Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I picked up an issue of Uncanny Avengers and it was just Thor and Cap running around, but it wasn't bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Banshee was in a picture with an 'X' on it in the Uncanny Avengers book I read so I assume he's back and already dead again?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I also think a lot of it is that "power: other people's powers" is a pretty challenging character to have around over the long term and it looks like they already completed her short term arc so she has to be on ice until whatever they have next for her.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I liked Claremont's X-Treme X-Men right about until Lifeguard showed up.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Charles Xavier was never a telepath but just had been really good at bullshitting the whole time. I mean he managed to convince people he needed to sit in a wheelchair again even though he'd been walking around for years and even spotted roller-blading.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Red Skull was, at his core, was a good person. He was just a little over his head, and the differences between him and Captain America were just cultural misunderstandings, or the confusion that patriotism breeds. At least until Red Skull came across Xavier's brain. It forced him to consume it. It forced him to hate. It forced him to kill.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Uatu is probably one of the biggest examples of "someone developed the character a little but let's ignore it" dude in comics.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Spiderdrake posted:

You know, arguments aside I really don't feel like Bendis wants to be on the X-books. It just comes off as rather negative and phoned in, with constant retreads or actual re-use of previous frames in canon. Spending multiple pages showing the Cyclops plane scene just killed my interest in the book, as odd rear end it sounds, it's several pages he put zero effort into. The plot is moving extremely slowly, and he isn't really exploring much of anything new. The original five. The phoenix. Time travel to re-use characters or ideas. Sentinels. Isn't the trial of Jean Grey something they've done in canon before? Isn't it seriously just a rehash of an idea except it is young-has not-done-it Jean Grey?

Some of his issues I've really liked but as a whole I find my interest slipping away. I got bored during ANXM #25 and just put it down.

This is like Fear Itself tie-in level Bendis. I would really enjoy if the Cyclops stuff felt like his Dark Avengers with a bit more ambiguity.

The impression I get is that Bendis has a strong affinity for the early X-Men work, but much less so for everything that has happened in between. It probably was the same for the Avengers, but it's much easier to ignore 1970-2000 and tell a good Avenger story. You can't do that with X-Men. I'm not saying everything that's happened in the X-Men is essential by any means, but it's also harder to just go back to the core concepts of those old times.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Spider-Woman, Iron Fist and Dr. Strange sternly demand that Cyclops and Wolverine shake hands. They do and the schism ends.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It's not that I don't like Magneto as a villain, it's that I think his story arc as a villain ran its natural course (other than if he was permanently killed, the only thing that could happen was he was redeemed) and my problem is when lesser writers decide to have him twirl a mustache because they can't think of anything else to do. That isn't to say there still aren't some really good stories out there that could be told with Magneto as a villain, but it's going to have to be built to and we're far away at the moment.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Waterhaul posted:

The thing with real life metaphors for the X-Men and a character like Magneto is they are both things that can be done but just take that extra bit of effort to do well. There's contradictions in how they work but with the effort you can do a lot of fun things with them, even have something worthwhile to say with them.

It's actually kind of frustrating that Marvel have moved away from attempting to push the X-Men in an interesting direction the last few years (with say the exception of Legacy) in favor of "they are just superheroes so deal with it".

It's really sad when Archie is more daring and envelope pushing than the X-Men, but here we are.

I think comics are a nice medium to examine or challenge social conventions, because in general the consequences can always be reversed or undone, but Marvel backed far away from that years ago, which is sad because I think the 70s, 80s, and sometimes even the 90s comics did a lot of interesting things and were legit literature.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The problems with the X-men are, with some exceptional bright spots, more than a decade old.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

SirDan3k posted:

I kinda hope with the whole Inhuman push that they reveal all the new mutants are actually Inhumans, that the Phoniex didn't do poo poo and mutants are still dying off.

Well, that was the premise of Earth X which was originally going to be the official Marvel Universe Origin Story at one point until they backed off.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I hated the AvX tie-ins but I hated everything about that event. Overall though I thought his run was pretty good, I really wanted to see where the Unit stuff went.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
That's too bad, Hope is an interesting character. A messiah that nobody likes all that much.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Probably Magic posted:

Some of that Messiah Complex stuff had pretext (specifically in the freelancing Cable department) in Cable and Deadpool. But yeah, that's one of my favorite X-Men rosters. Wish more lineups were just a mix of weird instead of "Wolverine/Cylcops + Some Claremeont faves + expendable X-kids who will be dead in 5 years."

Yeah, I really liked that lineup and I thought it had a lot of potential. It reminded me of the pre-adjective-less team, which was one of my favorite teams.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I thought Children's Crusade started well but maybe it's just love for the characters involved. It lost me pretty quickly, though.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I thought it was really good. I don't think people liked the UK Marvel arc but I love that poo poo.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Probably Magic posted:

In an episode of grief, Beast goes back in time to warn his now-dead "friend" Wolverine, but goes too far and ends up in James Howlette's time. Shrugging, Hank takes the youth back and enrolls him into Jean Grey's, thus giving birth to... Young Wolverine and the X-Men.

Finally a chance to make Wolverine a more modern hero, who just can't stop riding his longboard and taking selfies during combat.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Sabertooth was only good in Age of Apocalypse/Exiles.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It feels like every Wolverine main-Wolverine-book story now is the attempt to write the arc that's going to inspire the next movie rather than to write a good Wolverine story. I've thought they've done a lot of good one-shots the past five years or so but the main book has almost always been toxic (although there were a few bright spots for sure)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Man I just realized I know nothing of what was happening in comics outside of X-Men between the 70s and the 90s.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Man so much of Longshot got co-opted by Gambit.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
For maximum Excalibur Nightcrawler fun start at 42, because that's when Davis came back and started really pushing the "Captain Britain is incompetent, Nightcrawler is actually the brains behind this team" angle that Claremont toyed with but never went all the way.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
If I could only take one box of comics to a desert island it would mostly be full of Excalibur.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Man, AoA was really painful as a kid with ten buck a week allowance. I was skipping lunch to buy comics and I still only was able to get one or two issues of the side stuff.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I liked X-Tinction Agenda but it was one of those things that was out when I was very new to comics so it's probably nostalgia more than anything.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

The only one I'd be sad to see go is Molly. But gently caress Raze and Xavier Jr.

When Wolverine is dead, I hope his place is taken by Laura on all the teams.

Wait, wait, I haven't read current X-men for a while. Do you mean the future evil brotherhood is evil now in their current 616 forms, or did they visit again from the future?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Mystique seems like the type who would probably keep some DNA samples on ice for gross purposes.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Diet Poison posted:

Now, didn't she say something like "I'm sorry Charles, I can't do it" when X Jr was born? Maybe, because Comic Books, Charles foresaw his own death and booked some time with Mystique's uterus to drum himself up a shiny new clone body (explaining why X Jr looks just like Charles) and when the baby was born, Mystique had a crisis of conscience and decided she couldn't plug the Professor X Backup Soul Drive into the baby at the cost of its natural soul or whatever.

It's stupid, but still less stupid than a lot of X-stuff.

One thing I've always wondered about is what happened to the first body that the Shi'Ar cloned for Xavier. Is it on ice somewhere? Or did they bury or cremate it after the cloning process? It's creeps me out.

Maybe Mystique found it and . . . did some gross stuff.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Diet Poison posted:

I'm not gonna defend the Dark Beast reveal as anything other than unimpressive, but who should it have been? We weren't given any clues at all. The only time a villain reveal is good is when it makes you go "it all makes sense now!"... and I'm struggling to come up with a better villain than Dark Beast. I was expecting it to just be some other future-character from the lame future-Brotherhood that hadn't been addressed in ANXM.

I like the Bendis X-Men while I'm reading them, for the most part, but they do not hold up to analysis at all. I think they're fun, but that's the best I can say about them.

Mr. Sinister makes some sense especially since he's been actively around mucking with things.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Diet Poison posted:

When did we last see Sinister? (For real, I have a loving dreadful memory) And what state was he in? Reading the Wikipedia article on him to refresh my memory, he had a pretty good thing going for himself and was spectacularly foiled as Gillen's X-Men run ended. He would have been the perfect villain for a revenge arc like this. Say a result of him being a clone of a clone of a clone of a clone meant his body was breaking down, hence the fancy mysterio-esque suit. The convoluted grand plan is more in his wheelhouse than Dark McCoy's, too. Go back a few issues and hide a loving diamond symbol somewhere in his poo poo and there you go, all of a sudden the big reveal is way less lovely. And then don't have him die right away. Or do, but then splorp- another Sinister is shat out of a cloning machine in a cave somewhere that the recently-dead Sinister didn't even know about. The X-Men think they've won, but they're wrong. I'll get you next time, Gadget, etc.

Now where's our time machine and our paycheck?

Exactly! And if Mr. Sinister was busy, just role out Ms. Sinister. Or maybe there's a Mrs. Sinister around somewhere.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Unmature posted:

This thread needs some positivity.

I just read Schism and it kicked rear end. I hope Regenesis is as good. I also read the first issue of X-Men, the all girl one and liked it. It's a good issue, not great, but I hear it picks up. All the next X-Men are the women so even if it's not a super fun book like WatX or ANX it should still be interesting.

Yeah I really liked Schism, and the plan going forward was solid. I wish it had been given more time to breathe.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Unmature posted:

The recent stuff has me more interested in the X-Men than I ever have been. For years and years I'd jump on to a book and within a few months get bored and drop it. But I'm ravenously devouring the latest X-Men stuff and loving almost all of it. I haven't tried the new Uncanny yet, but I loved AVX, ANX, WATX, X-Men and all the Schism stuff. And I think it's the best status quo in years. And Bendis's stuff has been some of the best.

Also, if I didn't like it I'd stop reading it because I'm a loving sane person.

Eh, if you loved AvX I withdraw my earlier support for your taste.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Just because we have different tastes doesn't mean we have to be dramatic v:shobon:v

I definitely like some of the X-Men stuff still, just nothing with Bendis.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Maybe it was a DAUGHTER and that daughter married Corsair and Legion is the fourth Summers brother.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Metal Loaf posted:

It's kind of weird looking back at the really early Lee/Kirby stuff where their deadliest enemies were guys like the Vanisher and the Blob, and they were the ones that'd get Xavier going, "Cerebro has detected a new mutant who could be the deadliest threat the world has ever known!"

Hey Vanisher would prove to be pretty powerful . . . sixty years later or so when he was on X-Force.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Wanderer posted:

You'd have to do something with Xavier first, like give him a slightly better upbringing. Stuff like Deadly Genesis and its ilk didn't come out of nowhere. One of Xavier's plot beats since the start was always how he wrapped a lot of arrogance and self-righteousness up in all his nice-sounding talk about the Dream, and that goes back to the Silver Age.

I suspect what you'd end up with is "what if the Illuminati existed in the Silver Age?" Which could be fun by itself.

This really isn't true. Most of the more negative stuff from that era are things that were (or at least bordered on) culturally acceptable when the story was written, and most of that started to fall away as the story telling got more sophisticated and comics got more progressive. Outside of Morrison (who took a more complicated look at Xavier that was mostly retconned away), we had roughly 30+ years of Xavier being written as mostly a moral paragon (to the point that several times there were several storylines where characters were rebelling against the unrelaism of Xavier's ideals because other humans were too flawed to live up to the ideals he could).

It's too early to say where this current arc is going, but Deadly Genesis was roughly equivalent of a story that revealed that Steve Rogers was a horrible racist based on the fact that Captain America used to drop racial slurs in the silver age.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

Eh, honestly, I think that's kind of an exaggeration. I can barely remember it -- that's how unmemorable it was -- but we are in a world with Brian Wood and Bendis on X-Men that are terrible and rather memorable as such. At least Ellis had the characters' voices and motivations down properly.

Aside the dumb techno-babble, I think the worst thing about it was the core idea of non-mutants-but-mutants had already been done both by Claremont's Neo and Carey's Children of the Vault, plus the mystery surrounding them was underwhelming as heck.

I still have no clue what Forge was on about but yeah overall it wasn't horrible, it was just there. You could read like the first couple of issues and the last issue and catch the gist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MY ABACUS! posted:

I think you're right, but the X-Men books in particular seem to have a huge focus on the future and new generations. They also hamstring it by keeping a lot of old characters around who haven't had an interesting personal story arc in 30 years.

This is actually the part that's difficult for me. I can keep track of the old characters, they don't change that much. But the fact we've had two whole new generations in the recent history and we're working on a third. And a brand new future. And a Classic X-Men team. It's a lot.

• Locked thread