Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

That's in Matt Kindt's JLA.

Why would the Plastic Man origin not be understandable? Gangster named Eel gets toxic waste tipped on him and goes gooey.
It's not crazy brilliant, but you could start a Plastic Man book off that.

Anti-Monitor?

Plastic Man is a goofy character. You want to see how DC comics deals with a goofy character? Expect a high body count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
New Bat thread up.

Also we will never had a 52 again as long as there isn't the talent for it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Now that I think about it, the all-star team would be Lemire, Snyder, Pak, Parker,...Johns?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Right. Forgot about Soule. Didn't read Manapul's Flash run. From what I heard though, the art is amazing but the story is fairly meh-ish.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Waterhaul posted:

I've seen the pages for Multiversity and his Wonder Woman book but at this rate I'm not going to believe any of them exist until I'm holding it in my hands.

I will put it in the same camp as new All-Star Batman and Robin issues.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

pretend to care posted:

What's the "best" JL book right now? Did they all reboot at #1 with N52? I'm fairly lost.

Justice League 3,000 if only because Superman is brain damaged idiot.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

HitTheTargets posted:

Or Wild Dog, completely unaltered for the New 52.

Since when had DC ever done anything right?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Spoilers Below posted:

Here we go, make this fresh and relevant for the kids on the internet these days.

I did not make this, credit goes here

I don't trust NuDC not to screw up this character.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

anti_strunt posted:

Honest question: how good was his series, and why? The surface of gritty 80s urban terror gun action never seemed appealing, so what was I missing out on by never reading it?

I remember reading it in the Adventure Comics weekly way back when. It was only a few pages long each segment and I don't really recall much of it besides his costume.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

The art is gorgeous, but I was hoping for hippies :/

That is pretty freaking awesome. I heard really good things about the Didio/Giffen OMAC series, and it looks like they are continuing the trend. So yea, 7 issues or so.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Genetic Toaster posted:

DC are really trying to make "things that aren't batman or superman don't sell" a self-fulfilling prophecy, aren't they?

At least they are trying different titles, which is to be commendable.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Can we move away from the scandal-baiting stuff and rather talk about how DC is doing 2 weekly comics. I know DC's track record with weeklies are all over the place ranging from the very good (52), to the mediocre (Trinity) to the very bad (Countdown) but have these really been big money earners for DC to justify two weeklies at the same time.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah i've heard people say it's a fun book but the concept of Harley Quinn sells ridiculously well regardless of quality. Even the whole controversy with the suicide stuff didn't slow it's launch sales.

The controversy became a non-issue when the page was seen in context.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Know what doesn't sell! Comics with minority characters. Know what does sell! War comics!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Don't know what the problem is. I picked the volume 4 trade (waited long enough for it) and the villains month stuff happened after the first time we see Count Vertigo's first comic appearance. It didn't come across jarring at all, and the final issue ended with a great cliffhanger that made me look forward to the next trade that will come out in
...let's say 2 years time because gently caress DC's trade policy.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Am I the only one thinking that this is a backdoor way for DC to get that Superman movie script Warner wanted Kevin Smith to write into comics.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Wait, what are you talking about? :psyduck:

And you choose the worst books to read during the Death of the Family crossover. SS writer back then pretty much rebelled against Snyder and did his own thing (almost looked like out of spite) he was removed shortly from the title and no one has picked up his plots. Batgirl was only DRAMA about Barbara and her Joker related traumas.

As someone who has been reading Suicide Squad from the beginning I am kind of curious about what you mean by this.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Not to be an rear end but why it should matter what Morrison thinks about the Killing Joke? He didn't write it.

Because it provides an interesting theory to someone else's work regardless of whether you agree with it or not. Basically what you said dismisses all criticism and discussion about other people's work.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Waterhaul posted:

There was an interview with Zack Snyder talking about the Superman vs Batman film recently where he says how people are too focused on the Christoper Reeves version of the character and he wants to bring things away from that.

That's basically what DC seem to be doing at the moment. Erasing that version of the character from existence.

As someone who hated Superman Returns because of Singer's obsession with Reeves Superman I am actually okay with this.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I have never requested varient covers from my comic shop before. Good job DC. You just made me request varients.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

WickedHate posted:

How soon we forget "absolutely everyone has a robot spider lower half, except for Frankenstein who has Black Canary's head attached to his chest".

I personally prefer my superhero comic books featuring characters like Frankenstein to be as realistic as possible.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Senor Candle posted:

Well I'd prefer mine not to be total garbage.

Give it an issue or two. Despite everything DC touches being the "worst thing ever(tm)" I have a bit of faith in Lemire and Azzerelo.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Just a heads up, even though it was an intro issue and mostly set up Justice League United might just turn into that fun adventure book everyone wants. Certainly off to a good start. One thing though, I feel like Old-Lobo is getting pushed way to the side and DC is hoping that everyone forgets he exists.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I actually quite liked Infinite Crisis even though it was dumb as gently caress. I think once you get through all the stupidity there is actually a good story there - somewhere. Final Crisis on the other hand fell apart for me at the end. It didn't help that I was following it through the floppies and I didn't buy all the tie ins so when the final issue happened I had no idea who giant space story-vampire was, or why I should really care. The fact that the final issue also told as a flashback annoyed the gently caress out of me.
The lead-ups to IC were pretty good too, the two high points being Villains United (which spawned Secret Six) and OMAC (which spawned Checkmate).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Jiro posted:

The Day of Vengeance tie in was an excellent story done by Bill Willingham and would lead to the Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle. Shame they couldn't keep the same team with the Shadowpact follow up. Infinite Crisis wanted to be COIE sooooo hard it was laughably bad. The reasoning as to why poo poo had become so grimdark (reality punches), to the freaking just grisly violence perpetrated on D-List Teen Titans,(poor poor One Armed McGee), to killing off Superboy after all that awesome character growth, Space Goatse, GIANT PURPLE DEATH RAY, Superboy Prime, Earth-2 Lois somehow supposed to be saved by Earth-2 itself (and not cause she's you know old).

The good things that came out of Infinite Crisis were 52, SBP, and Anti-Monitor being left around to play with for the Sinestro Corps War, and of course every time I whine about Infinite Crisis the amazing thing that was Edited Crisis #4 to make it all better. Also the Villains United one shot had the best setup for the Battle of Metropolis and a terrifying Doomsday that we never got to see throw down against the B-Team of superheroes.

Like I said the actual story of IC is stupid as gently caress but somewhere deep down there, there is a good story. I could even argue that it is as meta as a Morrison comic, but without the same execution (but seeing as Morrison loves telling the same story over and over he has lots of practice at it). We have a bunch of old timey heroes getting pissed off because all the current heroes are dark, violent, arseholes. They want things returned to a brighter happier time like when they were the heroes going off to strange planets and fighting goofy villains who were more interested in stealing all the nickels in town than raking up the highest body count. They are disappointed in the direction current heroes take, and long for a brighter future. Tell me that isn't something Morrison wouldn't have come up with now. The execution was sadly lacking though, and instead we get one of the happier heroes becoming insane because...? And in the end, the current heroes still remain grim dark (or return to that state later on because event comics don't really change the status quo that much.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Waterhaul posted:

So Future's End had a gay character being graphically killed, "a child" being shot in the face with a gun after witnessing her parents being graphically murdered and ends on another hero "being killed".

And this is only the first issue :getin:

Glad to see they are toning it down.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm not reading Future's End (one weekly is enough for me) but the real problem with doing a weekly is that a lot of issues are going to be padding/boring set up.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yea. I love DC's trade thinking as being "If people really wanted to read the second part of the trade they bought 3 months ago, they will happily wait another year for it to come out". I got Lemire's first trade of Green Arrow in March and I am now looking forward til October to get his second trade. gently caress DC's trade policy. They are pretty oblivious that people read stuff via trades and trades sell in bloody bookshops/Amazon to people outside of a small comic reading section.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

chime_on posted:

There is about a 6.5 month lag time between the release of the first Lemire Green Arrow trade and the second. The second trade collects 7 issues. Seems like they have them spaced out pretty much evenly.

When did those 7 issues come out and could DC not have released a trade collecting those issues earlier?

edit: Answering my own question it collects issues 25-31. Issue 32 comes out next month. The trade is getting released in October. Is there any reason this trade couldn't have come out either next month or the month after?

Madkal fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 22, 2014

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

chime_on posted:

DC is inferior to Marvel in trades because they took like 3 weeks longer to get a Green Arrow trade into stores than Marvel took to get a Ms. Marvel trade in stores?

Yes. Without the sarcasm. Try catching up on a current title by reading the trades.

edit: Another example if you want. I have heard a lot of good things about Soule's Swamp Thing run. Looks like the first trade collecting his run isn't out until next month, even though he took over the title last year. How is this a good thing?

Madkal fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 23, 2014

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

chime_on posted:

Swamp Thing is actually a book that I started reading in trades, and switched to single issues when Soule's run started. It wasn't hard, I just started picking up the books and started reading them after I got the Rotworld trade. I don't know why there's such a delay on the vol. 4 trade, but it's kind of an anomaly-- a lot of the New 52 launch titles seem delayed, but there are a fair amount that have already been released.

I'm just saying that it's a little hyperbolic to act like DC droolz, Marvel rulez when it comes to collections, because they both have a lag between the monthly books and the trades. I picked up Amazing Spider-Man #1 for shits and giggles, but it looks like if I want to understand it fully, I have to catch up on Superior Spider-Man. The final trade for that isn't out for a couple of months. At that point there will have been somewhere around 5 issues of the new arc. It just happens.

I dunno, I come from an era where trades were the exception rather than the rule. Pretty much everything gets collected now, it's just a matter of does it take 3 months or 5 months or 8 months-- not a big deal to me. Marvel has a greater market share right now, plus they have marketing schedules that are timed to coincide with the huge amount of movies they have coming out constantly-- it doesn't surprise me that they have more cashflow to get a trade printed in 3 months where it might take DC 5.

I am more of a DC fanboy than a Marvel so I try not go into DC sucks Marvel doesn't too much but I just find that Marvel has it's A-game going with trades more than DC does. When I started getting into Ultimate Spiderman it was about 2 years after it started. Because of the trades I managed to catch up to the point that I could start getting single issues 2 years into the run without missing a thing. I thought this was a good thing. With DC, there are some titles I buy monthly and others I trade wait form, especially if I start hearing good things about them. To have to wait 6 or so month between issues, especially for stuff that is broken up in parts (look at all of the Batman trades for example) and you can see how this can be annoying.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Just to clarify, Batwoman becoming a Vampire is part of the 5YL month where everything wnet to poo poo thanks to Brother Eye.

Pretty much this. Just treat everything in September as an annual/special issue showing a "what if" situation.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

Here's the cover for #34, which isn't out in crazy future month.

e: Maybe Andreyko heard Albuquerque was going to do his covers and accommodated.

Wait a second. Alberquerque did the art? Clearly this means one thing. Batwoman/American Vampire crossover confirmed.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I said it before but for diversity I'd really like to have a more international talent working on the big characters or barring that, having the characters live and operate outside of the US but not on isolated islands. I dunno, have a latino character fighing crime on Mexico or Venezuela or a hero on Morroco.

It would be a titanic cast since is rare for a writer to accurately depict a foreign country though.

I haven't read it but I think initially Batwing did this by having it take place in some made up African country. Then the character became another character and it moved to Gotham. One thing I liked about Batman, Inc was that it was about giving a more international flavour to the DCU and had characters operate in their own country, not just America.
As for minority characters I was glad Johns introduced Baz as it least he was trying to diversify outside of just Black and White. I stopped reading GL a looooong time ago though, so I have no idea what has happened with Baz.
A current trend with DC however is to reintroduce old character but as a different race (ie Wally West). Well it is admirable that they are trying to diversify their line, I am kind of put off by the fact that they are reintroducing character instead of creating new ones. Sure the new Wally West is Wally West in name only, and is different from the original but I would have liked DC to actually come up with a new Flash with a new name. The best example of this is Ultimate Spiderman. Miles Morales is a new character, not a character named Peter Parker but who happens to be half-latino, half-black. It might be a small nitpick but by giving the new character a new name it opens up a lot more and also doesn't draw the need for comparisons.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Kind of curious for a comparison of minority characters pre-Nu52 vs Nu52.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

irlZaphod posted:

You know that not everyone in the US is white, right?

That's not what Hollywood taught me.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Was Taters posted:

If we can rush to be mad about Lois and Clark not being eternal soulmates, I think we can judge p much anything!

Calling it now. The (new) Robin will be the worst Robin ever.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I also grew up in another country and even though I am white I never related to the comics I read as something where I thought the characters were like me. All the characters came across as "generic American" and I never really questioned it as a kid. I read Power Man and Iron Fist and even though the characters were of different race I focussed more on their powers then the colour of the skin. The fact that they were both American made my young mind think that they were pretty much interchangable except one was great at kung-fu and another could take bullets and keep on walking.
The experience, I assume, gets different when you grow up in America and read about the characters. When there is a character who shares a background with you, you begin to identify with that character a lot more. Sidenote: sadly the only character that was South African was loving Maggot. I felt pissed off about that.
Anyway, diversifying means that otherwise overlooked minorities get someone that is like them, that is hero too. Someone they can share an experience with. That is why we need comics to appeal to people outside of white, male, and American. We are seeing the trend towards that. I just wish that it was new characters moving towards that.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Does the artist still get paid even though their work is never used?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

gogisha posted:

Agreed.

Side note, I might have asked this, but does anyone know anything about the new Teen Titans writer? From what I've heard Amazon's Attack sounds like a crappy story, but is there any hope here? I just want Bunker to be in something good.

He did a pretty solid Catwoman run after Brubacker was done.

• Locked thread