Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I really hope the new Cyclops book leads to Rucka making a big return to Marvel, I'm super hyped for that.

Also no way in hell do we start a new thread without the best drat X-Men moment of the last 5 years

From Amazing X-Men #4:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So uh, what the gently caress was up with the new Uncanny? I read it twice and I still don't know what the gently caress happened.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

irlZaphod posted:

Carey has an X-Men OGN coming out soon, he just published a novel too so maybe he's going to return to do more X-Men

I just want more comics out of him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Banshee came back in Necrosha.

Say, why didn't Jean come back that time?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

What happened with Hope? She was the most important person ever for at least a year, and now I have no idea what book she's in now.

They decided to bring Jean back (sort of) so who needs another all-powerful redhead when you can have the original?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wonder if Bendis will quit with the "what's a raccoon?" bullshit now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rick posted:

Charles Xavier was never a telepath but just had been really good at bullshitting the whole time. I mean he managed to convince people he needed to sit in a wheelchair again even though he'd been walking around for years and even spotted roller-blading.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Waterhaul posted:

I do like how basically X dudes just go to chill in heaven for a while whenever they need a break even if this weeks Amazing reached peak Claremont.

Except Wolverine. When his body was co opted by demons his rear end went to HELL.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SynthOrange posted:

Magic hole. Stuff goes in, stuff comes out different. Sometimes it even comes out asian.

Just like the holes in the bathroom stalls!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The way that went down reminded me of how the Celestials treated Machine Man in Nextwave.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nightcrawler was garbage, who the gently caress said it was good?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I guess I just stopped giving a gently caress about ANX but did Bendis actually explain how Corsair came back to life or is that yet another thing he just chucked out the window?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat it. He makes me all weepy with USM #200 but he keeps pushing me away with All New.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Codependent Poster posted:

The correct answer is who cares because it's gonna lead to Greg Rucka writing Scott and his dad having space adventures.

I care, Bendis is just going to keep resurrecting everyone!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shockeh posted:

Frankly, I just want to read 'The Ongoing Adventures of Unit'.

Or just more X-Titles drawn by Clayton Crain or Mike Choi. I'm a sucker for both of their art.

Unf.

Allegedly Crain used an underage model at one point so he's been blacklisted from Marvel.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

notthegoatseguy posted:

They totally meant Hope to become Ignored Teenage X Character 54 rather than something significant?

Rereading Messiah Complex, it really reads like she is supposed to be Jean.

This is correct. I forget who said it (I thought it was Gillen but others disagree) but she was absolutely going to be Jean reincarnated. AvX hosed up a lot of plans though.

Dacap posted:

Yeah, she was definitely changed at some point. The 5 lights have been completely forgotten now too and will almost definitely be killed off next time they need to show a villain as a threat. X-teens get completely ignored for a new group of characters the second the book they were introduced in ends.

Teon just got shot in the newest issue of X-Men.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CapnAndy posted:

Children's Crusade was Age of Ultron-level terrible.

I'd say worse.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Isn't there a spare Wolverine running around from the end of Best There Is or something?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Young Jean implying that she would be totally into old Scott was creepy as gently caress.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cabbit posted:

It pushes him around in space, where there's absolutely zero resistance. Considering he barely knocked his head against the ship when he was firing full blast, it's clearly not much of a push.

Edit: What bugs me is that Warpath's cat-skunk-whatever girlfriend is cheating on Jimmy with Corsair.

Uh, Hezibath (sp?) was Corsair's girlfriend for like 30 years. Long before she ever met Warpath. But of course, we're ignoring that Corsair died or that the San Francisco X-Men era ever happened.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Good money says Bendis ends his X-Men run with the return of the real Jean Grey.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Waterhaul posted:

I'd almost say his run would be worth it if he did but I can't see it happening. From every interview his given over the year he seems to hate the character of OG Jean. I wouldn't be surprised if Young Jean stayed around given that's the version of the character he wants. Of course it's Bendis so his run ain't going to to end for another 5/6 years or so.

Also I finally read No More Humans and it was so good. The ending didn't bother me at all, somebody told Carey to do a mini event but have things back to where they were when he was finished so he did. Really wish he'd come back and do another team book.

He hated the Wasp too but he went out of his way to bring her back right at the end of his run.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Suben posted:

Hahaha, Death of Wolverine will apparently have holofoil covers thus further proving my theory that the '90s never actually went away.

Did the 50+ 3D covers from DC add to that in any way?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IUG posted:

No one talks about the other books a whole lot. Not one person posted in this thread that Doug Ramsey appears to be dead again. :mad:

I tried, I really tried but All New X-Factor fell completely flat for me so I gave up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Byrne would've jumped at the chance to take over X-Men without Claremont on the book.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Metal Loaf posted:

Question is, would he have abandoned X-Men for Superman?

For the amount of money DC shoveled his way? Probably.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

I legitimately had to put the book down when Quinten pulled out the psi-construct flowers and card that read "BeCLAWS I love you" at X-23.

That was the best thing ever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

It's not just comics, artist homage other artists all the time.

I bet that's how Greg Land justifies his tracing.

I'm sorry, his homaging.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rirse posted:

Since the Age of Apocalypse is on sale right now at Comixology for a dollar per issue, I am wondering which issues are worth grabbing from it. So far it looking like Alpha & Omega along with Astonishing X-Men are the main parts of it, but any of the side stuff like X-Calibur, Gambit, X-Man, etc are worth grabbing?

It all tells one big story, plots from each book carry into the finale. I'd recommend getting everything except the Chronicles issues.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

I've said it before, but the Alan Davis run on Exalibur is one of the most beautiful runs of comics, period.

Alan Davis will be my favorite artist until the end of time. He has an artistic skill that few artists have ever come close to grasping. I've never seen anyone utilize negative space the way he has. And his ability to draw larger than life, believable heroes is unmatched.

Plus there's this

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Metal Loaf posted:

The first Avengers comics I ever read were the Busiek/Davis issues where Diablo turns the population of a Greek village into Hulks. I have since read many great Avengers stories by many great artists, but there's still few to equal that one.

I also like that he draws happy characters who smile a lot:

He's one of the very few artists who can draw a good smiling Batman:

You should check out both JLA the Nail minis and Superboy's Legion. Few artists can juggle large casts as well as he can.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Red posted:

My parents definitely made it clear that I didn't get to get a toy every time we went to the store, but they were fine if I ever asked for a comic book. Part of it was that comics were super cheap in the 80s, it meant that me reading it gave them some quiet, and they really really wanted me to read as much as I wanted. I got plenty of comics and traditional books.

Are comics too expensive for parents?

This is why I have 10,000 back issues priced at $1 each.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We had parents drop their kid in our store and he wandered off and they found him in a Wal-Mart hours later. And once a kid left alone and he wiped out and cracked his head on the tile.

I'd love to put a "no unsupervised children" sign up but we get so many kids in on their own and they spend every penny they have in their pockets. It's so stressful.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

At any rate, it's certainly not as bad as the other '90s X-crossover event that's on sale, Fatal Attractions. I haven't read it in a while but I remember it being really dire.

Yeah it's horrible and only notable because of Wolverine losing his adamantium.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You know, Fatal Attractions sucks balls but the X-Force issue was actually pretty good. There's this touching (for a 90's comic) scene where Cable and Cannonball come to terms with all of the lies Cable fed them over the past two years and it ends with the team unified in a new way. Sadly this only lasted until AoA but I'll always love that brief run of comics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Since someone mentioned it earlier, is Assault on Greymalkin worth a read? I haven't read any of that X-Force stuff since I was a kid, but I generally like Fabian Nicieza as a writer and Cable as a character.

It's original, old school X-Force and has work by pre spawn Greg Capullo which is very clean and decent looking artwork. There's a ton of sub plots that are introduced that never get any resolution so be prepared for that as well.

Oh and Cable's not in that arc.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Metal Loaf posted:

I used to have a copy of that issue signed by Greg Capullo.

I've seen a dozen copies come through the store with his autograph on them. Dude used to hit every convention every summer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

Didn't X-force have Strong Guy in it? My least favorite major mutant ever.

He was on X-Factor.

PaybackJack posted:

In the trade "Assault on Graymalkin" it collects 19-25, so he should up at the end of 24 and is central through 25.

Ah, I thought it stopped at #24.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think I'm officially done with All New and Uncanny. Bendis just isn't bringing it to the table enough for me to give a drat anymore, and now I've got Yost and Kyle on Amazing and their first issue was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

You guys are forgetting that Mystique gave birth to Xavier Jr. as Moira McTaggert, so presumably she looked the same when they were bumping the uglies and that's why he still looks 'normal' compared to Raze.

Mystique's shapeshifting could affect a lot more than just her own personal physical appearance.

I can't bring myself to read the issue again but are they implying that Raze is running around as an kid right now?

• Locked thread