Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

How is Comixology on smart phones? Because I've got University starting on Monday, and I'm thinking it might be worth it to start taking advantage of sales on there, so I have something to read in between classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Mr Hootington posted:

the app blows.

Ah, is it bad to the point of not even bothering? Come to think of it, Marvel Unlimited does seem appealing as well.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Mr Hootington posted:

my advice would be to get a kindle. the comixology app works best on it and you can read marvel unlimited through the browser.

Both apps are awful on smart phones. I also hate guided views

Edit: marvel unlimited would be your best bet if you want to read marvel without too big of a wallet hit.

I can probably make do with my phone for now until I can get a kindle.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

My university has wi-fi access for students, so that shouldn't be a huge issue for me.

Edit - Well, if I cancel my order for the Omega Men trade, I can get a Kindle Fire in two weeks time, so I'm gonna go ahead and do that.

Roth fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 27, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm just here to report that Marvel Unlimited works pretty well on my phone. Not perfect, and I'd obviously prefer a kindle, but reading the original Fantastic Four comics has worked pretty well on it so far.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Oh yeah, that's the plan.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Asnorban posted:

Long been interested in Doom Patrol. How is it?

If you like surrealism, and issues about :

An evil brain and a jar and a talking gorilla in a gay relationship
A villain group sucking up Paris into a painting whose membership includes somebody whose superpower is every superpower you haven't thought of
That same group later running for President
And a parody of the Punisher who hunts people with beards

Then read it as soon as possible.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's a pretty fun gore fest.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Hiatus

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

What's Jim Valentino's Guardians of the Galaxy like? I'm mostly interested in it because I don't know a thing about any of those characters on the team.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Gotham Academy is a pretty fun. The last third of the first series before Second Semester is kinda weak since it turns into an anthology series for some reason, but the actual story has picked back up again with Second Semester.

Everything's pretty self-contained too, I don't think there's anything from anywhere else you'd have to read to understand what's going on.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I remember getting that first issue of JLA in middle school and going: "gently caress yeah, gonna be rich as poo poo in 50 years"

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

OhFunny posted:

How are the Power Rangers comics?

They're genuinely great.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Got all of I Kill Giants in that Image sale. Anything worth getting that's fairly short?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I decided to get Mage 1 and 2 as well.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Sick, all of The Boys for $60. Just what I always wanted.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

hadji murad posted:

What's good from the Titans Sale for a DC noob?

New Teen Titans is good, but has definitely aged quite a bit. Avoid the New 52 Blue Beetle and Teen Titans books, they're awful.

If you ever enjoyed the older Teen Titans animated series, then the comics based off that version are pretty decent. They have some ugly art though.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Those are the best ones from that sale, yeah.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

bobkatt013 posted:

What about the he grounded starlord?

It's real good

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I've always been interested in reading Salvation Run. Is it any good?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That's disappointing.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That was honestly where my main interest in the series lied in. I love the Brain and Mallah.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I would, but hours at Legoland have been cut for the slow season, so I'm being a bit conservative with my spending.

I picked up the Knightfall stuff though.

Roth fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 3, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

SilentChaz posted:

Here's another 20 dollar off 30 dollars or more cart @ Comixology:

CMX0626-CLFFQ

Thank you!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That sale is weird. They only have random issues of her Wonder Woman and Birds of Prey on sale, and not the original Secret Six for some reason.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

What's good in the Boom sale outside of Power Rangers?

I think I'm interested in Snow Blind, Welcome Back, and Kong of Skull Island

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I use a Google Spreadsheet to keep track of things that look interesting and I want to read, as well as what the last issue I read them was.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Mech Cadet Yu, Misfit City, and Hi-Fi Fight Club are all really good, so grab those if you can.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

If it includes comics, that would be the only way for me to actually subscribe.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm still reading it, but it's mostly because I haven't read the book so I want to see where it goes.

The art's nice, but I do feel like quite a bit of the narration is just copy/pasted from the book, and it can be a bit tedious to read that.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Is the coloring worth the extra $40?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Junkie Disease posted:

Its good coloring but Jeffs inking and style is strong as hell in b&w

That's all I need to hear, I am going to get this when I get paid on Thursday because this has been a series I've been wanting to read since I first saw it Middle School, but could just never get a hold of the first volume.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I bought:

Creature Commandos
Zatanna by Paul Dini
Black Canary/Zatanna: Bloodspell
Batgirl: Stephanie Brown
Superman: Secret Identity
Black Canary vol. 2
Both volumes of Dial H
Green Arrow by Jeff Lemire
Legion of Superheroes: The Great Darkness Saga and The Curse

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

From the current Marvel comics I'd recommend:

Shattered Empire
Han Solo
Obi-Wan & Anakin
Lando
Kanan
Darth Vader followed by Doctor Aphra

The main ongoing is fun, but not the best of the bunch.

From Legends:

A War With The Empire Omnibus
Clone Wars Omnibus
X-Wing Rogue Squadron Omnibus
Knights of the Old Republic Omnibus
Legacy
Star Wars Tales

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Endless Mike posted:

Isn't all the Legends stuff on Marvel Unlimited now?

Yes

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I bought We3.

I get paid twice before the sale ends, so definitely gonna go and get some more later on.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Some of my own questions for the sale:

Is there anything else by Vertigo that's just weird one-off stuff like We3?

Original Black Lightning series worth checking out?

Greg Pak's Action Comics any good?

I would appreciate Marvel recs in general. I have read a large chunk of Claremont X-Men, Simonson Thor, most of Jason Aaron Thor, a lot of the 00s cosmic Marvel, Runaways, and Planet Hulk through to Incredible Hercules of Pak's Hulk. I think I'm mostly interested in: Journey into Mystery by Gillen, Daredevil by Bendis, All-New X-Factor, Busiek Avengers, Cable & Deadpool, and Worst X-Man Ever.

I'm trying to find if Peter David Hulk and the 80s Moon Knight series are on there but I can't seem to find them.

A good run of Aquaman other than Peter David would also be appreciated.

Same with Batman stuff that's not by Morrison, Frank Miller, or Scott Snyder.

Other characters and teams I'd like to read more about: Shazam, Birds of Prey, Deadman, I, Vampire, Suicide Squad, Firestorm, Jonah Hex, JSA

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I was actually thinking of the 05 series too actually :v:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think Crisis on Infinite Earths is worth a read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Junkie Disease posted:

I missed the first one but I just read it and its like being tricked by a gypsy. I thought I bought a readable comic!

:stare: