Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I must be an outlier because I swear I've bought more stuff from Comixology than i usually do at one time, general I'll just grab a few issues or volumes at a time but i got Gen 13 and Dance In The Vampire Bund all at once. Also subscribed to a four titles and got a bundle, which I didn't know were available until I had to use the site.
Anyone know if there is any possibility of graphic novels and manga titles that are in the Amazon kindle library being put on to Comixology?

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Isn't that a straight up pedophile manga? :stare: My only experience with it is being mildly intrigued by it at Borders ages ago, opening it, seeing a 2-page ultra-detailed spread of a naked little girl, and immediately going NOPE and putting it back.

It definitly has a bit content that will make some uncomfortable but it's I doubt anyone would see it as titilating unless they're that way inclined, scenes where shes not dressed are uncomfortable and either played for drama or otherwise play off the male lead's discomfort with her body not fitting the fact she's 400 years old and acts like an adult most of the time.
If anything it's more political thriller with gory fighting and primerily western medieval supernatural themes.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Not to my knowledge, the closest you can get is Comixology or Kindle's offerings with the added step of having to use their websites or subscribing to Crunchyroll's manga service but it's still pretty small right now.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Rirse posted:

Oh neat, Marvel Unlimited added the #1 for Ms Marvel, Captain Marvel, and She-Hulk. Everyone check out the first issue if you have it, as I am loving the series so far.

Are you talking about the 2014 series? I'm not reading Captain Marvel but the new Ms Marvel (which I'm reading with no knowledge of Kamala's predecessor) and She Hulk are pretty good, though the art in the new Shulkie series is a mild let down compared to the 04-05/05-09 series which just got it's third volume released on Comixology recently, though there's a fairly obvious gap I'm missing between Volums 2 and 3.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Does Comixology have the colour versions of Scott Pilgrim? I think they're meant to but they don't show up when I search the uk site.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
There was an issue #0 put out for Free Comic Books Day, just read it and it seems pretty good.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Just saw on Facebook that Comixology has gotten the rights to Viz Manga. So that's the likes of Bleach, Naruto and One Piece. Though it looks as if it may be US only as I get I site error when I follow the link.
https://www.comixology.com/Viz-Laun...0610_Viz_Launch

I already have the Kindle edition but I really hope that they put out Black Lagoon in the UK store.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Sadly just confirmed on Facebook the Viz Manga deal is only for the US and Canada.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I thought with the Amazon deal it'd be pretty easy, they already have kindle editions. Maybe each version needs it's own license.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I watched a little bit of the anime, it seemed fairly standard "kid-finds-out-he's-half-demon-then-fights-demons-using-demonic-powers" stuff

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
There's already Manga on Comixology. It works the same any other comicbook except they are based on unflipped versions of the books so you read them from right to left and next page is on the left.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Ah, I missed the Fixed Format thing. If it's like the kindle app then it's not too bad, though guided view is definitely superior.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

PelvicNerve posted:

There's a sale with the fifty first issues of Fantastic Four, the Lee/Kirby stuff. As much as I didn't really feel like recommending their X-Men run because I felt it was a bit dated and less essential than Claremont/Byrne, I wholeheartedly recommend this one.
It sets up so many things still current in the MU. Where some older stuff might be corny in hindsight, it isn't the case here, there's really this specific sense of wonder, adventure and excitement you can find in some Silver Age comics.

There's also a sale on Waid's digital only trilogy. I'll give them a try because after his DD run, I'd try anything by Waid.

I was just going to mention these, anyone know how big the two packages are in total? I "only" have 2 gb left on my iPad before I need to start deleting things, though I should probably do that anyway. I've not read either one, the Fantastic Four one is not one I'm itching to get but the Waid trilogy seems interesting.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Gotham City Sirens was pretty good though Harley didn't have a huge role most of the time, it was more of a Catwoman + 2 deal.
Also, it's not is the sale but I can't not recommend the 2014 run of Harley Quinn.
Are the Batman Adventure comics a series of one shots? I'm assuming that's the case as they don't seem to be in any kind of order or continuous. What about Suicide Squad, is that any good?

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I was just coming to urge everyone to get the Deadpool bundle, I love it.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Comixology's week long sale is Nightwing. Never read any Nightwing myself so can't say what is good or not.
On Sale:
1995 series
1996-2009 series
2011-2014 series
There's also some individual issues and (presumably) arcs too from Action Comic, Birds of Prey and others.
All issues appear to be at the 69p/99c price.

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 1, 2014

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Comixology has a 50% off sale on Luna Brothers comics, including a both collected editions and bundle with 60% off but in all honesty the only thing not in a CE from the bundle is The Sword which I took a disliking to pretty much the second they took their disabled protagonist and fixed her pretty much immediately.
Jennifer Blood is also on sale which I enjoyed.

Any particular recommendations from the free Archie comics for a new reader.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
It's been a while since I read it but, at least to start, it's like female punisher but she's still keeping up appearances of normality and with a more personal plot.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Totally recommend all of the Image sale stuff. If you only pick up one I'd go for Morning Glories.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I'd need to go read them again but Deadly Class is really good, the art is nice and the set up isn't exactly unique (Five Weapons has a similar private school for criminal kids setting) but it's kind of cool seeing the way they twisted the old private high school set up. The protagonist is a poor kid (he's a homeless orphan at the start) that got in on a "scholarship" that gets heat from everyone looking down on him to start with, the strict hardass Principal actually threatens to kill him and uses torture as disipline and the student body is divided into Old Money and the Nouveau Riche, but in this case that means Mafioso and Triads vs Cartels and LA street gangs.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Comixology has Greg Rucka's Queen & Country and Stumptown on sale until the 11th. I got Q&C volume one not long ago literally for pennies when Comixology had an anniversery celebration or something going and it's pretty good. Stumptown sounds OK too.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
They really are sticking Angry Birds branding on anything they can get their hands on.

Are the DC Tangent comics any good?

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Is the Boundless bundle worth getting? It's War Goddess #0-12 and Lady Death #0-26 for £20

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
There's also an Avatar horror sale. 126 issues for £47.99. One thing to note is I already own Fevre Dream and I don't know if that will change the price or number of issues it shows me for the bundle.
https://www.comixology.co.uk/Avatar-Best-of-Horror-Bundle/page/5781?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC90YWJsZXQvbGFyZ2VDYXJvdXNlbA

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

https://www.comixology.com/Hawkeye-Sale/page/5827?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL3NtYWxsQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Fraction Hawkeye 1-11
Edmonson Black Widow 1-6
2013 Secret Avengers
2014 Secret Avengers 1-5

That looks good, pity it doesn't include trades. Just downloaded Black Widow #1, might grab Secret Avengers. Anything that needs read before it for context?

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Yeah, I'm going to +1 everything said about Black Widow, got the two trades and loved them and the art is nice, going to look up the artist and see if anything appeals. Also Hawkeye's current run is definitely not at all like BW, much more light hearted, though it has some darkish moments, at least in the first volume.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Was just going to post this myself, thinking of just grabbing the £5 bundle, anything in there that's either "download immediately " or conversely "don't waste HD space on it"?

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
What good comics are there on Comixology that are centred on villains? I just got, and read, the first volume of Superior Iron Man and recently binged through the Avengers Academy/Arena/Undercover so I'd be happy with either a title where the villain is just being a wonderfully massive jerk to everyone like SIM or a title that shows the villains aren't just a massive jerk like AU. I've got Irredeemable and a bunch of the Batman graphic novels that are Joker centric.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
They're also doing a bunch of Image comics #1s, some of which are listed in that sale too, anyone not reading The Wicked + The Divine, Saga or Lazarus (the last two both have big omnibus editions out) should probably try the first issue at least, Bitch Planet and Deadly Class are okay too, I subscribed to Deadly Class, but I'm waiting for Bitch Planet to get a collected edition.

Anything good in the Red Sonja sale? I got some stuff in a recent sale where they had a big grab-bag of #1s I think for free and then #2 to about 6 dirt cheap which was pretty good if a bit cheesy.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Uthor posted:

Anything good in the Boom! sale?
https://www.comixology.com/Boom-Recent-Hits-Sale/page/6737

I think I heard good things about Midas Flesh?

There's three I've got in the sale but only two I've read so far: Day Men is a pretty nice take on the old "Vampires run the world in secret" type of story focusing on one of the humans employed by one family as a kind of hit man working during the sunlit hours, hence the name.
Deep State is kind of an action-y X-files/non comedy Men In Black which I also enjoyed.
I've only read issue 1 of Dead Letters but it looks like it could be good.

Is Dejah Thoris worth getting or is it just cheesecake? Should probably point out I quite enjoy things like Vampirella.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
What's recommended for a someone who's a bit of a DC newbie in the sale? I can't really remember which "infinite/infinity" story is the big one people talk up.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Has anyone else read the new Runaways? Is it as bad as people have apparently made out it is and is there any first impressions on the new Civil War thing?. Can anyone tell me if Drones is any good? Also for my sins I'm considering getting 21st Century Tank Girl, maybe Halloween Man and George Perez's Sirens too but that's on part 4 of 6 so I might see if it's collected, it's not like I'm short of comics to read right now.

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 8, 2015

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Comixology are doing some variant covers for SDCC, the one for A-force is kinda cute.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Anyone that was on the fence at all about the Gillen and McKelvie books should absolutely get them, I'm half tempted to delete the single WikDiv issues and get the two collected editions.

Aspen has a line wide using the promo code "Aspen" for half off. Kinda tempted to get Charismagic as I read issue one, or a preview, a while ago and thought it was good, and for all it's silliness I enjoyed the Executive Assistant books. Is there anything else worth picking up?

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

zoux posted:

Image has the first volume of Morning Glories for free today. Is that series any good, looks like yet another special person academy story to me.

If you can get the first volume free you may as well grab it, I've enjoyed the series so far but it is very weird, kind of like the middle of Lost. It's also hard to explain anything that's going on with the series on two fronts, just basic strangeness and the old chestnut of any decent explanation being kind of spoilery.

I'm also wondering if the X-files or Robocop books are any good.

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 12, 2015

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Think this is an issue I had a few weeks back if it's not showing in the purchased list, basically turn it off and on, i.e. log out of the app then log in again.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Anyone that was interested in WSJ being on Comixology might be interested to know that they just dropped a ton of new manga on the site, the U.S. might have already had it but in the UK at least it's new and there's a lot of good stuff like Attack on Titan. Only down side is that they're not using guided view for it.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
That sounds like what happened to me with the iOS app, I had to logout and back in again.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Just had a quick look on Comixology they've got a whole load of Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV show stuff added today and Aliens/ AvP too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
There's 2 Halloween sales on Comixology right now, both run to the 26th.
One is a Boom! Studios 50% off sale. From that one I already had Day Men which is a pretty good "Vampires run the world from behind the scenes" series and I'm tempted to buy the 28 Days Later omnibus.
The second sale is for Comixology submit books using the code "treat". There's a lot of stuff there so I don't know what's good. It is divided up by genre though, which helps.