Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Timett posted:

they shouldn't talk about ios games so much

This is my issue with Video Games Hot Dog but maybe it's just me being a cellphone-abjuring luddite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Personally, I don't hate it, but I'm never going to play any of them and they don't tend to be very interesting to hear about, especially all the derivative puzzle games and whatnot. Obviously if they play a lot of them they're going to talk about them, I just don't enjoy it.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
It isn't different to the former, certainly, though I'm a lot more likely to try a new genre than buy a phone. I was about as entertained when Idle Thumbs talked about PS4 launch titles as I am by the average iOS game discussion. I'm not making some weird attack on the platform itself, it's just that VGHD in particular talks about a lot of iOS games and most of them aren't very interesting to hear about.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I sent in a message about Don't Starve specifically. I'm pretty sure he played like 50% of the game but did so back when it was 10% done and somehow it never occurred to anyone that the disparity between experiences might be accounted for by the amount of content in the game having increased by an order of magnitude between then and now.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Hey Gary I found a new version of Mario Paint Composer for you to try. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qcjCnkbROY

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
That particular video was done with a program feeding in the inputs, but you can totally just play a little trumpet solo in the middle of a match, it's great. Big Band is currently only available in the beta client but you can access that with any Steam copy of the game. In a week or two he'll be in the main client and console versions as free (for a couple months) DLC.

On a related note, are there any podcasts (other than maybe the Bombcast?) that have fighting games on the radar as anything more than a curiosity?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
"Problematic" isn't a tumblr meme, it's just overwhelmingly the word used around internet social justice circles to describe sexist/racist/etc. elements in media and society, to the point where it starts sounding like nails on a chalkboard after a while.

I haven't listened to the episode yet, but I can see how someone would think it was funny that she used it right after a discussion about overused phrases. Cool your nerd jets, geez.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I'd just like to bring up the possibility that South Park is actually awful and you're giving it way more credit than it deserves.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Hell, just the idea that "slurs only have the power you give them" or whatever is extremely pervasive and extremely dangerous; I'd write off South Park as actively harmful to social equality just on the basis of helping to spread that poo poo, and it's certainly not the only or probably even the greatest offense its writers have committed.

The more I think about how much time was spent discussing it in anything resembling a positive light, the more it makes me kind of ill, honestly.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I've been growing increasingly tired of Idle Thumbs' insistence on keeping in like two minute stretches of them dancing around a conversation that they maybe do or don't want to have and marveling at eachother's idiosyncrasies or whatever it is they're doing during those segments. I don't know if they've been doing it more often or if I used to think it was funny, but that and the fact that I got absolutely nothing out of even the segments of this last episode that weren't a complete waste of time are starting to make me think I should stop listening.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

zapjackson posted:

I'm gonna try to thread something stupid together.

Well I'm two minutes into it and I'm gonna go ahead and call this a rousing success.

EDIT: Can you just gently caress with Riff's audio every episode even when everything goes well? He thinks the listeners are suuuper stuuupid so he deserves it anyway.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 21, 2014

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Sorry, bit of an old running joke from their Kingdom of Loathing podcast.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 08:26 on May 22, 2014

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
There's no sexy costumes in Touhou, let alone worn by children, so I'm not sure where you're coming from with that one.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
The actual games are pretty much 100% clean and creep-free. It does have an all-female cast of fairly young-looking characters though, so it attracts the kind of awful fanart you've presumably seen.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Latest Abject Suffering has the best intro out of all of them. Possibly out of all of Duckfeed. I can't stop laughing.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Woffle posted:

You guys are sweet. Did anyone ever give the Pitch a shot?

I love the Pitch. Somehow the Josh Groban puns never get old and if I could cast a blood spell on you that would make you do more writing about Behehendendrendehenen I surely would.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
MP3s off RSS feeds, listened to on my desktop or my increasingly less functional cheapo MP3 player.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't know what to say about the latest Abject Suffering so I hope stone-faced applause while tears slowly roll down my cheeks will suffice.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I want to believe that correlation is not causation but boy was this a good episode of Idle Thumbs after what I felt was a decline in quality and boy was Danielle Riendeau not on it.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Aug 29, 2014

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Nobody's saying Sarkeesian's unassailable just because most of the people assailing her are mouthbreathing misogynists. Nobody needs to append "but there's some people with valid points too" to their condemnation of harrassment.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

al-azad posted:

If you aren't disgusted that your hobby is shared by someone who tells a stranger on the internet they're going to come to their home and shove objects up their oval office for voicing a minority opinion then you're not on the sidelines you're proving somebody's point.

I'm disgusted that they're doing it. Them sharing one of my hobbies doesn't have much to do with it - if it specifically bothers you that they're giving "gamers" a bad name, you might want to ask yourself why you identify as "a gamer" to begin with.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Your way works too posted:

Every time someone mentions papers please on a gaming podcast it is accompanied by a statement that the game is not fun or not "supposed to be fun". It always makes me feel like I'm playing the game wrong or something because I love the gameplay of it.

This seems like it would be more appropriate for Cart Life anyway. Papers Please is sort of terrifying but nowhere near as stressful as Crushing Poverty Simulator 2011.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

coyo7e posted:

I'm a fisherman, and a gardener. A lot of people who're at least as much or more into thosee hobbies as I am, regularly come off as ignorant lunatics. Should I make up another word for all my hobbies just because weird people also enjoy the same things as I do, despite my not spending time around them or agreeing with them?

Maybe it's some kind of weird privilege showing on my part but I would not describe myself as "an X" with regards to any of my hobbies, I'd just say "I like to fish on the weekends and in my spare time I cultivate a garden in my back yard." or whatever and if someone responds with "Ugh, you're one of those gardeners, I hear they're all arsonists and cat murderers." I would just stop talking to that person because they're an idiot.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Szmitten posted:

Also, this discussion might be better for the gamers.txt thread rather than here.

Funnily enough gamers.txt got gassed for turning into a GBS thread about Zoe Quinn.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Al! posted:

I never heard this story before.

Probably because it's from one of those lovely "satirical" news websites that just posts fake news with no actual joke attached.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
EDIT: I basically don't know what I'm talking about but I would love to see Nier on WOFF.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 6, 2014

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm not a fan of ads for obvious reasons but when they need to be there I prefer they be droning and sad like Gary reading Audible copy. I feel a sort of idiot kinship with him for sounding as miserable reading an ad as I am hearing it.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

ja2ke posted:

Haha, this is every negative comment about Idle Thumbs 2008-2011, I think. :(

This is going to sound mean but it's more like -2014 if you ask me.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Is there like a Worst of Dan Ryckert collection somewhere? I don't listen to the show but I've heard rumors of him wanting to sous-vide half a dozen whole chickens in a bathtub or something and I want to know more.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah, Valve is pretty good about keeping silhouettes and animations consistent no matter how gaudy the cosmetics get, so they never really get in the way in their free to play stuff. Contrast with Heroes of Newerth which has cosmetics that completely replace character models so you just have to learn the hard way that the lava golem and the lava scorpion are actually the same guy.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
When members of your 'movement' are personae non gratae on 4chan of all places you've hit one hell of a nadir.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I played Minecraft for about a week and am amazed that everyone else apparently failed to get bored of it after that long, but I've resigned myself to being in the minority on that one. The modding stuff remains baffling though - are there any actual numbers about how many people play modded minecraft? I feel like the kind of person that is going to post on SA about Minecraft or make a videogame podcast is way more likely to do something like install a videogame mod than the average guy and Zack is probably right. My opinions and assumptions about Minecraft have been shown to be garbage though, so I don't know.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
There's plenty of reasons not to like Zoe Quinn and various other people targeted by the horseshit brigade but their failings aren't anywhere close to comparable and pulling some "everyone is terrible" South Park garbage is indistinguishable from siding with the people making the rape and death threats.

EDIT: (please disregard the "plenty of reasons not to like Zoe Quinn" part, it was misguided cushioning of the point)

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 30, 2014

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Piss off, Invictus, I don't have anything to prove to you. There's as many reasons to dislike them as anyone else on this planet that puts words on the internet. The fact that I don't like a few games journalists doesn't make me a gamersgatelord.

EDIT: (this post was a bad idea and misrepresented what I was actually trying to say)

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 30, 2014

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I have to assume you're just misunderstanding my point, because "the people being targeted are bad too" is precisely what I was arguing against. They're not "bad, too" and that's not what I said, that was BexGu. What I said is that I dislike some of them, or I guess their writing, if that makes it sound like less of a personal attack. My point is that there's no conceivable reason for disliking them that puts them on the same level of "poo poo" as the literal criminals currently attempting to ruin their lives.

In retrospect I kind of stepped on my own caltrops by cushioning the point in "it's okay to dislike people" because it shouldn't have needed saying and doing so made me sound like I was giving legitimacy to the exact sort of South Park bullshit I had intended to call out. My bad.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 25, 2014

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Don't say "janky" y'all.

What, is it an obscure racial slur?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Since you guys on WOFF didn't spend much time on the higher difficulties in God Hand and since my life is Hard Mode and my hometown is Level Die, here's most of what level affects:

- Like you suspected, the higher your level, the less inclined enemies will be to take turns when fighting you. Demons are still one on one fights unless you intentionally piss off another guy.
- Demons are loving assholes.
- Enemies start blocking faster and push back much earlier, which makes predictive dodge-canceled guard breaks much better than reactive ones.
- On Die, all non-tiny enemies are immune to getting blown away by normal launchers and highly resistant to sweeps unless you get a counter hit or they're already dizzy, making crowd control much harder.
- A lot of enemies have one or two moves that wax and wane with the difficulty; for example, generic world 1 fat guys have a slow charge move that they only do on low levels, whereas on high levels they'll substitute it with E. Honda-ing at you at increasingly ridiculous speeds.
- Nearly all moves that aren't directly level dependent either get faster or involve more hits, especially on 3 and Die. For a particularly painful early example, you have maybe a quarter of a second to react to Elvis's jump-stomp dodge counter on Die. Quick time events also have smaller and smaller windows.
- Enemies will dodge and counter heavy attacks with infuriating regularity, to the point where any move that you can't cancel the recovery of is suicide unless you know for sure they can't punish you for it.
- Little devil challenges are played at your current difficulty level and reward you proportionally.
- Lastly, there are encounters that are completely different or don't happen at all depending on level. I don't know how many of these there are but the big one I recall is Mr. Gold and Mr. Silver's waves of henchmen - there's two basic elites at the end that jump in through the windows if you're on Level 3 or Die.

It's a really well-crafted system, probably one of the best implementations of dynamic difficulty I've ever seen. If you're willing to beat your head against Level Die for a while you should try out Hard Mode, it's a hell of a drug.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 17, 2014

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

This is probably a bit oversensitive but please don't say this. I've never seen it on here in a context that wasn't "I'm a fyad superstar and I'm here to tell you depression isn't real." and it's really uncomfortable to see it coming from you.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 25, 2014

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I stand by what I said. The only place I've ever seen "sadbrains" is as an edgy goon slur for depressed or otherwise mentally ill people. Apparently it might have originated as a self-descriptive term rather than an insult but it's been used enough like that to make me uncomfortable.

EDIT: VVV No harm done, I've heard you talk enough to know you're on the right side of this, it just sort of hit a nerve.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
It's to my knowledge exclusively a fyad/gbs thing to use it that way, it's not exactly going to get you sour looks in polite company. If nobody else minds it then don't let my hangups derail the thread any further, it's not triggering my tumblr PTSD or anything.

• Locked thread