Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yeah, at this point death's just a joke. Even for comic book deaths, the X-Men just don't stay on the other side, at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Bendis hasn't really followed up on it at all.

Because he has a habit of not following up on the subplots he makes. It isn't something new. Aside not knowing how to write different character voices, respecting character development other writers have done, or even making good stories (how quick people forget BotA), Bendis has showed with his Avengers run that most of the time he just clashes toys together in an improvised subplot and immediately forgets about it.

Paul O'Brien, who has reviewed X-comics for more than a decade, puts it better while reviewing Uncanny #17:

quote:

Hanging over Brian Bendis’ X-Men run is the spectre of his Avengers run, in which a bunch of seemingly disparate plot threads ultimately turned out, after several years, not to even gesture vaguely in the direction of coming together.

(...) All of which would imply that we’re likely to see [Hijack] again at some point.

And yet, and yet… this sort of pointless shuffling of characters in and out of the cast was one of the more notably clumsy features of Bendis’ Avengers run. What was the point of adding Daredevil or Storm to that team, for example, only for both characters to vanish almost instantly? By all appearances, there was no point whatsoever in either case, yet it happened nonetheless. So do I put it past Bendis to just pointlessly shuffle underdeveloped characters in and out of the cast? No, I don’t, which rather colours my reaction to this issue. All logic tells me that this is probably a step in a bigger picture… but Bendis’ track record doesn’t inspire total confidence.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

So apparently Gambit has the power to restore robots memories by kissing them.

Reading it I sorted of groaned, but then I remembered the character. Danger has been written as a living being with emotions, all the way back from Joss Whedon, followed up by Carey and Gillen. It does make sense to force an emotional response to get someone out of shock, which is what was causing the memory block or whatever. You do need to take Danger as a person instead of a robot for the scene to work, but that's suspension of disbelief.

It still was a rather Peter David plot device, but if you aren't into his stuff, then you picked a weird book to read.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Brian Wood's adjectiveless was pretty much shite. Mediocre, plot-less, random things happening for no good reason, all characters having their voices wrong (how can anyone mess up freaking Rockslide?). Yet, nothing it did will impact the line in any important way. No one will remember it in six months from now -- heck, I barely remember it. Selene and Madelyne being back won't matter in any relevant way, Jubilee's kid will be a background character, and Sublime's and Rachel's absurd romance will be ignored.

All the stuff (which I will pretty much label as "the atrocities") Bendis is doing has an impact on the line. In fact it's establishing the whole direction for it that every other writer will have to accept. Beast changing randomly because "if Grant Morrison did so can I". The Original Five. Yet another dystopian future. SHIELD being the enemy. The Phoenix Trials. And he's been doing this for less than two years if I recall right. He won't be giving these toys away for a longass time.

Did you guys read the Phoenix Trial? Does that deus ex machina ending of Jean finding some new superpower to solve the plot look like good story-telling to anyone? A superpower that is just turning pink and doing stuff not even her older, much more experienced and battle-hardened self could do. It came completely out of the left field. Nothing in there made sense and that dialogue was atrocious. To me it's the perfect example to showcase why this guy can't write a team book, much less one with such an absurdly vast mythos like the X-Men.

Brian Wood has no idea how to write the X-Men either, and we have had a lot of writers like him (Joe Casey comes to mind), but none of those people tried to redefine the X-Men mythos in a large scale because. This has been Bendis modus operandi since the start.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 10, 2014

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Yes, I'm fairly sure Chuck Austen stuff was pretty much ignored. That creepy Warren + Paige stuff never came up again, Azazel showed up as a silly villain on a Jason Aaron comic (which are always full of silly villains sometimes to the detriment of the story), and that nurse character was completely written off. As bad as his run was (and it's one of the worst runs in X-Men history), it didn't try to redefine the mythos and the two main characters that got redefined for the worst (Kurt and Warren) were pretty much written much better later on. And thank god for that.

Same thing for all that dumb poo poo Howard Mackie wrote about Havok in Mutant X. When you are just writing one comic and the rest of the line isn't forced to follow your lead, you can be pretty much ignored and forgotten rather quickly.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

Though I'm confused about Phantomex, what was all that stuff he takes Prof X and Jean through? an illusion? It's stated he's the other Weapon that was being transported, but how does he have all this stuff, and a life as complex as it was shown if he didn't exist until recently.

Phantomex starts a bit weird and convulted, as a homage to French character Fantômas. He is later expanded on as having misdirection mutant powers, that his birth place "The World" runs on a much faster rate of time, and that his mother figure is just a construct. It is never explained how he amassed such a huge collection of antiques, weapons, etc though and it is left ambigous if any of that is real or not.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

hope and vaseline posted:

sexy tentacle armed Callisto.

Suben posted:

Claremont created the hippest character ever: a rebellious goth girl who controls ghosts named Wicked.

Spiderdrake posted:

And then one of the Xorns sucked Exodus into his head, or something? I dunno, Chuck Austen, whatever.

Any excuse to post this gif is a good excuse.

I think most people would agree Marvel went down the shitter when Disney bought them. Everything turned into a platform to launch movies instead of letting the movies happen naturally. There's no room for new risky things, because everything needs to be safe with some way of turning it into yet another profitable PC movie.

Regarding Magneto, I don't think he's been a golden age villain in a million years. Even Scott Lobdell tried to write him as a conflicted character, though the result was not entirely a success (most would say "far from it").

Grant Morrison showed him as a Genoshan leader living in peace until the genocide of his nation. It's implied the mental trauma led him into the drug Kick (Sublime) and thus to blaming the X-Men for everything, which in true Morrison fashion turned out into an incredibly convulted plot device, but one which most people including me liked. When you see him destroying New York he is completely gone, choke-full of drugs, having monologues with his Xorn persona, and is only stopped when Wolverine finally puts him out of his misery. He's not a 60's villain, but a deeply disturbed old man.

When he comes back -- because god knows this is comics -- he's a benevolent leader in House of M, saves Xavier in Legacy, and later rejoins the X-Men. Even on his new solo series he's trying to do what he believes to be the "right thing". He isn't an anti-hero and neither is he a cackling maniac. He's Magneto and during most of his history he's been written this way.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

That's some revisionist loving history, dude.

How come?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

I don't think Disney buying Marvel in 2009 had much of an affect on comics written half a decade prior.

Oh, I meant it as a recent development. In the last decade you had things like X-Statix, Incredible Herc, Cable & Deadpool... things that wouldn't sell movies, but were fun comics. That became less and less prevalent with time. Probably even before Disney bought them, sure, but when Abnett & Lanning wrote Guardians of the Galaxy, it wasn't intended as an attempt at a franchise movie. One can't say the same thing about its newest iteration or this misguided attempt of Marvel forcing the Inhumans down everyone's throats.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

There's nothing there relevant for the X-Men mythos other than Wanda returned to the Avengers and Rictor got his powers back. Wanda kids had a pretty cool mini-series written by Kieron Gillen called Young Avengers (v2?), which you may want to check out if you were a fan of his Kid Loki run.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

The UK arc had spotty storytelling mixed in with some of the worst art I've ever seen. You can't tell what's going on most of the time. Everything else in that run is pretty gold, though.

However, do not touch the follow up with Storm as the leader. It's atrocious. I really liked the other X-Force title, Cable and X-Force, but it's 90's as hell.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

So, if we are going by conjecture from solicitations, Professor X is a Jerk(tm), Wolverine dies (again), and Storm gets a solo title. That sure sounds exciting :sigh:

And they just relaunched W&XM, so god knows what they are thinking.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Just put that book out of its misery. Please, Marvel.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

I don't know why Lorna went along with it.

It is heavily implied that Lorna is not well, more so than usual. You could say you can justify any plot logic with that as a basis, but really all it would show is that you are not familiar with mental illness and how it affects wants, obsessions, and mood swings.

That said, the ending of this issue really looked like a mess. I can see the conflict ("she is brainwashed, she doesn't know the outside world!"), but the girl suddenly having mutant powers or whatever which is probably why she is isolated in the first place was kind of janky in how it was presented.

I'll keep reading it, though. So far I have seen nothing groan-inducing and it's not like anything else better is being written right now in the X-Men line. I did like the little touch with Quicksilver not telling Havok all the truth because someone made a passing comment about his father.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

That's because you are not familiar with the character. Married to Mariko Yashida, forever in love with Jean Grey, guilt implanted memories of an Indian girl called Silver Fox, more kids than he can count, etc, etc, etc. If you were reading X-Men during the height of his popularity in the 90's, you had tons of writers trying to make his past even more mysterious and muddled (because people love that stuff right), each one adding weirder things into his mythos -- Larry Hama being the "worst" of the lot. Wolverine was and still is a pretty messed up character.

Most writers obviously just abbreviate Wolverine as 1) claws, 2) beer, 3) healing factor, 4) "bub". You can do that sort of thing with any character, though. Cyclops used to be just 1) eye beams, 2) class representative, 3) has stick up his rear end, 4) boring.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 16, 2014

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Maybe it's a delayed April Fools joke? Surely not even Bendis would swoop so low.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I'd put a vote in for the original Excalibur. Kurt ends up becoming the de facto leader and he has a bunch of character development throughout the series.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

His origin in like one page:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Well, you see, when Mystique and Logan did their thing, their kid turned out exactly like his mother but WITH CLAWS! But when it was decided that Xavier's "grandkid" was actually his son with Mystique of all people, he's an exact clone because that's how genetics work and not because Bendis decided on a whim that would be the best way to use said character.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

But, really, yeah, if you saw this presentation, he is far more invested in his own projects than this run. Why is he even writing X-Men in the first place is a mystery when he clearly does not give a poo poo. Here, people (at least me) assumed he was the one who picked the X-Men as his new toys to ruin and not someone at Marvel who told him to go do it, but the latter is looking more like the case the longer this circus of mediocrity continues.

No one mildly invested could write something as abysmal as this latest issue. Not even Chuck Austen at his worst showed so little interest in the crap he was shoving out -- yes, it was the worst garbage, but you at least felt he did care about said garbage.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 19, 2014

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Yeah, but he gets a nasty diarrhea. Also, the master of magnetism who has previously dealt with nanomachines planted on the X-Men (Morrison's run) can't feel the nanomachines in himself. Because they were all pulled out of Bendis' rear end.

This reveal shits on everything. It shits on the Dark Beast character, it shits on the outcome of Uncanny X-Force, the premise for Colossus to join Cable and his X-Force... hell, it shits on its own story by making it make absolutely no sense. The writer certainly is a master of plotting diarrhea -- he even makes jokes about it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Dark X-Men came out in 2010. After that, Dark Beast showed up in an arc of Uncanny X-Force (2011, and you should read all of this awesome series), which ultimately ended with him leaving 616 for good. He had no reason to come back, experiment on himself, or engage on dumb moustache-twirling shenanigans with the X-Men, especially when it came at odds with his characterization written by Mike Carey, Paul Cornell, and Rick Remender in the last few years.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 20, 2014

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

The pain just keeps getting worse.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Peter David makes minor references to both the Gambit's series and the last New Mutants series, along with the previous X-Factor iteration of his. Nothing is required reading, though, and you will be able to follow All-New X-Factor just fine. All of those three series were rather good, too, in case you want to track them down.

Funny enough, if I'm not misremembering anything, I'm fairly sure PAD has avoided making even minor references to the "time-travely, crossovery, Brian Mike Bendisy stuff" as you put it, which is impressive seeing as it's supposed to affect the entire line.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

It's like he keeps daring readers that he will find a way to gently caress up the series more and more somehow. Emo goth Dazzler and further pissing on Xavier's grave aren't enough, oh no, he must turn those into an earth shaking event that will forever change everything.

"When Xavier's not in the book, it's more interesting. Then I was the one that said, 'Well, let's just kill him, then! What would be more interesting than that?' Hickman still doesn't forgive me for loving up his Illuminati by doing that."

"I actually got a lot of thank yous [for killing Dark Beast]. There are some people that hate Hank McCoy so much that any version that you kill of him is good. I had some people like, 'Well, that's a bad mystery, because you pulled him out of...' but like two issues ago, they guessed it was Hank. They said, 'Hank is the one that has to be doing this.' They just had the wrong Hank. It's a solid, loopy mystery reveal. Just because you couldn't guess it doesn't mean it didn't work."

Look at this smug bullshit.

And then he goes on to describe how turning Dazzler into some emo goth reject is "bringing her character into the future".

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Oh drat, I had forgotten that was a thing. That run was incredibly underwhelming in my opinion; the art was pretentious rubbish, Ellis' usual clever ideas were nowhere to be found, and the large hiatuses between issues didn't help at all.

Doesn't hurt to check it if you can find it cheap somewhere, though.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

It's loving terrible.

Rhyno posted:

His run is terrible. It's Claremontium levels of bad.

Eh, honestly, I think that's kind of an exaggeration. I can barely remember it -- that's how unmemorable it was -- but we are in a world with Brian Wood and Bendis on X-Men that are terrible and rather memorable as such. At least Ellis had the characters' voices and motivations down properly.

Aside the dumb techno-babble, I think the worst thing about it was the core idea of non-mutants-but-mutants had already been done both by Claremont's Neo and Carey's Children of the Vault, plus the mystery surrounding them was underwhelming as heck.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

Have you been reading X-Force?

You do realize you just quoted him saying that he is indeed reading X-Force.

And I can't remember a time in the last eight years when only two outlier books were worth a read across the entire X line, but here we are.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Archyduke posted:

Kind of odd to realize that there aren't really any meaty scenes between Sam and Cable-- was this run the first time they'd both been in the same series since, like, right after Age of Apocalypse?

No, they were together for a short (and terrible) X-Force series before Cable & Deadpool started. Somewhere in 2004?

Archyduke posted:

God, I could not get into Brubaker's Uncanny though. I stuck with it until they went into space, then I flipped through the covers and realized that yeah, that's months and months of space hit I don't know how to care about.

He had a hard-on for that Vulcan character for some reason. Brubaker is just a terrible fit for super hero comics and his run on X-Men is some of the most mediocre poo poo this side of late day Scott Lobdell.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I don't think I have ever read a comic that was so full of self-wankery as the latest All-New. I'm fairly sure there's got to be X-Men fanfiction out there that is more professional, consistent, and less "pat yourself in the back" than this garbage.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

How could you miss the torrid romance of Kitty Pride and totally not a self-insert Starlord? Or how that dirty old creep, Professor X, what a jerk, married Mystique and had a kid with her (who is just a clone of him) because that's totally the sort of thing he would do?

And the Future Brotherhood? And the character find of the 21th century, Goth Dazzler, she's edgy as gently caress man? And the young X-Men who are all so hip? And remember that time they kidnaped Jean Grey for no good reason so there could be a crossover and she got new powers?? Like, holy poo poo, new powers that make her pink! How could you forget all these exciting developments, memorable characters and lost lasting developments?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Bendis kind of ruined that.

Kind of? Ha, that's funny.

"Bobby, I hate your guts! You did not agree with my decision to ruin the entire space-time continuum."

"Kitty, you didn't even give me a chance to talk about your decision of putting the entire space-time continuum in the hands of five kids!"

"Well, tough luck. I'm going out with Starlord."

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Before I checked the link I thought this was Bendis Spider-Man, but nope, it's Peter Parker, a guy who is neither a mutant nor ever particularly involved in X-Men stories. A strange pick to center a new series on, but I'm optimistic about the writer at least.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

If you are Magneto you have a sixth sense for those things.

Don't think too much about it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

They already canceled New Warriors? :sigh:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

That... may be the Vanisher?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Well, gently caress. That was pretty much the only X book I looked forward every month now.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Die Laughing posted:

the latest Wolverine and the X-Men was nice.

I haven't looked at this title since that garbage first arc with Future Quentin Quire. What happened in the latest one?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I'd have taken Adam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

XboxPants posted:

Not for Xavier or anyone related to him, but it kinda feels that there was some sort of balance where the more unsympathetic they made Xavier, the more sympathetic they got to make Magneto, and I've been enjoying having him over on the good guy side. So, I mean, there's that.

No, there isn't. Chris Claremont had done that before the 90's got in the way, and he very much didn't need to rub feces all over Xavier to get there.

• Locked thread