Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
SotC and Killer7 are two of my favorite games, can't wait. Did y'all play the HD remake or the original? The HD version is perfect, although slightly harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

C-Euro posted:

I gotta admit, hearing Patrick say "No way is there a Kinect-less SKU announcement at E3" on the newest Bombcast, then listening to Idle Thumbs immediately after and hearing "Kinect-less SKU announced today" was pretty funny. Not to bash Patrick though, because he's technically right :v:

I caught the version that Vinny edited, which is downright hilarious. I'm pretty sure there's a version up on YT if you're curious.

Seriously, Vinny should host/edit every Bombcast, he's way better than Jeff at it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Woffle posted:

I believe it and tried it briefly. I really dislike that game.

Easily the worst part of Skyward Sword, which has some very good parts that add up to a terrible, lovely whole. It's the only Zelda game that I didn't finish after I started playing it (I never tried Majora's Mask so it doesn't count)...the end boss was just too frustrating with the motion controls. Even after getting the hang of the controls for most of the game, I found them to be Not Fun At All.

Groose4Lyfe, tho.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I spent like 20 minutes coming up with a "I love duckfeed" emoji string but it just looked sexual.

Hmm.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Didn't President Obama come out on this issue against the creator of the actual format? I'd take POTUS' word over Captain Nerdman any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Szmitten posted:

I feel like the Bombcast has splintered to such an extent now that the spark isn't there for me and I can't really enjoy it anymore.

Vinny not being there really takes the wind out of the sails. As much as I like Brad, he can barely describe a game even while being asked direct questions, and he never really asks insightful things about the games the other crew are playing. Vinny had a real talent for interviewing that Brad seems to lack.

I know Jeff has said he wants to really shake up the format of the Bombcast, so hopefully it'll get better over time. Right now it just seems like a few boring dudes talking about games. Jeff, Vinny, and Ryan (:() really made up for that format with their personalities.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Since no one mentioned it, I'm using InstaCast for iOS and it works very well. It's apparently very similar to Downcast but I started using Insta first and just never stopped.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

al-azad posted:

What's the deal with Jeff Gerstmann lately? The last couple of Bombcasts have been him shouting over everyone calling the games they're playing bullshit and just generally being as obnoxious as possible.

That's...kind of his thing? It's hilarious considering the only games he plays are apparently games he absolutely hates, but it's sort of his gimmick nowadays.

I could totally never hear anyone talk about WWE or wrestling in general and be happy for the rest of my days. I was into it as a kid, but I can't find anything less interesting nowadays, and the fact that it seems to have crept up into every single bombcast lately is annoying.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Jordan7hm posted:

e: Everything you pointed out about the people making GBS threads on them or seriously harrassing them is true, but by only addressing the crazies you imply that there are only crazies and that other criticism is not legitimate.

Did you really just say "not all crazies" in complete seriousness?! :v:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Woffle posted:

As a quick FYI, and no I don't think this is as important as #gamergate assholes harassing Jenn Frank, but Jeremy (aka EC) from darksoulshaters.tumblr.com will be joining us tomorrow to talk about Dranglaec Castle and is holding a contest you can check out here: http://darksoulshaters.tumblr.com/

Free DLC, y'all.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I played Half-Life when it came out, but never finished it. Last year I decided to fix that, and played through most of the game. Then I got to the end, decided gently caress THIS, and turned on invincibility for the last world.

Having these single player games compressed into six hours of goodness is a thing I don't mind at all. Both of the main HL games are entirely too long.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Captain Internet posted:

New BONFIRESIDE CHAT is up with EC, Jeremy Greer about Dranglec Castle. Waiting for ITunes to push it to their servers because it's on Soundcloud already.

I had a great time doing this. I don't know how Gary and Kole keep up with their podcasting schedule, we recorded for 2.5 hours and I was pretty wiped out at the end, mentally.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Honorable mention goes to Dark Souls for having a very similar thing with its character creator. Basically the only thing the male or female option controls is what sort of underwear you're running around in when you strip off all your armor.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Al! posted:

If you're a fan of Dan being a crazy person re food listen to the Giant Bombcast this week.

I've only got up to him recording and saving his own sleep farts but yeah, it's more Dan-is-a-nightmare-cast this week.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Woffle posted:

I think Patreon is a really great model for it. I worry about the amount of disposable income and how much cross pollination there is in podcasts, however. We're by no means true "early adopters" of the model but as more podcasts move over to Patreon, I wonder if fans are going to have a 5bux for us _and_ a 5bux for Retronauts.

This has been insecurity chat.

As a "consumer" in these kind of things, I've had the same thought. I already support a couple of patreons, and now when I see artists/podcasters/whatever starting one up I have a hard time justifying the buy in. Even if I really, really enjoy their work.

The internet is weird, and supporting people you like is even weirder.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Boy, if you are tired of the same old Destiny conversation that's been happening since the beta, you might as well skip the first hour of this weeks Bombcast.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I remember setting up Quake so it would work over the LAN at my Dad's office. Three of us would play constantly, which was probably not good for his business at the time. Then I discovered mouselook, and all of a sudden they couldn't keep up. Then I found the grappling hook mod, and they stopped playing me completely.

Mods ruined my childhood, is what I'm saying.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

BexGu posted:

EVERYONE on both sides is poo poo. Just watch the poo poo show and don't jump in.

Ok I'll bite, how are people who are anti the GamerGate shitheads "poo poo"?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

BexGu posted:

Leigh Alexander is....not really pleasant person: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=435145064

And Zoe has gone full Brad Wardell and suing the Ex which will make for some great reading once the course docs get released.

If you feel you got a side in this fight take it to the gamegate thread. I'm sure Kewpuh doesn't want to deal with this thread becoming Game's hidden GamerGate hideout.

I'm really sad (but not surprised) that there's threads like this on SA.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

al-azad posted:

Listening to that segment in the Thumbs episode the first thought that came to mind was "We've side-stepped from the magical negro to the magical female." Growing up as a fan of Stephen King taught me that all black characters were wizened god-like figures who exist to guide the white lead through their lovely lives.

Growing up as a fan of Stephen King made me read his books during the early 2000s, where every mentally challenged kid can fix the magic/alien/mystical thing that's Wrong With Everything.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Anyone listen to Quality Control, the new podcast from Justin Mceleroy about video game reviews or something? Kind of curious what it's like.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
It's worth mentioning that the Twin Peaks blue-ray set that came out recently looks and sounds absolutely amazing. In includes Fire Walk With Me (which really should be watched after you finish the series) and a bunch of extras. Season 2 of that show is abysmal, but the last episode Lynch/Frost is back in and it's amazing. The first season is some of the best TV ever in terms of weirdness. That poo poo aired during primetime! Crazy.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

ja2ke posted:

(I didn't notice this the first time I watched the show -- it was in hindsight that I realized all the episodes I liked were the ones Lynch actually directed as opposed to just showrunning.)

On my second or third watch with someone that hadn't seen it before, we would cheer every time we say Mark Frost or David Lynch in the credits. I forgot Lynch did several episodes in the beginning, all my memories are of constantly eye rolling to James Hurley.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

al-azad posted:

No, it'll just turn into xenophobia and hyperbole about unclean foreigners specifically Africans. The comments I heard during the SARS outbreak were truly disgusting and you still get the occasional "black people have AIDS because they hosed monkeys."

I literally heard this exact thing last night. I work in the water business, and DHH issued a statement regarding Ebola and water to address concerns from water utilities and/or their customers. The guy read the statement, and it went from "oh like hiv" to "shouldn't have been loving monkeys" in like 5 seconds. I almost got whiplash.

The south is a great and horrible place to live.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Captain Invictus posted:

Brad Shoemaker's greatest crime in the past two months is never shutting up about Destiny even after agreeing to not talk about Destiny

It's gotten to the point that I'm skipping past it now. It straight up sucks the air out of the room when he drones on and on about it, with Jeff there saying "yeah I don't know it sucks" and the other guys not saying anything.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I feel like he's talking about it because he feels he needs to talk about it because Destiny is the next big thing as Activision and Bungie and every media outlet has been telling us for years.

It's the worst and video games are horrible why do I keep playing these things.

Video games are great, games that are hidef veneers for endless grinding for digital things are horrible. I say that as someone who is spending hours and hours playing Diablo 3 to get slightly better gear. At a certain point it's no better than video poker and I should probably play a nice fun adventure game instead.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

coyo7e posted:

That sounds potentially disgusting.

Re, not after.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

coyo7e posted:

If that was true then no-death runthroughs would be far, far tougher. I can generally get through all the way past the gaping dragon without dying, well over 90% of the time My personal best was also getting through Queelag and stuff as well, although I tend to die a lot in the swamp.

I think he meant that it's dicey to a new player, since there's very little time to process what the gently caress is going on and then its YOU DIED and back to the bonfire. It's a big roadblock to a new player, and a pretty simple boss to anyone with experience at the game.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Sexy Randal posted:

He's on a few episodes of Louis CK's show as well and he's great in it.

I still go back to the scene that bounces between Lynch doing a monologue in an empty room to the version in the control room that adds canned laughter. It's loving brilliant.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I've been skipping the ads on the Bombcast for awhile now, but hearing Small Business Man return made me grin like an idiot.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

kuddles posted:

I can give Dan a pass on not understanding mortgages. Even people who take ones out seem to have a poor grasp on how they work.

There's much more of Dan's ignorance to mock. Like, at least they weren't explaining the concept of water to him again.

The problem with Dan is his unwillingness to believe other people are in different situations than he is. The whole "why would you ever want to buy a house" and "I've always had shared walls who cares" stuff makes it obvious that the dude either doesnt or finds it difficult to see things from other people's perspectives.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Everybody jumped on Dan for not knowing what a mortgage is but no one mentioned that he thinks CiCi's pizza is "good"?!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Timett posted:

Gary, I think you need to either just look things up with your mechanical non silent keyboard or get a silent keyboard that you use when recording. Saying "I would look this up but my keyboard is too loud. Kole could you get that?" like once a week on some podcast or another is as bad or worse than keyboard noise.

Just my most minor of objections.

To be fair I've never actually heard the keyboard maybe it's really frigging loud.

I've always assumed Gary has a normal keyboard that doesn't make any noise, and that he enjoys having Kole do his bidding.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I take back what I said about hoping that BFSC doesn't do Lords of the Fallen. I've since given it another shot and I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Just out of curiosity, where did you drop it and what's pulling you back in?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Ok I'll bite: how exactly is Dan "booksmart"?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
No more Klepek at Giant Bomb:

https://twitter.com/patrickklepek/status/550004565920481280

I liked his writing, but it did seem like him shacking up with CAH and calling it "Giant Bomb Chicago" wasn't going to last too long.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Captain Invictus posted:

Well that's just, like, your opinion, man

Between Brad talking non-stop about DOTA and Destiny (usually dragging Jeff into Destiny chat), Dan, and the lack of Vinny, it's an opinion that's shared. I'm kind of hate-listening to it now, which tells me I should drop it from my podcast manager for awhile.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

SoulChicken posted:

I just got so loving owned.

Hahaha this is so loving great. I'm not making fun of you, but I just love that people are still falling for The Onion and Clickhole articles. Bonus points for you being the first person I've ever seen fall for a Clickhole article....

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

SoulChicken posted:

Backstory - Patrick Rothfuss posted it on his Facebook, I clicked the link, read very little and thought "wait until the SA gaming podcast thread hears about this. I will compare it to Dan not knowing about mortgages! Haha it's going to be awesome"

I didn't see it was clickhole but I clearly I was asking for it!

No worries, I got rick-rolled by a fake Ant-Man trailer the other day, but not before emailing it to several other people.

BadGoonsUnite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Song For The Deaf posted:

Well, I feel like the densest dummy.

On an unrelated note, we're doing t-shirts now. Check out the first design. http://teespring.com/watch-out-for-fireballs-logo

This t-shirt is Cool and I will Buy One.

• Locked thread