Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

triplexpac posted:

Yeah, I hear you. I feel like it started strong, with Cyclops running around throwing up Xs and pissing off Shield, but lately I don't know what their point is.

They're decompressing.

WatX was a solid book. No frills, just a good cast hitting their character beats strong. No bullshit subplots or villains. I'm glad I stuck around for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Banshee came back in Necrosha.

Say, why didn't Jean come back that time?

It was a can of worms that'd have taken over the event.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Are they trying to make him all serious?

He's supposed to be the new millenium Gambit. He's supposed to be fun.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah I would have gone with Storm and the X-Men but I don't think that's a title Marvel would put out but Nightcrawler having a solo book, a team book and taking another would make him a perfect Wolverine replacement :v:

Why not? If they're taking a chance with a solo Storm book, tacking on "and the X-Men" might attract fans of the other X-Men. Put Rockslide and Anole in there, and you'd have BSS reading it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

I am pretty sure the whole reason he used the time poo poo in the first place is so he could have an easy way to put all his toys back in the box at the end.

Nah, he did time poo poo because the original five X-Men are a great group of teen heroes. Spider-Man has always been pretty youthful even as an adult, but the core X-Men grew up way too fast.

Maybe they will go back at some point, but I wouldn't mind if they stuck around, and the time travel stuff became a footnote.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Cabbit posted:

Isn't Bendis at his best writing Ultimate Spidey? Maybe this is the secret ingredient that will rocket his X-Men run to new heights!

I've been dieing for a All New X-Men/ Ultimate Spider-Man team up since All New was announced. This may be peak Bendis.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

My memory is very hazy of AoA, but I have every issue, and don't really remember much being bad. Don't really remember much being great either. Amazing X-Men and Generation neXt kind of stand out as the better ones.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

X Necrosha is pretty good if you like gritty, stabby X-Force in all black and gray. Personally, I didn't care for it much, but it had its moments.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

During AvX he got wrecked by the Phoenix five.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Boogaleeboo posted:

He's kind of a one note character, and I don't think there's anything they can do to meaningfully kick him up from B-list. And hell, WatX is keeping him hanging on to B-list by a thread.

He's like the main character of the book. He's solid B-list, and only time will decide if he can endure long enough to make it to the A-list.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

They do do all that. Even heard a radio ad talking about All New X-Factor and Moon Knight. Comics just aren't the boyhood staple they used to be.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

That, and sometimes you can tell when a writer is given a juicy assignment that he'd be a fool to turn down, but just can't deliver.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Don't know who the writer is, but that's a great idea.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Are you talking about captions or editors notes?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Skipped Death of Wolverine, but the latest Wolverine and the X-Men was nice.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Psychlone posted:

I'm reading Nova and he just had a crossover with the X-Kids. Problem is, none of them were identifies and I have no idea who they are. One girl had antlers and talked to trees. Another guy was really tall and had what looked like a rooster's comb on his head. Who are these people?

Nature Girl and Kid Gladiator, son of Gladiator.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

IUG posted:

I stopped reading most X-Books when Bendis took over, and I'm not reading Axis at all. But if Evan turned Apocalypse as was foreshadowed because of the Axis events, then I'll be happy. Because I didn't want them to bring back Apocalypse just for the sake of him being a villain again. It seems like the Axis stuff will be temporary of course, so then that means the foreshadowing was correct, and it's not an assassination of Evan's character if he can revert.

It's not an assassination of his character because Axis is being written by the guy that created him.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Ah, sorry. I really do like Evan, but Remender writes the poo poo out of Apocalypse. Seeing classic look Apocalypse take over New York with evil X-Men makes my inner child happy.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Or how about they just ignore it like they have been the last few years?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I thought the Uncanny Annual was delightful. Haven't cared much for Uncanny (I read my friends copies occasionally), but bought the annual on a lark , and thought it was good fun. Some fun stuff with Killraven and the Rawhide Kid.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

X23 was added to the team because she was the two things that could improve the dynamic of the original five: Another female, a Wolverine. There really was no better choice for a sixth member.

EDIT: I also hope the original X-Men stick around. I wouldn't even mind if they became the only versions of those characters after Secret Wars. I'd love to see some stories involving them without the fish out of water aspect.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 5, 2015

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Rick posted:

I have a soft spot for the original X-Men so this wouldn't be the end of the world to me. So many years of nothing for Iceman wouldn't be missed, Jean without the baggage would be nice, and Cyclops as Magneto Jr. is dumb to me. It's actually the work with Beast and Warren, who were arguably the worst O5 characters that I think it'd be a shame to wipe away.

Right, but it's not like they wouldn't be taken in similar directions eventually. Going blue was the best thing to happen to those two, and I wouldn't mind reading those stories with a modern take.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wolfman did something similar very early on in New Teen Titans, actually, which surprised me when I read the first year or so of it recently; everyone knows the famous romantic subplots there are Robin and Starfire and Beast Boy and Terra, but who remembers Kid Flash and Raven?

Me. The original Kid Flash is my favorite Teen Titans character (love that costume), and a old friend of mine was a big Raven fan, so we remembered. It never went anywhere because she was unconsciously manipulating him. She also did something similar to Dick Grayson I think.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

lokipunk posted:

Not super far. Smashing man just talked to some cows.

That scene is where the current Smasher got her powers if you've been reading Hickman's Avengers.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Oh obviously certain versions of Wolverine are gay. Certain versions of Wolverine are everything. But we need regular ol skirt chasing Wolverine to be gay and it was all a cover for his super deeply repressed homosexuality and also he's not even a little bit bisexual.

You wanna talk about what's got you so upset, buddy? It's normal to think about gay Wolverine, but you seem kind of riled.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I like that the young O5 are becoming healthier versions of their older selves. Jeans learning the extent of her powers without going crazy, Cyclops gets to spend time with his dad, and Bobby, well, I always knew. I used to watch Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Len posted:

I checked the OP and didn't see an answer. I have never read an Xmen comic before but have Marvel Unlimited where's a good place to start?

Try the first issue of Uncanny X-Men by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, Giant Size X-Men by Len Wein and Dave Cockrum, New X-Men #114 by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely, Astonishing X-Men #1 by Joss Whedon and John Cassaday, and Wolverine and the X-Men #1 by Jason Aaron and Chris Bachalo.

Get a little taste of the different eras of X-Men, and find which one speaks to you. Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender is a pro choice if you want some heart with your black ops mutants.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Whatever happened to X-Corp? That doesn't get mentioned when people talk about Marvel cocking up Morrison's New X-Men.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Scarlet Witch posted:

"No more mutants."

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Depowered Beak was inexplicably super buff and hot in New Warriors. It was a bad comic.

He looked more like you'd expect in Vengeance, which never got any follow up. That was a good book.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

You're being silly. Whedon's Cyclops was loving aces, and he did some really fun stuff with Wolverine. Also a drat good Kitty Pryde, Beast, Emma Frost. And he gave us Abigail Brand. I thought it was a good marriage of Morrison and Claremont's X-Men. Like most Morrison books, the world wasn't ready for the New X-Men to be the status quo, so it was inevitably going to be dialed back.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Starsnostars posted:

Hickman said he was taking a break after Secret Wars to recover and when he does come back to Marvel it will be to do a smaller project.

He asked Twitter if he should write a Tron book or a Celestials/Eternals/Deviants book next. Whether that's serious or the hugest cocktease who knows?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Hopeless has been kicking rear end on Spider Woman, so I'm sure Wolverine will be fine.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

There was a plotline for like 1-2 years where mutants were calculated to replace humans within 2-3 generations and had their own communities and poo poo and all that got wiped out by M-Day.

I mean, yeah, the X-men schtick is always going to be "endangered species" but it's worn out to death at this point.

That was Grant Morrison's run. It definitively stated that mutants weren't some genetic gently caress up, but were the next step in evolution, and Homo sapiens were going the way of the Neanderthal.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Also, the first issue of his run was 25 cents while Morrison's run was still red hot. Managed to hook my stupid, teenaged rear end.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Did people really think they weren't going to have adult Bobby come out? Just because he dated a few women in the past, doesn't really mean much. I've recently been dealing with someone whose ex fiancé, and father of her child, drunkenly came out a month before their wedding. Not a drat thing surprises me anymore.

Was Extraordinary any good? That Ramos art is a little off putting.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

X-O posted:

I say kill all the older versions of the X-Men and leave the younger ones. I'm much more interested in them.

Yes! Two down already!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Uncanny X Force by Remender. AoA Nightcrawler gave no fucks. Gave AoA Blob a shark sized tummy ache.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Old Ice Man and Beast know their days are numbered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

plainswalker75 posted:

Did Laura even exist in OML's universe? He might not even know she's his clone.

Assume Old Man Logan knows everything regular Logan knew. He was originally intended to be an alternate future version.

I forget how Millar's Hooded Man fits in.

• Locked thread