Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
If it means that one can fianly sort their purchaces such that I don't need to trall thoguh the 100 #1s I got of all of Marvel's poo poo that one time so I can read Ms. Marvel or redownload Megaman then sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Nothing too drastic for me as an Android user (Besides not going though Google's IAP System which is a non issue because a) I use my paypal account b) I Mostly buy my pull list (Which amounts to the Archie Video Game stuff and the new Ms. Marvel) via subscriptions anyway) but I can't imagine it getting much better as this continues. One day I will slip, I will allow it to go though Comixology.co.uk and it will bum me out of something I want to read because some fathead in business can't ring out another 20p out of me.

Though if they want to improve the app, now's the time to do that.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Apr 27, 2014

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So two questions about Marvel Unlimited;

1) How unlimited is it (Besides the 6 month time lag)? Would I need to pick up, say GNs of Runaways if I went for it?

2) How is the Android App?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Sarchasm posted:

1) Runaways is all up, last I checked.

2) loving awful. And the web interface isn't much better.

So yeah, not worth the money then.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Anime_Otaku posted:

Sadly just confirmed on Facebook the Viz Manga deal is only for the US and Canada.
Oh for gently caress's sake.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If you didn't immediately buy One Punch Man Vol. 1 & 2 then there's something fundamentally wrong with you.

Both it and Food Wars, books I would by as digital BTB, are region locked (in the UK) even on the Kindle Store.

I can buy as much bullshit from the twin towers of concentrated comic awfulness that are Naruto and Bleach (and One Piece if I wanted to wash my mouth out with solid gold) but the moment you want something a little less poo poo from the Jump line out come the loving lawyers to make sure it's :filez: or bust.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 10, 2014

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Uthor posted:

More DRM-free stuff on comiXology. Soon, Marvel, then, much later, DC!
http://comixology.tumblr.com/post/98909847413/drm-free-update-archie-comics-and-alternative
Good stuff. Comixology is a great service but good lord does the library management suck royal.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 2, 2014

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Zachack posted:

*Le bang!*

More comics need localised folly

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm sure this has been asked but I'll take a punt.

So I got myself a Kindle Paperwhite (gen 7) the other day and I got a couple of comics to try it out and it works great. I'm wondering if there's any way to convert the backups I get from Comixology to the same comic format for the Paperwhite.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Uthor posted:

I did a quickly Google search and it seems that the Paperwhite reads PDFs. You should be able to get PDFs from comiXology. Does that work?

Hum. Maybe. I was hoping to just have them be the native kindle format as that was the big improvement since the last time I owned a kindle (kindle 3) and all the guides section to be from then.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Some publishers allow you to download .cbr or .pdf copies from Comixology, no DRM involved. Neither of the Big Two do it, and neither does Dark Horse, but a lot of the other big indies do, like IDW and Archie.

Basically everyone 'cept for Marvel, DC, DH and the manga houses allow for downloading PDF, CBR or CBZs of their stuff.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
AFIK if it's on Comixology it'll show up there when you buy it on Kindle but the reverse does not apply.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 30, 2016

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It also has the hilerious side effect of allowing UK people to get Viz Manga (currenly Kindle only in the UK because fun if we can ever just go in a straight line on these matters) on their Comixology account.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 09:20 on May 31, 2016

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Uthor posted:

I saw Bleeding Cool asking about what happens to digital if it's supposed to be same day as print and print is basically on hold. Was that ever answered?

DC, at least, is continuing their digital distros.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
On the bright side Rebellion is having the time of its life and there's a new Humble Bundle of their stuff.
(The usual rear end-ton of Dredd and 2000ad with a whole bunch of UK Based Comic stuff)
https://twitter.com/2000AD/status/1494463990226903043

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Thill-suckers have no need for concepts such as 'what every customer wants' and 'honouring past purchase'

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Just checked, IDW seems to be completely walled up DRM Wise for the forseable.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The gators and the thoughtless just saying "just go to your LCS!" ignoring all the reasons why that wasnt feasible kinda throws all the progress I thought we made here out the window.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Breadallelogram posted:

thanks for posting this, I'd been looking for that info

I mean all it means is that I get my backup elsewhere and outwith the reach of IDW's perview.
It sucks but it is what it is and it's more than I'm willing to do with 99.999999999% of this stupid industry's crap.

Really, if not for 2000ad any comic read right to left would have been a write off for me right now.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh yeah, no, this is a complete write off.

Given Big Two's usual antics when it comes to apocalyptic events I don't expect much movement there and, generally, the little guys take after them for better or worse.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That does raise the question of why I'm doing :filez: to pay DC and reward them for Region Locking.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It's one (albeit very annoying) thing in the US where if you live in distance of a comic shop you should be ok (minus the agrovstions of that activity) but internationally and rural america this has been nothing short of a complete loving disaster.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Wouldn't know. It's region locked.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Given the bad blood that whole stupid thing caused, I'd doubt it.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
New Kodansha Humble Bundle (Good 'til April 16th)

40$ for a bunch of award winning manga including Space Bros, To Your Eternity, Witch Hat Altielier, Princess Jellyfish and, er, Quintessential Quintuplets.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Damnit, IDW, what's the point of having a store if you're not gonna release comics when they come out (The Sonic 2 tie in issue)?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Subbed to Marvel U and then promptly unsubbed when, amongst other UI hangnails, I couldn't read Two Page Vertical.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Apr 12, 2022

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
And thus the world responded with the sound of one hand clapping.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Also if you like sideways two page reading you can forget it.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
This crap is why I only buy IDW Collections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah this is why I have my Kindle / Comixology library De-DRM'd and backed up twice over.