, but I still think it's terrible.

5) Basically nothing super important happens until the wedding, where Catwoman doesn't show up. It turns out everything has been arranged by Bane in a super complex plan to break the Bat, again, and she got manipulated into breaking it off.

6) Batman has a psychological breakdown for like 20 issues.

7) It turns out Bane is working with Flashpoint Batman, ie Thomas Wayne, who has somehow come to the main DC Universe, is now somehow the equal of Bruce when it was clear he was not in Flashpoint (the downside of starting in his middle age). Flashpoint Thomas no longer wants Bruce to be Batman because it's a curse, and he and Bane beat him up and he drags Bruce off with Martha's body to dump her in a Lazarus Pit to put the family together again. Bruce refuses, they fight, Bruce loses.

8) Bane somehow gets Gotham City officially signed over to him, making it the 'city of Bane'. It is protected by the superhuman girl, who is now somehow strong enough to trash Captain Atom.

9) Batman recovers and returns to Gotham, as the Bat-Family launch a counter offensive. To punish them, Bane kills Alfred.

10) Batman and co beat up Bane and Thomas and win. Batman and Catwoman get married in secret or decide to be common law, I forget.

10.5) Tom King misses a huge chance by not implying Bat-Mite is behind it all. I'm not joking, it could have worked.

And as a bonus, after that somehow Joker did something where he got ahold of the Wayne fortune and got a new girl sidekick who got shoved down everyone's throats and now Batman has to protect Gotham with most of his resources now gone. Am I right?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

X-O posted:

Wow. When you lay it all down like that it sounds even stupider than I'd thought.

To be fair, most comic storylines will sound stupid if you lay them out like that. Here, let's lay out, say, Frank Miller's original Daredevil run, and I'm going by memory here so forgive holes/errors.

1) It is revealed that Daredevil was trained by ninjas and there are evil ninjas who have battled him his whole life but they've never been mentioned before.

2) Kingpin decides he doesn't want to fight Spider Man any more and instead starts fighting with Daredevil. During their first fight Kingpin's wife gets bonked on the head and wanders off with amnesia and Kingpin thinks she's dead.

3) Millar introduces a woman named Elektra who dated Matt in college and was the real love of his life forget Karen Page. Then he introduces a new villain calls Bullseye who murders her so she existed just to die.

4) Daredevil breaks Bullseye's neck and then plays Russian Roulette with him. This is either terrible or awesome.

5) For some reason we keep looking in on the incompetent Kingpin henchman Turk who keeps failing upwards. At one point he steals Stilt-Man's suit. This works about as well as you would expect.

6) Miller brings Elektra back to life because hey letting anyone stay dead for a year is too long.

7) Karen Page, now a drug addicted porn star, sells Matt's identity for a fix. Kingpin utterly destroys Matt's life.

8) Matt recovers with the help of his mother, who isn't dead but instead ran off to be a nun, and defeats an evil Daredevil impersonator and a crazy super soldier called Nuke. Also there's some really great scenes with Captain America which is a shame as it's a DAREDEVIL book.

9) Things end up more or less where they started, except Matt's life is filled with ninjas now.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Unmature posted:

Don’t you dare call Fletcher Hanks bad

If Hanks had just written his bonkers stories and stopped there, he'd be akin to Ed Wood. But by all accounts he was a total POS which 1) Explains a lot of his writing, and 2) Means he gets no kindness in turn. Hell, he's lucky he managed to be remembered at all: it's better than he deserved.

But yeah, I can't think of anything that goes beyond Marville when it comes to something that went off the rails so hard that by the end it had annihilated the very concept of rails. Compared to that. Frank Miller fails at a sequel (And I thought "DKRIII: Master Race", which he contributed to but had others doing most of the work, was actually pretty good and shows that there's still traces of the talent that turned the 80's comic world on its head) and Aunt May as a young woman has sexual fun is positively sublime.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 28, 2020

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Rhyno posted:

World Watch maybe? Where the evil Hulk was going to rape the Wonder Woman stand in?

I went and looked this up.

Eh, it's basically a Garth Ennis Avatar comic with the adult dial turned more towards masturbatory appeal than toilet humor with the usual misogyny dusting. I wouldn't really file it under 'so bad it's fun'.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Which comic was it where Young Justice's Secret (the character) asked the Spectre if he could make a rock so big, even he couldn't pick it up?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

So, any news on what's taking Saga so long to start up again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

So, uh...what happened with Avatar Press? It just sort of went dark in 2019 and just issued reprints/might still be doing so. I ask mainly because the last four issues of Uber won't come out until 'their issues work out', except there's no real info on what those issues are or were.

Knowing the industry, I'm guessing someone cored the whole company out and ran off with the money.