Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Indie Rocktopus posted:

Does Moz have anything coming up? DC or otherwise? Given the way Batman Inc. ended, it seemed like he's just as fed up with DC corporate work as he was with Marvel. (I wasn't in love with Happy, but the man's earned enough good will I'll give anything he writes a shot.)

Wonder Woman: Earth One. Or Wonder Woman: Trial of Diana Prince or whatever it's called.

Some of the black and white art by Yannick Paquette is out and it looks gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Madkal posted:

Justice League 3,000 if only because Superman is brain damaged idiot.

Well, intentionally a brain damaged idiot anyway.

JL3K is great, it's a shame review sites have been giving it such a bad wrap. It's a really solid satire of Johns' JL but also works as its own thing and is genuinely really funny whilst still having some fairly serious storylines.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Looking at some of the links it looks like JLU #1's cover won't have that cool flat colouring style and will unfortunately settle for something a little more house style.

as opposed to

I honestly think the original placeholder colouring looks better and more striking.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Wait they're compiling both the Kill Machine storyline and the Count Vertigo storyline into a single trade? Isn't that like 10 chapters? Why not split them up considering they're both fairly self contained stories with clean divisions?

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

She's a totally different character in the mainline comics. Earth One is like their Ultimate Universe, but only coming out in graphic novels.

I ain't readin' no Lobdell Teen Titans, so here's her current bio under the 'Post-Flashpoint' section.
http://www.comicvine.com/raven/4005-3584/

A little different.

Apparently Aquaman & The Others and frickin' Stormwatch #30 have Futures End stuff about them this week. You know you wanna get that final issue of a ruined comic!

Jesus Scott Lobdell really poo poo the bed with Teen Titans didn't he? Does that series end in a way that retcons the whole thing out of existence like JLI?

Because it'd be annoying if this team stuck around and eventually started polluting the good books as well (I think Kid Flash turned up in Manapul & Bucellato's Flash and was an irritating git in that as well so it's already starting to happen).

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Lobdell's reign of terror is finally ending and that's all that matters. The only thing I'm mad about is that apparently psychic Lois hasn't been dropped yet judging by the SM/WW solicits.

I just hope both Pak and Johns ignore it entirely since they'll be the only Superbooks I'll be following.

Also Superman 3000 is a hilarious idiot, so are all the other members of JL3K.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Wally West is basically Jason Todd but black, only his death turns Barry into Parallax...right down to the "It's ok if I kill you since my time tampering will fix that"

It's not exactly the most original storyline.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I'd say Superman is a bit more simplified now, what with the 3 or 4 different Zods, multiple Brainiacs, whatever the gently caress Supergirl was for a while and all that. Now it's just Brainiac, Zod and Kara.

Also Powergirl had a pretty drat convoluted history with the whole Atlantean but then not and then from Earth 2 except what's Earth 2 considering the JSA are on our Earth oh we need to know about CoIE and so on. Now she's just the Supergirl of Earth 2 which currently exists and isn't tied to some event from over 30 years ago that was supposed to make continuity easy to follow.

New 52's main convoluted lines are Batman and GL but the convolutedness doesn't really bleed into the good series in other lines anyway. The GL line just isn't worth reading nowadays other than Red Lanterns which is pretty self contained goofy fun and none of it gets referenced by other stuff. The Batfamily line is a bit of a mess but if you just read Scott Snyder's Batman (the good stuff anyway, by which I mean Court of Owls and Zero Year) which is one of the only books in the line worth following it's pretty straightforward and easy to follow.

But that all comes down to good writers rather than continuity. A good enough writer will make their run easy to follow and continuity isn't a huge bearing on that. I'd say the main benefit of New 52 is more an opportunity to revamp certain characters from scratch like Lemire's Green Arrow and Azz's Wondy, rather than things being easy to follow.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Azz's whole deal is that he isn't white washing Greek myth like previous runs, Zeus is a philandering bastard, Hera wasn't some wonderful, helpful goddess actually she was quite cruel in many aspects. And the Amazons weren't some super enlightened society- hell at their core they're a society that goes out of their way to exclude men.

I think it works because Azz is a good writer who can handle those themes really well, making something dark doesn't make it bad- in fact I really hate it when people just automatically hate something because it's dark and serious, as if all comics should be lighthearted silver age fun. And the story itself is about Diana coming to terms with the more unpleasant aspects of her life growing up and her newfound family and criticising and finding a new progressive way for both which works really well to her character. She's becoming a new kind of god and in recent issues she's also trying to find a new way for the Amazons.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

TwoPair posted:

If you read the article though, it's an excellent comparison on how Marvel's recent cancellations feel organic and frequently allow stories to come to an end whereas all too often with DC the cancellations come swift and fast and the characters just... go away until they reappear months later to get their arms ripped off in a crossover.

(On the note of cannon fodder, take note that among the characters showing up to get killed in Future's End, many are from canceled titles like Grifter and Amethyst.)

e: For instance, the article mentions Avengers AI (a book I liked and no one else did), which as I understand did not do very well in sales but still made it to a conclusion that wrapped up its whole story nicely. Compare that to ... oh ho hum lets just pick a random one of these canceled DC titles... Frankenstein Agent of SHADE. Now I liked Frankenstein, but I'll tell you how it ended: by getting dragged into that Animal Man/Swamp Thing Rotworld crossover. And the issues weren't that bad! But did Frankenstein's story end? Do we even find out what happened to those SHADE guys? gently caress no. Frank got dragged off to the Island of Misfit Books Justice League Dark and SHADE has showed up in a recent issue of Superman/Batman but that's about it. My point is that Marvel ends stories way more organically while leaving open doors for characters to be used in the future. When DC cancels a book it rips the story of the character out of your hands and says "IF YOU WANT TO READ KATANA READ JLA WHOOPS WE CANCELED THAT TOO".

That's a fair bit of cherry picking over one particular series that ignores OMAC, I Vampire, Sword of Sorcery and Vibe all ending pretty reasonably well or at least in the case of the latter two wrapping up the current plotlines with some degree of closure. Then you have Animal Man and Dial H which end on a really high note with sweet epilogue issues saying goodbye. And JLA wasn't so much cancelled as retooled/relaunched as JLU which has already been a lot more self contained compared to JLA which was just tie in hell from the start.

Also Katana has been showing up as a pretty cool supporting member in Green Arrow - I never read her solo series but it was written by Ann Nocenti who's been terrible lately for some reason so showing up in one of the best series can only be an upgrade for her.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

He had a slightly messed up ring during the event he debuted in that it refused to be taken off due to Hal and Sinestro's tampering as it was their old ring. But his whole reasoning for carrying a gun was that he felt the ring could run out of charge and he needed a backup if it did just in case.

Has he returned in JL or whatever for training Jessica Cruz yet? I'd assume that's where he'll show up seeing as the epilogue to Johns' run talks about Baz training a new ring bearer presumably post FE.

AFoolAndHisMoney fucked around with this message at 09:49 on May 29, 2014

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

So far I've just read the pak written issues of Doomed and they've been really good sand really stand alone. Doomed follows up on some subplots established in the previous arc so it's worth reading if you liked the first arc of paktion comics. And steel and Krypto are in it and they're great as always.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Madkal posted:

Snyder's Batman, Soule's Green Lantern.

I love Charles Soule's Red Lanterns but his best book by far for me is Swamp Thing.

He's done amazing work with the character and I really hope it sticks around for as long as possible, especially seeing as its sales are bordering on cancellation.

Also it's a drat shame to hear Lemire's finished up with Green Arrow, I loved that series especially for Sorrentino's art. I hope the two of them work together more often.

I know Kreisberg does work for Arrow but have his comics stuff been any good?

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Bleeding Cool seems to have a different story every day about what the 'Band Aid' is about.

Seems a bit much for what is probably just a bunch of fill in issues during the 2 month move that probably won't amount to much.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Anyone reading Futures End know what the gently caress is going on with that Fariday guy's storyline? Apart from what has to be Jeff Lemire's bit with Frankenstein/Hawkman/Amethyst/Atom space shipping around (which is actually fun), this issue was incomprehensible.

I'm really curious about what part Azzarello does.

edit: Finch WW #36 pencils http://www.comicvine.com/articles/first-look-wonder-woman-36/1100-149344/

Who knew his true calling was drawing Swamp Thing?

They couldn't go one issue without dragging the entire Justice League into it could they?

Oh boy I can't wait for another Superman/Wonder Woman series.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

It's not an event, it's a year long weekly series. From what I've read of it, Azz's stuff with Batman Beyond is great and Lemire's stuff with Frank and the gang is ok but Giffen and Jurgens have written rubbish. It's a shame there's no way to just buy the Batman Beyond storyline.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

SirDan3k posted:

How are they playing it? Like was Zauriel always a lady or did Zauriel turn into a lady because they want to go to the Phantom Bonezone?

Zauriel was a man who followed Phantom Stranger around from a distance and eventually fell in love with him. He gets injured pretty badly in the Blight event and dies in the aftermath whereupon PS finds out about this. Then the Stranger goes off challenging God and the like to bring him back to life and he is reborn as a woman. It's written off as "A new form for my new birth" but at the same time the story doesn't necessarily have Stranger reciprocate those feelings and it just ends with Zauriel, Stranger and 13 going off on new adventures. So it's one of those weird things where Zauriel is now a woman but it's not like they'll do a story involving the two falling in love or anything given that Stranger is going to be chilling with Pandora and Question soon.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

So, anyone read the end of Lemire's Green Arrow? ANY OTHER BOOK!!

I'm really sad to see it end as it was easily one of my favourite DC books behind only Swamp Thing and Wonder Woman. I thought it was a little rushed and slightly anticlimactic in the end but it was a solid story with some cool rogues that I'd love to see Ollie tangle with more often- plus Emiko is the best sidekick and basically does Damian's shtick way better quite frankly. I hope the Future's End issue serves as a nice coda to the character.

I just hope the Arrow writers don't poo poo the bed considering their usual track record with comics. I like Arrow but it still has plenty of issues and even at its peak wasn't nearly as well written as Lemire's run. Also Daniel Sampere will be a poor replacement to Sorrentino's amazing art.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Jiro posted:

You could have probably said that like four years ago, now its more like a third or a fourth.

Also holy poo poo Multiversity looks to be super awesome, like the super weird parts of Morrison's Animal Man awesome.

Other than Justice League what has he done New 52-wise that have been terrible? Shazam and Aquaman were great and Superman has been pretty good so far.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

His Shazam is terrible unless you enjoy reading an old man writing about kids these days and his Aquaman read like a fanboy's desperate rantings but without the Hal Jordan fanbase backing them up.

That comment couldn't be more outdated, you've only read the first issue of Aquaman haven't you? His run is nothing like that after the first 3 issues or so.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Swamp Thing's Future's End was absolutely fantastic and could easily be an end to Soule's run, I'm really looking forward to Soule filling in the gaps up to that point but I'm sad he'll be dropping Red Lanterns as well as he goes Marvel exclusive. I was really hoping he could take over Constantine and fix it up given how great the Whiskey Tree arc in Swamp Thing was.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

SWAMP THING #37
Written by CHARLES SOULE
Art and cover by JESUS SAIZ
On sale DECEMBER 3 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+
“The Machine Queen” part 3! Lines are drawn and strange allies are recruited as the Machine Queen assembles her army, while Anton Arcane and the Fungal Avatar take sides! Plus, Swamp Thing receives a dire visit from John Constantine!

Oh god yes Soule is writing Constantine again!

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I think Soule missed the point by making Wonder Woman a goddess of peace and acting like being the god of war was antithetical to the character when the whole appeal of God of War Wonder Woman is that whole duality of War aspect that makes it a really interesting concept.

Charles Soule is a really good writer but I don't think he's a good fit for Wonder Woman at all, she just comes across really stilted under him in a way she never does in Azzarello's run.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Doomed got a really dissapointing ending that reeks of rewrites since it lacked a clear resolution and omitted things mentioned on interviews before like Starfire involvement.

Doomed's ending was great and not having any Starfire in it is a good thing. The solicits sounded like a clusterfuck what with Starfire, Red Lanterns and Swamp Thing of all people showing up but having the ending focus on the characters that have been in the story throughout was the right choice.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

However the conflict was solved by a pretty literal deus ex machina and was railroaded into showcasing/teasing the next big event rather than give closure to the story.

Not really? The conflict was solved by a whole bunch of stuff that had been set up over the course of the storyline, Mongul's Warworld, RoboLois and Brainiac failing to notice that Diana was just as important in Clark's life as Bruce are all pretty important elements that have had build up throughout the story.

The ending is also hardly railroading, it could easily end 2 pages earlier and feel just as strong what with Superman bringing down Brainiac while claiming he'd rather save the world than save himself , the last 2 pages are just an extra tease. And in terms of closure there are actual aftermath issues to actually go into that detail.

quote:

The solicit seemed way more interesting considering that Soule: is the one writing Swamp Thing and Red Lanterns on their monthly titles, has showed a strong grasp on their characters and he's managed to turn shaky premises into interesting stories.

The Red Lanterns show up out of nowhere during Soule's SM/WW and feel completely unnecessary and Swamp Thing would have had no build up whatsoever.

Plus, Soule is a fantastic writer but SM/WW is pretty rubbish and I doubt he'd be able to make it work just by shoehorning in Guy and Alec. Doomed worked for me mainly because of the Pak issues.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

So Green Arrow had a pretty big drop in quality.

Even ignoring that Sampere's art is incredibly boring compared to Sorrentino's great work on Green Arrow, Kreisberg begins his run by basically writing out all the cool new characters Lemire had worked into Ollie's supporting cast other than Diggle just so he can bring in Felicity Smoak. It reeks of trying to force the show's dynamic in a really unnatural way.

I mean, Emiko was one of the best things about Broken and kicking her out of the team almost immediately is such a waste of potential.

Overall the issue was pretty mediocre and I don't think it's worth sticking with the series now that both Lemire and Sorrentino are gone.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Also that means Steroid batman is so dead.

Good, Earth 2 has been kinda crappy ever since red Batman, NuSuperman and RoboLois took most of the focus away from Alan, Jay and Kendra who are far more interesting characters.

Othe than narrating the recap Alan did absolutely nothing in World's End 1 and Jay and Kendra just bantered for a page or two before all the newguys stole the spotlight.

In general under Tom Taylor the series got incredibly slow, lost most of the focus of the world building and just dragged out a really dull evil Superman storyline for way too long while introducing characters to an already huge cast that were just variations on characters from Earth 0 instead of actual Golden Age/JSA heroes. Not to mention dropping all the subplots Robinson set up, I doubt we'll ever find out what happened to Captain Steel and the Red Lanterns or Kendra and Alan looking into Sam's murder- even if World's end has just written it off in one panel as "lol Terry did it no need to look further". And Dr Fate has just been reduced to a one note gibberish spouting joke.

It's lost a lot of the care in the worldbuilding and planning that the previous run had and clearly has no interest in the Golden Age which makes me wonder what these people are even writing because it's got a lot more in common with post Ultimatum Ultimate Marvel or Injustice with its obsession with just writing bad ends or evil/messed up versions of Earth 0.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The Swamp Thing annual was awesome by the way.

It really was, I didn't expect the ending to be so emotional, I'm going to miss this series a lot when Soule is done.

Wonder Woman's finale was awesome of course, I love that Azz couldn't resist ending it on a pun.

AFoolAndHisMoney fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Oct 30, 2014

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

Once again Swamp Thing was awesome. It is one of the best titles DC publishes, and after rereading the whole thing it has been since the beginning. Sue me I enjoyed Rotworld.

Lady Weeds has been such a great character, Alec is seriously hosed next issue.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Good thing the whole concept is barely referenced in the actually good superman books like Paktion comics and Johns' Superman. Even Superman Unchained which wasnt very good didn't reference the couple in favour of more superman and lois adventures. You'd basically have to actively look for the superman/Wonder Woman book or anything referencing the couple to be reading about it.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Is it a rite of passage for Justice Leaguers to beat the crap out of Swamp Thing?

Leave the poor guy alone :(

AFoolAndHisMoney fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Nov 18, 2014

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I just want to make sure people know that green arrow is absolutely terrible now and by "it truly feels like having the people from the show translated to the DCU" what that really means is that the new team threw out everything Lemire did, which was far better written than Arrow at its best, in favour of a really bland and forcibly shoehorned retread of the show. also the art is poo poo, especially compared to Sorrentino's art.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I wish venditti would leave the main GL book too. And the Flash too while he's at it. Flash more than anything, boy that book really dropped in quality after Manapul and Buccellato left.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I'm glad Swamp Thing is ending.

Soule's run has been absolutely amazing and I'd rather see him give the series a big finale to tie up all the loose ends before he leaves rather than let a potentially terrible creative team step in and ruin it all. Also that cover looks so good, I hope they give Jesus Saiz more work after this.

Madkal posted:

Were the GL books not selling? I can see Red Lanterns getting cancelled but am surprised with Corp getting the axe.

Eh, they've all ran long enough and other than Red Lanterns which did its own stand alone fun series for a bit they have basically been filler tie in books for the main title and only serve to bloat the storylines.

Ending all of them has really been a long time coming honestly and at the very least it should mean no more crossover events.

Hopefully Post-Convergeance they also get a new team for GL.

I'm more annoyed at some of the stuff they're not cancelling. Like Earth 2, how much longer can Earth 2 keep getting blown up before there's nothing left to destroy?

Or Rhato, who is seriously reading this other than D_T?

AFoolAndHisMoney fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 16, 2014

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Ignore D_T the only good New 52 story with Constantine in it is the Whiskey Tree arc in Charles Soule's Swamp Thing. Constantine shows up again later in Soule's run but it's a very minor role.

But the Whiskey Tree storyline is amazing and it nails John's character.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

quote:

Nrama: You mention five or six issues. Can you confirm whether you're on the book after Convergence? And if so, can you give us any indication what we'll see later in 2015?

Sokolowski: I can neither confirm nor deny anything. But what I can tell you is that it's going to be fantastic, and people should keep their eyes on this character in the future. Oliver Queen is going to keep growing and people are going to keep loving him.

I hope this means Kreisberg and Sokolowski are off Green Arrow after Convergence. Anyone would be better than the generic Arrow tie-in garbage they were writing. And hopefully we can get back to the supporting cast Lemire created.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

I like most of the characters they've built pretty well, so no complete do over, thanks, but they're gonna have to give them a new environment, unless Apokolips gets abandoned and can replace a moon. I'm expecting they'll jump over to main U.
April solicits should be fun :)

e: Or May since it's two months.

Unless they're willing to reset back to the Tower of Fate storyline/bring Robinson back they might as well just burn Earth 2 to the ground and use convergence as an excuse to bring back some classic version of the Earth 2 JSA instead.

There's way too much stupid poo poo going on to fix with just a simple creative shift.

Hopefully Abnett's JSA mini is good though.

VV Batdad and Val are eh but TechnoJimmy is the worst. And I'd rather Paktion comics wasn't invaded by that poo poo.

AFoolAndHisMoney fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 15, 2015

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Jiro posted:

TechnoJimmy is alright, I wish there was more time spent on the original premise of how magic was more the driving force in that universe than science and the eventual integration of Mr. Terrific with the rest of the team and him doing badass poo poo. And more Dr. Fate adventures. I do like the implication that Dick Grayson had the chance to have a normal family with Barbara and now Wildcat is training him. But this poo poo about that world ending is getting old needs to just loving happen already it's getting DBZ Frieza Saga levels of drawn out. "You have FIVE MINUTES before the planet explodes!" Also how did that world's equivalent of Atom Smasher die? He just biggend himself so big he.......disappeared?

He's just The Atom, Atom Smasher was Golden Age Atom's successor. And his death was some incredibly stupid thing about growing really big underground to create a hideout but die in the process.

This was after they'd already ripped his arm off.

They really should've stopped the Apokolips stuff after the Evil Superman arc, the series was more about building a new era of heroes after the Trinity died in a sort of reverse of the JSA's role in Post-Crisis. Apokolips was pretty minor in that regard, just giving them a motive to build a team against Steppenwolf and that was resolved pretty much by the end of Taylor's run so there's no excuse to just keep dragging it out with yet another invasion.

The most frustrating part is that Earth 2 began as a more optimistic series about building a new world after a great war ravaged it and instead all the new writers are seeing it as the opportunity to blow everything up.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Is red hood shooting the kids from gravity falls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Ville Valo posted:

Just got all caught up on Batgirl after not reading anything current in a long time. I'm religious about the Flash and Arrow tv series - should I just pick up the New 52 trades of those next? Or is there another book that's really a must-read? I tend to prefer anyone but the Big 3, but for particularly good stories I'd break that.

Teenage Fansub has generally recommended most of the stuff.

If you like The Flash read the first 4 New 52 trades and then drop the series cause it gets pretty terrible after that.

I don't think the second Flash annual gets included in the first 4 trades and it's not worth buying the 5th trade for it but it's a great story involving Flash and Green Lantern teaming up for shenanigans and their banter is hilarious.

• Locked thread