Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Was Franklin Richards supposed to be the Omega superhero from the get go or was that an idea that came in later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I should've used a different term, I just mean when Franklin was created in the 60's if he was intended to be one of the most powerful characters in the Marvel universe. Was he even supposed to be a mutant or is that all Hickman?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

redbackground posted:

Nope. (or so I've heard repeated on this forum a few times)

They aren't no, which is a shame. Dunno if it's licensing or content issues though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The other clip from that same episode is even better, but I'm also on mobile and can't link. Basically he goes to get gas in his metal car just so he can call the attendant a fool when he reveals it doesnt need gas.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

None of that seems significantly worse than Heinlein, really.

I don't think Heinlein actually believed anything he wrote, his stuff is all over the place ideologically. Stranger in a Strange Land and Moon is a Harsh Mistress espouse diametrically opposed philosophies.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Idran posted:

Nah, he started out as a pretty strong liberal back in the 30s and 40s, but by the 60s he was total anarchist/libertarian; Professor La Paz was essentially a political self-insert by the time "Moon is a Harsh Mistress" was published. He was just all about free love for the entirety of his life too, which is where all the weird sex stuff in his books came from.

His contemporaries - Asimov, Clarke, so on, the general Golden Age sci fi community - they all said pretty much the same thing about him. I'm pretty sure I remember Asimov actually mentioning in one of his biographies how annoying Heinlein's late career political swing was, even, because he was extremely vocal about his political beliefs to just about anyone that'd listen.

Hmm too bad. This seems to happen with a lot of sci fi authors.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-O posted:

Like I said something about Fantastic Four brings out the tolerability in Mark Millar. It's almost as if he has some kind of special reverence for the book because he doesn't bring his usual pessimistic immature style to it like he does to other books and instead just kind of writes a decent if not spectacular Fantastic Four book.

Mike Carey's stuff on UFF is one of the high points of the entire Ultimate line to me though. I love his stuff there.

Speaking of, has anyone read Huck? It's supposed to be Millar at his most optimistic.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm reading the first Miller DD run and there's this whole subplot about Matt undermining his girlfriend, who is trying to take a firmer hand in the business she inherited, and basically coercing her into marrying him. Then Miller left the book without resolving it so my question is: WTF. Well the resolution is Foggy gets Black Widow to forge mutual breakup notes, but they never explained why Matt was acting like that.

Yes I know about Miller and women, I'm more curious about what the hell is supposed to be happening.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought it happened at the same time as the Elektra saga, so that was messing with his mind. He was also not in the best place mentally, and do not worry about that girlfriend as she kills herself.

drat, a poor end for a DD gf? That's unexpected.

I feel like, with world actually caring about what happens to female characters now, later seasons of DD are going to get some raised eyebrows.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm about to read Born Again I sure hope there's no problematic treatment of women in that!

e: another question, in the older comics when someone is listed as "layouts" I assume that's pencils. Embellisher though, is that ink and color or just one or the other?

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 22, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, layouts is basically, I thought, self-explanatory. It's literally laying out how the panels will go on the page and broadly what's going to be depicted in each, like a visual script. Then the penciller/inker/artist will take that and make the finished art. It's pretty much how Miller and Janson ended up working a lot of the time, I believe.

I guess I was confused because suddenly Miller went from pencils to layouts, I thought maybe they were just altering the terms or whatever.

So embellisher would be "everything else except these rough sketches"?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Are there Big 2 creators who write and draw their own monthlies anymore?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

Karre Andrews doesn't do a ton of stuff, but he did everything(as far as I remember) on that Iron Fist series a while back.

Was it any good?

Also, is a single writer/penciller more or less common now?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Squizzle posted:

It's a classic look.

Whoa, four Cyborgs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Namor can fly too.

Oh is he still dead, I'm six mos. behind.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's really weird how hard DC gets for secret ID's and there are like two Marvel guys with secret IDs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sounds like the person that recommended you God of Thunder is a handsome genius with impeccable taste in comics and probably everything really.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ultragonk posted:

Is "Fear Itself" a good crossover?

Oh lord no.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'd recommend the X-men FI Tie in but it's drawn by Greg Land.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-O posted:

Also in that Wizard Top 10 notice how Artist gets top billing over Writer and how bad most of that art looks. There's the '90s in a nutshell for you.

I've never heard of Shi or Lady Death, are those Image books?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-O posted:

Shi is not surprising. How you've been aware of comics at all for any period of time and not been unfortunately exposed to Lady Death is a surprise. No, neither were Image.

Wildstorm?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pretty glad I wasn't reading comics in the 90s as an impressionable teen.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

redbackground posted:

I want to know who here actually owns a comic starring LD's labelmate Purgatori.

Oh they turned Lords of Acid CD art into a comic book, huh.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Don't think too hard about the relationship of the Asgardian cosmology to the Marvel reality, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uthor posted:

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Some of us haven't finished reading The Great War, yet!

It really drags on and on.