Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I really enjoyed the Link to the Past WOFF and the interspersed music caused to me head down a "classic video game music" Youtube wormhole.

So this is for Gary and Kole...how are you guys liking Dark Souls II (of which you've no doubt been binging on)? I would've asked in the DS2 thread (and maybe someone has) but the thing moves at light speed and generally all people just asking questions. I'm about 10 hours in and I absolutely love it.

Having recently played Demons Souls (after Dark Souls) I was worried that the whole warping/overworld thing would kill the sense of connected world that Dark Souls accomplished (I didn't like the way Demon's Souls felt arbitrarily video-gamey) but this isn't the case. The worlds that aren't directly connected to one another at least all show clips of traveling which helps to give a sense of world building. I also really love the variety of locale. It all adds up to feel like an epic globe trotting adventure and I really like it. While I'm less than halfway through the game (I'm assuming), I've found my favorite area in any Souls game - (it's a relatively early game location but I'm putting in spoilers just to be safe) No Man's Wharf. Everything about this place rules. The haunted pirate port vibe, the teamwork of the mobs throwing oil on you and trying to light you on fire, the dynamic lighting looks cool and is important due to those weird monsters being afraid of the light, the creepy bell bringing in a ghost ship, and then your final attempt at boarding and commandeering the leaky boat. That area loving rules. I can't wait to see what other places lie in wait for me later.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Good DS2 preview show. I actually had a similar launch experience. I haven't attended a midnight launch for anything since Halo 3 and basically said I'd never do it again. I actually had a good time. The weather was nice and I was shocked at how many were there for Dark Souls vs. Titanfall. A bunch of us traded Souls war stories and soon enough we had our copies and went on our way.

I've also found myself similarly floored at the environment design. I'm probably halfway though the game and the sheer variety/scope of the game has me shaking my head. The game is home to several of my favorite areas in any Souls game of which I won't mention here due to many not playing the game. I've also really enjoyed the rollercoaster ride in difficulty. Everytime you feel your character has become powerful enough to make things easy, a brand new set piece/enemy shows up that crushes your balls in true Souls fashion.

I would also STRONGLY recommend that someone play DaS1 before jumping into 2. You will have so much more of an appreciation for the callbacks and devious redesigns meant to throw you off.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I really enjoyed listening to the WOFF hardware special while doing garage work this weekend. Your Guitar Hero story is sort of similar to mine. I remember the whole release date of the original was weird in that stores were apparently just putting it on the shelves when they got it. As a long time guitarist myself (been playing in bands for around 15 years) I knew I had to have it when it came out. I actually scored my copy of GH1 a couple days before "official release" at a Best Buy as an employee had set them out not really knowing what it was. When I opened the box at a friends house and saw the babby SG controller we all figured that this game was either going to be the best game or the worst; there just didn't look to be an in between. Of course it turned out being the best. There was hardly a party for the next year where Guitar Hero wasn't available somewhere. The soundtrack of #1 was fantastic. After a couple years I lost interest in plastic instrument games but Guitar Hero #1 will always hold a special place in my heart. I actually got decent at taking apart the controllers and painting them and had quite a few. My favorite though was one a buddy did for me. I said I wanted an over the top "metal as gently caress" paint scheme and he airbrushed me this -

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Even Rats was probably my favorite Guitar Hero track. Well, ok maybe not favorite of them all but definitely my fav bonus/indie song.

Hey, you guys should totally do a GH/RB episode. I know you joked about it in the Hardware episode but for sure it needs to happen.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

In regards to the marketing talk, as a 30 year old who works in marketing (I'm a web guy but work directly with marketing) they are all loving dinosaurs who live in a bubble. I've worked full time for 3 different companies and each time it's been the same. It's why I love the "Poochie" simpsons episode so much because their is so much accuracy.

Hey, speaking of marketing anyone in here been reading "Console Wars"? I'm about halfway through and it's a fantastic read for a myriad of reasons.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I bought a 3DS and picked up Link Between Worlds last year. First zelda game I've been able to get into since Ocarina of Time back in the day. It's very well done and finally made it seem like Nintendo was aware the old formula needed changing. I'm hoping Zelda Wii U expands on that even more.

I've also long felt that the Souls games are basically what I've wanted out of a modern Zelda game as far as combat and exploration are concerned. I really hope the Wii U one has more adult themes. It seems that if you say "mature Zelda" many longtime players think it means you are hoping for crazy amounts of gore and sex. It's such bullshit and a cop out.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah, that's fair. I guess I really don't know what I want to see out of a modern Zelda game at this point. It's definitely not grimdark, but then again it's not babby's first adventure either. The quick look at Zelda Wii U got me excited though, so maybe they are on to whatever "it" is.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

That tie dyed Sif shirt looks like a wild 70's experimental album cover. It's great.

So where does the new DLC fit into Bonfireside Chat? Being that it's behind the Rotten (and you've already beaten him in the show's play order) you could in theory do it anytime now, right? :)

I'm guessing you guys will do all the DLC at the end of this season (in order or release) but man, Crown of the Sunken King is the best content in the game (I'll argue this) and I selfishly want to hear your take on it sooner rather than later. If this is what the next two packs are going to be like I think everyone is in for a treat.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

bobservo posted:

If you have complaints please contact our customer service line at 1-800-EAT-poo poo

I literally lol'ed hardcore at this.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

The DLC episodes of Bonfireside Chat are two of my favorites thus far (almost done with Iron King now) which makes sense since those are the best areas of the main game!

Have you guys made an announcement yet on what you will do to bridge the gap between Souls 2 and Bloodborne? (as I mentioned I haven't finished the Iron King ep yet in case you say it at the end).

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Osmosisch posted:

Fingers crossed for Lords of the Fallen.

I was hoping to coax this answer out of Gary/Kole as well. Then I rented the game the other night and just can't seem to get into it :/. It was to be my methadone while waiting for a proper next gen Souls fix but it just isn't clicking. It feels mechanically fine but it has no soul. Pun not intended.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I take back what I said about hoping that BFSC doesn't do Lords of the Fallen. I've since given it another shot and I'm having a lot of fun with it.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

EC posted:

Just out of curiosity, where did you drop it and what's pulling you back in?

I can't really explain what pulled me back in. I think I just didn't give it a fair shot. It plays very similar to the Souls game (I'd argue the stats system is better than what went in DaS2) but had a few differences that annoyed me right out of the gate. I tried it a few days later after putting it down and I just "got it" I guess and its been enjoyable. Its not a Souls game but the combat is fun and the graphics are very pretty. Makes me super pumped for Bloodborne and the Souls 2 PS4 release. I'm stuck at the stupid graveyard boss though. It's frustrating that I'm stuck early in the game at a boss considering I've beaten all the souls games multiple times. It feels like this games version of the Pursuer.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah, I know the gimmick with the shrines exploding and stunning him but even when I use that unlimited stamina magic buff I still do jack poo poo for damage. I've got two characters stuck at him and the most I've ever gotten him down was around 50 percent. I'm gonna break down and just watch some YouTube vids. lovely fight.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Whenever Rock Band / Guitar Hero is discussed around these parts I always feel the need to show off my old GH controller. I took apart and painted several GH controllers, but this one a good friend painted for me as it was way above my skill level with an airbrush. I wanted a heavy metal theme and I think he came through with flying colors. Ah yes, the release of the original GH was a glorious time. While I had been a guitarist for several years previous, GH helped rekindle my love of the instrument and contributed to me finally getting good enough at it to play in a band. I've been playing out in various groups ever since and have been fortunate to have made many friends and had some amazing times at gigs. Thanks, Guitar Hero :911:

Rock Band was also killer when it released. It was crazy that some bars were doing rock band nights instead of karaoke. As I was finishing college in '09 I worked for a Best Buy. This was right around the time the plastic instrument market was about to collapse. I couldn't believe all the inventory committed to those music games. It was really obvious the gimmick had quickly worn out its welcome. What a glorious time it was though when it was fresh!

EDIT - I also have to say I loved the variety of music that those games got me into. I never appreciated Pantera before having to learn how to shred Cowboys From Hell. Heck, I had never even heard of the Outlaws before. Green Grass and High Tides was a badass song and now I love that kind of old school southern rock. YYZ helped me get into the wacky world of Rush. My band always plays Can't You Hear Me Knockin' and I had never even heard it before GH2. I have a lot of those type of stories. Harmonix / Red Octane did such a great job with those soundtracks.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 8, 2015

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Hey Bob, I've enjoyed reading (and listening) to your pieces on Majora's Mask. I'm now pumped to actually play it. I was one of those people back in 2000 that was turned off by it's weirdness, yet in 2015 I'm one of those people that enjoys Zelda but is so sick of the standard formula that it sounds like just what the doctor ordered. One problem, I don't have a 3ds nor the funds to pick one up anytime soon (just got a Wii U and PS4 recently). My wife actually has an N64 in storage with Majora. My question is this - do I just wait until eventually picking up a 3ds sometime next year to play it OR do I head to our storage unit and find the 64 version. The answer to this seems like it would be simple (duh, go play the version I have access to) except that in all those videos the visuals look they have improved so much that I'm wondering if I should just wait to experience it "the best way" first. Some of those comparisons of the original to the remake look startling. The poor N64 version looks hideously ugly. What would you (or anyone else that wants to chime in) do?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

bobservo posted:

I dunno, I still think Majora's Mask is pretty playable on the N64, even if it's kind of fugly. If you have a Wii or Wii U, you can always get the Virtual Console version, which looks a bit better—it's also on a GameCube Zelda compilation disc, but that version is known to lock up, and I'm not exactly sure how expensive it is. Honestly, though, if you're going to be picking up a 3DS anyway, it might be best to wait, since it'll be a much better experience (and you've waited this long anyway). Anyhow, I'm glad I was able to convince you!

Thanks for the input. I'll probably just hold off since like you said...it's already been about 15 years. I actually had a 2DS up until a couple months ago when I sold it to put the cash towards a Wii U. I just wasn't a fan of the smaller screen and cramped button layout. I'm looking forward to eventually getting one probably next fall. That'll be something to look forward to I guess. Anyways, thanks.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I tried so hard to play through Lords of the Fallen for bonfireside chat, I really did. I'm at the part where you go through the portal and there is a blacksmith waiting for you. I just can't stand this game. It's like getting into Iron Maiden (Dark Souls) and then while jonesing for a fix you go see a lovely Maiden tribute band...or something. It's not so bad as it is dull as gently caress.

I traded it in for the Majora's Mask remake which was a fantastic decision.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Awhile ago in this thread there was discussion about "People say they want a mature Zelda, but what does that even mean really?" Well, I found the answer for me. It's Majora's Mask.

All the hype about the remake (and your good pieces championing it, Bob) made me splurge on a New 3DS with MM and it's pretty loving amazing. I've just beaten the second dungeon and so far this will probably go down as my favorite in the series. It is the first Zelda game I've played where the world truly feels alive and in major crisis. It's also shocking to me how dark the game is in certain sections and some stuff is very horror-like. Frantically trying to beat a dungeon before the world ends adds such a great element to things. It's not just the timer, it's the way everyone continually freaks the gently caress out as the time draws closer and the environment changes (earthquakes, sky turns red as the moon gets gigantic, etc). It's just an awesome backdrop to a great story.

I'm also a huge fan of the other stuff that seems to have been a byproduct of a limited development time (as that awesome Iwata interview talked about). Hardly any tutorial at all. The overworld seems to be brimming with interesting stuff to do since they didn't have time to build a bunch of dungeons, and the dungeons that are present are much shorter (by necessity of the 3 day cycle) and I feel they are more fun because of it. They feel much leaner without so much superfluous backtracking.

I don't know how I overlooked MM before, but I'm glad that I did. Experiencing this tuned up and fantastic looking game in 2015 really is the best thing. As the Retronauts crew mentioned in their Majora's mini-episode, this is the "dark & mature Zelda" that people have been yammering on about for years, its just that most people missed out on it at release. I totally agree with this line of thinking (at least thus far in my playthrough).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

It's me. I'm the guy that played Tiny Toons Cartoon Workshop and thought I was making masterpieces :cry:.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 4, 2015

• Locked thread