Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Speaking of the Trial of Jean Grey, has there only been 1 All new and 1 GoG issue released in that storyline? It feels like forever since they came out.
Two of each.

ANXM - 22
GotG - 11
ANXM - 23
GotG - 12

The first two issues had almost no interactions between the teams except on the last page, so you might thinking correctly if you don't count those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Dude, I liked Uncanny X-Men way more than I have liked most issues of it. I'm not sure why, I can't put my finger on any reason why I liked it.

In WatX, was that Hellion with Rockslide and Idie who were the only X-students who defended the school? I can't believe Anole would let Rockslide go without him. I just dropped X-Men, but I will need to pick it back up if there is a Rockslide/Anole teamup.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I want to like X-Force. I thought Fantomex's bad french would be a tipoff. But the Fantomex said "le infiltration" and Betsy corrected him to "la infiltration." Is that supposed to mean his French is bullshit? I ask because it should really be "l'infiltration". I'm just a little confused, and Fantomex's accent is the one thing really putting me off of the book.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Isn't there a spare Wolverine running around from the end of Best There Is or something?
I don't know about that. Exiles Wolverine (latest Exiles) is around and I think Albert (the robot who is friends with Elsie Dee) is still alive. Right?

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Diet Poison posted:

I honestly kept forgetting I was reading an X-book until the end. I noticed Nemesis' first appearance but Cable and Marrow went right over my head.
Yeah, I really liked X-Force this week too. I hated the early issues, but this has been really great.

Other X-news this week: Kid Apocalypse and Quentin Quire showed up in Deadpool, it was pretty funny, but also kind of sweet (which has been Deadpool's tone for a while). I hated they way they were both drawn, but oh well.

I really enjoyed X-Men and was surprised. Then I realized there was a new writer. I meant to drop it after the Rockslide/Anole back up ended, but I'm glad I didn't .

Speaking of Rockslide, I wasn't expecting him to show up in Amazing, but I loved that too.

Uncanny/All-New haven't been my jam lately, but now everything else is shaping up.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Stagger_Lee posted:

Yeah, Magik doesn't have a lot of solo focus, but just reading that Claremont New Mutants run will get you a lot of her and also a lot of really good comics. The run with Sienkiewicz on art (Demon Bear, etc.) are some of my favorite comics.

Probably the biggest role on a larger stage she ever took was in Inferno, which might be worth reading if you're interested in an early historical instance of incredibly messy crossover nonsense.
Yeah, I'm a pretty big fan of Magik, and I can tell you about everything she is in or worth reading:

Magik: Storm & Illyana
New Mutants (She doesn't show up until New Mutants Classic Volume 2, but it might be worth it to just start with New Mutants Classic Volume 1) A few people on here have talked about New Mutants being their favorite superhero run, and I think I agree - lasts until Classic Volume 7 I think, and you could probably skip from there to:
X-Men Inferno - kind of a Magik centric event, not the best comic, but I didn't hate it
New X-Men Quest for Magik (Collected in New X-Men Childhood's End Volume 5 (wow this is selling for a lot on Amazon, not terribly important))
New Mutants Volumes 1-3 by Zeb Wells - Also really, really good, probably better if you have read New Mutants classic
Fear Itself X-Men (Unlike New Mutants and New X-Men bad art, but still good, really, really fun)
Uncanny X-Men Volume 1-4 (by Kieron Gillen) (Really good, continuation from Fear Itself X-Men)
Avengers versus X-Men Consequences kind of finishes Gillen's Uncanny X-Men and sets up:
Uncanny X-Men (Brian Michael Bendis) - coming out right now, I'm not the biggest fan of it

Edit: Volumes 1-3 of New Mutants by Zeb Wells, not DnA!

Fritzler fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 19, 2014

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

RevKrule posted:

The new New Mutants from 2009 starts with Zeb Wells bringing back Illyana. It's some of the best X comics of the past 5 years. He goes all out on it and really gets in touch with the characters. This run also brings back Legion and starts his fixing process.

There are two quality dips, when he has to contend with the Second Coming crossover and the last arc feels a bit rushed. Otherwise this seriously is a book everyone should've read.

DnA do a serviceable job afterwards and have some great moments (the Magma goes on a date issue is loving classic) but the second half of the series never hits the stride that Wells had.

Honestly, before this, all I had heard of from Wells was his Robot Chicken work, afterward, I will pick up anything that man writes; I still haven't been disappointed.
Wait yes, I totally lied. It is Zeb Wells New Mutants, not DnA and Andy Lanning! I'm editing my post. I hope you see this before you order!

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

RevKrule posted:

The Dan and Andy New Mutants isn't bad like I said, it's just a huge quality step down from Wells who knocks it out of the park. And again, one of my fave issues is the Magma date issue (one of the best one and dones in recent memory). However, they don't deal as much with Illyana and her poo poo, the more deal with team dynamic and missions.
I know and I agree, but the guy was specifically asking about Magik, who isn't really in DnA's, except in that first issue or two.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Was the last time we saw Exodus he was in the X-Men's Utopia jail? He's clearly not there any more since Danger was controlled by Unit/no one is at Utopia, but how does that lead to him working for S.H.I.E.L.D.? Has he ever done anything other than Brotherhood stuff before? I'm just curious, I really don't know much about him.

Also for New Mutants fans, big life update to Cannonball in today's Avengers, and the Sunspot/Cannonball moments were fun, as they always are in Avengers.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Starsnostars posted:

It's not like characters haven't been trying to get in a relationship with her.

Yeah, I could think of that, and in the original New Mutants she danced with Empath at the Massachusetts Academy's dance, but only to threaten him and say if he hurt Amara she would kill him. Not much else.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

Real world or not, actually switching peoples sexuality by mind control would be a million times worse than anything Bendis could write. And I'm not going into a people should or shouldn't be offended, that's for people to decide themselves.

For this story If you remove the mind reading part lots of people have actually had the "you're not bi, you're gay" conversation and visa versa, whether coming out of their own free will or being forced too. Jean is being pushy, nosey and invading his privacy and she's also doing what she considers to be the best for her friend because she sees him hurting himself.
Yeah, I see what you're saying. I haven't read the issue yet, full disclosure, but from the summaries I have read I don't have the biggest problem. My one concern is that DEPENDING on what they do with current Bobby, or if current Iceman is straight and past Iceman gay or one is bi or whatever, that they're kind of saying people aren't born with their sexuality, but instead it is decided by factors when they grow up. This is something I, and hopefully other people, would have a big problem with. I dunno, I'll read along and see.

I don't have a problem with an established character being gay. I have a problem with 2 versions of a character that are supposed to be the same person, and they have wildly different sexualities.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Tyma posted:

Any recommendations for a run with some good Illyana stories? I've gone back and read her origins, but I don't like the 1980s 'characters narrate to themselves all the time' style of storytelling, so I'm hoping to read some of her more modern stuff.
For modern stories that are good, there aren't a lot:

Zeb Wells' New Mutants Run
Gillen's Uncanny X-Men (the relaunch/extinction team)
Gillen's AvX Consequences

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

All of that is Claremont, though. Claremont seeing through bad writing and fixing it on his side, so there would be some consistency. He still had the touch at the time.

Most of the original X-Factor's plotting was pretty bad, no joke, the start being the worst.
Yeah. When Jean came back in Fantastic Four/Avengers they tell her Magneto is running the school and the X-Men are basically evil. Remember that due to the retcon - Jean would have actually spent very little time with any of them (only from Giant Size to the issue with the space ship). Iceman/Angel/Beast never liked the new X-men much (especially Angel). Cyclops is the only one who actually knows them, and he is kind of losing his goddamn mind. Other than Cyclops, they all know the fantastic four/avengers better and trust them more, so they pretty much take their words for it.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

From what I got from X-men, is that Scott knows Rachael is his daughter from an alternative timeline, but him being Scott Summers, has no ability to talk about it with her. Not that he's around that much, I mean, he's off with Maddy for most of Rachael's appearance then with X-factor.
You mentioned Rachel and Miles, I only remember this cuz they talked about it recently. It's implied that Scott knows at the end of the Asgardian crossover, but doesn't want to make Rachel talk about it if she doesn't want to. Next time we see them interact it's "I can't tell him, etc" and when Scott is told he is totally shocked.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's a proud X-Men tradition, going back to the days when Xavier would go, "To me, my X-Men! Cerebro has detected a mutant who will surely be our most deadly challenge yet!" then it turned out to be Blob or the Vanisher or Unus the Untouchable.
The Vanisher one is so crazy, because he is such a badass that the original X-Men can't do anything to him. Professor X has to come out to stop him in the original story. And now he is just a joke. The original X-Men were not good at their jobs.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Unmature posted:

Comic writers are usually hired to write a thing rather than buying a script from someone. And if they're pitching to a publisher they have to have an artist with some finished art in the pitch. At least with all the submission guidelines I've seen.
Wasn't there an Adam Warren plot that he originally pitched to Marvel for Storm, meant to use for some other weather character (Rainmaker I assume), and then finally used it in Empowered? I heard that, but don't know how true it is.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

TwoPair posted:

That is a great ending, but I can never get over how batshit that Captain Marvel twist is. It's like... goddamn Alan Original Writer what the gently caress.
I just read it too. I think it's kind of brilliant, but also shows why we'll never have that book in real life. Man, its just as much of a John Jonnz twist, and I love that. It's great.

Poor Constantine.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

That is the one where they fight Dracula so him getting blessed makes sense I guess,
Yeah. Somewhere in X-Men 1-6 by Gischler. Not a great comic, but I liked the idea of Bobby becoming holy water to fight vampires and the crew of mutants they made that can't be bitten (Rockslide, Husk, etc.)

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Nightcrawler kissed Rachel Grey once. That was weird, and everyone forgot about it like everything else Claremont did when he came back.

I forgot that Firestar and Cannonball had a thing, I guess Cannonball just had a thing with a lot of ladies.

Also Legion and Blindfold's relationship is forgotten by most people!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

They have know each other a long time and who hasn't Nightcrawler hit on?
I mean, in Excalibur i don't think he ever flirted with her or kitty, just the taken Meggan all the time

After being on team together for so long, the fact that she kissed him too is weird.

• Locked thread