Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Great OP.

I've used Comic Zeal and Flow before and they do the job but after a while I gave up on using non guided view on tablets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

SALE TIME

Moon Knight is today's Marvel's sale. Ends at 11pm EST tonight. The Huston run was well liked around BSS despite the Finch art and a good jump on point if you want to know more about the character. The Bendis/Maleev run is...interesting. It's got some good Maleev art but I didn't really like the changes Bendis made and the treatment of Echo in the series. Mileage may vary and I think the first issue is a good example of what to expect from it.

Boom Originals Sale running until Monday. I was trade waiting on Six Gun Gorilla but since it's on sale... It's Si Spurrier and Jeff Stokely so good stuff.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

The thing with the Bendis run is that Echoes death really bothers me and kind of ruins the series for me.

Aphrodite posted:

He launches today in Marvel Heroes. Nice timing.

All leading up to his new series next Wednesday.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Monday's Marvel Sale is Wolverine and the X-Men and Wolverine and the X-Men: Alpha and Omega.

click

Alpha and the Omega is not essential reading but despite it getting marred with a lot of crossovers I would suggest that anybody that likes fun comics to give the first issue of Wolverine and the X-Men a shot. And #17 should be compulsory for everybody that posts in BSS.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

The password reset functionality worked for me earlier. Though now I get an error page whenever I try to read anything and the comics I redeemed on Marvels site yesterday haven't appeared.

Hopefully it's not a similar situation as when they tried to give out a bunch of free Marvel #1s and the site was basically down for a week.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Comixology all seems to be working fine for me now so thankfully their outage wasn't as bad as last time.

Fear Itself sale is on which is :siren:a terrible book not worth even the reduced price :siren: but it also includes tie-ins and as such some of Kieron Gillen/Dougie Braithwaite's Journey into Mystery which is well worth the money.

So y'know if you have any interest in Loki you should give them a read.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Ghost Rider sale on today.

Volume 6 #20 is where Aaron takes over and is what you want to read, that everybody wants to read, and Heaven's on Fire is the follow up mini which finishes his run. It's Grindhouse Ghost Rider and really, really good.

This is just the tip of the :black101: iceberg.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

hadji murad posted:

If I buy Sex Criminals on the web, can I download them from the Comixology app?

I still have #1 and seen that they've restarted with only #5 on the app.

Yes. It's just buying that's disabled, they will show up in your purchased tabs. I've bought plenty of Max/banned from iStore stuff from the web and downloaded without issue on the app.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

The Reverand Me posted:

Is Thor: Mighty Avenger vol. 1 the fun Thor comic from a couple of years ago? It's £1.49 on comixology in the same sale as spider island.

Yeah it is.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

LordPants posted:

If I buy the Shazam collection on comixology will I get that comic with the oft posted fist pump?

I don't know about fist pump panel but if this looks familiar.

then yes.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

From issue #600 if you pretty much ignore everything by Guggenheim you can pick some of the best modern Spider-Man stories. Especially the Sandman, Lizard and Rhino ones.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Not only can you start with Lemire's run you should avoid all nu52 pre Lemire because it's all terrible, not even worth a dollar stuff.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Yeah Winter Solider is good and the Rucka Black Widow is pretty decent too. I didn't really care for the Liu run and the Swierczynski run got cancelled before it got to do anything. Widowmaker is a weird crossover with Hawkeye pre-Hawkguy where they didn't really know what to do with the character.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

PelvicNerve posted:

As expected, the Marvel week-end sale is dedicated to the Winter Soldier.
Basically, the first 42 issues of Bru's Captain America run are at $.99, as well as the 6 Fallen Son issues.

There's also a bundle with all 48 books for $35. Even if you don't care about Fallen Son, that's still cheaper than the separate Cap issues.

Just to reiterate this but when people say Brubaker/Epting have a run on Captain America which redefines the character and what you want to read it is this run. You can ignore the Fallen Son stuff because it's Loeb nonsense but the main run is the definitive modern Captain America run and one of the best comics of the last decade.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

hadji murad posted:

I had most but bought the rest. What came before? It's followed by 600+ until Brubaker leaves, correct?

There is this run then Captain America: Reborn, then 600-619 and then as is the case of Marvel double shipping becomes Captain America & Bucky with Bru only co-writing before being cancelled shortly. Then gets relaunched as Captain America #1 again with Brubaker and McNiven and continues on again until issue #19 when Brubaker drops the book cos he can't keep up with the schedule.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

horsepeen posted:

The Comixology tumblr blog just posted that Amazon is acquiring them.

http://comixology.tumblr.com/post/82316305607/amazon-com-to-acquire-comixology

I'm hoping this leads to less of a drm mess that Comixology is and less occassions when they do a major event and the site goes down for a while, resulting in comics being unavailable.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

The only duds are the Immortal Weapon One Shots (minus the Fat Cobra issue by Jason Aaron and various artists which is arguably the best issue there).

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

I regret that insanity. I wish I could unpurchase some of those free Marvel #1s so I don't have to scroll past them when looking for something to read.

You can archive them, which is what I did for about 90% so I don't have to constantly scroll past things.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Shameless posted:

But by removing the convenience of in-app purchases creators may now be getting a lager slice of a much smaller pie.

Convenience is a big issue, especially with tablet users. Having extra hoops to jump through isn't. A good thing.

Yeah this is going to greatly effect things going forward, especially for smaller/indie publishers. People are going to go to the site to get things they want, not to browse around if they only read stuff on a tablet. That's also ignoring that the main appeal of digital is to make things easier than piracy.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Image just decided to team up with HumbleBundle for some ridiculously cheap comics :stare:

You are looking at some of the best comics of the last year for nothing.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Are you using the US store or the EU? Cos it won't appear in the EU store since it's a $5 credit, not $5 dollar or equivalent in your area.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah he drew a bunch of his early ones.

Torso is outstanding. If you only get one thing from this sale, make it that.

I haven't read Brilliant, though. Is that any good?

No.

I would put both Brilliant and Scarlet down as not really good.

Brilliant is Bendis trying to do Sorkin with woefully miscast (and not great) Bagley art. It's straight up him trying to do a Mark Millar-esque book and capitalize on The Social Network and non of it works.

Scarlet at least has Maleev art (but not his best work) and one of two scenes that manage to capture that early Bendis' feeling but delays have really ruined it.

If anyone is wondering how Bendis became such a major comic book guy I'd suggest reading Fortune and Glory, Goldfish, Torso and Jinx as they are all pretty drat great. I think Bendis works best when he's pushing at noir stylings and these just go all in. Takio is just there. It's a vanity project of making his daughters superheros but I don't think it actually manages to say anything or even be fun enough to work.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

fozzy fosbourne posted:

:supaburn: James Stokoe Godzilla on sale! :supaburn:

Still not available outside the US :negative:

(Everybody that can buy it)

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Anime_Otaku posted:

Sadly just confirmed on Facebook the Viz Manga deal is only for the US and Canada.

Yeah Viz have a good selection of manga but international rights are always a mess.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Rirse posted:

How are the issues in the Young Avengers sale that just started? I heard good things about the most recent series so I might pick it up.

It's good. It's basically what it advertises, young adults going around being superheroes and partying though it starts a bit slow. Definitely worth that price and miles better than any other Young Avengers books.

I'd even say it's just worth it for the moments when McKelvie does stuff like this:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I say this everytime it's one sale but seriously buy Essex County, it's ridiculously good and maybe Lemires best work.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Dont forget the sure to be this weekend TMNT sale!

This weekend?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Marvel 1985 is alright, Millar tones down a lot of his usual nonsense. I'll agree that it does that Amblin feel okay though I really wish they went with the crazy/terrible/awesome picture book idea they were going to do.

Also the real deal is that The Marvels Project is on sale and is great and one of the best (and most underrated) things Brubaker/Epting did at Marvel. Kind of captures some of the magic that Bru did with Phillips on Fatale.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Aug 18, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Avenging is a bit of mess.

1-3 is a fun Wells/Joe Mad story.
4 is Wells stuck with Land though the story is fun.
5 is a good Wells/Yu doing a Cap/Spider-Man team up.
6 is one part of a crossover with Punisher and Daredevil
7 is a cute Immonens story about Peter and She Hulk fighting magic cats
8 is Slott Ends of the Earth nonsense.
9/10 is a Kelly Sue prelude to the Captain Marvel relaunch
11 is a good Pete and Aunt May story with some badly miscast Steve Dillon art.
12/13 is I want to say they gave some SNL guys a book to do what they want.
I didn't read 14/15 because Cullen Bunn.

The rest is Yost doing Spock stuff till it's cancelled so much so that the final Wells/Joe Mad story was moved over to Savage Wolverine.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

The Malakith stuff is very much end game building by Aaron. It's going to come back big time later on in the series.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Uthor posted:

More DRM-free stuff on comiXology. Soon, Marvel, then, much later, DC!
http://comixology.tumblr.com/post/98909847413/drm-free-update-archie-comics-and-alternative

I'd say Disney allowing DRM free comics would be somewhere between 0% and -100% of happening.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

onefish posted:

There's a Comixology "Marvel Collections" sale that's not getting a banner advertisement, as well as a Daredevil: Road Warrior sale.
https://www.comixology.com/Marvel-Collections-Sale/list/4055?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL3NsaWRlclZpZXdBbGw

A real grab bag, but Guardian Devil and Irredeemable Ant-Man 1-6 are included -- either worth reading?

Guardian Devil is terrible, just rebuy Man Without Fear, it's by far the best book there.

Haven't read it but people like Irredeemable Ant-Man back in the day but maybe their opinions of Kirkman have soured that.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

evilemu posted:

Image Horror Sale and The Sixth Gun Sale

Anything in the Image sale worth it? How is The Sixth Gun?

The Bulletproof Coffin owns.

I never really considered it a full on horror comic but it's great stuff.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

:getin:

I just hope it doesn't poo poo itself like when they did their Marvel sale.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Syrinxx posted:

Any good picks from the Wonder Woman sale? Asking for myself and potentially to share with/read to my kids.

Hmmm the Azzarello /Chiang run is really great but I wouldn't call it kid friendly! Same with Kingdom Come. New Frontier though is great and totally good for reading with the kids.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

The new turtle series is good and there are a lot of great creators in there but my understanding of these issues (and someone will correct me if I'm wrong) is that they are mainly just one shots and side stories to the main very good Turtle series that is currently ongoing.

I'm gonna get them all anyway because A) Ross Campbell turtles is always great and b)something based on Turtles in Time can't be all bad.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

When Comixology was bought by Amazon they removed the ability to purchase on the iPhone/iPad app because competition :doom: and other nonsense reasons.

And yes manga and some Dark Horse books have weird rights issues so won't show up in various regions.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

If you do not own Southern Bastards, buy Southern Bastards.

Everybody buy Southern Bastards.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Comixology are doing their 12 days of Christmas with a new free comic every day. Today's is The Wake by Sean Gordon Murphy and Scott Snyder and is well worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Free Jeff Parker/Evan Shaner/Jordie Bellaire Flash Gordon for today.