Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I want to know what Old Scott thinks about Young Scott's thing with X-23.

From today's issue (the whole page could pretty much make it in the funny panels thread, by the way):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Am I the only one who thought X-Force #2 was actually a marked improvement over the first? Like, now that it's got a mission statement and a place in the larger picture, and it's bringing out neat ideas and I really like it. Am I crazy?

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Cabbit posted:

No, that's my theory too. After seeing where he ended up in the re-launch of Wolverine and the X-Men, I have a distinct impression he's deliberately trying too hard to keep up appearances and keep Betty at arms length. Sort of a "She wants to be better, and I am poison; I must drive her away" kind of thing.

My take on it is that since he spent most of the Humpries UXF run as three different people in all manners of awkward situations, his new attitude is him going back to the basics of who he thinks he is, and that's a french thief/assassin persuaded he's always the coolest guy in the room no matter the situation, but cranked to eleven.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
I guess I'm gonna repeat myself, but this month's X-Force was pretty dang good. Like, as off as Fantomex sounds in it, Spurrier just nails the rest, and especially Psylocke. Plus it has a pretty funny running joke and cameos from X-Men Legacy friends. It is actually getting really enjoyable and I think you should try it.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Shockeh posted:

I don't mind the 'fake' accent; I mind the fact he appears to be an entirely different person than the Morrison All-New or Remender Uncanny X-Force versions, which were both quite fun, especially Remender.

I think the next issue will have some answers, considering issue #1 was about Marrow, #2 was about Cable and #3 was about Psylocke. But again, I feel "annoyingly french guy trying too hard to be the coolest guy in the room at all times" is true to what the character was created to be.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

SirDan3k posted:

X-Force has me thinking were actually dealing with the Evil Brain Fantomex clone.

I dunno, the guy was built as a market-friendly super-sentinel. This might just be his old programming taking over now that it's got one less brain to contend with. Say what you will about the Evil Fantomex, that guy did whatever the gently caress he wanted.

Either way, add me to the pile of people thinking X-Force is getting really great.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Man, X-Force is such a great book can we talk about that instead? Because dang, this issue got loving dark.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
I love that it's pinning all the seemingly random and absurd events in big comics on the most random and absurd of the X-Men. Doop's an avatar of the random whims of Bendis or any other writer and that kinda makes sense to me in a weird poetic way? I dunno, I just love All-New Doop.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
And speaking of the strange whims of one Brian Michael Bendis, this is the cover to All-New X-Men #32

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

hope and vaseline posted:

What, where did this happen?

All-New Doop #4. And, I dunno, to me, it's just Milligan making a joke. Like I feel there's a huge dichotomy in the "Hey, being obsessed with relatively minor comic book things from the past is kinda harmful and makes you a bit of a weirdo so maybe it's not that good a thing but HEY GUESS WHAT X-STATIX IS COMING BACK" thing that book is going for.

Plus, the idea of things literally returning from the dead for no reason has kinda been explored in that Dead Girl miniseries, so I don't see what new ground there would be to cover. I'd still buy new X-Statix, especially if Milligan's at the same level as he is now, but maybe it's not radically new enough.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

HorseRenoir posted:

The first issue of Guggenheim's run on X-Men was pretty decent but nothing amazing. At the very least, the new artist is a huge improvement.

Also, the new X-Force arc is off to a really great start.

I thing the highest praise I can give to X-Force is that the early part is basically a Garth Ennis War Comic, but the wack-a-doo crazy superpowers stuff slowly seeps in, and Spurrier loving nails it, and I think it's Kim's best looking issue to date.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
This new X-Force, god drat. I even felt bad for Fantomex as he was having the mother of all murderous meltdowns. It was just so loving cold. Man. And the payoff on the Domino thing. This is a great loving book more people should be reading.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Man, did Marvel pick the right time to release a comic about how hosed up you'd have to be to think doing various dirty black ops around the world and torturing people in the process, giving up on who you and your principles are, all in the name of your people, is a good idea or what? (X-Force #13, it's pretty good)

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

UniqueLikeMonique posted:

Oh alright, thanks I understand now. Wasn't trying to be creepy with it, there's a certain style of obscene humor I was going for but I think I didn't achieve it properly. Those were the best I could manage so I don't think this superhero sex humor is the right of me. Thanks for the assessment.

Yes, please go back to making comics about all the creepy revenge sex fantasies you have vis-a-vis the evil video game feminists. Or better, go away forever because you're one of the guys behind Shredded Moose.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

the "grand" "finale" of the uncanny x-men story arc about the will that never gets read is some next level stupid

I straight up have no idea how else it could've ended. And I feel it worked, in a "This is the logical endpoint of Cyclops acting like he has, it's completely unsustainable, lesson learned, let's take it to the next stage" kind of way. I dunno, aren't crazy wacky time-travel and altering of reality stories kind of a big staple of X-Men? This is the Bachalo-Bendis take on Here Comes Tomorrow, informed by the current continuity of Marvel. I liked it.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Isn't she out of that?

Yeah, she runs X-Force now, and she's fired her dad from it.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
We know from Avengers that the endpoint of this is some kind of mutant nation. I'd say it's dickish enough to come from an inverted Havok.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
He plays a part in Spurrier's X-Force, an excellent book about very hosed up people doing hosed up things to themselves and others because they can't talk about their problems.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

zoux posted:

That he's already marginalized by being a mutant and he didn't want to be even further marginalized by being a gay mutant.

Also, he's been busy with the crazy life of being an X-Man and also a Champion once, which, yeah, would leave you very little time to honestly try and figure out where you're at.

e: Extraordinary X-Men was trash. The writing's kinda bland, and the pileup of disasters strking the mutants at once screams of "Screw you X-Men fans you're never gonna get an interesting story ever again".

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Why is it erasure to say one individual isn't a thing?

Because if that's true then well I guess there's so such thing as a good post.

It's erasing in that in dismissing the possibility Iceman's bisexual in the way Bendis has done it, there's the implication there's no possibility for anyone to actually be bisexual, which, as dumb and hosed up as it sounds, is a thing that an all too great number of people actually think, and which actually kinda hurts to hear if you're bisexual.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Probably Magic posted:

That still just seems like calculated emotionless strategizing to me, but that might just be my cynical reading of it. He just doesn't seem like that sentimental of a guy outside of Betsy.

That's Fantomex, isn't it? Giving the appearance of being the awesome cool cold and calculating guy while being torn apart on the inside by the conflicts built by his programming.

But then, he tries using The World to raise Evan as a hero, by making him the adopted son of a kindly couple of farmers in the middle of Kansas. Which, if that's not being sentimental with your symbolism, I don't know what is.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Squizzle posted:

He has three brains. That's like being able to compartmentalize plus. He can believe all sides of the argument at once. I think that there's a strong case to make that he's frequently bullshitting—"misdirecting"—himself in v. elaborate/sad ways.

The last run of X-Force was basically him having a lengthy nervous breakdown as he tried to reconcile reality with what he's been hardwired into believing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Oh, also he wrote an X-Men one-shot with an all-women team.

Illustrated by Milo Manara.

• Locked thread