Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Nope, no bus this time, we've moved on from that phase.

This time, it'll be an exploding plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

Also what human being enjoyed Claremont's X-treme?

I enjoyed it slightly, even though it felt really off-key tone-wise compared to many of the other X-titles of the time. I didn't read the first issues of it and came on around the time that Sage's background began being fleshed out, and while the Sage-worship is hilariously over the top, it's interesting at least to see some Hellfire stand-in get developed that way. To a point, it was an X-Men buddy book when there didn't seem like a whole lot of those on the market, so that's fun. Plot-wise, though, it didn't really go anywhere at all. "Rachel's back! Don't question how! In fact, if you're some teenager not that familiar with the X-Men universe that much, it's gonna be reeeeeally confusing for you who the hell this is, but hey! She's back! Let's party, everyone.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I would think the retcons against Morrison would be less Quesada having a fit and more Claremont having a rage fit, especially since Excalibur is just one long whine about Eve of Destruction and New X-Men.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

He'd have to have gotten that Excalibur gig somehow.

And it's probably more, "Uh, we have to be able to use this character again somehow, and preferably not as a huuuuge mass murderer," than anything personal.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

So I'm reading the early 2000s xmen run after Morrisons, and its pretty cool; Omega Sentinel, Mystique and Mastermind and Sabertooth kinda coming over to the other side. Crazy future people and all, its a good straight storyline then BAM suddenly everyone's all over the place and Cables running around with a baby and Bishop wants to shoot it. There seemed to be no easing into the Messiah Complex stuff. Its just there.

Some of that Messiah Complex stuff had pretext (specifically in the freelancing Cable department) in Cable and Deadpool. But yeah, that's one of my favorite X-Men rosters. Wish more lineups were just a mix of weird instead of "Wolverine/Cylcops + Some Claremeont faves + expendable X-kids who will be dead in 5 years."

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I liked the original Young Avengers series, and I still have a hard time believing they're also responsible for Children's Crusade. It would've been better off if they just didn't even run the series and just printed what few plot points got advanced. "Scott Lang's back, Stature's dead, Rictor has powers, Wanda is back, okay folks, see you in the other books!"

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

In an episode of grief, Beast goes back in time to warn his now-dead "friend" Wolverine, but goes too far and ends up in James Howlette's time. Shrugging, Hank takes the youth back and enrolls him into Jean Grey's, thus giving birth to... Young Wolverine and the X-Men.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Sabertooth was pretty great in that Mike Carey X-Men lineup. He works best as a wild card beast-on-a-leash, kind of like how Bullseye was with the Dark Avengers. As just a villain, his whole gimmick of nastiness has been outdone by a lot freakier characters.

Also, I'd read a Cain Marko/Victor Creed team-up book in the right hands, so I might be a strange fan to get an opinion from on this.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

The problem isn't the catchphrase, the problem is that the X-Men aren't all creepy and freaky looking like they should be. :colbert:

Case in point.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I forget what the deal totally was, but I think it was all in Havok's head or something due to a Psylocke mindscrew. Still one of my favorite covers ever.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Raze could've been an interesting character since Logan and Raven are pretty strange people whose kid would be weird, but he's just written as a blue Sabertooth. Missed opportunity there.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

And there's another missed opportunity, because he should've just been a clone that Hank did because That's The Kind Of rear end in a top hat Thing Hank Would Do.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

It would be really cool if, for once, Wolverine had a kid who wasn't completely and utterly lovely. I know Marjorie Liu tried really hard to spin Daken as a cool Machiavelli in his series, but it felt really uninteresting anyway. A villainous Wolverine kid is always just going to feel like Sabertooth at the end of the day. It'd be much cooler if it were some random kid who finds out, "Holy poo poo, my dad was WOLVERINE?!" To a point, that's what happened to Logan anyway in his origin. Mirror that instead of making another stab in, "Logan's regretful past bites him in the rear end again."

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

If it isn't "Quentin Quire and the X-Men," then it's false advertising.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

My problem with the current lot is that it's too much Bendis in too many books and he's succumbing to his decompression schtick a lot. I don't care about the Original 5 because they're the most boring generation of X-Men. I don't care about Cyclops new mutants because nothing's been done with Generation Hope or New X-Men and the new characters have boring designs and unremarkable characterization. I haven't been able to keep up with the books as much lately, but when I was, I just skipped Bendis stuff, and I say this as a fan of his Avengers stuff until near the end.

In terms of what era I'd like to see replicated more, I wish there was a surreal book like Sienkiewicz's art run on New Mutants. And I really enjoyed the Asgard stuff. I [am[/i] happy the books are returning to school concepts instead of dumb survivalist rehashing, but I wish the older characters would be revisited and developed more instead of nonstop issues about Quentin Quire or a bunch of future cannon fodder. It's not the worst era, but I wish Bendis didn't have such high control of the franchise's direction.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Unmature posted:

Halfway through Battle of the Atom and loving it so far. I don't know how it would make sense, but I hope the young X-Men never leave. Or at least stick around for a few years.

EDIT:
Just finished it. Pretty rad.

There are... to be fair to you... some interesting concepts in it. Jean going evil? Mystique-Logan children? Ice-Man beard? Kinda cool... but... the future people are just cameos who have cardboard personalities that aren't even worth decompacting, and some rear end-pulls, nothing getting resolved, and a general "event book for sake of event book" whose only status quo change was, "Well, you can be definitely sure the O5 won't go back," which answered a question that only burned in Bendis' mind, really.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Have you read Zeb Well's New Mutants? Doug was pretty kickass in that.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Five months after My Chemical Romance broke up is a great time to make Dazzler relevant again by turning her emo, mmm-hmmm, yes, yes.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

The only comic writer Twitter worth following is CB Cebulski's because he posts pictures of cool foods he eats in Japan and stuff. Remender's is okay. A looooot of them suck.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Hanging out with Cyclops gave Mags the necessary self-esteem to go into terrorism again. Getting his powers taken away and begging for it from Celestials has to be some humbling poo poo, and having the protege of your ideological opposite say, "Hey, you had the better idea," has to undo that quite a bit.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I really, really hated Bianchi's art back then. I feel like he's made his art less ugly now and even some issues he did that I actually thought were okay, but that run on Astonishing and the Wolverine v. Sabertooth storyline... it was unreadable. Just puddles of dark ink and ugly rage faces or completely baffling panel layouts.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Archyduke posted:

God, I could not get into Brubaker's Uncanny though. I stuck with it until they went into space, then I flipped through the covers and realized that yeah, that's months and months of space hit I don't know how to care about.

Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire is like if you took Dallas, but removed JR Ewing and any other interesting character, just left the drama, threw it into space, and puked out an ending that ultimately had no point. Then Emperor Vulcan happened to reaffirm how pointless the ending of the previous arc had been.

But hey, it got Havok out of the main universe, and I guess that's what Marvel had been wanting to do since Mutant X ended by approving that, so whatever, keep Havok in bad, irrelevant comics forever and ever, I suppose, until Uncanny Avengers comes along.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

So is the consensus that Guggenheim isn't poo poo like he was with Young X-Men? Because if so, I'll keep that in mind and maybe check it out.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

WatXM - Meh. Maybe it's because I'm relatively new to X-Men books (I just started reading them during BotA) but I don't know who Idie is or why she is so important. Maybe it's because of that that my enjoyment of WatXM isn't as high as I would've hoped but I still like it.

Idie was a new mutant who, in the course of being attacked by the new Hellfire Club, outright kills a bunch of guys. Cyclops just shrugs and says, "That's life," while Wolverine felt like he was basically looking at his fated self in the past and said, "gently caress this, I'm done with mutants as an army anymore." And that's how Schism starts.

Ever since, she, Quentin, and Kid Apocalpyse with the occasional moments of Broo have been all that WatXM ever seems to consistently focus on. While I like those characters, it's annoying that the pertinent cast is so narrow.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

"I don't want you to become like me," Wolverine says as he hands over the samurai sword to Kitty Pryde. "Really though," he says to Rogue as he relentlessly trains her in the Danger Room. "My path is one filled with empty rage," he says before trying to get Armor pissed by insulting her honor. "You've got your whole lives ahead of you, and I don't want you to walk the road I walked on," he tells his students as he leaves them to fend for themselves in the Savage Land.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Things I like:

- Spider-Man
- Rockslide
- Stegron the Dinosaur Man
- No Quentin Quire

This book might as well just be marketed directly to me.

Ha ha if you think Quentin won't be in it a lot.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Diet Poison posted:

Cable and Deadpool tried this when Cable was dragged away to X-Men, and from what I remember it kinda sucked.

Pretty sure Bob, Agent of Hydra first appeared right around then, so it's decent if just for that.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Rick posted:

Scarlett Witch comes in and says "no . . . more . . HOMEWORK!!" and it becomes a Brady Bunch episode where comical things happen because no one does their homework and eventually she has to commit genocide against the Inhumans or something to restore order.

I'd read that book.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I mean, the cartoon was probably my entry point, but the first X-Men comic I even picked up and looked at was the one where Colossus dies to cure the Legacy Virus, so that was a downer. But the first one I read the whole way through and bought was Uncanny X-Men #392, and I thought I was on the ground floor of A BRAND NEW X-MEN TEAM HOLY poo poo.

And when they just all left at the end of Eve of Destruction, I was super pissed.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

So has it been mentioned in here yet that All-New X-Factor is getting cancelled? So that leaves... what, only two team X-books that aren't Bendis meanderings?

Also, sounds like Peter David is pretty pissed about it, but from a sales standpoint. http://www.peterdavid.net/2014/10/01/x-factor/

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymenoserous posted:

Part of the problem is the X-Teams largely sequester themselves from the mainstream marvel universe. They are very insular, and only get drawn into outside events when those events impact them directly. I'd love for Professor X to wander back into the limelight, retcon all of the "Professor=giant douchebag" poo poo they did over the last 10 years and put together a team specifically meant to be a proper superhero mutant/human relations team.

Ultron appears in town square and people run around yelling "Call the Avengers!", lightning strikes the robot to the calls of "Thank god Thor is he... that's not thor!" as Storm decends from the sky and Iceman sleds in.

That was sort of what Whedon's Astonishing X-Men was supposed to be about, but a lot of other poo poo has gotten in the way of that since.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

TwoPair posted:

At the rate Bendis writes, about two months before Logan comes back heyooooo I'll be here all week tip your waitresses

So, next month?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Lord of Pie posted:

So when is the event where the X-men have to gather some magic orbs to get Fin Fang Foom to bring Logan back

I'd read that.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Wolfcub or whatever he was going by just needs to show up in the background of one of the Spider-Man & the X-Men issues. "Wait, weren't you dead?" *blinks* "No." Both parties shrug and part ways.

That... may be close to the worst X-Men series I ever read. I don't know. I really hate Emperor Vulcan, but... Young X-Men was insulting.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Web Jew.0 posted:

Wait what's wrong with Emperor Vulcan?

Vulcan is annoying, Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire was already a lengthy and boring story line, and then Emperor Vulcan didn't change the status quo at all and felt really pointless to me. But then again, it also didn't set up one of the few Muslim Marvel heroes of the time into becoming a villain.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Nobby posted:

Ink.

Remember that motherfucker? And his motherfucking Phoenix tattoo? I just did, and now I'm pissed off all over again.

He's got this... covered.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

Reading Whedon's Astonishing run for the first time and issue 15's final page was magnificent.

Absolutely. Possibly one of my favorite comic panels ever.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Diet Poison posted:

I don't think anyone from Hope's little club really caught on (to be fair there were five of them) outside the background,

Idi was the entire impetus behind Schism and was one of the five or so kids who got any panel time in Wolverine and the X-Men. It is kinda difficult to remember she's Generation Hope since she's been nowhere near the rest of the group for the most part, though.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Probably just as well. As cool as Hickman is, I'm not sure a really intricately plotted X-Men is what the franchise right now after all this time-travel bullshit. But man, the X-lineup is going to be poo poo without Spurrier bringing up the quality. I wish they'd hand the main book over to him or someone exciting or even just beg Mike Carey back, but that's not happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I thought the Sisterhood arc was pretty okay in Fraction's run, but that's the best he got. Too much of it felt like it was trying to go for that Claremont breezy familiarity, such as with a bunch of shoehorned topical issues like H1N1 and Proposition 8. It just felt really cheesy, and then that group of reeeeally forgettable bad guys at the end were really bad. But, as boring as his Bruebaker's run was, at least it didn't couple that with excruciating decompression.

• Locked thread