Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Granny Goodness was voiced by motherfucking Ed Asner on Superman: TAS and Justice League. How is that anything but the coolest poo poo ever?

Also you've got to include Mr. Miracle and Barda in that and they're both loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Madkal posted:

Curious how many people here don't read Batman with Kevin Conroy's voice in their head.

I do this with him and also Hamill's Joker, and if they sound wrong that's how I know the characters are being written badly.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The seeds of that arc go all the way back to the beginning of Batwoman, with her investigating the La Llorona and the missing kids. It's all worth reading even before Wonder Woman shows up.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Teenage Fansub posted:

September's here! September's here!

Typical, Scooby Doo Team Up is left out of all the big events. gently caress, is Scrappy Doo even canon anymore?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Goon posted:

A new Superman costume? Oh god, please do bring back the red underpants!

I translated your post for those of us who arent living in Bizarro world

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yvonmukluk posted:

I remember a great story where the Joker took over a TV quiz show and unleashed several 'pranks' on the hapless contestants who were tasked with asking impossible questions...that were all entirely nonlethal. The whole story was just waiting for him to finally whack somebody. The endgame? Revealing he'd put cameras in the recording booth where the producer had actively stalled people calling the police, because it was ratings gold and if Joker killed anyone the studio wouldn't be liable. Batman hauled Joker off to Arkham of course, but he didn't kill (or even set out to kill) anybody in that story.

Reminds me of Christmas with the Joker on BTAS, where he kidnapped Gordon and the other cops, nearly derailed a train, and his end game was hitting Batman in the face with a pie.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SirDan3k posted:

That's like the opposite reason he's not killed because middle aged manchildren fanboys think injecting death into comics will elevate comics to serious media. See also the "Rape is a serious crime so if we have rape they have to take us seriously" wave after identity crisis.

Readers do think that death and rape will elevate their funnybooks to Serious Mature Stories but they also hate and fear change. It would be a change for the Joker to die, it would be an unthinkable change if Batman were the one to kill him. So they want death but just nameless, background collateral death, occasionally a B-list ally bites it and every 20 or 30 years the main hero is allowed to die and come back in a big crossover event.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm curious if DT likes Batman or if he just reads it for Jason Todd, cause minus the government connection that complaint could easily apply to Bruce as well. That's always been a huge appeal of Waller to me is that a fat single mother from the ghetto could rise to the level of power and stand the to toe with Batman without flinching, all through sheer force of will. She's the American dream in a lot of ways.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Maybe jason todd will die (again)

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: I think they've been pretty decent on new hires this year. Catwoman and Supergirl have new-blood female writers doing great. Cloonan for Gotham Academy, Tom King on Grayson. That author guy isn't bad at E2:World's End either. I'm optimistic about whatever the new slate might be post-Convergeance.

They will start micro-managing and drive off most of that new talent very shortly, if the last few years are any indication.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

IMO the 'Star Sapphires' need to be done away with entirely. For the longest time I thought it was just one person named that(thanks to the JLU cartoon I guess) which was fine, but if they're an entire segment of the Lantern spectrum, they're awful at that. They need to have members who are not half naked chicks and they should be called Violet Lanterns. Alternately give every other color on the spectrum a unique name? Star Sapphires would still be a dumb name since anybody who doesn't already know what they are would assume they're the blue guys.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

DC being unable to give up even a single Robin to the New52 still drives me crazy. Especially considering they erased two Batgirls out of existence at the same time.

I'd probably be satisfied if they just retconned Jason out. Jason never happened. Dick became Nightwing and then Tim was Robin. As much as I liked Zero Year though I'd like to see some newer creative teams take on Dick's first years as Robin.

Wish they'd either left it alone or had the balls to do a full reboot.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I don't read Green Lantern but at least youve got magic space elves who can hand out a ring to whoever, there's nothing stopping them from having a new lantern every day.

That said narratively Id agree that sounds like some more of that good ol Nu52 Time (tm)

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

lotus circle posted:

I don't agree with retconning Jason out, because he does provide something unique to the Batfamily, but I do agree with the idea of a hard reboot. New 52 is basically DC wanting their cake and to eat it too. They didn't want to do a complete reboot, so they half-assed it and the holes began to show as early as the first month. If they were going to reboot, they should have just started from ground zero with it.

Jason's just my least favorite Robin. They could also have rolled back a few years and undone Damian but he's still new enough that would feel kinda pointless.

Jason is unique, he provides the lovely 90s Image Comics angle that nobody else in the Batfamily really nails.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If Dick wasn't Robin for years and years him becoming Nightwing is effectively meaningless.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If I was going to recommend three TPBs of New 52 it'd be the first volume of Batwoman, Batman: Court of Owls, and the first book of Morrison's Action Comics.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

CobiWann posted:

What's "Convergence?" It's not another reboot, is it?

Convergence is them bringing back the pre-New 52 for like 2 issues and probably killing everyone forever so Dan Didio will stop getting harassed by Stephanie Brown cosplayers at conventions

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Despite the fact that Marvel has never completely rebooted their history guys like Bendis are steadfast in making sure that decades of storylines don't hamper a book. If they want to reference something the X-Men did in the 60s they will find a way to do it without calling too much attention to the fact that these characters should be in nursing homes at this point.

DC comes off as obsessed with continuity because when things aren't going well, they tend to loudly, explicitly, and publicly reboot it but so rarely actually think things through. It feels almost like someone is determined to get a perfect outcome and is resetting time itself over things that would be incredibly easy to just stop writing about for a while if you don't want them to impact your current stories.

Like if Johns and DiDio wanted the Silver Age classics back in their roles so badly they don't seem to realize you could do that without doing a continuity reset. Fuckin' Magneto has been an evil terrorist, a misunderstood anti-hero, a full blown good guy, an evil terrorist again, a much-younger version of himself, etc. and they've done this repeatedly without explicitly coming out and saying "this other stuff never happened."

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Oh man, I need that multiverse guide :allears:

Grayson was solid specially because we finally got some plot going, although I found kind of heavy handed the fact Midnighter identified Dick due his rear end.

Dick Graysons rear end is one of the last bastions of normalcy in the new 52, and I will thank you to respect it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Is the best place to find heroes really New York City? This isn't Marvel. Is NYC really that big a deal in the DCU?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jason being a villain would be infinitely better

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm really confused, is this still a video game about ripping people's spines out or what?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Its cool that you didnt find it offensive and I havent read the book so I have no opinion either way but lol if youre seriously arguing "I guess Im too socially progressive to be offended by this, maybe everyone else is just too small minded" as your backup when people call you out

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I love comic books, where perfect memories and secret identities and shape shifting Martians don't set off the bullshit meter, but too many minorities does

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Hahaha he lost like 100lbs in that last page there.

I hate how everybody in 'house style' or whatever is covered in like loving cybernetic armor plates or something no matter what their deal is. It's killin' me.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The video games are the worst offenders, it started with Arkham Asylum which was mostly alright even with Batman's fuckin robot gauntlets, and has gotten worse with every DC game since. Except I guess the Lego ones.

Its like they're preparing to hide the joints on the action figures in advance.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Consider this, though : realism sucks and is stupid.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Those dudes look like something out of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and I mean that as a compliment.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Cool, superman's got holes cut in his long-sleeve thermal. Now all he needs is some JNCOs and he's ready for 9th grade.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I used to really like JRJR back when he did Spider-Man.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

You also have to keep in mind the current trend in coloring is not one that plays to JRJR's strengths at all.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Phew for a minute I was worried they weren't going to be skeezy about starfire anymore. Good job keepin it classy DC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Thats kind of like saying compared to this pile of cow poo poo, this fart doesn't smell too bad. Starfire herself isnt even that bad, the costume is about what I'd expect but the entire point of that is everyone ogling her. Which even that wouldnt be that bad but the pre teen girl looking down her own shirt really skeeves me out. Did that really need to be there? Are you sure you're making comics for everyone DC?

• Locked thread