Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Are there Thor runs before Simonson that are worth reading? My experience with Iron Man v1 leads me to believe that there are far more worthy runs to check out than most Best Of lists will have you believe and I'm guessing it's probably the same with Thor.

I read a fair bit of the (original) JiM run back in the day so I know one answer to my question is probably "Kirby" but are there others?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Die Laughing posted:

The later Kirby stuff is much better than the older stuff. 160-169 has probably the best stuff.

Thank you! I probably picked the worst time to ask a general question in this thread.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Thanks again for the Thor recommendations!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Am I crazy for wondering if there is an explanation of how Dr. Strange's spells actually work? I'm reading the original Strange Tales now thanks to MU it's really enjoyable but that part of the geek personality that needs explanations for everything makes me constantly wonder what is going on. It's pretty much relying on the speech and thought bubbles and they don't amount to much more than "oh no my spells aren't as strong as his! but what if i do... THIS! haha now my spells are the stronger ones!"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I've always wanted to go through all of Dr. Strange's comics and detail all the spells he's used.

But not enough to actually do it or anything, mind.

So far everything I've read doesn't really have any spell details. He invokes lots of names but other than Obvious Shield-Shaped Barrier and Colourful Magic Beam they're not differentiated in the way you might expect from an RPG.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Halloween Jack posted:

I've always taken for granted that Strange has a few simple powers he can use whenever, like shooting magic lasers, making magic forcefields, and dispelling bad guys' magical tricks, astral travel, and other stuff he's repeatedly demonstrated he can do whenever. But anything more complex or plot-devicey requires rituals, doodads, cooperation for astral entities, the sort of thing that allows the writer to wring a story out of it.

Magic with a zillion fake laws of fake physics attached to it is no fun, of course, but stories have more internal logic when you look at them through that lens.

Kinda like what prefect said. You get the sense that he has his "Personal" well of strength and stamina for most of his basic fireworks but needs to draw on "Dimensional" beings when he shouldn't/can't use his own magic to power spells.

And then there's the Eye which has its own set of powerful abilities that he can use at will and is a power source in an of itself.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pastry of the Year posted:

Get yourself a sandwich and a comfy chair, friend:

http://www.luckymojo.com/vishanti.html

Holyyyyy fuuuuuuck.....

Gotta say, I much prefer the rhyming spells I don't know why. I also loved when Thor used to rhyme during big moments. Gave the sense that he had to truly summon his might instead of always being at the same baseline of incredible power. Also tied in with the old sagas; you can imagine the sagas weren't making up dialogue but just quoting the man himself.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Skwirl posted:

Dr. Strange is all about alliteration, not rhymes. Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth and all that.

He's a smart guy, he can do both!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ventriloquism!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

muscles like this? posted:

The DC character Breach had a pretty ignoble end. His series got canceled but they say he's going to appear in Infinite Crisis. He's in the event for a grand total of one panel and in the original release he got colored as part of the background so you don't even notice it is him. Apparently he died in the event because he shows up again in Blackest Night as a zombie.

I've never read a single panel featuring Breach and indeed, I don't tend to follow DC comics in general anyway but even after all these years I know who you're talking about purely on the strength of his costume and cover design.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I really liked the concept of Freedom Ring, especially in the way his ring's need for violence or chaos to fuel the ring's abilities was almost self-aware in its use towards making a superhero who has to get out there and bust heads in. But it needed its own space rather than being squeezed in and around other MTU storylines.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

I liked how everyone just forgot he was living in the batcave when Azrael took it over, including Azrael himself, who was really surprised that a new Batmotrain was waiting for him down there one morning.

I remember one panel of Harold and Ace walking down a tunnel and I feel like the narration said something to the effect of both of them gave Jean-Paul a wide berth and stayed clear. I mean, the "Cave" is really just one cave in a vast subterranean system. Plenty of room for Harold to stay in his own wing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

Except that he died, and that there's obviously nothing left to say about him since no one has done anything interesting with the character at all since he came back. There's no reason at all to bring him back instead of focusing on creating new and interesting supporting characters.

I think there could be some interesting stuff now if they tried to make a connection between how Peter has his company and Harry used to have his father's. But I don't know if there's much to mine from that.

Also, if Harry isn't a wreck and if he isn't a supervillain to Spider-Man, there's really not a whole lot to him. His greatest contributions have been getting addicted to drugs and being the Green Goblin. Without having the rest of the gang around like in the Coffee Bean days I honestly don't know what his role is supposed to be.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Die Laughing posted:

They're saying it now. Doesn't make people's hate boner for Slott not weird though.

McFarlane's stories in that collection aren't the best, but they're both solid issues showcasing two of Spider-Man's best villains. Also, Todd drew the hell out of pineapple Thing's brief appearence.

What modern one issue story would you guys include?

Oh man, only one-issue stories? That's tough. Otherwise I would have said "Unscheduled Stop" in Amazing 578-9 was pretty rad. It was that underground Shocker story by Waid and drawn by Marcos Martin.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Halloween Jack posted:

I think the main reason I didn't read Spider-Man much in the 90s is that I wasn't sure whether to buy regular, Amazing, Spectacular, Web of, Sensational, or Butter Pecan Spider-Man, and I didn't have enough money to read them all.

Oh come on, don't tell me you forgot about Spider-Man Unlimited, the ongoing whose claim to fame was coming out three times less often!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ribic also did (most of?) the interiors for the God Butcher storyline in the rockin' Thor: God of Thunder series.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

purple death ray posted:

I never read Dr. Strange back in the day but I always got the impression he was like a 70s lothario with like lava lamps and black light posters all over his pad. All encouraging young ladies to 'open their minds' and stuff.

You mean...

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Black Knight was practically the main character in the comic!

I remember Avengers Disassembled when it came out and it seemed like so much of the opposition to it was from a) people who never experienced the kind of Avengers runs you're talking about, b) the people who did experience them and preferred the Earth's Mightiest Heroes to be a minor league, and c) Spider-Man fans who needed him to remain teamless.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

WickedHate posted:

DC and Marvel have a healthy competition but they aren't blood enemies till the end of time.

All the creative and editorial teams love the characters from both companies. It's just upper management that can be cold to each other.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

RandallODim posted:

Well duh, he's only their most popular hero.

Wait, now I'm confused...

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Crisis of Infinite DC Analogues

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

10 Beers posted:

Has there ever been an issue around Christmas where Ma Kent finds out that Batman doesn't have parents and so invites him to Christmas dinner or knits him a sweater or something?

*happy Rockwell-esque scene of Superman, his family, and Batman all enjoying Christmas dinner*

*Alfred, alone, crying in the Batcave*

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pepper Potts and Happy Hogan mostly disappeared from Iron Man comics for twenty years until Heroes Reborn. They were not a part of most of his best eras.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

prefect posted:

Happy got killed so that Robert Downey Junior could bang movie-Pepper.

Happy is no big loss. Reading through the old comics it's not hard to see why they jettisoned him. The best use they ever got out of him was when he would turn into Freak so that Iron Man could have his sympathetic Lizard-type villain but that got old and they had played every angle of the love triangle among him, Pepper, and Tony (even more tiresome if you had seen the same thing play out elsewhere like Daredevil).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

prefect posted:

I liked that there was one woman who wasn't having sex with Tony. It was a nice exception.

Not for want of trying, though. And while Pepper was gone, there was the matronly secretary Mrs. Abrogast, his head of PR Marcy Pearson (Rhodey was the one sleeping with her), his startup partner Clytemnestra. No romance with them either.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

No it's Arbogast, you're right. Neither way ever sounds right to me even after seeing it a thousand times.

I promise to never chastise someone for Norman Osborne again.

(But all you Spiderman assholes can go straight to hell.)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cancer, no problem. Orange rocky skin? Oh, would you stop asking me already!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I've done `em all. My current system at home is just putting TPBs where they can fit on the different heights of shelves, when I used to collect floppies they were organized by title, when I used to work in a bookstore we did them by publisher then character (or if outside of Marvel and DC, by title), and when I used to downl---uh, I mean "collect pre-legal electronic versions" they were mostly in separate folders but the Spider-Man ones I meticulously ordered by release date or order of the story as I read them. I organized and renamed thirty goddamn years of Spider-Man comics in reading order.

Now thankfully I just do legit digital and I don't have to care about managing this stuff!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

And IIRC the reason is that the symbiote doesn't block Spider-Sense as a rule, only Peter's because it was bonded to him. Ben wasn't bonded to it so he's not affected.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Beachcomber posted:

Big Bertha is probably the fattest. If you discount her because she can become thin, then Fat Cobra would probably fit. If you think he doesn't count because sometimes he's an antagonist, maybe Butterball?

Don't forget Volstagg the Voluminous, too.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't know exactly when, but I'd wager in the 80s if you are looking for some kind of concrete "i have principles!" or "check out my origin as reporter!" examples. That's when you have his Scorpion funding past come back to bite him in the rear end so that he steps down as EIC and that's when Robertson goes through his Tombstone saga (though I don't recall if Jameson ever busts his chops over it or not).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The best thing that happened to Jonah was the introduction of Robbie. That Robbie was allowed to be who he was at the Bugle instantly humanizes Jonah and make him more sane.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Aphrodite posted:

Spider-Man - Wheatcakes

Favourite breakfast. I don't know if he has a fave food for lunch/dinner, though like any New Yorker he's been shown to enjoy pizza and hot dogs.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

^^Is that a comic strip or soap opera?

Lurdiak posted:

I would totally buy that Kryptonians were vegetarians and that Superman would give it a shot to try and connect with his heritage, and because he is friend to all animals. But I also think it'd be in-character if he gave up because he really misses hamburgers.

One of my favourite Superman covers:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CapnAndy posted:

Mostly true. He gets all the energy he needs and then some just from the sun; any calories from food are drops in a bucket. But energy is energy, so it's not technically useless. And he eats because he was raised human and likes the taste of food, rather than doing it just as an act to fit in.

This will never feel right to me. It makes him seem like a robot. An All-American farmboy who has no hunger at all. Weird.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CapnAndy posted:

Think about it like this. Y'know how even though you're not really hungry and it's not like it's actually going to do anything to make you less hungry later, you'll still eat a snack? Eating the snack is its own reward. Superman is like that, but for everything.

I get that food tastes good and that people get bungry but the sensations of being actually hungry and sating that hunger are basic human experiences that he doesn't have (anymore? I don't know his childhood). That seems more alien than shooting smaller versions of himself out of his fingers.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rhyno posted:

There was a brief run before Disassembled where Thor became king of Asgard and his son showed up.

And he had red hair! The way Thor "should" have.

I liked that whole Jurgens era of Thor. I knew the future storyline had to be overturned at some point obviously but it was great while it lasted.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I liked Jurgens Thor on the whole (I enjoyed a lot of the JRJR artwork, particularly in the story arc where he fights Thanos and Mangog) but the Jake Olson stuff is a real mess.

I don't remember a whole lot of specifics but I do remember the other identity stuff was a bit of a shitshow, yeah. Especially since it was the first time I ever read a Thor ongoing and so I was looking for just pure Thor heroics and the subplot about his paramedic side felt like a distraction at best.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't necessarily mind Thor's identities now, but at the time I had only known Thor for his appearances in other comics and didn't know much about them other than some of the early Blake stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I did like that the Marvel logo in front of Logan was fully made up of Wolverine panels. Even from the first Marvel page-flipping intro I wanted them to be tailoured to each movie's characters but I was disappointed for so long.