Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Amazon's Kindle Deal of the Day today includes 8 DC collections for $2.99. Comixology often matches these prices, but it doesn't look like they've done so yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

There is also a sale on Crossed today, individual issues are 99¢ or a bundle of 75 issues for $74.99. At first blush it seems like it would be a better value to purchase the issues individually, but the bundle includes 5 issues that are not included in the sale.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Speaking of seemingly secret sales (and awful alliteration), the first 23 issues of Mad Magazine are on sale for 99¢ each. I'm no Mad historian, but I believe that is the entire run in comic format.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Are there any other good Ultimate Spider-Man stories not included in the bundle? It seems to just be USM/UCSM and Cataclysm.

The bundle also includes Ultimate Six and the two issue Ultimatum Requiem. I haven't been keeping up with things since the Ultimatum reboot so I can't speak to anything there, but with pre-Ultimatum I believe the only thing you'd be missing is Ultimate Team-Up, which as I recall is somewhat non-canon.

Also worth noting, the bundle does NOT include volume 2 issue #16.1. Not sure why that is.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Anyone know what the deal is with the Wolfskin bundle? The description says it includes 10 issues and lists the Annual among them, but the actual issue listed in the "included with this bundle" breakdown only lists the 9 regular issues, leaving out the Annual.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

unl33t posted:

Anyone know what the deal is with the Wolfskin bundle? The description says it includes 10 issues and lists the Annual among them, but the actual issue listed in the "included with this bundle" breakdown only lists the 9 regular issues, leaving out the Annual.

They have now updated this bundle to include the Annual, however for some reason they removed the banner advertising this bundle and Gravel from the header. If you go the the pages for the respective titles you can still get the bundles, though.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

As someone vaguely interested in Godzilla, but also trying to keep a cap on how much they're spending on Comixology, is the entire Godzilla bundle worthwhile, or should I just go a la carte? If the latter, is there anything aside from Half-Century War that's can't miss?

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Uthor posted:

But did they up all the prices going back to #1 or just the ones from that issue onward.

It doesn't look like it-if you go to the page for issue #23 you can see the $1.99 price crossed out above the 99¢ sale price, but going to earlier issues that $1.99 is not there.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Solaris Knight posted:

Can you narrow that down a bit? :downs:

Also relevant here in case you missed the discussion earlier, the issues prior to #23 were only 99¢ regular price, so you may want to focus on the later issues during the sale. Of course, there is always the possibility that they'll raise those to $1.99 as well, but at least for now 99¢ is their every day price.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Amazon has Dragon Ball Volume 1 for $1.99 as part of the Kindle Deal of the Day, and it looks like Comixology is matching that price. Hopefully this will be the case going forward for all Kindle sales, as I greatly prefer Comixology's format over Kindle's.

Also, regarding Elephantmen, I picked up a ton of collections the last time it was on sale, and got bored and disinterested in it pretty quickly and haven't come close to finishing up what I bought. It seems really uneven to me, the story and timeline jumps around alot-some of them I found quite gripping (which is why I bought so many last time, I quite liked the first issue that I read), but others I was thoroughly underwhelmed by.
Obviously taste is subjective, and I'll readily admit that I haven't read enough of it to give a truly informed opinion on it, but I'd say proceed with caution.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

ovaries posted:

I'd love to buy this but Comixology is saying it's $6.99 when I add it to my cart. So there's a thing.

It must be website only. The odd thing is the prices across the board seem to be higher on the app then on the website-they're $6.99 on the app, but volumes 1-10 (with the exception of volume 2) are $4.99 on the website.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

ovaries posted:

I was trying to buy it through the website. It's a weird error -- it's listed as $6.99 in my cart but the normal price on its store page is listed as $4.99.

Oh, that is odd. I would try emailing support and check back later.

There was an issue a couple weeks ago where a Warren Ellis collection had a bundle that didn't include an issue that was included in the description, I emailed support with the issue and never received a reply outside of the initial "We received your message", but the issue was added to the bundle later in the day.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

The 10 Batman titles at $2.99 under the "Essential Batman Collections Sale" banner are most likely a price match, as those same ten titles are part of today's Kindle Deal of the Day, so if you're interested in picking those up I'd do it today, they'll probably go back to full price tomorrow.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Sarchasm posted:

I was really excited a few minutes ago because I finally loaded an issue of Captain Marvel but none of the word bubbles loaded in so welp.

I had this problem with an issue of The Sentry a while back (it actually took me a while to figure it out, at first I thought it was just a "silent" issue), closing the browser and reloading everything fixed it.

I'd also like to second the recommendation for Box Office Poison, one of the best books I've ever read. The companion collection of one-offs BOP! More Box Office Poison didn't quite match up, so I'd advise against trying to save a few bucks and "test driving" with that.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Any thoughts from anyone on Dan the Unharmable? The sale expires this weekend, and I've been waffling on whether or not to pull the trigger on the sale bundle all week. My personal enjoyment of Lapham is pretty hit-or-miss, but the premise and preview pages look pretty promising (Holy hell, that was an above average amount of alliteration).

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

That is a good deal, and I'm interested, but I have to ask: Is there actual substance and good writing here, or is it mainly pulp action silliness?

Because I remember a long time ago someone posting a page that was such a hamfisted critique of modern comics that it turned me off from even trying the book.

Well, I think the writing is good, but it certainly is mainly pulp action silliness. I quite enjoy the series and would highly recommend it, but I guess I'd stop just short of stating that it's a brilliant series that transcends it's premise.

They have a FCBD issue every year that should still be available for free on Comixology, so I would highly suggest you download one of those out to see if it's something for you. I feel pretty confident in saying that if you don't enjoy those issues you won't enjoy the series.

For what it's worth I don't really share the tastes of the Goon hive mind and generally don't see the appeal of the super wacky "aren't comics FUN!!" stuff that gets so much love here (which Robo pretty much falls under), but I still love it.

Edit: Since Comixology was so kind as to log me out while I was typing the above reply I went to the main series page to verify that the FCBD issues are still available, and for free. They don't show up among the sale items, but if you just follow the "View More in Series" link you can find those issues.

unl33t fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 9, 2014

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

The Kindle Deal of the Day includes Gotham Central vol. 1 for $2.99. That price is not currently matched by Comixology, I kinda hope it is because I really don't like the Kindle format for reading comics and I'm pretty interested in checking it out-on the other hand I am picking up the Stray Bullets bundle, and I believe that's going to put my Comixology collection over 2,500 titles (which includes a couple omnibuses) so I really don't actually need anything more to read.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

So, did they just not update their artwork template, or is there some reason that this is "The Nth Annual National Comic Book Day"?

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

There is also a The Walking Dead sale going on, has anyone read the special one-shot issues for Michonne, Tyreese, and The Governor? I'm wondering if the added materials are worthwhile, seems like the bulk of these issues are just reprints of the issues the characters first appeared in, which I would already have.

I'll also point out that they have a special bundle for Marvel's 75th anniversary, seems to be a pretty solid collection of great issues over the history of Marvel. However, the $75 price point is awfully steep, especially considering that I'm sure most of those issues would be available on Marvel's Unlimited service. There also seem to be a good number of issues that are part of a larger arc that are really going to lose something being read out of context.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

Bulletproof Coffin also received a lot of praise around here, but I don't think that really counts as horror so much as just being a surreal superhero story. Whole thing for $4 is a great deal though.

Not to be a pedant, but the collection on sale does not include Volume 2 (Disinterred), so it's not quite the "whole thing". It is really good, though, and I highly recommend it along with "Strange Embrace", which is David Hine solo and is also on sale.

On the flip side I'd recommend people stay away from "Hoax Hunters" and "Alpha Girl". I purchased both in earlier sales as the premises are right in my wheel-house, but I found "Hoax Hunters" to be incredibly underwhelming in both the art and writing, while "Alpha Girl" was just awful.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

On the other hand, if you're like me and want to get everything by Ennis in the sale you'll be looking at 105 titles totaling $103.95 plus any taxes you may or may not need to pay. And if there is anyone else looking to do just add everything to your cart, then remove #61-75 of the 2004-2008 series (which is NOT the Jason Aaron run) and #8 or the 2001-2003 series (Ennis didn't write #8-12, but #8 is the only one included in the sale).

If you're totally new to Ennis' Punisher I would suggest the 2000-2001 series which is 12 issues and is commonly referred to as "Welcome Back, Frank" and is Ennis rebooting the franchise. For the Max series, I think Waterhaul hit it square on the head. About the only thing that I would add is that the final arc "Valley Forge, Valley Forge" is my personal favorite, but one reason that I enjoy it so much is that it builds on just about everything that came before it, so you're going to be missing some of the impact if you read that without a pretty good working knowledge of the "mythos".

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

I'm kind of torn on whether to pick up "Fire" from that BMB sale.

On the one hand I quite like Bendis' work (especially the early pre-Marvel stuff) and the subject matter seems to be right in my wheelhouse. But on the other hand I'm trying to cut back on my Comixology spending as it was getting out of control, and ten buck for barely more then 100 black and white pages seems a bit much-especially as the small number of reviews I can find are lukewarm at best.

Anyone have any thoughts?

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

The Kins posted:

New Humble Book Bundle is all Bloom County collections.

Pay $1:
Bloom County: The Complete Digital Library Volumes 1-9 (1980-1989)

Pay The Average Price + $5:
Berkeley Breathed's Opus: The Complete Digital Library - Sunday Comics (2003-2008)
Berkeley Breathed's Outland: The Complete Digital Collection (1989-1995)

This isn't quite right. If you pay the minimum you get Volumes 1-4, you need to beat the average (currently at $17.28) to get Volumes 5-9. And then kick in another $5 is get Opus and Outland.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Anime_Otaku posted:

There's also an Avatar horror sale. 126 issues for £47.99. One thing to note is I already own Fevre Dream and I don't know if that will change the price or number of issues it shows me for the bundle.
https://www.comixology.co.uk/Avatar-Best-of-Horror-Bundle/page/5781?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC90YWJsZXQvbGFyZ2VDYXJvdXNlbA

No, you don't get "credit" for owning issues in a bundle, and they don't hide books you already "own". It does tell you how many of the titles you "own" if you go to the details, though.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Is there any reason to get the Image TPB equivalents over the single issues? Doing some quick math (which I'll admit is not my strong suit) it seems like it's quite often cheaper to get the single issues over the TPBs, and if anything the TPBs have less content.

I'm assuming it's just a weird pricing quirk because digitally the single issue price goes down, but just thought I'd see if there was something else I'm missing.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

The problem is that they have that weird detente with bricks-and-mortar. So dropping prices on back issues is fine, because shops either don't have any more stock, or drop the price themselves on that stuff, but TPBs are always the same price, or at least for a lot longer.

IDW and Boom, I think, are better about that, and normally price their digital trades so they're just barely cheaper than getting the singles.

Well, now you have me paranoid that I've wasted even more money in the past, because I've only noticed it happening with Image books. Sure, you'll frequently get a situation where a collection of 6 books is on sale for $5.99 and the issues are 99¢ a pop, but I'm not going to sweat the extra nickel as I'd prefer to have less files to deal with as Uthor mentioned.

And since I'm venting I also wish Comixology did a better job of describing what are in the collected editions-hell, it's a crap shoot if they'll even identify the issue numbers in the collection, nevermind any bonus content.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Hiro Protagonist posted:

What are the opinions on the Boom! Cthulhu comics that are on sale?

I thought Fall of Cthulhu was decent, and the omnibus is a pretty drat good bargain, over 600 pages for $9.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Rirse posted:

Looks like the DC sale is on everything Fable. I kinda want to buy some since I really enjoyed Wolf Among Us.

I'm kinda in the same boat, so when I noticed that the collection "Werewolves of the Heartland" is only 99¢ rather then the $4.99 that the other collections are, I decided to buy and read that to see if the series holds my interest. Seems like a good idea, especially since the main character is Bigby Wolf and the description indicates this collection is "both an integral part of the Fables mythology and an entry point to the long-running, best selling series."

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Also worth noting is that Netflix does charge more for HD, it's just also tied into the number of "screens" (here meaning simultaneous log-ins), although they do grandfather in old accounts. If you're starting a new account your options are $7.99 for single log-in SD only, $8.99 for two log-ins in HD (when available), or $11.99 for four log-ins in 4K (when available).

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Does anyone know if there is any notable additional content in the Tales Designed to Thrizzle collections over getting the individual issues? I generally prefer collections over individual issues, but the price difference is quite significant.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

onefish posted:

Can someone who's read all of Astro City give some buying advice? Buy everything? Anything completely skippable? Any especially great runs?

Buy and read the original 6 issue (1995-1996) series, see if you like that-or even just check out the first issue which is free.

Beyond that, each series is relatively self-contained; however the real payoff for Astro City is the incredible world building that Busiek has done with it, so each new story helps to increase your understanding and (assuming it turns out to be your kind of thing) appreciation of that world and the characters in it. While I'm sure different people will view certain series as stronger or weaker, each one adds to the mythos, so if you're going to get into it you may as well go whole hog. I guess some of the one-shots are less "important", but at that point I'm not sure the time or money savings is really significant. I guess note that "A Visitor's Guide" is more like a collection of "Extras" then anything else, so you could skip that one.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Syrinxx posted:

Any of this good? I have a pretty big backlog but I am oddly interested in the Hack/Slash crossover

I've read a pretty good chunk of them, and they're competently done books that are fairly faithful to the source material but not particularly inspiring. So, if you're a fan of the Evil Dead and want some more goofy adventures of Ash it's okay, but I wouldn't expect anything more than that.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

I think there's some kind of SNAFU on Comixology's end on that IDW mini series sale, according to the banner ad the sale starts tomorrow, and the only titles showing a discount are those that are also part of the Halloween sale.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Anime_Otaku posted:

Also, has anyone read Garth Ennis' War Stories?

I'm a huge Ennis fan, and the original run of War Stories that was originally published by DC (the two collected editions) is one of my favorite things that he's done.

Also worth noting for anyone planning on purchasing these, there's also a bundle of all the books not listed on the sale page that is a couple bucks cheaper then buying them individually-$24.99 for the bundle versus $29.86 individually.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Shakenbaker posted:

My god is this annoying as hell. I've got 64 gigs of space comixology and I buy comics! Let me use it! :argh:

Yes, it is. I cheaped out on my last phone purchase and got a stripped down Moto G figuring that I can just use the SD card for comics, but it only moves to the virtual SD card so I'm lucky if I can fit two small TPB sized collections before running out of space.

unl33t fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 30, 2015

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Any recommendations on the Star Wars collections discounted for May the 4th?

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Uthor posted:

Almost all of this is great! (haven't read Satellite Sam, but hear good things)

Is anyone getting comiXology emails? I haven't gotten a promotional email from them in quite a while, over a month at least. They would send out a few a week announcing current sales. I'd at least expect one about comiXology Unlimited.

I'm still getting emails from them pretty much daily, definitely got one announcing Unlimited.

Satellite Sam seemed to be a pretty by the numbers Chaykin book despite the fact that Fraction wrote it, it really didn't seem remarkably different than another series of Black Kiss or The Shadow.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Zachack posted:

There is also a 75% off Avatar comics right now, too, for all of your horsecock needs.

As distasteful as so much of Avatar comes across, what's good? I've read my fill of Crossed (including Moore's 100 arc) and thought God is Dead to be poor. I bought all of Uber (giving it another chance), Providence, Fashion Beast, Cinema Purgatorio, and Supergod (kinda remember liking this way back and it's dirt cheap). Is there anything else in that messy pile worth reading?

Ennis' War Stories is really good if you like WWII stories-the collected editions are actually reprints of the DC miniseries that was put out in the early 00's, then the ongoing are new stories.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Is anyone familiar with what the supplemental materials are in The Dark Knight Saga: Deluxe Edition? Best I've been able to find is that it's the same as the Absolute edition. I 'm going to pick up Strikes Again but I noticed that it's only $2 more to get the Saga Deluxe Edition-I already have Dark Knight Returns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Rincewinds posted:

Humble Bundle have a couple of dozens of 2000AD books in one of their bundles, mostly Judge Dredd related stuff.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/judge-dredd-perps-punks-partners-2000ad-books

I picked this up and installed Perfect Viewer along with the Source Plug In, is there some way to sych reading location on multiple devices? I thought that I had seen that as one of the functions as I was looking into what reader app to use, but I can't figure out how to make it work. If it's not available with Perfect Viewer is there another Android reader that has that?