Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Just piping in for Retronauts love, I've only been listening since the start of the newest series but I'm gonna say that these two Retronauts-proper episodes are the most fun ones I've had the pleasure of listening to. Especially the Parappa episode, since it's a blast listening to several guys talking about a specific topic they're passionate about. And then, even the Yasumi Matsuno and Ivalice episodes have been massively fun to listen to a much more specfic (and admittedly, more inheirently interesting) topic that I've had a blind-spot about.

Mostly just spreadin' the love, and remember Mr. Servo, ya gotta guitar in the mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Edit: dumb joke making fun of the last poster saying 'Video Games Shot Dog'

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Strange, 'cause I'm literally the opposite, where I usually disagree with Zach when it comes to videogames and possibly a few too many of his personal opinions. On the other hand, I enjoy the fact that Riff and Kevin are also there to help give it a different tone to pretty much any other podcast. So when there's a disagreement, it's at least more interesting than Idle Thumbs where they only ever agree on anything.

But on the other hand, it is a bit frustrating when the Don't Starve argument boils down to Zach saying, "I had a bad experience and the fact that the game could easily create a bad experience means that it is a bad game," while Kevin says, "the fact that the game can create a bad experience does not discount that it can create a good expeience and therefore can't be a bad game." Which distilled into another form basically means, "this game is subjectively bad, therefore it's bad" and "the game can be subjectively good, therefore it shouldn't be bad" which are arguing for two different arguements; which are two different arguements for two different debates which inevitably ends with a

DrKennethNoisewater posted:

"nuh-uh" vs. "yeah-huh" style debate.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah, I guess I should have mentioned that when Zach doesn't espouse his bad opinions he's pretty much the best. :allears:

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Woffle posted:

Just trying to get it in before the thread gets locked because of video game men.

Misandry! :monocle:

Well I guess you lost one valuable customer Mr. Butterfield! :arghfist::reject:

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Gary, I just wanna let you guys know that the latest Abject Suffering skit is the funniest one you've guys done yet on either that show or WOFF.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Dear WOFF,

gently caress YES THE REPLACEMENTS!

Sorry for being an episode late, but I felt self-concious.

Sincerely,

A Fan

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Old Swerdlow posted:

The Idle Thumb guys have been tweeting about Neil Cicierega's Mouth Sounds mashup album and it is really good while also being incredibly stupid.

If you want to hear Smash Mouth's Rockstar mashed up with John Lennon's Imagine, give it a listen.

No you need to hear the theme of Full House on loop. It is literally artful.

Also, if this isn't legitimately great then I don't want to know what is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRdSoZO-5mM

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
It's a webcomic that uses obfuscation to make it seem complex and uses that illusion of complexity to make it seem

In reality it does some interesting things with the format of webcomics and web-based media, and is also an interesting unintended experiment where a medium is defined by the fanbase rather than the fanbase being the gateway to it. On the other hand, the comic/author/fanbase (as they are all one) are stuck inside it's own rear end that they have collectively made irony and sincerity into the same thing, separated it, redefined the terms, and then stuck them back together causing some weird chain reaction that caused homestuck to become a half-sentient monster that mankind will not be able to understand for years.

However, it's predecessor, Problem Sleuth, is actually kinda good.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Okay, I just listened to the start of the newest WOFF and all I want to say is; KOLE, THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS! :qq:

Though seriously, this is probably the best sketch you guys have done, awesome job! Can't wait to finish the episode

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Samopsa posted:

My duckfeed.tv ranking list: Bonfire Side Chat, Watch Out for Fireballs, The Level, Check it out Comrade!. I don't really listen to the rest enough to give an opinion.

I would put Abject Suffering right below WOFF and BFC, but that's 'cause I literally can not get enough Gary and Kole. I tried listening to the Level once, but it didn't grab me so I stopped after one and a half episodes. The rest I haven't listened to yet.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

regulargonzalez posted:

Android - Podcast Addict. I dislike it quite a bit but am also too lazy to switch. It's a conundrum without a solution.

I use this one personally, and I have no real complaints. So what don't you like about it?

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I also like how Gary has an adoption complex; first Andre, now Crick. :allears:

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Ditto, I mean that literally, I'm not a developmental psychologist but everything I've heard regarding the subject tends to mention that the development of empathy is something that happens during adolescence and not ingrained since birth.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I doubt that's real, it doesn't have his title.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Jimbot posted:

I ultimately think we'll just have to agree to disagree. Exploitation, stereotypes, manipulation. Those are extreme words and while I'll give you stereotype for the roles but a story is meant to make a person feel certain ways during certain moments. It plays to a person's empathy and they get engaged in the story being told. Of course I want to save that person, of course I want to vanquish that evil. You can cast anyone in the role of the princess be it woman, man, trans or beast (like saving your puppy) and likewise anyone can inherit the role of the knight or the dragon. But to comment on your point about blackface: you can cast only one person in the role of an African American man and that is an African American man. But this was during a time of racism where African Americans weren't hired or (most likely) allowed to act in a motion picture. I think a better example would be casting an African American in the same kind of role over and over again.

Part of Anita's criticism is that it is primarily women who are used as plot devices because the writer assumes that the audience has a 'natural' reaction to a woman in distress; which is a problem because it normalizes the 'woman in distress' trope and tends to make writers (even if they don't realize it) assume that women are a better fit for being the damsel or someone to be avenged.

Now personally I don't think that all games writers want for women to be in distress, and I imagine more writers get satisfaction out of playing with devices such as these (e.g. a game where a woman is the protagonist saving a man). However the ultimate decision of who gets to star in games in general is in the hands of the audience; all big name publishers decide that almost all games should star men because they assume that the audience wants to have simple stories without too many radical changes. The publishers assume this because audiences don't ask for games starring women, and I appreciate Anita for giving people the (admittedly rudimentary) tools to think critically about female representation after years of normalization of the tried-and-true 'woman in distress' and similar tropes.

Ultimately I don't think that she's trying to give a 200-level university course to provide nuanced feminist theory in media; she's trying to reach to those on the 'middle of the fence' or wants to know more about such subjects but has minimal knowledge.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Actually, I'd be interesting if they joined Duckfeed and took over the name of Watch Out for Lens Flare.

Duckfeed would skyrocket in popularity and the McElroy's would take over the network

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I would adore a solo cast too, my favorite casts are 99% Invisible and Hardcore History; plus I'm getting a little tired of the whole "three to five guys sit around a table and talk about stuff" format (especially since some of the good ones are dipping in quality as of late).

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Oh my god what the hell is this beautiful poo poo? Is it the new COD?

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Speaking of hosts reading the thread; I want to say that you and Kole should do that "of Monster and R.E.M."* podcast that you guys talked about on the latest Abject Suffering. Personally, I'm not actually a fan of R.E.M., I've only listened to Murmur and concluded only that Radio Free Europe is a pretty cool single. But I also tend to have music suddenly click for me once a real fan starts talking about why they like it.

*I demand royalties if you use my title, I won't let it go for less than 5% of every copy sold.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

al-azad posted:

You think DKC is unappealing?

I think this TV show is the biggest reason why I hate DK. It's just so bad...

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Gary and Kole; I have to say that you guys have great chemestry with VGT's Jenny. I hope you guys have her guest on one of your shows again in the future.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Hey, Chris and Jake, I am just curious about your response; do you guys think that there should be some degree of consumer advocacy in the enthusiast press. I can agree with your points about the tone and intent behind the article, and with other comments made about it; but I still agree with the intent, that consumers are upset with the product that Molyneux "sold" them and want to hold him accountable for the misinformation he gave. Do you think that websites should have features like this, though maybe in a different form or tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Verisimilidude posted:

I'm not sure if I like the Super Best Friendscast. There's four people and one of them is really obnoxious, but he's also speaking the majority of the time. It's neat because it kinda reminds me of staying up late chatting with friends about video games, but then it also reminds me of why I'm glad that part of my life is over.

I like it for this reason, it's hard to find a good podcast that doesn't consist of industry-types talking from an industry perspective.

• Locked thread