Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Rhyno posted:

Also no way in hell do we start a new thread without the best drat X-Men moment of the last 5 years

I still prefer:

God I wish Gillen was writing a proper X-book, there's like 20 of them now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Waterhaul posted:

Also All New X-Men #25 is going to have to go down as having the most criminally under-using of so much talent. I don't know how you waste Jill Thompson on a Bendis X book.

It's one of Marvel's top selling books, 1 of 2 books consistently at the top of the sales charts, if you want exposure it's Bendis or it's Slott.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

He came back as a Horseman of Death. He has been neutralized.

Also the earth blew up and it's a time travel story so none of it will stick.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Holy poo poo a Bendis event where he actually managed to stick the landing, too bad he won't be writing any more young Scott for a while, the insane teenage bravado was fun.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Yeah one gigantic hypocrite being lectured by another is not my idea of a good comic, although the Peter and Kitty story almost redeemed it.

I'll be glad to see the end of Uatu though, the cheap gravitas of him showing up and doing nothing is the worst crutch of the Bendis era.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

Yes after thirty odd years of Cyclops swinging back and forth from distrusting to outright hating the Phoenix force it was truly Iron Man who was acting out of character.

To be fair Cyclops main beef with the Phoenix was the threat it represented to his wife, that threat no longer being an issue by AvX. Beast had previously been shown happy to work with his genocidal twin if it meant a chance at reversing the Mutant extinction, Cyclops willingness to work with the Phoenix is hardly any nuttier.

The most out of character actions were really Cap blindly allowing himself to be manipulated into antagonizing rather than working with the world's only Phoneix experts by Logan even after he realized that the latter's real plan all along was to murder a teenager (again).

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

I really liked all new, and then I didn't. It feels like Bendis doesn't want me to enjoy it, also that Bendis wants me to hate Kitty.
I haven't always liked the Bendis Kitty but it seems like she was just doing her mama bear thing this week in a perfectly reasonable way, can't wait until the future brotherhood figures out the major timing snafu in their plan to send the Young X-men back to their original time.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

It was walking pretty close to the line but the point of the scene seemed to be to underline that it would never, ever happen.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Gavok posted:

Ah, my bad. Still, I absolutely hated the over-the-top depiction of Victor compared to Saul, who looked pretty much like Tyler Mane Sabretooth with a knit cap.

I was wrong about the name thing, but in spirit it was the same idea.

I'd have forgiven that series a lot if the last page reveal had been that Clara was pregnant with the real Sabretooth (and Logan never figures it out), would have been a neat tie in with their original planned origin.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Wasn't Mystique appearing as Moira when giving birth? They call her Mctaggard so I assume at some point Mystique as Moira had sex with Xavier.

Probably how Raze was conceived as well. Mystique appeared to Wolverine as Squirrel Girl or Spiral, and 9 months later, a really evil mutant popped out.

It's explicitly set a year ago (and sort of suggested that it's happening at the same time as, or slightly after, the climax of AvX). Bendis plays very fast and loose with the Marvel sliding timescale but I doubt he's suggesting Moira was supposed to be alive a year ago in comic book time. Also Xavier should be kind of difficult to fool in that way, not sure on whether or not Wolverine can sniff out Mystique.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Whoops, how could I forgot Wolverines past romances? I don't think anyone in marvel has had healthy relationships, even Cap.

Luke Cage and Jessica Jones seem okay.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

And Wolverine only abandoned his students in the Savage Land that one time.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Wolverine has always been the "don't kill, don't live your life by violence, because I know how it hurts your soul" kind of moralizer in the Xmen. It makes perfect sense that he'd be against militarizing the school.

Wolverine ran a black ops squad that employed a couple of teenagers including his surrogate daughter/sister said squad later murdered a child. After the whole schism thing he also orchestrated the Avengers Vs. X-men conflict so he could attempt to murder another innocent teenager.

Schism is okay but righteously indignant Wolverine is terrible, I'd have bought the schism a lot more if Storm or anyone with a little credibility had been the moral centre.

DynamicSloth fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 22, 2014

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Heroes fighting heroes goes back a hell of a lot longer than 10 years and it is one of the better classic tropes, because fighting moustache twirling villains gets real old real quick, the problem with Civil war and Schism though is that many writers have a lot of difficulty allowing moral ambiguity where both sides have a point to persist in their funny books and we get stupid poo poo like fascist Tony Stark demanding teenagers be drafted into a paramilitary units and Scott Summers saying he no longer believes in Xavier's dream of coexistence.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Heroes Vs heroes as some constant thing is basically ten years old. The old way almost always involved a wacky misunderstanding of some sort. Which usually was resolved in that issue.

That didn't make it any less constant, they'd just end up in another wacky misunderstanding next issue, the difficulty then as now is coming up with a compelling reason for the heroes to throw down.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Well in the vast majority of media Cyclops is still portrayed as hopelessly square, it's baffling to me that anyone would prefer that version of the character.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

corillon posted:

Super tactical leader Cyclops is my favorite. I guess he could be considered hopelessly square but I like that character. Given his training Cyclops should be the best field leader.

Cyclops the way he is written currently seems like a try hard.

Being good at tactics isn't a personality trait, any iteration of the character can be good at tactics, I'm talking about the 90s cartoon/movie version of Cyclops most of the public is familiar with, neither of which are particularly competent at anything other than complaining that Wolverine is a loose cannon.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Emma a very attractive woman in her what early 30s? Has maybe slept with a half dozen extremely successful and attractive, nigh demi-gods, before the start of her stable long term relationship, this makes her a slut?

You guys got some issues.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Cyclops plan was essentially what ended up happening, prepare Hope and pray she doesn't gently caress up and maybe she'll even undo what Wanda done hosed up.

The Avengers plans were to kidnap/murder a teenager and when that didn't work have Iron Man fire a very big gun at the Phoenix. They're as responsible for what happened to Xavier as anyone.

Also Cyclops' time travelling son specifically told him not to trust the Avengers with Hope.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

I am not sure if it was mentioned in the main book, but I know that in one of them they said their plan was not to kill Hope it was to bring her off planet so when the Phoenix came it would not destroy the planet. It was only Wolverine who wanted to kill at first then changed his mind. In a way their plan did work as they did bring Hope off planet and that made it possible for her to learn how to contain it.
K'un Lun isn't off planet, and when Wolverine took her to the moon it was plainly not far enough to escape the Phoenix force, which you know, lives in space. The plan they went with was plainly Cyclops original suggestion (trust Hope and train her with Phoenix experts), which they would have gone with in the first place if Cap hadn't let himself be misled by a child murderer whose real motivation was murdering a child.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

As event comics go I don't think AvX was that bad. Admittedly this is a very low bar for me, exceeded because AvX managed to do a few fun things in spite of the character assassination and easy out of an ending. The Phoenix Five was a great twist that somehow wasn't spoiled months in advance, crab whales are also fun and so is smashing your toys together. It's nothing brilliant though and Gillon's wrap up was better than anything in the main series.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

How could you miss the torrid romance of Kitty Pride and totally not a self-insert Starlord?
When Bendis self inserts himself into a relationship with Kitty Pryde it's a lot less subtle than that.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

radlum posted:

I just read the Uncanny issue this week. I just want some fallout from the whole Incursions in New Avengers and Beast to get exposed as the hypocrite and idiot he is and expelled from the school.
Beast has been a huge hypocrite for a loooong time. The same Beast who loves to holier than thou Scott for starting X-Force and going too far to reverse M-day now works for the same guy who ran X-force for Scott (and planned and executed the murder of a child after Scott tried to disband the team) and happily cooperated with the Joseph Mengele of mutants during his own failed effort to reverse M-Day.

Despite knowing all about the Age of Apocalypse and how that started he also thought it would be a smart move to rip the founding members of the X-men from the early days of the team to teach Cyclops a lesson.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

Yeah that's not how that happened no matter how many time you say it or write it down in your secret Cyclops love diary.
Not sure how any of that makes Cyclops look good, he's pretty culpable for X-Force's actions as well since it started as his idea.

But what part are you claiming didn't happen? Beast breaking with Cyclops over X-force. Cyclops ostensibly disbanding X-Force. Wolverine continuing X-force on the down low or as the author put it:

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Ugh I actually preferred Wanda when Bendis crazieafied her, at least she had some agency, all she does in UA is stumble from being the macguffin for one Supervillain's evil scheme to another Supervillain's evil scheme all the while haughtily (and endlessly) repeating her silly retcon.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Knucklebear posted:

I really wish that Marvel would make a one character per book rule. I know that it won't happen because of money but a boy can dream...
There is really no reason to be reading DC or Marvel comic books if you don't get the appeal of a shared universe.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

HorseRenoir posted:

Honestly, I feel like the last decade or two of Cyclops has made me go from being indifferent about him to actively hating his presence. I feel like Cyclops has fallen victim to the Aquaman Effect, where a character gets poo poo on for so long that an entire generation of writers has made it their mission to overcompensate and show why Cyclops should be taken seriously.
Uhh Aquaman's problem is that he was always a terrible character that just happened to be the pet favourite of the DC editor at the time Justice League was created and so he ended up shoe horned into Superfriends and by necessity of that horrible compact is forever cursed upon future generations.

Cyclops just has the problem where half the writer's poo poo on him and a couple write him well (but no one as good as Gillen used to.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

A thirty-five year old Billionaire being alive 85 years from now ain't even really science fiction, although becoming sorcerer supreme probably came with some perks anyway.

I didn't have any problem with the annuals or the last Uncanny, a time travel reversal is fine if it comes one panel later as opposed to after several issues of go nowhere continuity (*cough* Remender or you know Bendis in AoU).

I really dislike his interpretation of sliding time though and hope it doesn't catch on, i.e. the All New X-Men Annual posits the Fantastic Four fought Galactus in 1966.

• Locked thread