Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Unmature posted:

They do that every once in a while, usually the non-Marvel Studios film. I think one of the Hulk movies even turns it green with the panels maybe.

Yeah I was trying to think of the others. I kind of get the original idea behind making it the same early on to establish it but the effect is memorable enough they could have been making it hero-specific the whole time. I'm hoping Homecoming has a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rhyno posted:

:punch:

I think you mean :judochop:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

*glub glub*
Guys, why are we trying to sit around a table underwater? It'd be just as comfortable just floating in a circle. More so, probably!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

*hand rises up out of the water holding Excalibur*

Hey uh, "Lady"? I'm in here with you. And you should put on some clothes maybe. I can see everything.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

10 Beers posted:

The best joke in the second one is when they're talking to the guy with the glass eye for their contract : "Thanks. We'll take this home and go over it with a fine-toothed comb. Cross the Ts and dot the" *looks at guy with glass eye* "...lower-case Js."

Not to mention the

*whole office stops and looks over with a "oh man don't say it...!" look*

Edit: Eh, beaten. So then instead I'll say isn't it weird that Kevin Pollack is in two movies with Dana Carvey of all people? He's the glass eye guy in Wayne's World 2 and then is the lawyer friend of Carvey's PI character in Clean Slate.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rhyno posted:

What's weird is that you watched Clean Slate.

If you think that's bad

I OWN IT

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If you want every last issue I don't think there's an option other than downloading Torrents of scanned versions, which is both a no-no and illegal depending on where you are. Otherwise, all the trade collections combined (for Justice League or Avengers) will get you most of the memorable/important/"big" stories but not every issue. Marvels "Essentials" line collects every issue but those are B&W and are decades behind. DC has their "Showcase" line which is the same thing but I think those tend to be more out of print than the Marvel Essentials.

Marvel Unlimited is another option but that generally has gaps for the longer-running series' and obviously those are digital and you will only own the issues if you buy them one at a time. Otherwise it's just a subscription to view them.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Spider-Man in the 90s was pretty annoying and could have benefited from a Superman Triangle system or the Brand New Day structure. Some months, when the stars were aligned, there were six Spider-Man ongoing issues and they each had their own stories... except for when they were all the same story, and then they'd go back to being their own stories...

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Did anyone ever take Black Knight aside and suggest maybe he should keep the blade on him but use a different weapon?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Insulting a woman by calling them a female of some other species probably goes back to the beginning of human speech.

Specifically in comics they weren't allowed to print the word bitch for most of their history so cow's an acceptable stand-in.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't follow X-comics at all so I have no idea what "inverted" Sabretooth means here. I can't decide if it means he's always upside down or he's depicted looking like Mr. Negative.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

When mind control is a thing that exists you don't get to single out one dude for planetary exile.

"Ah, Hulk's gone. We can rest easy. Hey, check out CNN. Looks like Giant Man did a belly flop on top of the Staten Island ferry. We better help him through this tough time."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

KaosMachina posted:

Have Magneto and The Punisher ever actually met, and did they just fight or did they team up against some anti-mutant hate group?

Would The Punisher respect Magneto as someone who has seen as much horrible poo poo as he has and sees the world in a somewhat similar way or just another criminal to be gunned down- the worst kind, too, who thinks he's right and justified?

Would Magneto see Frank as someone else who went through some terrible trauma that showed him the world isn't what it's cracked up to be and only makes sense if you force it to, or just see another psychotic, overly violent human?

If Magneto hurts Innocents then I think Punisher's stance is clear. Not sure what Mags would think of Frank, but is Magneto known for ever respecting or allying with non-mutants?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Unmature posted:

You know they wouldn't have to do that if people didn't block the ads right?

People block the ads so websites allow obtrusive and annoying ads that bother the people who don't block the ads...?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I've got love for you if you were permed in the 80s.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Don't Batman's villains routinely gently caress him up? And win, at least temporarily? I assume modem Batman comics last beyond a first page where the narration states Batman anticipated his enemy's moves and put a stop to all plans and show's over, folks.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

prefect posted:

Attempted? I thought he didn't fail at things.

Batman being able/unable to kill himself feels like that ol' "can God create a rock so heavy even He can't lift it?" question.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I still hear Ed Asner for JJJ. Simmons is amazing as the campier JJJ but as the serious newsman with a voice of gravel, casting Lou Grant himself is like the voice equivalent of Patrick Stewart for Xavier.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Also how they call the end of the first Avengers movie "the incident" as if everyone needs to be real coy about an alien invasion.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There was a Romita era story with Gwen when Spider-Man was about to hang up his tights for good thinking his powers were going away but it was just the flu.

And then a Romita Jr. era story in the 90s where he was suffering from recurring vertigo and could barely swing and would get trapped on the sides of buildings.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Of course Night Thrasher is cool. Either he's thrashing during the night, which is super rad, or he's thrashing the night itself, which is wicked sick. Or both! Which is bitchin'!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Edge & Christian posted:

Image in 2003 (when Walking Dead started) and Image in 2017 (or 1993) are different companies and have different standards/processes I'm guessing.

An understatement for sure, considering Kirkman is now its Chief Operating Officer and a partner in the company.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TwoPair posted:

Theoretically anybody whose fighting style boils down to "beats the poo poo out of guys with a mace" is always cool and/or badass. Too bad it just never works in execution.

Also someone who assaults people with mace is usually a cop.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Probably a typo on Autism Sneaks' part. That Earth is Earth-212, which is an NYC area code. The area code to have, if that one episode of Seinfeld is to be believed.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 9, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wow you're right, I didn't even read his post. Just assumed he was repeating the stuff about the Statue of Libertys everywhere.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ben and May looked so decrepit right from the very beginning that you wonder how old Ben would have been when Peter was born and how much older Ben was than Richard to be decrepit by the time Peter was in his mid-teens. They look like grandparents.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

There are large age gaps between siblings. I was in college before my sister was born.

Of course it's not unfamothable but it's not only the difference in ages between the two brothers. It just makes me wonder because the ages (as far as I know) were never strictly told to us. Like if we assume super cool secret agent Richard Parker became a father at 30 and Ben was 20 years older than him, then by the time Amazing Fantasy #15 comes out he's in his mid-60s. Ben looks old for his age there though not terrible I suppose. But May looks bad for being in her 60s. Maybe in addition she's older than Ben?

Again, there's nothing definitive and there's nothing impossible about any of it, but just Things That Make You Go "Hmmm..."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Halloween Jack posted:

I think that when I was a child I just assumed Ben and May were his great-aunt and great-uncle. I have five great-uncles and I never addressed any of them as "Great-Uncle Joe."

Same with me and my great-aunt. My parents and aunts/uncles called her aunt (which she was, to them) but that's what me and my cousins called her as well.

IIRC Stan Lee said something like Ben and May were devised as Peter's grandparents but he thought it was too harsh to have Grandpa Ben die. Pretty lovely that he (or we) would think the man who raised a child is somehow worth less if he's not actually the father.

Then again, Stan Lee's stories about how characters were created are to be taken with a grain of salt.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

I don't get how those statements follow.

Uhhhh right, I screwed that up. Obviously by definition a grandfather is also not the father...

I meant it's bad that it's supposedly easier to deal with Ben dying depending on what relation he is to Peter because as the man who raised Peter it really shouldn't matter.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CapnAndy posted:

It's not a coincidence that Aunt May gets younger in every adaptation.

Yeah, and Captain Deathbed seems a lot less compelling than Single Working Mom ever since Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man. Can't say I disagree, though there are times when the sweet old lady thing works especially when she's out in the world doing her own thing instead of just being a secret identity Sword of Damocles hanging over Spider-Man's head.

Edit: Wow, I meant to type Constant Deathbed but I'll just leave it as Captain because that's way better.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

bessantj posted:

What are people's thoughts on Armor Wars and Evolutionary War?

Armor Wars is good but if you have access to the issues, start earlier in the run because Iron Man had a good creative team back then. Wikipedia doesn't agree with me qualitiatively, but it also gives you a heads-up about seeing how the story really begins:

"Wikipedia posted:

The storyline ran through Iron Man (Vol. 1) #225 (December 1987) to #231 (June 1988), plotted by David Michelinie and Bob Layton with art by Mark Bright, though much of the groundwork for the story itself occurred during Iron Man #219-224.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Zolomon is just spelled that way so you can take out the middle letters to get Zoom.

He also could have been Zoom'n.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

LadyPictureShow posted:

:same: I'll forever be surprised they made Pied Piper gay, and not Rainbow Raider considering it was the 80s.

I'm just sad I don't have a name that leads to an easy choice for my super villain alter-ego. Unless I just go as 'the Polack' and commit crimes based on Polack jokes...

'She's getting away in her submarine with a screen door!'
'I uh... I'm pretty sure we don't need to go after her.'

Could call yourself The Pole. You commit crimes at strip clubs, firehouses, barbershops, etc.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Late to this discussion, but I'm sure he's WAAAANTED, DEAD OR ALIVE.

Zees joke... c'est très Bon.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vincent posted:

Also, what is the canonical way to use hats in outer space? Outside the fishbowl like the gentleman here or inside the helmet like ol' Dum Dum? Dealers choice???

If the hat is part of your iconic look you need a helmet large enough to include it, especially if you're going to be seeing action.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lightning Lord posted:

His defining character trait is that he's a bad tempered loner who thinks he's better than everyone else.

He acts the whole world revolves around him!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alhazred posted:

It feels wrong because seeing a man being ripped a part is way more traumatic for a kid than hearing a naughty word.

It's not what's good for the kid it's what feels good for the parent.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Doom Mathematic posted:

You know there are plenty of characters with scintillatingly on-the-nose birth names considering the powers they end up with e.g. Otto Octavius ends up with eight limbs... are there any examples of characters with very prescient names who end up with completely unrelated powers or no powers at all?

Peter Parker is not a valet and is in fact a pretty lovely driver.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Also the Storm siblings fly through a cosmic storm that gives them their powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

bessantj posted:

I've been reading the books on Marvel Unlimited really haphazardly so I've decided to try and read different 'main' titles in tandem using publication dates so if something happens in one book that affects others I'll be all caught up. The titles I've decided on are:

Fantastic Four
Incredible Hulk
Amazing Spider-Man
Uncanny X-Men
Avengers
Thor (Starting with Journey Into Mystery)
Captain America
Iron Man (Starting with Tales of Suspense)

That should cover most things, I don't think need to read every title ever produced, I'm not bothered about reading Deadpool until I've read all these for example. The question I have is how screwed am I when I get into the 80s and 90s? I'm thinking that by the 80s I will need to add the New Mutants and X-Factor titles in there and then in the 90s there will probably be others.

How many comics a day are you reading? Because if you have eight titles times twelve months times a decade you might not have to worry about the 80s for a while...