Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

I hope Sean talking to himself in the latest Idle Thumbs confuses everyone who can't tell the difference between Sean and Jake's voices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

I hope Gary and Kole have been trying PvP in Dark Souls 2! I have played all the Souls games at launch and I find that PvP is always the most fun and crazy right after the games are released. Everyone is trying to figure out the game and you find people using a variety of different builds, some of the covenants are super crazy this time too! I'm looking forward to hearing them cover the main game, podcasts always make the work day go faster and I can't get enough of Dark Souls 2 talk!

Here's a dumb video I made to encourage irritating people in PvP (mild area spoilers for Harvest Valley):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH6we-mrPtA

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

I appreciate the long Idle Thumbs this week! Always makes the work day go faster. I thought it was funny that Chris described Eddie Murphy's comedy as being "raw" while not remembering that the special he watched was called Raw.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

This picture is pretty good.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Super Metroid and Mario 64 are my favourite game to watch speedruns of. Here is Siglemic playing Mario 64 at Summer Games Done Quick 2013:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUg50_SPXNE

Speedrunning is really fun try out, you don't have to be the best in the world to learn some basic tricks and mess around with your own runs. The community is incredibly helpful and all the information you need is on the internet. For example, here is a guide for speed running Mario 64 with 16 stars: Esi’s 16 star route guide. It details strategies for beginners through to experts, so anyone can pick it up. Using this guide I picked it up quickly and I was able to beat it in under 25 minutes casually playing over a couple of weeks.

If a game with such rapid and precise inputs is intimidating, I also really enjoy casually speedrunning Castlevania 1. It is more about strategy and timing rather than crazy inputs, so it's good if you don't have the fastest hands in the world. Funkdoc is one of the best at running this game, he has played it at a lot of live events and is good at explaining the game as he plays:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAQ2l_5OvjA

Summer Games Done Quick is coming up towards the end of June, I'm looking forward to seeing Super Mario 3D World being played! https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Woffle posted:

This is totally true. You play the game in an entirely new way. I've got my Dark Souls down to about 2 hours and the feelings of tension during a speedrun are totally different than the feelings of tension you get from just, you know, Dark Souls.

Every time I check out Dark Souls 2 speedruns a new crazy glitch has been found, someone just found a glitch that lets you walk on air if you roll and riposte at the same time. The new record is under 30 minutes! The game is a complete mess now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq1xz1-ywFM

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Akuma posted:

What is your location?

Probably somewhere on Earth outside of USA.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Akuma posted:

Yeah I probably should have just said that there are other things like Nature Box that exist in the world outside the USA. Graze has existed for years.

This does not deliver to my sewer rat people village so it's useless to me.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Dual analogue FPS control chat on the latest Idle Thumbs give me an excuse to post this funny review of Alien Resurrection for the original Playstation: http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/alien-resurrection-review/1900-2637344/

Gamespot posted:

The game's control setup is its most terrifying element. The left analog stick moves you forward, back, and strafes right and left, while the right analog stick turns you and can be used to look up and down. Too often, you'll turn to face a foe and find that your weapon is aimed at the floor or ceiling while the alien gleefully hacks away at your midsection. Add to the mix a few other head scratchers - such as how the triangle button controls item and health use - and you'll be wondering how Sony let this get by without requesting a few different control configuration options.

Mega Man Legends 2 also had dual analogue control for the original Playstation. Goldeneye had dual analogue control options if you felt like holding two separate controllers in your hands. Halo definitely made the control scheme work better than these games, but it's interesting how it evolved to that point.

On the topic of Shovel Knight, Gamasutra have an article up where Yacht Club Games talk about how they both stuck to and broke the rules of NES hardware: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidDAngelo/20140625/219383/Breaking_the_NES_for_Shovel_Knight.php. The music was actually programmed using Famitracker which is a music creation tool that emulates the NES sound chip. Shovel Knight uses the expanded sound channels from the custom Konami chip in the Japanese version of Castlevania 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32OLFp9-t7I

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

moller posted:

Timesplitters predates Halo by, like, a year and was an FPS controlled with standard modern twin stick controls. Just sayin.

Oh wow, I completely forgot about Timesplitters. I even mentioned Goldeneye!

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

I think Goldeneye had this too, somewhere in the options.

Yeah, I always used that option in multiplayer which gave me a pretty unfair advantage!

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

I'm sure people are sick of hearing this by now, but A Link Between Worlds has stepped away from the linearity and hand holding of other modern Zelda games. The release of that game and the way Nintendo are talking about the Wii U game makes it seem like they understand complaints people have with the series.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Woffle posted:

I believe it and tried it briefly. I really dislike that game.

You're totally missing out on memorable filler moments like "collect Banjo-Kazooie notes underwater 40 hours into the game."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsaVBCqhKiA&t=18s

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

THE G STANDS FOR GRAPHICS!!! GRAPHICS ISN['T PRNOUNCED JRAPHICS!!! TAKE MY FLYERS

Captain Novolin posted:

The pronunciation of "gif" argument is the Internet equivalent of the argument over how to put toilet paper in the holder

I HAVE PAMPHLETS FOR THIS TOO

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Song For The Deaf posted:

I don't want to build it up, but "Dudes With Attitude" is a top-3 episode of the show for me.

When I was a kid my parents bought me a weird bootleg NES cart with 15 games on it. The cartridge needed an official licensed NES game plugged into the back of it to get around the PAL lock out chip. Thanks to that cart I was able to enjoy high quality games like Chiller, Menace Beach and Dudes With Attitude. I won't spoil it for people who don't know about it, but I'll say I'm really looking forward to hearing the reaction you guys have to Dudes With Attitude.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Listening to Gary's sick person voice on Duckfeed podcasts reminds me of the voice change Ulillillia went through after eating a 30 inch pizza over 4 days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPRheymdlXo&t=320s

Captain Novolin posted:

I go to the website and download each mp3 individually :saddowns:

Me too. ;~]

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

I'm proud to say I solved the Crickler Ordeal.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Song For The Deaf posted:

My feeling is that we're talking about people who can intentionally keep their world very small. Anonymity is part of it, but what can you do with people who can gain social acceptance for doing this kind of thing?

When you don't have to answer to anyone who disagrees with you because an army of faceless dickheads will back you up, it's real real easy to be shameless.

Some of them show their delightful faces:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJjFoe6_gx4

Edit: Oh, how could I forget these cool guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROHvvtUcp8I

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Szmitten posted:

"Playing video games" is as much a hobby as "watching movies" or "reading books" i.e they're pretty prolific and as such there are assholes in all walks of life. The bigger issue is that video games are still a young and immature industry, inside and outside: the audience is mainly kids and teenagers, and those that stick with it into adulthood might remain somewhat immature (there are also plenty of grown-ups who play games a lot and aren't weird about it); devs are also starting kinda young but even as they age they're still often marketing towards a younger audience, even the oldest-and-still-working developers are entering their sixties and they're typically still aren't making games geared exclusively towards people their own age.

Some people just don't believe that video games aren't an insular thing anymore. I'm pretty sure the tide is changing and what we've been seeing the last few years are the final death throes of a few loud sticks in the mud who are still clinging desperately to their rock until they inevitably give up or go with the flow and keep a lid on it.

They also take the enthusiast press way too loving seriously. And they shouldn't. Yeah, Ebert or Kermode said/say a lot of interesting things, but they're still just guys writing their own opinion pieces, they're not the paragon gatekeepers of the entire industry they write about.

Also, this discussion might be better for the gamers.txt thread rather than here.

I just wanna make Mario jump on a goomba.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Gorn Myson posted:

I genuinely can't believe this thing is still going. I was quite happy with accepting that some indie game developer that I'd previously never heard of is an rear end in a top hat, but apparently people actually care about this stuff.

Everyone needs to calm down and watch this. It will defuse the situation and this thread can be about podcasts again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4Egx0p04tU

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

Was there a Campo Santo panel at PAX and where is it viewable?

I remembered seeing it somewhere so I typed "fire watch" with a space in my browser and all the history results were Watch Out For Fireballs. Using my cool smarts I deleted the space and found it: http://www.twitch.tv/pax2/b/563131781?t=23h16m50s

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Dragon Quest V kinda does what Jake has been writing Zelda fanfiction about for the past few episodes of Idle Thumbs. I recommend Dragon Quest V to anyone who has a tolerance or enjoyment of JRPGS, so I'm going to use spoiler tags here:

Dragon Quest V follows the story of the player character from birth, to him being an older man with a family. The "legendary hero" in this game turns out to be the player characters son, but he still looks up to the player character as a father and has his own weaknesses that stop him from being a flawless hero. The last chapter of the game lets you have a party that includes your wife and two children. They work together to defeat the EVIL BAD GUYS as a team, without the fact that the son is the legendary hero being important. It's been a while since I played it, so I might be getting some of the details wrong.

Enjoy this awkward live action commercial for the DS version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjyLhg2EwM0

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

I don't know how deep Gary and Kole want to get into Street Fighter II for Watch Out For Fireballs, but there was a tutorial for Super Turbo included in one of the PS2 ports of the game. If you guys are curious about some of the less obvious mechanics and theories behind fighting games, it's worth checking out. It's split in to beginner, intermediate and advanced videos, even if you just check out the beginner video it might help you understand the game more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0cFs5mHQC4

Beginner Part 2, Intermediate, Advanced.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

I bet Jake is being engulfed in messages, posts and emails letting him know that the latest Smash Bros. game isn't called "Super Smash Bros." after this weeks Idle Thumbs.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

ja2ke posted:

I was mostly goofing around, but they were also using the exact same logo to treatment unadorned for both Wii U and 3ds for almost all of development, to the best of my memory.

If I remember right, Nintendo actually had to come out and say the real name for the game is Super Smash Bros. for 3DS because everyone thought it was a working title. If they named it NEW Super Smash Bros. everything would have gone smoothly.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

Nintendo is very insistent about terminology in my limited experience, so I could see it being them wanted people to refer to the game as Smash Bros. and not just the subtitle (cf. Brawl, Melee). I seem to recall one of the consoles they were very adamant about the naming convention - I want to say it was the Wii (that is to say, not the Nintendo Wii, just the Wii), because I definitely remember they did not want the term Wiimote used in any official capacity (idiots).

You might be thinking of how Nintendo wanted the Gamecube to be abbreviated as GCN rather than GC or NGC. You can't go stepping on the NeoGeo(Pocket) Colors turf.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Watch Out For Fireballs doesn't know poo poo about the best Resident Evil related GameFAQ. Check this out: http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/198456-resident-evil-2/faqs/21095

quote:

RACOON CITY STREETS
Come on, we started it! Dont stay there like deaf-dumb! Get your knife in hand
and dodge these bastards! But be careful! Dont bump in em!3-4 hits and you'll be
watching cool "YOU DIED" movie.Get to the Gun Shop Kendo. There, speak bullshit and
collect 2xh.g.b. Movie plays and zombies get in. Ready and handgun the undeads fast.
Check the man's body twice and filch the Rem.M1100P. Dont waste it now, keep the 4 bullets
in it for later, as you really will need them! Before the zombies wake up, get
the hell out fast! Get straight and right. Behind a fence-2 undeads. Mow them down( each
6-7 shots)!!! A movie plays. Dont worry, this guy wont get you fast! Fast! Get straight to
a car and get h.g.b.!Return and mow him to death. Enter basketball ground. Ther's another one
stupid mother-fucker, trying to get at you! Dodge him and get fast to the door!
Climb up and down stairs. When you get down, check the bin behind you. More h.g.b.
Get on box and equip your knife! Woo! Cut the throat of the fierce lady. Wait a while,
two males come up and the lady one gets up from sleep. Wack'em fast! Almoust with
cut-off heads they lay down. Be careful! They can vomit on your leg, draining
your health! Escape to the street! Walk/run past the cars. YUK!!! 4 undeads eating a
cop. Beware, cause they want flesh raw meat! Dodge the all of them and run to the
hosed bus and get h.g.b. behind you. Aim down, pummel 4 shots in a fierce lady,
that closes to you. If your ammo is a little let her grab your leg and then stomp her
head! A frame up, comes another motherfucker! Mow him to death. Get off bus! Fuckside!
6 zombies comin up, wanting flesh raw meat! Kick asses! Kill the first 2 and the last 2!
Get in door. Now where? Right or straight? Straight, cause on the right are waiting for
dinner two zombies. Climb down and up stairs! Get a g.h. from the bushes. This can cure
you. Use it, if you are dangered and get fast to the really hosed police station!
*Note that if you've picked no items to this point, you will meet a Brad Vicks zombie
*in the stairs tunnel before the RPD. Plunk him with 16-18 handgun shots and check his
*body for the special key, that you can use later to change your clothes.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Keeping the Idle Thumbs fighting game balance chat going...

The different versions of Street Fighter II contain balance changes and new moves for characters, along with the more broad content updates like new playable characters. Sometimes it was in more obvious ways like giving Chun Li a fireball to help her control space or giving Dhalsim a teleport to help him stay away from other characters, but the different versions would also change properties on existing moves and mechanics to balance them within the meta of the game at that time. An example of this is Capcom adding the ability to tech throws by inputting a throw yourself, reducing the damage you take.

The differences between the versions of Street Fighter II have actually split the fanbase of the games to a small extent, as some players prefer the balance and stripped down mechanics of Hyper Fighting compared to the more feature rich and loosely balanced Super Turbo. If you are interested in the meta game changes of a competitive game like Smash Bros. Melee, Super Turbo has seen changing competitive play taking place over 20 years.

Arcade manufacturers were able to patch cabinets by sending out conversion kits to arcade owners. A large amount of older arcade games have multiple versions, even within editions that have the same title. The MAME community has worked on cataloguing all the various versions of arcade releases, it can be surprising to see how many different versions of a game were released. It can be hard to track down version differences for arcade games, but I found some fan made patch notes for the original Mortal Kombat:

code:
Version 0.9:
    Prototype version
Version 1.0:
    First official release of Mortal Kombat
    In a two player game, both players could not choose the same character
    Liu Kang had Uppercut - Flying Kick Combo
Version 2.0:
    Both players could choose the same character
    New Shang Tsung death animation added
    Merchandise promo added
    More blood added
Version 3.0:
    Computer Intelligence increased
    Reptile added
Version 4.0:
    Reptile clues added (shadows on moon)
    Sonya and Kano could fight Reptile
    Block allowed during fatality
    Goro's theme played during all Endurance rounds
Version 4.0: (T-Unit)
    Hardware change (T-Unit)
    "ERMACS" removed from Game Audits
Version 5.0: (T-Unit)
    Bug fix release.
    No points bonus for The Pit fatality.
It's good to know that Midway sat back in their chairs at one point and thought that Mortal Kombat needed more blood.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Everyone loves my overly detailed video game knowledge.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Captain Internet posted:

The art style also translates super poorly into the SNES and everything looks muddy and blurry

The thick lined, crayon art style was specifically chosen to match the way the various scaling/rotation modes and the Super FX chip distort the graphics. In games with fine details and outlines, the distortion completely breaks the look that the pixel art tries to achieve. Yoshi's Island avoids this by making the sprites themselves shakey and rough looking, so the distortion of the sprites matches the look of the game. It's one of the best examples I can think of in which a developer intentionally chooses an art style to make the limitations of a system a strength.

Most people who play the game will recognise this example. Look at how smoothly the warping of the pixel art is integrated into the art style of the game, particularly the ground. If this was drawn in the Super Mario World art style with single pixel outlines, the lines would be broken and it would end up looking uglier and stand out more. You can see this happening on some of the coins in this scene.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

I think a lot of people don't actually know why they dislike Donkey Kong Country. I've never seen anyone call it floaty before, except for the water segments! :smugmrgw:

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Woffle posted:

Especially if this name starts with T and rhymes with Total Biscuit.

Hey, don't forget about Annoyed Gamer.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Spirit Tracks would have been better if Link was in the train outfit the entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Optimus Subprime posted:

I fully expect to see autonomous selfie drones in the next couple years, in which we will all miss the days of the passive selfie stick.

• Locked thread