Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

irlZaphod posted:

So apparently Gambit has the power to restore robots memories by kissing them.

Also, :ughh:

One of Gambit's lesser defined powers is his ability to charm people so it's not that bad. Honestly if there's someone who's going to have a romance storyline with a robot Gambit+Danger is actually fairly interesting and I'd trust Peter David to write it well enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Waterhaul posted:

...in favor of "they are just superheroes so deal with it".

I really liked this part of the Utopia arc. Cyclops basically telling the Mayor of SF that she had her own giant superhero team whether she liked it or not seemed like it was finally going to move the X-Men into being a giant player that the world knew about, now we're back to the mansion and "silently saving the world" type stuff. Such a set back in my mind, they really could have created a long term status quo, instead we're back to the same old with a new paint job.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Hakkesshu posted:

I'd replace Gillen's Uncanny with Aaron's WatX. Gillen writes a good Namor, but I thought that run was entirely forgettable aside from that one Dr. Manhattan post-AvX issue. Plus, it has Land on art. Hell, I'd put ANXM on the list before that one.

Disagree. I remember a lot more of Gillen's Uncanny run than I do Aaron's WatX. There were a few "fun" issues of WatX but it went off track multiple times, and never really hit any high points. Gillen's X-Men run was consistently good from start to finish. He nailed every character in my opinion. If there's a weak point to the run, it's the Greg Land art but that doesn't stop me from enjoying a lot of it. The Extinction Team; awesome stuff. Love me some Sinister and I'm sad he hasn't been seen since, but then again given who's writing X-Men right now and how poo poo it has been, I'm not all that sad.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Probably Magic posted:

In an episode of grief, Beast goes back in time to warn his now-dead "friend" Wolverine, but goes too far and ends up in James Howlette's time. unbeknown to him his incursion causes a freed slave to get captured and forced to work on a plantation in Canada where his life is saved by Howlett via a blood transfusion, granting him the powers of the feral Wolverine! In an effort to make things right, Hank takes the young man back and enrolls him into Jean Grey's, thus giving birth to... Black Wolverine and the X-Men.

Gotta tie in with a popular movie!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

eliotlucas posted:

For some reason, I envision Claremont swapping X-Men for Fantastic Four with Byrne. I'm thinking just before Fall of the Mutants maybe?

I'd let him go through Inferno. It was a bit of a mess but it wrapped up the Pryor stuff and I have a love of weird stuff like elevators eating people.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

It was nice they gave Frenzy a push during that period as well. Seeing another new face on the teams is always nice. The legacy angle for Rogue was a stroke of brilliance though.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

irlZaphod posted:

X-Cutioner's Song is better than Battle of the Atom, things actually happen in it between the 1st and last issues.

I felt like other than X-Factor it fit into what was happening in the individual books and with all the writers seemingly on board everyone's voice came across much better than in some of the more recent crossovers where there's a few notable characters and everyone else is just there. It seemed like since the cast was more limited they were able to work more characters in.

Fatal Attractions can hardly be called a major event in my opinion since it only took 1 issue of each book and X-Factor and X-Force were both pretty self contained. Wolverine losing the adamantium was a pretty cool plot point for the character. Xavier mindwiping Magneto seemed interesting as well, of course Onslaught was terrible. Either way it was 4 issues, granted they were expensive holofoil covers in the first run, but there was only 4 of them so at worst it lasted a month and was over.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

It also led to X-Force fighting War Machine on Cable's space station in the Battle of the 90's, so I guess that counts for something.

I purchased the trade this is covered in "Assault on Graymalkin" purely because X-Force #19 is one of my favorite comics and having followed New Mutants for quite a while I was so excited to see Sam & Co. setup up into major characters. 20 years later and I'm reading that Sam and Bobby are shirking responsibility on a beach somewhere when Captain America comes calling because Stark needs a human cannonball and a non-flying solar powered punching dude.

Still not as depressing as actually reading the next 50 issues of X-Force volume 1, jesus that comic went to poo poo pretty fast after I quit reading about a year after Fatal Attractions. Back in the day every 25th issue was a big deal so when I got to X-Force and read the big #75th issue where they go to burning man and fight Selene I pretty much vomited in my mouth.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 9, 2014

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought it was due to New Mutants just ending and them taking a break after Avengers v X-men.

The point is more that they were building up Sam as the future leader of the X-Men but instead when he finally got on the team he was the new guy who kept screwing up and they threw away all the confidence he'd built up over the years. Don't get me wrong, I love that he and Bobby are Avengers, and they've been good in it, it just didn't go where it had been leading way back when.

I will say that even though Cyclops eventually got out from under being the "field leader" to full on running the show, that also took a while.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Since someone mentioned it earlier, is Assault on Greymalkin worth a read? I haven't read any of that X-Force stuff since I was a kid, but I generally like Fabian Nicieza as a writer and Cable as a character.

Rhyno posted:

It's original, old school X-Force and has work by pre spawn Greg Capullo which is very clean and decent looking artwork. There's a ton of sub plots that are introduced that never get any resolution so be prepared for that as well.

Oh and Cable's not in that arc.

In the trade "Assault on Graymalkin" it collects 19-25, so he should up at the end of 24 and is central through 25.

That little run is probably my favorite part of X-Force volume 1 because of the status quo it presents for a few issues and yeah, wacky new 90s costumes. The time compression gets a bit wonky as 23-23 take place then 25 plays into events and feels like it should have been a year later or so. Very 90s stuff with them steal Cable's arsenal which includes a giant tank, fair bit of TnA, etc.

I think it's worth $10 but it's also fond memories for me. Somethings feel very different when you get them on a month to month basis then they do when you just read them in trade or in sequence very quickly back to back.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jun 10, 2014

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I never thought of it that way, I just assumed it was another comic character that was stupidly huge but the artist had no idea how to actually draw that.

You should read it, its in one of the annuals and is stylized like Calvin and Hobbes. Which creates a fun tone right uo to when he got hit by the bus and his power activates. Also Strong Guy being a terrible name is often brought up during David's x-factor run among others.

He's currently a demon lord so that's pretty cool. I hope someone can do something with that. The X Factor issue from David's last run where Layla is trying to change the timeline while M and Guido are flirting with each other is my favorite issue of the series. Guido was a great character to have lose his soul. I also liked Darwin "adapting" to Hela by becoming evil as well. Good ideas in that series hard to say why most of them fell flat except: Rahne.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Mr. Maltose posted:

Strong Guy is no longer a demon lord, sadly. Charles Soule had the Thunderbolts oust him, and he rejected their offer to give him a lift out of hell.

Well that's unfortunate. Worth the read?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Echoing the sentiments here that this is completely out of character for Dark Beast. Dark Beast wants to sit in a lab and create monsters, he doesn't hide in a helicarrier drumming up chaos and drama for the sake of it. He doesn't hate the X-Men, they just keep getting in his way but ultimately he keeps going back to just wanting to do whatever in the name of science. I can't believe he'd ever experiment on himself first without having tested something on a million others first. Dark Beast wasn't ashamed of being a Beast so that whole idea is just dumb.

gently caress, Bendis is awful now.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Honestly, I think Schism works, because it's basically the same dynamic the X-Men have always had, just with different leaders.

I mean, the arguments wouldn't be less tired and the teams wouldn't be any less stagnant if it was Xavier and Magneto instead of Wolverine and Scott. This has the advantage of making Wolverine and Scott themselves not be dull as loving dishwater.

I think an early 90s or start of Legacy Magneto & the Acolytes book would have been awesome. I thought the period where he ran the school in the 80s was great.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The Doug Ramsey stuff was only bad because every fight there was a panel of him cowering behind something going "I wish my powers worked in combat!". It was all built up to Fall of the Mutants but it didn't make it any less annoying and dumb because it wasn't there weren't half a dozen X-Men who, while having a combat power, were still perfectly capable hand to hand fighters, christ look at Storm around that time. There was an entire arc where she runs around Japan beating people up without her powers.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I like that Bendis told us none of these future kids death's will matter because they can just reset and try again. Because of this we also now know that in order for this to end they'll need to go forward in time and stop the team before they have their plan in motion.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I see a similar comparison with Bendis' joining X-Men as Slott on Spider-Man. He's made some awful comics, and the status quo he's introduced has been dumb as poo poo at times, but there have been some pretty good stuff spinning out of it and in the hands of other writers it's been a lot better.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Other than X-Factor I'm done reading X-Men books. I started to run with Cyclops then saw that Rucka is leaving the book so no thanks. None of Bendis stuff is any good, and the other books are meandering aimless crap. Update the thread title if Bendis actually decides to write something good or if another writer of talent starts writing something good. Oh I'm still on Cable & X-Force because while it's not great, it's interesting and different.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

irlZaphod posted:

Oh, whoops. I just read the start where he said X-Factor was the only book he was reading. :shobon:

Yeah, I can't blame anyone on dropping X-Factor either. Peter David is the only writer I know that can take a team that's really interesting on paper, write excellent interactions between them, and then toss them into the most boring and bland overarcing stories ever. I love the dynamic between the characters and I love that he's flirting with advancing the "evil Doug" storyline but he really needs more interesting central plots to his arcs.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Decius posted:

At least with AvX they managed to make you able to argue both sides without looking like a complete lunatic unlike Civil War's Pro-Registration.

I'd say both events went off the rails pretty quick in terms of making both sides of the argument look terrible. It was completely reasonable to think at the start of Civil War that sometype of Superhero legislation should be in effect to help regulate those people who have powers that can destroy schools. Then off course the segue quickly into locking people up and internment camps/ forced militarization. While at the same time letting Spider-Man run around letting Spider-Man put muggers in the hospital with his super strength is kind of unreasonable as well, but that got thrown out the window because Stark and Richards just cloned Thor for no good reason and are apparently down with subduing their opposition with fatal levels of violence.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

They had them trying to arrest Captain America before the law even came into effect. They also revealed that Tony hired people to make registration look better.

The point being that both events started off(as in before the actual comics were released) with a viewpoint that was somewhat defensible from either side of the argument, and then bad writing or whatever you want to call it turned both events into "your favorite superheroes act unheroically and do dumb things".

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

We need to buy Peter David a big giant "Thank You" cake for undoing that dumb stuff that Dan Slott had Quicksilver do back in his run on Mighty Avengers. Probably the best issue on the series thus far, good stuff. I was worred because the last arc was a little boring. I also am sad he moved away from Gambit/Danger because Peter David writing a Gambit/Danger/Warlock love triangle would have been amazing. There's a chance we'll still see it but it looks like Gambit's stuck feuding with the head of the company. Doug trying not to become evil future Doug and kinda of being a mentor to the new little girl was good as well.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

What dumb stuff? I sort of liked him blaming the Skrulls for his behavior, and his daughter calling him on his poo poo. Am I forgetting something else he did?

That's it. It was completely out of character from how David had left Quicksilver's character and was a complete step backward. I'm glad we're back to a state where he's able to keep moving the character forward instead of sticking in the "Quicksilver is an egotistical prick who doesn't care about anyone but himself" phase. It was fine that his daughter called him on it, I liked that aspect too, but him doing it in the first place was dumb.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

So he is now back to admitting he is responsible for M Day and the Silent War? I saw that as him trying to fix the character since it was dumb for him to do those things in the first place.

Actually him doing Silent War was awesome and he wasn't responsible for M Day, he was responsible for House of M and that wasn't dumb he was trying to save his sister who's the only person he's ever really cared about other than himself. Silent War was him trying to fix his mistake in a way that went terribly wrong.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Waterhaul posted:

It's an X-Men Avengers thing. Everybody sleeps with everybody else Hawkeye at some point.

Also this. In 10 years we could have an entire Avengers offshoot team of nothing but women, and maybe a dude, that Hawkeye has slept with.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Schneider Heim posted:

I'm a fairly new comic reader myself (started this January), and my inference is that comic book readership has been on the decline since the 00s, so publishers can't afford to keep putting out a book that isn't selling very well. Some are perfectly fine comics that never got an audience due to low name recognition. Sucks but that's how things are nowadays. (I mean, X-Man ran for 75 issues back in the 90s!)

That, and modern comic book storytelling is more on "writing for the trade", that is, story arcs are intended to be collected and read in TPBs. Comics used to be a lot more compressed. (A classic example is Spider-Man's origin in Amazing Fantasy vs Ultimate Spider-Man, which told the same thing in 6 issues). Someone set me straight on this though.

Relaunches have been a big thing for 15 years or so, basically when marketing people realized that a #1 sells a lot better than a #70, they started coming up with reasons to renumber. There was always the argument that new readers don't want to jump into a comic at #70 also, which probably has some validity though personally I never had that problem if I was interested in the comic itself, I started with FF#350 and Spider-man #360~, both of which I followed almost til #400 before my local store stopped carrying them. I actually like the renumbering more, I wish they'd do more to highlight the writer instead of volume numbers, but I like that its a bit easier to collect a full run of something that way. I like the idea of renumbering for each new writer.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

My first X-Men comic(X-Men Classic version) where everyone is in Japan to see Wolverine get married but schenanigans occur and the wedding is called off. Wolverine and Rogue running around Japan beating up people after the rest of the X-Men are poisoned was pretty great. Lot of good art in that issue too.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

As usual with PAD books he had some good ideas and there was a lot of meandering and setup between them. Sometimes his exposition was good, other times so-so, never bad though. I'm a little sad to see the book go simply because after X-Factor got canned and the poo poo show that Uncanny Avengers turned into real quick, we're left in a world where Cable and X-Force is the best X-book; and it's pretty much in its own little world. I'm sure they'll be forced to tie-in with something soon enough then get canceled shortly after the tie-in is announced.

Anyway, 20 issues is probably more than a lot of other writers got, I'm a bit surprised since you'd think that PAD would have a solid 30k subscription rate for all his years of service. Maybe he wore that out after that never ending borefest of the last X-Factor.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I guess the curly hair and the big eyes are "Jewish". Though as far as that goes aren't Jews supposed to have big noses, which she does in the second picture? I have a friend who's convinced that he can tell if someone is white or black in comics by looking at their lips and certain artists piss him off because they don't draw Luke Cage with "black" lips.

It's not shocking that artists don't know how to draw different ethnicities very well; of course as mentioned if she's 3rd generation American then it's a good chance that she doesn't have much Jewish ethnicity left to work with.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

This guy makes a similar argument but makes it about Nerds and Intellectuals instead of Rich people. I think it's a decent argument though I don't ascribe to it myself, nor do I really like this guy's videos.

Yeah, the actual "having powers able to level a city thing" always takes a backseat to "oh we're just mutants, let us just live normal lives" kind of thing. I always thought of the whole thing as less about race or genetic differences and really just saw mutants as counterculture. They were the punks of the 80s, the alternative skaters and goths of the 90s, ect. They dressed different and made life choices that parents and society disagreed with. The fought for ideas that weren't well received in the mainstream and their group was seen as a threat to the "normal" way of living. This is why Thor is ok, but Storm is hated and feared.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 13, 2014

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Chinaman7000 posted:

Cyclops's ultra group was all about being flashy heroes and stepping in the Avengers market, which is what I liked about it. Magneto, Storm, Colossusnaught, Namor! gently caress yeah!

You forgot Hope, Danger and Illyana. The Extinction team. That was the best team, such a shame it only ran for so few issues.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

radlum posted:

So...Magneto this week. I think this was the issue I've liked the least, mostly due to it being a poorly though tie in to AXIS. I like the idea of Magneto assembling a team of villains but the roster seemed a bit random.

Carnage seems to be on the team just so they can write that "Carnage is a crazy hero" book afterwards, same with Hobgoblin. Doom makes sense, Loki makes sense, Mystique and Sabertooth also make sense but Enchantress, Absorbing Man and Deadpool are pretty random. I guess Enchantress is there because they needed another female on the team? Deadpool because he's Deadpool and why not? Absorbing Man because...he's been in the Marvel Agents of Shield tv show?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Brocktoon posted:

I started listening to the first couple episodes of Rachel and Miles X-Plain the X-Men. Does it ever get...not so stilted and scripted? It sounds like just two people reading a Wikipedia entry with lame rehearsed "jokes" inserted and not an actual discussion.

I'm not sure where this style of reporting started, probably Entertainment Tonight or E! or maybe kind of like Talk Soup, Anyway it's really loving annoying, stupid and I wish they'd just cut out that canned phony garbage and just talk like a normal person and report the news.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I think if you were going to turn Evan into Apocalypse this is the best way to go about it, even if he never gets reverted. The idea that the X-Men's most dangerous enemy is also a character that fought and worked to never become that foe but ended up doing so because of magic is an interesting depth to the Apocalypse character and comes back to the root of the character with a save him or kill him situation.

The story was:

Do you kill kid Hitler or try to make him good?

Now it's:

You made kid Hitler good but magic has made adult Hitler evil; do you try to change him back to good or do you put him down before he can hurt anyone else?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I really have no clue what's going on in X-Force but it's amazing.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Soonmot posted:

That's what really sold me on the scene.

So, Wolverines #1....

Aside from the art, and the "let's introduce everyone" intro dialogue, I really enjoyed it. Loved seeing Sinister pop in at the end, although when did Dakken lose his healing factor?

He lost it during the last end of his solo title run by overdosing on drugs. I don't remember if he got it back after that and then lost it again. Was it explained why he's able to not be a horseman now while Banshee is "incurable".

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Spiderdrake posted:

aren't several of the main versions of those characters dead to begin with?

Yes and no. Since Sinister has been cloning them for years we don't necessarily know that the prime of any of them was actually dead(Sinister sent them to live on a nice farm with the other previous Marauders). There were some of them that had last been seen dying/dead though, so you are correct.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Dreqqus posted:

Yeah I remember back in the day when all the 'properties' were pretty well segregated off into their own little corner of the universe and didn't intersect too much. I definitely like the interconnected MU but the X-men always seem to suffer for it.

Interconnected MU gave us X-23 Adventures in Babysitting the Future Foundation. The biggest problem with the interconnected MU is that the "X-Men as minority victims" doesn't work in the larger context, yet every writer seems to think that they're the one to make it make sense. There's a lot of cool stuff people could do but nobody does it. If you'd told me ten years ago that Thor and Asgard could have interesting stories that interacted with the greater MU I'd think you were crazy too.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

No see Bendis has this really good explanation you just have to wait for it

the explanation will come 10 issues later and be in the form of a punchline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I read Morrison's run pretty late after the fact and only walked away liking some of it. He deserves credit for trying to advance the overall world of X-Men, and Quire is a great character now, and everything about his Weapon X stuff was good. However a ton of it feels like he didn't really get the X-Men at all. Very few of them had a voice that was similar to their previous voices. I guess I could say he had a lot of interesting ideas for the characters but the execution was spotty because he didn't do enough service to the characters themselves.

• Locked thread