Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
All this is doing is reminding me that DC can never do another 52 again. At least as long as Didio is in charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Didio has been chasing that since he proclaimed that Countdown to Final Crisis was "52 done right"

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
There is absolutely the required talent, but not the smarts to let them do it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Soule does a lot of work for DC and Azzarello is still there for the time being. Morrison still seems to have projects in the works.

Waterhaul posted:

I would throw Manapul on it but I don't think a lot of people read Flash.
I know I didn't read that Flash run but I do wanna pick up those trades. I'm gonna read Detective Comics once those dudes start on it though. I hope they get more exposure there.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Indie Rocktopus posted:

Does Moz have anything coming up? DC or otherwise? Given the way Batman Inc. ended, it seemed like he's just as fed up with DC corporate work as he was with Marvel. (I wasn't in love with Happy, but the man's earned enough good will I'll give anything he writes a shot.)

You should listen to his second appearance on Fatman on Batman, Kevin Smith's Batman podcast. He talks a lot about his upcoming Wonder Woman project and mentions Multiversity. Also I don't generally like Kevin Smith but the podcast is pretty good.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
They are assuming she is based off that person because she is wearing blue?
EDIT: Oh, it's because Lemire said she was.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I imagine it's going to be Justice League United once Lemire starts that.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

Dan Didio and Kieth Giffen are about to revive an "old cult favorite."
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/03/03/a-new-cult-favourite-comic-from-dan-didio-and-keith-giffen/

Hey. OMAC was pretty fun. This'll be cancelled in eight issues anyhow.
Hopefully it's not the inevitable New Gods attempt.

If they let Dan Didio write New Gods I would literally burn DC to the ground.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Die Laughing posted:

I bet Forever People is the new Didio book.

Senor Candle posted:

If they let Dan Didio write New Gods I would literally burn DC to the ground.

NooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Awesome can't wait for that to last 7 issues and get cancelled.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Because I posted it on my thread, obviously :v:

I don't see why people are getting so upset over it, as far as things go that's a pretty harmless cover, Kory doesn't have glaring anatomic problems, her suit isn't that much different to the one on the previous DCU.

Then again, I wouldn't past DC to be banking on another scandal to secure sales :sigh:

You're better than this DT.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I gotta say the Travel Foreman art in Animal Man today is total garbage. I don't know if it's the coloring or what but it is terrible. It's a real shame because I loved his work on the earlier parts of the book. Jeff Lemire's stuff looks amazing as always though.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Guys this is going to be Age of Ultron "Done Right"©

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Chaltab posted:

Wally West WAS the Flash when Geoff Johns was growing up. The Barry Allen push is a DiDio thing.

Johns even has a fantastic run on the Flash using Wally!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

coconono posted:

I'm reading the first trade of Earth-2 and its pretty good. Feels a lot more fleshed out than a lot of the new52 stuff.

Yeah Earth 2 has been solid for it's entire run so far. I was kind of scared when Robinson left but Taylor has been killing it ever since. It's one of the best books DC is putting out right now.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Is really feasible for DC to maintain three weekly series in addition to their monthly line up? Heck, is even a good idea to have three weekly series running at the same time?

No

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I thought all these weekly series were going to be a few months. I can't believe they are going to be running 3 weekly series at once. That is insane.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Dan Didio is obsessed with making a weekly book that gets more praise and positive critical review than "52" did. He hated that book so much, hated half the guys working on it and when they did Countdown he made the "52 done right" comment numerous times. These weeklies are probably a result of him reading a review of DC's last three weekly projects and pretty much everyone poo poo on Countdown and Trinity, both his babies.

Even in the trades of 52 he is saying that he didn't like how they were doing the book. It's incredible.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I know! How the hell do you get away with being that much of a dick and not lose half of your best talent? I mean, that was what lead Waid and Rucka to bailing out. Didio is personally responsible for losing both of them an JG Jones from their talent pool.

I'm pretty sure they did!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Azzarello, Johns, Giffen, all still there. And they've got quite a stable of good creators these days, Soule, Pak, Snyder, Lemire.

I'm talking out of my rear end here but I always associated those guys with coming on after that stuff. Johns isn't putting out the same kind of great stuff that he used to and I'm honestly surprised that Azzarello is still there. I like some of Lemire's DC stuff but his creator owned work is so much better it's not even comparable. Like the fact that the guy who wrote and drew Essex County was involved with Rotworld is mind boggling.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

If you can believe Bleedingcool rumoring, they almost had Rucka back to work on Futures End.

If he hadn't come back to Marvel to do Cyclops I never would have believed that but who knows!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

But Booster pre/sans Ted is just the worst. I don't want to read another series of Boosters get rich/famous quick schemes. I want my time cop back, but that can't happen since it kind of all played off of his development which doesn't exist anymore.

I just want my old Blue and Gold back. Or at least make the Question not lovely.

I'm finally getting my girlfriend to read 52 and she's just about to start Vol 3. She's been badmouthing Booster and gushing over Supernova and I just can't wait. :allears:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

StumblyWumbly posted:

I think DC (Didio) promised Rucka Wonder Woman and then gave her to JMS, so Rucka called them out on it pretty publicly. With Marvel I think he just talked about how it sucks to not own the property you're writing for because they wiped out his development with Punisher.

What exclusive DC writers started independent books? Fraction and Hickman have each started a ton while at Marvel.

Well if you want to count Vertigo as "independent" then Snyder and Lemire have both put out titles there. They had been doing that since before they had done major DC stuff though.

Was Taters posted:

Has she seen Wicker Sue yet?
Yeah she's been really bummed out with Ralph's story so far. Basically she doesn't like seeing him spiral. Her reading it again is reminding me how much I love that series.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

I refuse to believe that all it took to get Rucka back working for one of the big two was 'you can write a story about Corsair'.

Maybe they promised they wouldn't just retcon it out of existence after forcing him to end it. Which they'll still do anyways.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Awesome a whole month where I don't have to buy a single DC comic.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Ok so that Booster Gold book sounds super interesting. MAYBE.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
The solicitation for Booster Gold makes it sound like he's gonna team up with everyone's who got shafted by the New 52

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah Justice League United was good. nu52 Animal Man is also by Lemire and really good for the first arc (probably the best horror book DC has done on purpose in a while) before getting dragged into a really long boring crossover event with Swamp Thing.

I'll stick with United until it eventual gets dragged into a crossover or gets a bad artist change but c listers being flippant and fighting aliens is enough to keep me around.

Even if you didn't like Rotworld Animal man is still worth reading past that point(you can probably just skip Rotworld). The last issue had really disappointing Foreman art but amazing Lemire pages.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I was kind of annoyed by the whole ROMITA IS COMING ads in DC books this week. Like Romita is a fine artist and all but I don't think I'd compare him to Kirby or anything. Have they used that ad for anyone else?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Has DC ever had Allred as the primary artist on a book? I know he did a Solo issue and Madman/Superman, but is there anything else?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

redbackground posted:

Just iZombie, which was a Vertigo title.

How have they not!? I guess that would require them to have something that could be considered a "fun" book and that just isn't allowed.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
To reward everyone who has been waiting for Forever Evil #7, DC is raising the price on the book by $1
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/04/24/forever-evil-7-jumps-from-3-99-to-4-99/

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

lotus circle posted:

They really want people to forget that Forever Evil happened, don't they. I don't blame them. Here's hoping Future's End won't be as big a trainwreck.

If they can't even put 7 monthly issues out in a row of their big summer event, what makes them think they'll be able to do 2-3 weekly series at once?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Madkal posted:

I personally prefer my superhero comic books featuring characters like Frankenstein to be as realistic as possible.

Well I'd prefer mine not to be total garbage.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Madkal posted:

Give it an issue or two. Despite everything DC touches being the "worst thing ever(tm)" I have a bit of faith in Lemire and Azzerelo.

Yeah so did I until I saw a bunch of pages from the actual issue.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

so I think is a safe bet to think Septmeber month will only be Elseworld's month
poo poo I would actually be all the way on board for that.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

d00gZ posted:

I should reread 52 at some point, though. I almost wish I hadn't sold my copies along with the rest of my collection now. That year was just too much drat fun.

YES. It is still so good.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

KomradeX posted:

Didn't DiDio say that New 52 is 52 done right? Or do I have my comic events mixed up?

You're thinking of Countdown to Final Crisis.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Jiro posted:

I will be honest and say that I was not at all thrilled to hear about Earth 2 being made into a younger cast. But from first issue onward they haven't been afraid to twist things around and have really horrible poo poo happen to people but always keeping the context of heroism and generally being more fantastical about the possibilities it can go. Its a super solid book even with Robinson gone, wish he hasn't left though. One of the best distinctions in my opinion was giving the opportunity of Bruce and Clark to grow up together AND not murder off the Kents for no real reason.

Yeah Earth 2 has just been fantastic. My biggest problem is that they killed off Alan's husband(fiance?) like the issue after he showed up. Would have been cool to have a gay couple around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

KomradeX posted:

Okay, I thought I had that backwards. What's the general consensus on Countdown to and Final Crisis, I've normally heard good things. Except for Superboy punching reality. Of again I could be having my comic events mixed up.

I think you were thinking of the Countdown to Infinite Crisis books, which was not actually a single series but a bunch of books that were leading up to Infinite Crisis. I don't hear people ragging on those much and people seemed to like Gail Simone's Villians United. Countdown to Final Crisis was a 52 part weekly book that "led into" Final Crisis and was Dan Didio attempting to bring back the success of 52 but in something he could control.

• Locked thread