Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Uthor posted:

Anything good in the Boom! sale?
https://www.comixology.com/Boom-Recent-Hits-Sale/page/6737

I think I heard good things about Midas Flesh?

Midas Flesh is definitely good. I enjoyed the art, concept, and execution. Ending wasn't perfect, but not terrible, either--and it was a hard story to end. Worth the buy.

I enjoyed the three-issue mini Memetic as well. Weaponized memes, pretty solidly in the "buy it if the concept intrigues you" category.

edit: Whoops, too late, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

So Wasteland is having its first sale since the series wrapped at #60. Has anyone actually read it all? It has some good blurbs on its website, but I can find virtually no discussion or reviews from anyone about the whole thing.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

plainswalker75 posted:

I've only read through it all the one time, but I'd say I enjoyed the series; it's got a real Fallout vibe to it (without the 50's aesthetic) and the narrative is really good for about 50 issues. After that point, it start getting pretty confusing and the last 5 or so issues are the story of how the world got the way it is. The art's mostly decent, but can be a bit shaky at times and sometimes the characters can only be differentiated through dialogue.

Thank you! Yeah, I started reading it after one sale (I dig the sprawling post-apocalyptic vibe, reviews seemed decent, and I liked the art in general), but trailed off around issue 11 or 12--not deliberately, and figured I'd come back to it. I also had some trouble distinguishing some of the characters, which is an issue I really dislike in series. I figured that "sticking the landing" would be an important factor in whether I decided to read all of it--if you read it all and enjoyed, I think that's good enough.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Uthor posted:

Any word if they're merging libraries?

I hope they do, because that would be the "respectful of consumers" move--but that would also make me kick myself for ignoring some of their awesome sales in the past...

But as far as I can tell, no actual custom sorting so I can make a list to read through, e.g., Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers without going back and forth between the series constantly. :/

onefish fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 22, 2015

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

I've only read the stuff you've mentioned, so I can't really add anything. Spread was interesting, but didn't grab me. Might read better in chunks. I got on ODY-C when it started and it seems like something that DEFINITELY reads better in trades, so I'm holding off until it's further along. Gorgeous art, but reading the Odyssey in monthly chunks is not ideal.

Check out No Mercy (Alex de Campi writing, Carla Speed McNeil on art) for a seriously under-the-radar non-superhero, non-supernatural comic that's doing some cool stuff and has super high potential. Maybe one for people who dig Ms. Marvel, but have no real need to stay all-ages or superhero or mainstream. (It has some of the same attention to "how teens are with technology," but is getting Lord-of-the-Flies dark quick.)

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/alex-de-campi-shows-no-mercy-to-teenagers-in-latest-series
https://www.comixology.com/No-Mercy-1/digital-comic/211084

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

What if I don't think Archie vs. Predator (also by de Campi) is that good except for the spectacle?

I still need to check out Archie vs. Predator, so I'm not sure!

For me, de Campi's writing on this book so far is solidly upper mid-tier. I slot it with a couple other authors who I think have pretty original, interesting ideas and dialogue, but whose comics writing doesn't seem to flow quite as smoothly as it could. Ales Kot and Antony Johnston often feel kind of the same way to me in terms of writing that would be really good if it were a bit less choppy.

Basically, it's good enough for me to read and enjoy. If the art were unexceptional or if I weren't interested in the characters or concept, it would be an issue, but I really like McNeil's art along with the characters/concept.

VVV I haven't read the others, so this opinion doesn't *really* count, but I think it's gotta be Wytches. Snyder often doesn't do it for me, but this one's got me hooked.

onefish fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 1, 2015

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Zachack posted:

Yeah but you're positive on a lot of stuff. What about opinions from dour people?

I'm fairly picky, but I dig it. Not a top-tier full-price monthly read, but totally worth the time spent reading from a sale. The art's a big part of my enjoyment, so make sure you like the (awesome) art.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

InShaneee posted:

I don't see it announced anywhere on the front page, but it looks like ALL Dark Horse stuff on Comixology is 50% off.

Farewell, money, I'll never forget our time together.

Was about to mention. Crazy crazy crazy.

Considering:
Hellboy (+ BPRD)
Fear Agent
Blade of the Immortal?
Lone Wolf and Cub?
Blacksad?

Sin City was solid when I read it a while back but I don't really need to give Frank Miller money at this point.

I remember Fray (sci fi future in the Buffy universe) as really enjoyable.

Any others folks want to rec?

Fear Agent is a tough decision because I like the art and would really love a great fun sci-fi adventure comic, but I mostly don't like Remender's writing. I enjoyed the ridiculous fun of Franken-Castle and thought his Uncanny X-Force run was solid enough except for whatever weird crossover thing happened in the middle of it, but I don't really like his narrative voice in e.g. Black Science or most of the other stuff I've read from him. Anyone else who's not *particularly* a Remender fan have thoughts on Fear Agent?

edit: Thanks for Fear Agent thoughts. And oh wow, yeah, looks like the deal on Finder Library volumes is amazing. That's been rec'd to me before as well.

Oh, also, I think Dr. McNinja is definitely fun enough to be worth purchasing at the sale prices.

onefish fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 8, 2015

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Archer & Armstrong sale!

https://www.comixology.com/Archer-Armstrong-Sale/page/7768

For the new series, I read and enjoyed through ~16 from an earlier sale. I want to finish out the run, but should I get the Bloodshot and H.A.R.D. Corps crossover issues? I don't currently read any other Valiant series and like the Valiant books enough to buy on sale, but not read ongoing.

VVV edit: thanks. Yeah, realized afterward that they sidebarred the number of each issue in the crossover storyline on the covers, so that was a pretty good indicator.

So, out of curiousity, if I get Archer & Armstrong to 25 and the crossover issues (plus the one-shot), does that feel like a "complete" story? Is that the end of Van Lente's run?

onefish fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 14, 2015

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

X-O posted:

You probably want to get Delinquents as well. And maybe even Ivar, Timewalker. There's also a new volume for Archer and Armstrong coming soon. And there's three one shots, Archer and Armstrong #0, Archer #0 and The One Percent #1.

Oh cool, thanks. I was worried Delinquents would be a new ongoing that I wouldn't want to start, but I see it's a four issue mini--I'll grab it. And make sure I have the one-shots.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Can someone who's read all of Astro City give some buying advice? Buy everything? Anything completely skippable? Any especially great runs?

edit: thank you for links/advice! I keep looking at 3-page excerpts and being like "eh," but I clearly need to read the full free issues and then make the call.

onefish fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 15, 2015

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Man, soooo many books in that Image sale I want to read.

Books I've read and recommend: Saga, Sex Criminals, Bitch Planet, Rat Queens, Wytches, No Mercy
Books I've read that were all right: Alex + Ada (if you can deal with the art and are into the concept, it's good. Otherwise, eh.)
Books with a lot of acclaim that I've read a few issues of and know I'll really dig if I buy and read the rest: The Wicked and the Divine, Southern Bastards, East of West, Lazarus
Books I've read a few issues of and think would probably be quite enjoyable: Shutter, Nailbiter (?)
Books that have complete runs in the sale that seem like they might be good buys: Zero, Sheltered

onefish fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 6, 2015

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Sentinel Red posted:

FFS, Dark Horse/Comixology, couldn't you have arranged for all this poo poo to go live yesterday or tomorrow? Having to slowly shoot past ONE BILLION OLD COMICS I don't care about is not what I want to be doing on new comics day.

:argh:

The weekly dedicated new releases page probably has everything you want to see, without the old stuff that show up on the "New" tab: https://www.comixology.com/New-Releases/page/8403?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL3NtYWxsQ2Fyb3VzZWw

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Vertigo 101 sale, possibly the best single sale I've ever seen on Comixology.

Full runs of Preacher, 100 Bullets, Transmetropolitan, Y: The Last Man, DMZ, Ex Machina, Scalped, American Vampire: Volume One, Sweet Tooth, and the first 10 trades of Hellblazer, at less than $1/issue ($5 per trade--Preacher and Ex Machina are deluxe trades so it's $30 for all of Preacher and $25 for Ex Machina). Plus Daytripper, V for Vendetta, Pride of Baghdad, Trillium, and a few others tossed in for kicks. (Looks like The Losers full run, 32 issues in two $5 volumes, is also down there--discussion and reviews of it aren't bad either.)

onefish fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 13, 2015

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Of the major series, I bought the ones I didn't own/haven't read--100 Bullets, Ex Machina, and DMZ. Figure I eventually want to read all of those, and they're all at less than $1/issue. I'll have to get more picky about other Comixology sales for the next little while, but I don't expect there will be a lot of stuff I'll wish I'd gotten instead of full classic Vertigo runs.

edit: And yeah, I knew these were the least-recommended of the long Vertigo runs (which is why I'd already read the rest of them and not these), but I've heard enough good stuff and liked the first few issues of each enough that I think I won't regret the buy. ( ::fingers crossed:: )

Dunbar posted:

I've already read Y, Preacher and 100 Bullets, so of Hellblazer, Transmetropolitan and American Vampire, are any of those considered must-read or highly recommended over the others?

Hellblazer, Transmet, and American Vampire are all highly acclaimed, all different. Hellblazer is foundational pre-Vertigo "weird DC," Transmet is classic Vertigo near-future sci-fi, American Vampire is modern-Vertigo historical/contemporary horror. (Transmet's from the "Preacher" era, AV is closer to the "Y" era.)

onefish fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 14, 2015

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Uthor posted:

Anyway, can I get a recommendation on good single issues to buy? I have an odd number of books in my cart and would like a single thing to round it out.

Any suggestions on good older ($1.99) single issues?

(Also, is "Punisher: The Cell" even available on Comixology? Can't find it, though it's probably MAX and so ineligible anyway.)

edit: thanks!

onefish fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 16, 2015

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Anyone have takes on The Filth and Seaguy?

(I have medium patience for Morrison, at least as I've experienced his work so far. WE3 is one of my favorite comics, and I thought All-Star Superman was pretty much a blast, too. Seem to recall liking Arkham Asylum as well, though that was a while back and I imagine McKean art was important for that. I thought his New X-Men and Batman runs were pretty good--you know, *interesting*, at least, even if some of the storytelling choices seemed goofy. Haven't read The Invisibles/Doom Patrol/Flex Mentallo/Animal Man, but they seem like long runs to commit to when I've been "eh" on some of his most acclaimed work--especially since I think I'd be less interested in mystical/meta stuff than just in new, cool ideas executed in an interesting way.)

edit: Thanks, all! Decisions, decisions. Sounds like Seaguy'll be a safe pick. I'm not certain I'll like The Filth either, but I might get it anyway--I want to give Morrison at his weirdest a *shot*, and that seems like a way to do so at a lower-risk price and time investment. Will look into the other recs as well--Seven Soldiers was one I hadn't heard of before, looks potentially pretty cool. It's amazing how divisive these all are -- there are Morrison fans who think Seven Soldiers and The Filth are his best, and others who say they're his worst.

onefish fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 20, 2015

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

zoux posted:

Quantum and Woody sale!.

The ones you want are the 2012 series and Delinquents. Avoid the Priest stuff!

Do I want the "Valiant-Sized Quantum and Woody" one-shot? Also, is that series concluded at #12 plus Quantum and Woody Must Die (same author) and The Delinquents, it seems?

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Okay, for some reason I am failing to get to this answer by Google -- and by the lack of info and my inability to do it myself, it looks like no -- but can I apply Amazon credit (or any of the credit card points that I can pay with on Amazon.com) or Amazon Gift Cards to Amazon Payments so that I can use that credit to buy comics?

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Shitshow posted:

Try reaching out to Comixology on Twitter. They're normally good about answering questions like this.

Edit: what you could do - once your accounts have been merged - is buy comics through Amazon using gift cards / points, and then read them through the Comixology app?

Oh hey, this second option is a very good answer to the question--thank you. Importantly, Amazon Kindle seems to match all Comixology discount sales on trades, and it's very clear when a book bought at the main Amazon site can be read on Comixology. They don't seem to match individual issue discounts, though, so I might still reach out to Comixology on the question.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Image has I think everything for 50% off when you use the code image.

Does anyone have some completed Image series they'd like to recommend for this sale? I'm full up on ongoings (topped up on Saga, Sex Crims, Bitch Planet, Manhattan Projects, WicDiv), but willing to check out some stuff that's finished!

Recs I can think of:
Starlight by Millar/Parlov
Glory by Keatinge/Campbell
Phonogram Vols 1 + 2 by Gillen/McKelvie
Three by Gillen/Kelly

medium-enthusiastic recommendations for Zero, Mara, and Sheltered, maybe worth it at sale price but ultimately only if you *really* like the concept for Alex + Ada. I don't actually remember how much I actually liked The Strange Talent of Luther Strode and the sequel, but enough to read them both without much resentment--probably worth it if you like the art.

I'd previously picked up Fatale, Prophet, and SCUD, and still need to read them, so, like, maybe I don't need to buy any more, but still interested in recs...

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Is it possible to get the full Annihilation Saga (Abnett/Lanning) experience from the Marvel sale? "TPBs" of Annihilation Vols 1-3, Annihiliation: Conquest: 1 and 2, The War of Kings, Realm of Kings, The Thanos Imperative? Or is missing their GotG too much? Just the Annihilation books a good buy?

Also, should I pick up all or some of the Miller Daredevil omnibus editions? (The ones with Miller and Janson, I have the Miller and Mazz books.)

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

TheHeadSage posted:

If you got the Image discount code in your email, this seems to stack with their current (unmentioned) Image sale. So I just got vol 2-6 of Saga for about $2 each as well as a heap of other collections that ranged from $2 to $3 each.

Yeah, this deal is amazing, through May 25, looks like. Anyone have recommendations for completed (or standalone/closed) Image series to pick up--maybe especially recently completed ones?
(I'll rec Chew, Glory, Sheltered, The Maxx, and I know other people would rec Criminal/Fatale/The Fade Out)

^^And Manhattan Projects is brilliant and worth reading even though it doesn't end.

Image ongoings I was reading and am deciding whether to pick back up here:
Lazarus, Manifest Destiny, The Wicked + the Divine, Shutter, Bitch Planet

Image ongoings I'm reading and up to date on:
Saga, The Walking Dead, Sex Criminals, Rat Queens even though it's not really good anymore.

onefish fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 22, 2017

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Asnorban posted:

I did not get an email. Is that a unique code or a general code?

Note: email is from Comixology, not Image -- I didn't find it for a few minutes.

edit re: Manhattan Projects, there have been no official announcements other than that Hickman said it was switching from a continuous run to a series of minis, but we only have the one mini and it's been a long while.

onefish fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 23, 2017

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Space Fish posted:

Crossposting from Young Animal & Vertigo thread:

Line-wide Vertigo sale on Comixology for 60% off, use coupon code "VERTIGO" at checkout.
Just used it and the discount applied to latest issues of series.

I've already got a lot of the most acclaimed Vertigo stuff: read and loved Transmet, Sandman, Preacher, Y:tLM, Lucifer, Scalped, Unwritten, Sweet Tooth, WE3, American Vampire First Cycle. Own and enjoying but haven't finished 100 Bullets, DMZ. Own a bunch of Hellblazer and first volume of Swamp Thing, too, along with Daytripper, though I haven't read them yet. Keep bouncing off The Invisibles, not sure it's for me.

So what should I consider picking up here? Finished stuff is best, so currently looking at Sherriff of Babylon, Unfollow, and probably Ocean/Orbiter by Ellis. Is American Vampire 2nd Cycle really great? I'm put off by the series delays. Cairo, maybe?

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Yep, Google Spreadsheet with the last issue # of every comic I read, along with the date I read that issue. I don't think there's a better/quicker way.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Oh, and Fury Max wasn't around for Kindle-to-Comixology last time this was on, so that's awesome. Also, once again, with the first graphic novel you buy, you get a free one from a list of like 75.

If you need a recommendation, uhhhh... all of Nextwave for $4.40?

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Huh. With multi-publisher 50% off sales, there are at least a few once-exciting series that have had finales since I last read them that I could catch up on, but I'm not sure if they'll be worth it, since acclaim seems to have died off. Particularly, Shutter and Letter 44 (though not everything from Letter 44 is on sale)--anyone have opinions on those?

I also once really enjoyed Lumberjanes, but it seems to have gotten much less interesting--any opinions there? Or on Rat Queens vol. 2?

onefish fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 12, 2017

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Hmmm, year-end deals. I feel like I already got most of what I wanted from Marvel and Image, so considering other pubs. Like, anyone have an opinion on if it's worth finishing Letter 44? I was reading/enjoying it for a while, stalled out around issue ~20, and it's done now at #35. There doesn't seem to be a lot of online discussion I can find.

edit: thanks, picking up the rest of L44!

onefish fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

So, on Comixology, today there's a code "IMAGEFLASH" for 50% off all Image Comics released before 2/17, and there's also a 50% off "Image Sci-Fi" sale still going on until tomorrow, meaning that you can get books that are in the sale for 75% off. Includes Injection, Trees, Spread, Descender, Black Science/Low/Tokyo Ghost, Glory, Paper Girls, Revival, Prophet, other stuff.

edit: VVV not yet read Revival! Of the stuff in the sale, I've only actually read Glory (which I remember loving). Picked up Injection and Spread in the sale, and had already picked up (but not yet read) Revival, Descender, and Paper Girls in earlier sales. (I... seem to have a problem with backlog.)

onefish fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 4, 2020