Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Previously on X-Men: After fighting the future X-Men, Kitty and the Original 5 decided to join Scott while Magneto goes solo. The school year at the JGS ends, leaving the schoolteachers off rescuing Nightcrawler, and the students graduated.

With the start of Marvel All-New NOW! and a pretty big shakeup of the entire line, it seems like a good time to restart the X-Thread. The old thread is here, with even older threads here, here, and here. There's also a general recommendation thread here.

NEW BOOKS

Magneto
Cullen Bunn and Gabriel Hernandez Walta
Tired of working under Cyclops, Magneto goes solo and decides to solve mutantkind's problems his own way.

Cyclops
Greg Rucka and Russell Dauterman
Greg Rucka makes a surprise return to Marvel to write a solo series about (young) Cyclops traveling through space with his dad Corsair.

All-New Doop
Peter Milligan and David Lafuente
A new limited series starring everyone's favorite flying pickle, Doop, about what he does while the X-Men are adventuring. Sounds fun.

Amazing X-Men
Jason Aaron and Ed McGuinness
Aaron's main X-book after leaving WATXM. Wolverine and a bunch of the JGS school teachers go to the afterlife and have demon pirate adventures with Nightcrawler.

Nightcrawler
Chris Claremont and Todd Nauck
Speaking of Nightcrawler, his planned arc on X-Men Legacy got upgraded into a solo ongoing book. Warning: it's being written by post-90's Claremont, so read at your own risk.

X-Men: No More Humans
Mike Carey and Salvador Larroca
A standalone graphic novel from Mike Carey explores what would happen if all humans mysteriously disappeared.

RELAUNCHED BOOKS

Wolverine
Paul Cornell and Ryan Stegman
After the events of the previous Wolverine book, Wolverine gets in touch with his dark side and joins a group of minor supervillains and simplifies his life. This is probably going to be ignored by all of the other books.

Wolverine and the X-Men
Jason Latour and Mahmud Asrar
More adventures at the school, this time with a greater focus on the students (like Quire, Idie, and Evan) than the teachers. Otherwise, there's not much different than a new creative team.

X-Force
Simon Spurrier and Rock-He Kim
Spurrier follows up his great run on X-Men Legacy with a relaunch of X-Force. Cable, Psylocke, Marrow, and Fantomex act as a secret black-ops group that does the jobs too dirty for the rest of mutantkind.

All-New X-Factor
Peter David and Carmine di Giandomenico
Peter David's X-Factor continues chronicling the adventures of the corporate-sponsored X-team.

CONTINUING BOOKS

Uncanny Avengers
Rick Remender and Steve McNiven
Only sort-of an X-book, but still fits in this thread. The team comprised of Avengers and X-Men encounter a mutant homeworld established in space.

All-New X-Men
Brian Michael Bendis and Stuart Immonen
The book about the time-displaced X-Men. This time, they're hanging with Scott's team and currently doing space stuff with an intergalactic trial of Jean Grey.

Savage Wolverine
Richard Isanove
An anthology book of self-contained Wolverine storylines. The current one is being done by Richard Isanove and takes place during the Great Depression.

Uncanny X-Men
Brian Michael Bendis and Chris Bachalo
The book focusing on Cyclops, his team, and his fledgling revolution/mutant school. His sights are set on S.H.I.E.L.D., which was revealed to be secretly creating more Sentinels.

X-Men
Brian Wood and Kris Anka
The all-female X-book continues as the female X-Men face off against a female Sisterhood of Evil Mutants.

Origin II
Kieron Gillen and Adam Kubert
A miniseries, detailing Wolverine's origins. Again.

Marvel Knights: X-Men
Brahm Revel
A self-contained X-Men miniseries under the Marvel Knights imprint that's been flying under the radar.

ENDING BOOKS

X-Men Legacy
Simon Spurrier and Tan Eng Huat
Spurrier's run about Legion just ended, and outside of a 300th issue special, no new issues have been announced so I'm just assuming the book is over/on hiatus for now. In the meantime, read Spurrier's run if you haven't already, it's really good.

A+X
various artists and writers
The anthology series that spun out of AvX is about to end pretty soon.

(Please tell me if I've missed anything or if you want something added here! Also, feel free to come up with a better thread title)

HorseRenoir fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

ElNarez posted:

Am I the only one who thought X-Force #2 was actually a marked improvement over the first? Like, now that it's got a mission statement and a place in the larger picture, and it's bringing out neat ideas and I really like it. Am I crazy?

Yeah, I thought it was a big step up from the first issue. It feels like Spurrier is finding his footing on this book and delivering on the stuff I was hoping he would bring to X-Force. The guy still can't write Fantomex very well, though.

Also, seconding the love for Legacy #300. Not sure who wrote what for that issue, but all of it was stellar.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Suben posted:

In all fairness to BotA (and I mean I did the write up in the lovely runs thread so I hate it), the way I've always heard it was that it was originally something Aaron came up with and the editors decided to make it an anniversary event across the whole line. I don't think it would've been a good story either way but yeah.

That makes sense. The whole event felt like a quirky arc of WATXM that was awkwardly turned into an event and dragged down by Bendis' pacing problems and love of the "heroes arguing with each other" type of conflict.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Man, ANXM #25 was a massive load of poo poo. The fact that so many great artists' talents were wasted to illustrate Bendis's self-masturbatory drivel kind of pisses me off.

Hey Bendis, you don't get to spend an entire issue on how an idea is stupid when it was your idea in the first place. This whole issue felt like Bendis using Uatu as a mouthpiece to admit to what a trainwreck this whole storyline has been, and then moving the blame onto a fictional character so he can say "this storyline is stupid on purpose!" and continue to write his nonsensical fanwank. Really, they should have just done an X-Men themed version of Strange Tales (like the last third of the book before it goes back to sanctimonious Uatu mode). It would've been more fun than whatever the gently caress this was.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Codependent Poster posted:

Bendis isn't saying it was a stupid storyline. Where are you getting that? Sounds like you're just projecting your dislike of Bendis to the book.

He's played up that Hank has made a mistake. And Hank has been pretty hypocritical for a long time, so it was nice to see someone actually call him on his bullshit.

I would believe that if every character wasn't acting as stupid and hypocritical (as if hypocrisy even meant anything in comic books) as Hank is, or at least got called out on it. Everything about this storyline makes no sense, and almost every major plot point in it has involved characters making stupid contrived decisions that don't make sense, or random incoherent events that awkwardly move the story along. Nothing about Bendis' run so far have given me the impression that he plans more than one to two issues ahead of time; it's like he has a few vague ideas in his head and then connects them together in the least elegant way possible.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

radlum posted:

Yeah, Quentin being a straight edge kid and then becoming the head of a mutant riot that rejects Xavier's dream was great, my favorite of Morrison's run. Also, am I the only one that really dislikes his last arc? Here Comes Tomorrow?

Why was Nightcrawler 1 really good or bad? I avoid current Claremont, but Nightcrawler is my favorite X-Man.

It's pretty decent by Claremont standards, but it feels like the definition of a "nostalgia" book. I can't imagine this book having any appeal to those who aren't already familiar with Claremont's work and writing style.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Neo_Reloaded posted:

I liked the No More Humans OGN. I have not been a big fan of Bendis's run at all (nor Wood's), so it felt like "finally, a real X-Men story again!"

Though, yeah, Beast is such a sanctimonious prick that it's just absurd. I'm willing to entertain that he's specifically being written like that, i.e., the audience is supposed to think he's a prick.

And it's getting a bit old having the Phoenix pop its head up every couple months or so. Each appearance is written like its such a huge deal, but its totally not because it happens constantly now. Clearly, everyone (characters and creators alike) are obsessed with the real Jean, so they should just bring her back already.

I think the worst thing about it to me is that it felt like a total deus ex machina. It feels like Carey wrote himself into a corner and tacked the Phoenix to the end of the story to return things to the status quo.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I don't know whether he had always been this bad and I didn't notice it before, but it feels like Bendis has stopped giving a poo poo since he started his X-Men run. The big underlying plot that's been running for two years randomly gets solved in two panels and it's... nanomachines and Dark Beast (who is terminally ill now for some reason)? Did he just pick two random things out of a hat and call it a day?

My biggest problem with Bendis right now, beyond all else, is that he really doesn't seem to give a poo poo about the stories he's writing anymore. It always feels like he's writing in the heat of the moment, without regard to what anyone else is doing or what he was writing a few months ago. I'm sure he has his run planned out, but so far this whole thing has felt really improvised, in a bad way.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

moleman posted:

There's no way "magically dying and out of character Dark Beast in a fish bowl" was planned out in any way shape or form. No way. As a perennial and unrepentant fan of AoA, it always pains me to see characters from that 20 year old storyline used as cheap cannon fodder.

That's something that also pissed me off about the reveal: Bendis has a total lack of respect for what other writers do with "his" characters. It seems really lovely to me that Bendis randomly introduced this new character at the last second only to flippantly kill him off for no reason, in a way that is completely disconnected to both the character's past history and the story itself.

There was never a point where Dark Beast would logically be involved with this storyline, and there was never a point where Dark Beast would logically be terminally ill. They don't even give him any focus or screentime, or even use his death for shock value. He was literally killed off for no reason, and that's the worst way a character can go (although ten bucks says that the next writer ignores Bendis and says it was a clone or something).

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Soonmot posted:

I realize that maybe four of us read Dazzler's Xtreme X-Men and I realize that Bendis gives 0 fucks about previous characterization. But....

Well, I'll let the picture in the link speak for itself.

http://www.theouthousers.com/index....campaign=buffer

Now I know Bendis is trying to piss me off on purpose :argh:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Skwirl posted:

Plus Disco was actually still relevant as a pop culture phenomenon when Dazzler first appeared

The funniest thing to me is that they're turning Dazzler into a goth chick the exact moment disco became popular again.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I just realized something that really drives home how dumb the whole O5 storyline is. So they establish that no one can send the O5 back in time for reasons, and they make a huge deal over how no one can come up with a solution. The problem is that there's an insultingly easy solution to this whole thing:

1. Future Beast goes back in time to just before Past Beast uses the time machine and tells him about how taking the O5 to the present is a stupid idea
2. Past Beast never goes back to the 60's, so the O5 never appear in the future and as a result nothing in ANXM happens
3. Because Future Beast belongs to a reality that no longer exists, he Marty McFlys out of existence and all the loose ends are tied up

The time machine rewrites the timeline instead of creating an alternate reality so things would go completely back to normal, and this could have been done at any time, without even needing the O5 to be in the room. The fact that this entire storyline hinges on no one doing this really obvious thing (especially Beast, who is smart enough to invent a time machine yet not smart enough to think of this in the literal decades spent coming up with a solution) really brings home how poorly thought-out and flimsy this storyline is.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I wouldn't say that Schism itself sucked, but I feel like it overstayed its welcome a long time ago. Nothing really seems to change about the situation; it's just the same tired arguments being lobbed over and over again, with some people getting traded between teams every year or so to give the illusion that things have progressed in some way. It feels like X-Men has become focused on petty team infighting for years now, and I really hate that. They should have used AvX to end Schism and move onto something new and interesting.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Hakkesshu posted:

I know I'm generalizing, and I can't really blame people for being dismayed with Bendis, but sometimes I get the feeling that the only thing that could please some of you guys is if every comic reverted back to being perpetually stuck in the silver age.

I don't really feel like wanting a little meaningful progression from an author who actually cares about what he's writing is asking for too much.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Anyone who didn't like the first few issues of X-Force should definitely stick around for this week's issue, holy poo poo. This book started out rocky, but it feels like Spurrier has finally gotten back into that creative zone he was in for X-Men Legacy.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Cerepol posted:

Welcome to Fandom where hate watching/reading/listening is a thing cause we all cling to how it'll become my favourite incarnation or at least something as good

It's kind of hard to ignore a book that the entire line revolves around.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

TwoPair posted:

In retrospect, I don't have a problem with BotA's central conflict (the whole "kids' free will" vs. "preserving timestream order") thing the story presented, I just think the story should have... come earlier? I guess? I don't know how to phrase that correctly. I guess what I'm trying to say is I think the big conflict on whether to send back the Original 5 should have come way earlier than BotA. Like right near the beginning of All-New X-Men and Beast bringing them back, but I guess everybody wanted a little bit to establish the series before starting a crossover. But as it is, the O5 have been in the present for a while and then something big has to happen to stir a debate. Which by the way, it really shouldn't, because there really shouldn't be a debate after Young Cyclops nearly dies and current Cyclops pulls a Marty McFly and disappears for a few seconds, but still half the cast is acting like this is a big moral gray area. And yes, it turns out that this is the wrong stance later because it's the stance the Brotherhood take, but we don't find out they're the Brotherhood until much later. By then old Cyclops is harboring his young self and Kitty Pryde and the rest of the X-Men are busy fighting each other over conflicting ideologies.

I was rereading BOTA recently and this is the reason why, even with the improved pace, my opinion didn't really change on it. By changing the rules so that the O5 can affect the timestream, the central conflict goes from "this seems like a really bad idea, the O5 should go home" vs. "let them stay, they're presence isn't hurting anything" to "really bad things are starting to happen because the O5 are in the future, we need to send them back now" vs. "NO, WE DON'T WANNA!". At least with Schism and AvX, you could argue that either side is in the right. The O5 staying in the future is an objectively bad thing, but the whole event's conflict hinges on half the characters just brushing aside the big thing that started the event in the first place. And then it turns out that this conflict doesn't matter, because the time machine magically doesn't work on the O5 anymore, and the future X-men/Brotherhood trying to sent the O5 back are suddenly evil for poorly-defined reasons. And then everyone gets attacked by Sentinels, piloted by Dark Beast for some reason?

BOTA doesn't just suck because its pacing is bad, it sucks because it's an incomplete story built on a fundamentally stupid concept. It's just the beginning third of some arc Bendis wanted to do for ANXM, and it somehow got promoted into a big event. I think some of the recent issues with the Brotherhood makes some of the BOTA stuff make more sense in retrospect, but I don't get why we couldn't have learned that information during the event itself, instead of wasting time on even more "heroes slap-fighting each other" bullshit.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Benny the Snake posted:

I flipped thru the latest issue of All-New X-Men and boy, did I dislike it. I sure hope Bendis is better at Spider-Man than X-Men, personally. What's the best X-title that's not Bendis written right now?

X-Force is probably the best X-book running right now. It's pretty stylistically similar to his run on X-Men Legacy (which you should read if you've haven't already).

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Why does he need a note in the first place? Unless Xavier was somehow mindwiped in between the present and the future, he should still be able to recognize what went wrong, escape prison at some point, and then use the time travel machine to go back. The note can't be for someone else in case he dies, either. His whole plan hinges on him being alive in the future to mind-control everyone into working for him; Xavier's abilities were the only reason he and Raze were even able to get access to Hank's time machine. The only thing writing the note achieves is to make SHIELD look dumber than usual.

Like most things in Bendis' run, the note is just something that sounds cool until you think about it for five seconds and realize how stupid it is.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Man, this week's Uncanny X-Men was a big fat load of nothing. Aside from the fact that the hyped-up "groundshaking revelation" doesn't even appear in the issue, that scene of Dazzler turning into a 90's goth chick was so laughably bad. I can practically imagine the nu-metal playing in the background.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Diet Poison posted:

I feel like I forget everything that happens in a WatX issue like ten minutes after reading it. New rule: no more Future Evil X-Men stories for at least a year, please guys? I actually liked the last Bendis one better than this Latour one. Stupid plotholes like the letter aside, I could at least follow what the hell was going on. Last time we saw Future Phoenix Quire he was a good guy implied to be on the JGS faculty, but this time he was a bad guy who orchestrated all the Faithful John stuff and was going to... kill his past self? Seriously, someone who knows what this arc was about try to summarize it for me- it flew right over my head in a blur of "huh?"
I'm gonna give it through the Death of Wolverine stuff to see how its status quo changes, but I really feel like dropping it.

Yeah, this issue was pretty much the last straw for me. Latour's run isn't horrible or anything, but I can't be bothered to care about anything that's gone on. The plot is yet another "the X-Men have to stop a bad future from happening" story that's super confusing to boot, the writing is too derivative of Aaron but without any of his charm or quirks, and the art is mediocre. It's really a shame, because I loved Aaron's run and I want to support this book on the principle of it being a lighter, student-focused story, but it's been consistently "meh" for me since the beginning.

On the other hand, I was really pleasantly surprised by how much I liked the new Storm book. The art is nice, and I loved how no-bullshit it was. No infighting, no time travel, no ridiculous supervillains or plot twists, no soap opera histrionics. It was just the X-Men helping people, guiding students, and tackling real-world social issues in a semi-realistic manner. It's everything I love about the franchise, and I wish it was something that was more common in the line these days.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Probably Magic posted:

I really, really hated Bianchi's art back then. I feel like he's made his art less ugly now and even some issues he did that I actually thought were okay, but that run on Astonishing and the Wolverine v. Sabertooth storyline... it was unreadable. Just puddles of dark ink and ugly rage faces or completely baffling panel layouts.

I used to really like Bianchi's pencils; my only issue is that the colorists he would use would always cover the art in this awful, dark airbrushing technique. Nowadays, I think his art has gotten even worse (especially for his issues of New Avengers).

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The first issue of Guggenheim's run on X-Men was pretty decent but nothing amazing. At the very least, the new artist is a huge improvement.

Also, the new X-Force arc is off to a really great start.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I was actually really liking this week issue of Uncanny... until the second half of the issue hits and suddenly the really innocuous, sweet story about Charles communicating with the child is supposed to be controversial for some reason. It's the same bullshit that made Battle of the Atom really irritating to me; it takes a pretty obvious and benign idea and pretends like it's a super-contentious flashpoint despite one side of the argument not really having a point. Why is Charles sealing the kid's powers and letting him live a normal life presented as a morally sketchy decision, even after the child explicitly gives Charles his consent? This whole storyline was about Charles having some dark hidden secret; was "Charles couldn't help this one kid control his powers, so that kid grew up to have :stonk: a normal childhood!!! :stonk:" really the best they could do?

That whole section of Scott flipping out because Charles was literally flawless and hypercompetent felt like blatantly artificial tension, and I have no idea why Bendis bothered to include it in what would otherwise be a story about the team overcoming their differences.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
WATXM is officially getting retooled as Spider-Man and the X-Men in December. The book is being written by Elliott Kalan from the Daily Show, which seems like a big step up from Latour's really mediocre run right now.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The end of this week's X-Force :smith:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Diet Poison posted:

Oh my god RIGHT. I had to read those pages twice. That is not how people talk.

Still. Really good issue aside, I thought. Scott Summers was loving cool in it. I dunno why I'm such a Scott Summers fanboy when he was such a wet blanket in the cartoon that pretty much introduced me to superheroes, but when Scott Summers is bring written as this self-assured, or-die-trying type, he really comes out as the character I feel like he was always supposed to become, which only makes me dread the idea of someone coming along and reverting Scott Summers to a stick-in-rear end boy scout again.

Honestly, I feel like the last decade or two of Cyclops has made me go from being indifferent about him to actively hating his presence. I feel like Cyclops has fallen victim to the Aquaman Effect, where a character gets poo poo on for so long that an entire generation of writers has made it their mission to overcompensate and show why Cyclops should be taken seriously.

"Cyclops isn't lame you guys! He's the biggest badass in the universe AND he's a tactical genius AND he can blow up cities with his mind AND all of his relatives are super special powerful badasses AND he's a rebel AND he never loses AND all the other characters have to apologize to him for thinking he's lame AND all the ladies love him AND etc."

Cyclops has turned into a massive Gary Stu over the years and his only character flaw at this point are "The haters can't handle how righteous and passionate I am" (which is not actually character flaw). For all the poo poo Wolverine gets, he at least has the semblance of character flaws and progression. Every appearance of Cyclops these days is just "Man Cyclops is so awesome, RESPECT HIM" and it makes me roll my eyes so hard.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Thank god. Bendis' run is seriously one of the worst comic runs I've read in recent memory and I was worried he'd stay a lot longer.

I think that his comment that "I've written the X-Men and now I can move on" really encapsulates why his run is so bad. Bendis had way more clout than ideas and his entire run just felt like him writing because he wanted that feather in his cap, and not because he had an actual story he wanted to tell.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Rick posted:

I really hope the rumors of them shelving the X-men referenced in the article are just fan panic.

It is, the main rumor is that the next run will be written by Humphries (not great but hopefully better?)

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Cyclops is forever the worst X-Man and him dying is the one good thing that's happened to the franchise in forever

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Squizzle posted:

And rumor has it that the terms of the Fox contracts are much more one-sided than those of the Sony contract.

IIRC, Fox gets merchandising money from those films and could theoretically hold on to the rights forever if they keep making films. Marvel is never getting the rights to X-Men back, and I doubt they'll get the rights to Fantastic Four back either because Fox would rather eat a bomb every now and then instead of letting Disney potentially make money off those characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
How much of this is due to Perlmutter getting booted from the film division? It feels like the promotion of Inhumans as a replacement for the X-franchise was something only he wanted, and the the Inhumans film most likely being shelved by Feige feels like the end of that major push.

• Locked thread