Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Madrox posted:

I was also unfamiliar with the artist Mahmud Asrar. His linework was solid, and his facial expressions were good enough that they caught my eye.

He was the artist for Dynamo 5. Fun book.

Nice to see him drawing some X-Men with personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

bobkatt013 posted:

They quickly realize something is up when he stops drinking and watching hockey.

By "they", you mean Yukio, who spends the next 15 issues trying to convince the X-Men to do something. The X-Men give no shits. The situation magically rights itself in time for The Wolverine 2.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

bobkatt013 posted:

I expect more out of non slott writers. It's a three issue arc as people are written in character

Oh. If we're actually writing actual characters, …

Sabretooth mindswaps with Wolverine using some tech Mystique purloined. Shi'ar, maybe? Colossus and Nightcrawler instantly notice the difference, lure him into the Danger Room, and toy with The Superior Wolverine until he pleads to be swapped back. Cut to a very confused Sabretooth waking up in bed with an incredibly satisfied Mystique.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Sinister had some plan to do with a bunch of clones of himself. During the early days of the Exctinction Squad, I think? Before AvX.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Even Ultimate Dazzler would say she looks like she's trying too hard.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
"Emma? Baby? Can you do that thing again tonight?"

"The thing where I psychically coerce you into believing that I'm your dead wife while we have carnal relations?"

"... Yeah."

"Ugh. Make it quick."

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

notthegoatseguy posted:

Pak's Storm wasn't mindblowing but it was a very nice introduction issue.

Gave it a shot. It's a nice done-in-one, but there's not even a hint of the kinds of stories to expect in the future, and I can't see Storm excelling like Hawkeye or the new Moon Knight series for long. She just isn't that kind of character.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The art was fine. Standard Marvel fare. Unexciting, but serviceable. I'm talking story. Plot. Dialogue.

Flying back and forth from New York to Africa twice and returning a student with hastily constructed wangst to her family will only get you 22 pages once without getting stale. A little set up for the future would have been a nice reassurance that there's a plan for the book beyond, "Oh poo poo, we need another girl power book so we don't get yelled at."

I enjoyed it enough to give the second issue a try, but it doesn't exactly feel like a long-haul book, and it has nothing to do with the visual aspect.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

notthegoatseguy posted:

I completely disagree that All New didn't suck. Bendis dicked around for 17 pages until they got to the cliffhanger that already occurred in Uncanny a few weeks before.

I got a few chuckles from Bobby and Warren, but pretty much. The stuff with Laura went on way too long, Kitty and Quill seems super forced and completely random (though maybe it was legitimately built up in a book I don't read), the psychic battle filled just enough pages for Jean and Emma to be BEST FRIENDS FOREVER without any explanation why, and then the other X-Men show up to sell yet another X-Men book where, presumably, more nothing will happen, which is just going to be ignored in the next issue of the title I just finished reading so the time-displaced team can meet Miles Morales.

I love the art on this book, but pick a loving plot and run with it for two issues in a row without crossing over into another book. It's not that hard. Lots of comics function that way, and you can too, All-New X-Men.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
It seemed like they were a fairly well-established couple, which was weird, even though they technically do have enough history that they'd reach that comfort level pretty quickly. It definitely makes more sense than Kitty and Quill.

The story itself with Callisto and the runaway kids was a lot more engaging than the previous issue, but I'm still anxious to see an ongoing plot develop.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Wish I could remember the actual issue I first read. I'm pretty sure it had Wolverine cure himself of the Legacy Virus in less than a page, but it might have been some other disease. I know they mentioned his antibodies being used to help cure more people and it seemed like a really good use of his powers.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Will someone please explain to the editors on Storm how captions work?

If something happened last issue, in a niche X-Men title where the only people who are reading it have probably read the previous two issues, you probably don't need a caption. If you're referencing multiple events that have happened over the past decade or so, and that information directly informs the protagonist's relationship with the guest star, that is THE PERFECT TIME to use a caption to encourage the reader to do some basic research, or even pick up some back issues, or trades, or maybe even an entire run of a comic they otherwise wouldn't have read.

The ethical problem of arming a village with a weather machine was cool, though.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Die Laughing posted:

Are you talking about captions or editors notes?

Editor's notes, I guess? Reference captions. Either way, it was not helpful.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Jean was right to voice her concerns for her friend in a semi-private manner. "Bobby, when you constantly talk about how hot all these girls are, it makes the girls, and everyone else, uncomfortable, and it makes you look like a tool. Like you're overcompensating for something. Please cut it out." Everything after that was unnecessary.

I do like, and agree with, Angel's justifications for keeping his cosmic powers.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
If I've said it once, I'll say it a thousand times. Englehart's Stoner Hank is The Beast. All other Beasts are pale imitations.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
There's been some kind of amicable separation looming over the show for a while now, and while I would love for the both of them to keep on X-Plaining right into the modern era, if it's easier (and healthier) to build to a predetermined end point, I hope they do. Better than watching the whole endeavor lurch slowly and awkwardly into a shallow grave. And there's always the hope that someone else will be inspired to do something similar (New Teen Titans!) even if everything turns out just fine and they continue on unimpeded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Fantasticast is solid. Didn't know about Teen Titans Wasteland/Titan Up the Defense. Is there a reason they start reviewing Defenders alongside NTT? Seems like a weird choice.

• Locked thread