Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

Singer played Supes as an out of touch, creepy, distant alien. That characterization was way more troublesome than the sloppy HJ to the Donner films.

After everything that's been revealed about Singer's....habits. His super creepy Superman takes on whole new meanings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but what sort of distinction are you making? Because from the original announcement of Future's End in December:

And the solicit for the first issue:

And then by the time they formally announced the "Future's End" issues (in February) they were explicitly identified as taking place five years in the future and tying into Future's End. Like, the covers of the individual solicited September issues say "NEW 52: FUTURE'S END" on them so I'm not sure how you consider them separate things?

So wait? Forever Evil is supposed to last five years? And when it ends we will have jumped five years into the future? Why the hell can we not have stories that happen in the present, not some reconstituted "Secret Origins" type zero year, or a villains month? It almost feels like at times new 52 is an ongoing Elseworlds that doesn't end.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

coconono posted:

Please don't mess with Earth-2, DC. Its doing just fine orbiting your clusterfuck New-52.

I will be honest and say that I was not at all thrilled to hear about Earth 2 being made into a younger cast. But from first issue onward they haven't been afraid to twist things around and have really horrible poo poo happen to people but always keeping the context of heroism and generally being more fantastical about the possibilities it can go. Its a super solid book even with Robinson gone, wish he hasn't left though. One of the best distinctions in my opinion was giving the opportunity of Bruce and Clark to grow up together AND not murder off the Kents for no real reason.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Madkal posted:

I actually quite liked Infinite Crisis even though it was dumb as gently caress. I think once you get through all the stupidity there is actually a good story there - somewhere. Final Crisis on the other hand fell apart for me at the end. It didn't help that I was following it through the floppies and I didn't buy all the tie ins so when the final issue happened I had no idea who giant space story-vampire was, or why I should really care. The fact that the final issue also told as a flashback annoyed the gently caress out of me.
The lead-ups to IC were pretty good too, the two high points being Villains United (which spawned Secret Six) and OMAC (which spawned Checkmate).

The Day of Vengeance tie in was an excellent story done by Bill Willingham and would lead to the Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle. Shame they couldn't keep the same team with the Shadowpact follow up. Infinite Crisis wanted to be COIE sooooo hard it was laughably bad. The reasoning as to why poo poo had become so grimdark (reality punches), to the freaking just grisly violence perpetrated on D-List Teen Titans,(poor poor One Armed McGee), to killing off Superboy after all that awesome character growth, Space Goatse, GIANT PURPLE DEATH RAY, Superboy Prime, Earth-2 Lois somehow supposed to be saved by Earth-2 itself (and not cause she's you know old).

The good things that came out of Infinite Crisis were 52, SBP, and Anti-Monitor being left around to play with for the Sinestro Corps War, and of course every time I whine about Infinite Crisis the amazing thing that was Edited Crisis #4 to make it all better. Also the Villains United one shot had the best setup for the Battle of Metropolis and a terrifying Doomsday that we never got to see throw down against the B-Team of superheroes.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Urdnot Fire posted:

We also got a few panels of Ultraman snorting Kryptonite.

And all the David Finch art we can handle! :suicide:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

goldenoreos posted:

Man Futures End is turning out to be a dud. #2 felt like a boring read from start to finish.

An "event" title from DC that they pull once again out of their asses with no set up or prologue is a dud. I guess its a step up from just being complete poo poo.

Tomasi is pretty much the only one I'd trust to bring in a Robin since he's been writing the Batman and _________ forever now. He really gets how to write a team dynamic and gives Bruce and supporting cast the emotional room to breathe and flesh out when needed. Its been one of the most solid ongoings since Nu 52 started.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

Three of those Superman Doomed comics came out.
The one-shot is an alright SMan Vs Doomsday comic as far as those go, but Action and SM/WW were great as ever.
It hasn't been Superdoom stomping around killing everyone (Yet. Lobdell's chapter still has to come out.) Just Clark getting a slowly growing aggressive rear end in a top hat virus and his buds helping/worrying about him. He goes to calm down by hanging out with Krypto and the wolf pack he's riding with :)

It's not bad at all. (Yet, Lobdell!)

Also, check this out.

Catch-up pages! Crazy.

e:

The #0 issue?
Quality not withstanding, it set up the situation.

I guess I'm spoiled on the Marvel side of things where poo poo is leading up to it's event as opposed to the #0 issue of Future's End. Also with older DC runs.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

E the Shaggy posted:

There's no bottom floor with these people. It's like they create entirely new ways to put out the worst poo poo imaginable.

Holy hell how does that anatomy work? I can't really tell if he's supposed to be running in some direction or about to fall. And true to DC gotta keep with that segmented armor thing.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Oracle posted:

So I don't recall this being mentioned, but this article made me nod slowly and go 'yeah... I could see that.'

DC may be deciding to chuck this whole stupid new 52 thing and go back to the way things were. Coming in April 2015: Infinite Crisis 3: Maybe We'll Get it Right This Time (LOL).

Good loving God have anyone else but Johns please. I know it'll be a poo poo show but I want a different poo poo show, one that's not drawn by Tony Daniels. If they could bring Robinson back for it that would be awesome. But please no more Geoff Johns events.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

If this doesn't end in every hero turning on both Barrys, since he caused all this poo poo in the first place, I'll be sorely disappointed. I like how its supposedly being dubbed as The Band Aid.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Holy poo poo welcome back BSS and DC Thread.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So apparently even in Nu52 Earth 2, "Where there is a Superman, Pa Kent must be murdered" such is the way of things.

That being said Earth 2 continues to be DC's most consistently good/really good book, along with WW, Batman and(insert name here).

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

fatherboxx posted:

Cenobite Superman, holy poo poo :black101:

Have some of my pleasure toast!

:unsmigghh:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Rhyno posted:

As WH said, Lobdell is super popular. BSS is the minority of the internet in hating "popular" comics. Outside of this forum Greg Land is incredibly popular for example.

:psypop: I keep forgetting that BSS is a microcosm like that in the vast opinion ocean of the internet.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

Anyone reading Futures End know what the gently caress is going on with that Fariday guy's storyline? Apart from what has to be Jeff Lemire's bit with Frankenstein/Hawkman/Amethyst/Atom space shipping around (which is actually fun), this issue was incomprehensible.

I'm really curious about what part Azzarello does.

edit: Finch WW #36 pencils http://www.comicvine.com/articles/first-look-wonder-woman-36/1100-149344/

Who knew his true calling was drawing Swamp Thing?

As much as I HATE Finch's art, I will say his pencils look way better than how it looks inked and colored. That Swamp Thing sans antlers is pretty great.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Earth 2 was pretty drat great save for the NOT Superman (Bizzaro) crumbling into dust because he's allergic to ?????(He's allergic to Black Superman! :v:) Did think it was kind of a crap copout to show it wasn't really Clark doing all that heinous poo poo but I guess it has to differentiate itself from Injustice somehow.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Was Taters posted:

Nope, INFINITE Crisis still exists.

Pretty sure that was the crisis you meant.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Waterhaul posted:

99% of the image is dumb but starts off with the hilarious bit of "DC won't make Wonder Woman film, see how great Marvel are for letting Black Widow be a supporting character".

Not really man, she was pretty much his sidekick costar in that movie. Falcon and everyone else were support, it could have easily been Falcon going on broventures with Steve in the Mall and to the Army base and whatnot. They chose Widow to be his equal and have her even kinda go toe to toe against Bucky.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Senor Candle posted:

Come on now like half of his stuff is super good.

You could have probably said that like four years ago, now its more like a third or a fourth.

Also holy poo poo Multiversity looks to be super awesome, like the super weird parts of Morrison's Animal Man awesome.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Literally The Worst posted:

The idea that the Guardians are that paranoid is actually really good though.

Only it wasn't and eventually turned them all the way evil because.........emotions are for pussies. The ridiculous slow boil of the villifying of the guardians was kind of insufferable.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Anyone have any ideas what the next abbreviated "FE" event is going to be called? Freemason Entanglement, Fart Entropy, gently caress Eclipso, Failing Environment, Fatty Ensemble.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

After Superman Doomed #2, there's more old stuff in covers to the next two issues of Futures End (e: it probably continues further to the right. DiDio just revealed these two)

Invisible jets n' poo poo.

So what are the odds that this poo poo is actually going to happen in five years DC time? Because this should just be some Elseworld's poo poo.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Can someone tell me what the difference is betweeen Earth 2: World's End, and regular Earth 2? Is World's End the arc that's going to have Earth 2 people move over into Nu 52 Earth Prime Alpha-1?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

Which sucks, as I prefer it to stay on Earth 2.

Also that means Steroid batman is so dead.

Roid Batman is everything I wished Hulk Hogan was. :allears: .............................................brother

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Good, Earth 2 has been kinda crappy ever since red Batman, NuSuperman and RoboLois took most of the focus away from Alan, Jay and Kendra who are far more interesting characters.

Othe than narrating the recap Alan did absolutely nothing in World's End 1 and Jay and Kendra just bantered for a page or two before all the newguys stole the spotlight.

In general under Tom Taylor the series got incredibly slow, lost most of the focus of the world building and just dragged out a really dull evil Superman storyline for way too long while introducing characters to an already huge cast that were just variations on characters from Earth 0 instead of actual Golden Age/JSA heroes. Not to mention dropping all the subplots Robinson set up, I doubt we'll ever find out what happened to Captain Steel and the Red Lanterns or Kendra and Alan looking into Sam's murder- even if World's end has just written it off in one panel as "lol Terry did it no need to look further". And Dr Fate has just been reduced to a one note gibberish spouting joke.

It's lost a lot of the care in the worldbuilding and planning that the previous run had and clearly has no interest in the Golden Age which makes me wonder what these people are even writing because it's got a lot more in common with post Ultimatum Ultimate Marvel or Injustice with its obsession with just writing bad ends or evil/messed up versions of Earth 0.

You make really valid points, and also the writer for Earth 2 is the writer for Injustice. And yeah ever since Robinson left I knew this series wasn't long for this..........uhhh Earth. :smith:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

vegetables posted:

I also think Earth 2 is much better under Taylor, but can see why people who didn't agree would be frustrated as it's more or less a completely different comic at this point. I've felt for a while that the story was a bit too big for a single book to handle, so am glad to see it breaking out into a 5 books a month sort of deal.

In theory yeah but it seems super rushed with no clear focus, 5 a month doesn't lend confidence to the book at all. Especially when you're bringing in a bajillion other people to now add to what has been of late two solid writers building a world and now racing to the finish line so it can become Nu JSA or whatever. I loved Robinson's abrupt run that was giving new twists to Golden Age characters, I hated it at first just the idea but it totally won me over. When Taylor came aboard it was definitely different but still had that feel somewhat of Robinson's until he got way too bogged down in ensuring there was always going to be a Batman and Superman somehow along with Apokolips always seemingly doing another doomsday invasion every other week.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

redbackground posted:

I can't think of anyone who can just make that happen when they want. I'm sure heavy magic users could probably do it if they really needed to, but more than likely at great personal cost. Marvel has/had Elixir, but I don't know if his powers went quite that far.

The Spectre can, that's how Ollie came back after being blown up to literal bits. Lazurus pits can restore but according to Batman and ............ only one can bring the dead back to life without some kind of monkey paw consequence.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Dr. Hurt posted:

I'm pretty sure the Spectre could too, if only to kill them again horribly for some crime.

Oh yeah it was Parallax wasn't it? But Spectre still can bring people back from the dead, if I am not mistaken again he did it during that whole mini of where it was revealed Vandal Savage was the biblical Cain. Also that Quagmire villaness from the Obsidian Age arc of JLA brought them back to life in order to kill them again. Does being able to spin the Earth backwards to reverse time count?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So should I just collect Worlds End Earth 2 and read it some point down the line regular Earth 2 catches up???

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Waterhaul posted:

Here is your annual DC Crisis/Bandaid/Continuity Fix.

source

:stare:

My eyes glazed over and my brain read this as THE MULTIVERSITY DONE RIGHT! (as said by Dan Didio)

The only saving grace I could possibly see this having is if Superboy-Prime appears and reality punches everything to normal, or just kills everyone into a meaty fine red mist whilst complaining how much the Nu-52 is hackneyed and terrible.

This is also why I really hate DC events these days there's like fourteen writers jammed into this poo poo, there's no unified direction and every one is going to be clamoring for their own voice to be heard just loving sloppy and the epitome of throwing as much poo poo onto the wall to see what will stick. But hey I actually enjoyed SG:1, so the ultimate reveal that Telos is Gould Baal will be welcomed by me, and can only be stopped by Colonel O'Neal. :colbert:

Jiro fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 3, 2014

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

In which way? Convergence is another crack the concept behind Countdown Arena.

In the shallow way that now only after GMOs Multiversity is put out in single issue formats each about a different universe. But you and most everyone has a better grasp on it since I didn't read any of the Countdowns only what was posted in the funny thread or previous DC threads about how loving horrible it was. So I stayed away. If it is going to be another Countdown:Arena there definitely needs to be someone screaming "I'LL KILL YOU TO DEATH!!!" or something similar to that. (preferably Superboy-Prime)

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

redbackground posted:

What an ear for natural dialogue! WW by the Finches is off to a fine start!

No, trademark Finchian pencil scratches on everything, both eyes seem to be looking in the same direction, and the mouths don't take up most of the mouth when yelling. Not a bad start. Shading and coloring is really well done.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I forget, what is the difference of Tangent Universe again? Since they never had a number designated to them. They just talk in wild tangents? :v:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I think I may be officially done with Earth 2 the regular book I mean. That whole issue seemed so drat pointless, I really miss the world building and mythos building it first had going for it. Also John Constantine is a loving twat.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Kaleidoscope posted:

Man earth-2 has become a complete shitshow this week between World's End and the main series. What a disappointment from the way it started as one of DC's most promising reboots. When did Taylor exit the series?

It was right around the introduction of Grand DadBat. I attribute it to Future's End is when it all started going to hell having the time skip involve Earth 2 people. This is just all of that poo poo just blossoming into its lovely fruition.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'm guessing is very different for you guys, but growing on a country like Mexico.

Everything makes so much more sense now. I live on the South SOUTH Texas border right near Reynosa. You like Waller now because she is some what part of the system but is incorruptible (currently). Black Adam kind of on the level of dictatorship of Doom but again is incorruptible in his own way.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Chaos Hippy posted:

Venditti took charge during GL Rebirth?

drat you Venditti!! :argh:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Die Laughing posted:

Not even close. Blackest Night actually built up to a big win for the good guys, while Ultimatum was completely joyless.

I would never call Brightest Day a win for anyone.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Constantine has been FANTASTIC on JLD and the current arc with the Earth 2 crossover has been surprisingly solid.

Earth 2 has plummeted to poo poo since Futures End was shoved into its tail pipe. Having Constantine show up and wait and watch people die even ones that the story would focus on for a couple of issues seemed damned pointless, much like all of the 40 people doing Future's End: Earth 2: The Search for more Money. That whole mandate kinda ruined the whole potential that book had in its world building and establishing characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Solicits for Convergence week 1

Oh man, just use black haired Jason and we're golden. :allears:

What the hell is with Batman's face? I guess this also means Damian is losing his super powers pretty soon then. Didn't they already do this with Damian trolling Jason by beating the poo poo out of him with a crowbar and stealing his motorcycle???

• Locked thread