Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

twistedmentat posted:

This is true, but then Scott is in a weird place right now lady wise. Wait until he finds out about his younger selfs thing for X-23.

Speaking of that, I do love the brief interactions Jean and Rachael have had.

Aren't they shunting young Scott off to a solo book where he has space adventures with his dad? Scott and X-23 reminds me a lot of when young Jean and young Hank kissed, made a great cover and was a good comic when looked at individually, but Bendis hasn't really followed up on it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Allegedly Crain used an underage model at one point so he's been blacklisted from Marvel.

For something erotic, or just in general, because if it's the first, good, but the second seems a little harsh.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Chinaman7000 posted:

So instead they bring back teenage Jean so EVERYONE can kinda lust after a teenager.

In Bendis' defense, it's only been other teenagers lusting after teen age Jean Grey.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Genetic Toaster posted:

and teenagers lusting after adult Cyclops.

Well, yeah, he's ripped as hell and has that bad boy thing going on.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

You know, the whole Sabertooth/Wolverine thing was a lot more interesting when we didnt know the facts. Remember when we all thought Sabertooth was Wolverine's dad?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cabbit posted:

She's supposed to be Wolverine old, right? Maybe she's just getting bored now.

It's a good way to kill nine months.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rick posted:

Man, AoA was really painful as a kid with ten buck a week allowance. I was skipping lunch to buy comics and I still only was able to get one or two issues of the side stuff.

It's definitely not the only reason, but the fact that kids can't afford to buy their own comics is a huge factor in kids not buying comics. I got into Spider-Man when it had as many titles as X-men and if it weren't for fact that my dad foolishly bought into the comic boom there's no way my parents would have been willing to pay that much a month to keep up with them (Clone Saga).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SALT CURES HAM posted:

It's kind of a wash, though, because so many comics nowadays are massively kid-unfriendly and not really kept separate from the kid-friendly ones in comics stores that a kid buying comics for him/herself might end up picking out something like Saga or Punisher MAX and causing no small amount of parental uproar.

Seriously, I kinda take it for granted being a 19-year-old but my friendly neighborhood comics shop had Saga right next to a Transformers comic in the indie section. Definitely a situation that requires either very attentive comic shop owners or parental accompaniment (in which case why not just have the parents buy the drat things anyways).

Well good shops will have employees point kids towards appropriate comics they'd like. Rhyno had a great story about selling a little girl Ms. Marvel, She-hulk and a third comic I cant remember at a loss (or at least less than retail) just to encourage young readers.

I do think a good comic shop should have a shelf for the 12ish and under that's prominent.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

anticake posted:

My LCBS has a sign that says unaccompanied children under 16 are flat out not welcome in the shop. I guess that's one way to solve that problem.

They are solving the wrong problem.

Don't get me wrong, the other issue with kids is that they will steal in a loving heartbeat, so I understand having that sign up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

This is totally off-topic but the recent, mainline TF stuff is not for kids at all either. Some of it still is, but a great deal of it is about politics, survivor's guilt and PTSD coupled with scenes of torture, organ harvesting, lobotomies, body mutilation as a political motivated punishment and various other bits of nightmare fuel.

I haven't read Saga but I imagine it isn't too far from it in terms of maturity.

Saga also has a decent amount of cursing, nudity, and fairly explicit sex scenes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

Sam is one of those good, well rounded b or c-list characters where writers just forget to care and write them completely out of current characterization. Wasn't he on the team that worked for Pete Wisdom and did a bunch of gnarly black ops poo poo even? His resume is pretty drat respectable, but no one ever remembers.

edit: Oh and Age of X is drat excellent, it is sort of a AU where some of it matters and it is one of the best Legion stories. Probably my favorite Rogue story, and I sort of wish Frenzy was still hanging around with Cyclops but I guess Bendis didn't want to follow up on that.

Does have the alternate timeline version of Pixie slipping in one of the dirtiest lines in a comic, but "Nightmare" might annoy people anyway.

What's the line?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

This man is saying goth is better than disco. I mean, they're both bad, but at least disco has some endearing cheesiness to it.

Also nobody loving cares about the wonky timeline.

Plus Disco was actually still relevant as a pop culture phenomenon when Dazzler first appeared

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Battle of the Atom isn't bad per se, it's just a story that could have been easily told in 2 or 3 issues instead of 10. But thats an argument you can through at a bunch of x events.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Battle of the Atom gave us Ice Gandalf and Colossus with a mustache, which goes a long way in justifying itself, but it's a story that should have been told in 2 or 3 issues, not 10.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

d00gZ posted:

(Teen Titans v3 #69)

I have neither a face nor a hand big enough for the face palm this deserves.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

This is actually a good example of the double standards we apply to men and women. Emma Frost is a slut because she's slept with a bunch of people, including Tony Stark and Namor. What do we call Tony Stark and Namor?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Claremontium

Claremont is the comic book equivalent of Eckhart's line in The Dark Knight "You eiither die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Also, shouldn't it be "Claremontian" if it's an adjective? Claremontium sounds like it's one of the missing spots from the periodic table.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Quentin makes me a little sad, because I don't think he's ever going to be the phoenix. There will continue to be a bazillion issues where some future version of Quentin is the phoenix, but there isn't going to be a book where he becomes the phoenix and that is now the new status quo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

HorseRenoir posted:

WATXM is officially getting retooled as Spider-Man and the X-Men in December. The book is being written by Elliott Kalan from the Daily Show, which seems like a big step up from Latour's really mediocre run right now.

That seems kinda silly, it made sense for Johnny Storm's will to include "Spider-Man should totally be on the team," they were peers and friendly rivals with a long history together. I know Spider-Man and Wolverine have teamed up and were on the Avengers together, but Spider-Man once threw Wolverine off of Stark Tower for calling MJ dumb, I don't think they had the same relationship.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Things I like:

- Spider-Man
- Rockslide
- Stegron the Dinosaur Man
- No Quentin Quire

This book might as well just be marketed directly to me.

Quentin Quire is dope.

I will admit Amazing Spider-Man and Wolverine is also dope. Those other bits about Spidey and Wolverine I wasn't aware of.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Diet Poison posted:

4)The X-Men fly in their plane and Beast tells them that for real this is the scariest potential enemy ever.

As someone not reading X-Men but is reading New Avengers, I have to assume Beast is talking about himself and his secret club. (I know he's not, because I know that's not how X-men and Avengers work).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The first X-men I read had "If you only buy 1 X-book this month, buy this one" on the cover and it was the middle of an arc, there were no action scenes and a sick kid died. Put me off X-men for a while until Gen-X launched. Anyone know what that was, it was sometime during the humongous and humongously terrible Spider-Man Clone Saga, because that was the first time I was going to the comic stand every week.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 23, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

WickedHate posted:

I don't know what black lips and white lips look like, but is it Greg Land? They do not give a gently caress that the person they trace even looks like the character.

Black people tend to have fuller lips then white people. A bunch of people thought Lex Luthor was black in the 90's cartoon because of how his lips were drawn, despite the fact that his skin is exactly the same color as Superman's.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Didn't during Civil War Scott and Logan were watching all the poo poo go down and go "Wow that shits hosed, up, glad we aren't involved".

Well, Civil War happened when the last 200 mutants were all living on basically a reservation and the main conflict was registering with the government, something of a moot point when you're already in what's basically an internment camp.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ponsonby Britt posted:

There's also the Hellfire Club, which was explicitly about upper-class mutants.

That would be an interesting story - mutants as a metaphor for Native Americans, instead of black people.

Hey, let's be fair, ever since Grant Morrison and the X-Men 2 movie, they're clearly a metaphor for the gays.

Edit: Thinking about it, Claremont's X-Men is post Stonewall and he made Night Crawler a regular member, I think he may have unintentionally started it. (Seriously, you know Kitty's unfortunate use of the n-word, replace "mutie" in those sentences "fag" or "human being")

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 15, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Senor Candle posted:

When did annuals do that?

In the early days of Marvel, annuals would have 1 original story and a couple reprints, but they never really did that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I think Bendis has turned into a non-pervy (or less pervy) Claremont, where we'll always fondly remember his great stuff, but his name on a book is starting to become a reason not to read it, instead of a must buy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

What was the Hickman Avengers reveal about where the X-Men were ending up? I remember reading it, but it's been awhile and I don't have the issue handy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Cyclops is running "X-Nation" and is at least talking with Beast again. It was like two pages.

Ahh, right, I knew it was short, that's why I couldn't remember it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TwoPair posted:

I would say Legacy was good from the start but that's just me talkin'.

I didn't start reading legacy right away, but when I caught up with it the beginning didn't seem weak.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

UniqueLikeMonique posted:

Oh alright, thanks I understand now. Wasn't trying to be creepy with it, there's a certain style of obscene humor I was going for but I think I didn't achieve it properly. Those were the best I could manage so I don't think this superhero sex humor is the right of me. Thanks for the assessment.

You're a weird and creepy dude.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TwoPair posted:

No, that justification was "They were all there at the time and eh why not be a team?"

That's how New Avengers (and the original Avengers now that I think about it) started. Makes about as much sense as anything.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

Miles and Jean should totes be best buds when he finally ends up on 616, and maybe it's good thing he's going there too because at this rate there won't be anyone left on Ultimate Earth who hasn't seen his face, he's unmasked more than a movie actor playing Spider-Man even. Also, Bobby's constant dissing of Bobby was great.

That was Ultimate Peter's problem too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

I think they already said it'll be a rotating guest star. Spidey is only around for the first 5 or so issues.

Will it be the same creative team?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I would totally read a comic about Scott and Alex running a Pizza place.

2 mutants, a girl and a pizza place.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I don't think Annihilation really counts as a crossover, since none of the books involved were being published before it.

They had four minis for characters that hadn't been seen in years, then the main Annihilation comic. (Seriously, pre Annihilation when was the last time you saw Silver Surfer?)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah it definitely occupies some sort of fuzzy grey area.

it serves as a really interesting (and obviously way better) counterpoint to Civil War, which was going on at the same time iirc.

Yeah it was. If you haven't, you should check out the Annihilation What If where they don't stop the wave before it get's to Earth and Richard Rider shows up in the middle of Civil War and is basically like, "What the gently caress are you idiots doing, we have real poo poo to deal with." It also ends on a nice note Cap and Iron Man and maybe Nova too make a final stand on the moon, dying, but managing to hold off the wave long enough for some weapon to activate saving the galaxy.

Comics would be a lot better in general if Annihilation had sold as well as Civil War had.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

, Cap 3 is "alright, we've already done two of the big Captain America stories, what should we do for the third one?"

I really wish the answer had been "the one where Ronald Reagan turns into a snake. "

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Len posted:

I checked the OP and didn't see an answer. I have never read an Xmen comic before but have Marvel Unlimited where's a good place to start?

Claremont's run is classic, but if you aren't used to the earlier, prose heavy, style of comics writing it can be pretty dense.

Contrary to mr grumpy pants above me Morrison's New X-Men and Whedon's Astonishing are both excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Shockeh posted:

For me, the recent history author tier list is still....

Whedon
Carey
Gillen
Claremont
My own fanfiction (Which notably, does not actually exist)
Collaborative Forum Star Trek / X-Men Crossover Erotica Fan Fiction
The FOX Movies
Bendis

There's a highly disturbing lack of Morrison on here even if you're one of those idiots who don't like his X-Men he's important enough to be on the list

• Locked thread