Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Ping-Pong anime is gonna rule and will definitely be the best anime of the season, because Yuasa owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

madmac posted:

I ended up liking Winter a lot despite thinking it looked bleh initially, so I'm feeling unusually optimistic at the moment if anything. Nothing jumps out at me except Jojo though. I'm sure the sheer number of shows means a couple of them will be decent, I just can't get excited right now.

Honestly, I think most of the initial pessimism is just (lack of) name recoginition at work. If it's not a sequel or an adaption of something you've personally read or done by a famous studio/director there isn't much to go off except a bit of artwork and those little blurbs that always suck and tell you nothing. It's a wonder I manage to get hyped in advance for anything, really.

(I know there's preview vids too. I don't watch random trailors unless I'm already interested.)

Heck even going off studios can be a bad thing because pretty much every studio except Shaft is big enough that they have several teams.

Being burned by going off studios too many times is the main reason I really started paying attention to the names of directors and writers. I definitely recommend it; I personally enjoy new seasons a lot more that way.

I'm also sure that there will be the usual surprise hit of the season. There's always at least one of those crappy premises that wind up being executed well.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fujiko Mine ruled and Aquarion EVOL was deece. She has written bad stuff too of course but I enjoy the original stuff she has worked on more often than not. I can't really begrudge a writer for doing stuff like writing scripts for an adaption of an incest light novel because hey, writers gotta eat too.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mr. Stay-Puft posted:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-03-20/redline-koike-to-direct-lupin-the-iiird/daisuke-jigen-gravestone-film

Takeshi "Redline" Koike is directing a feature-film follow-up to Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, called "Lupin III: Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone," which will open in "early summer" and "depict how Lupin and Jigen became partners."

TWCFM was one of my favorite shows of the last decade, and Koike is basically infallible as far as I'm concerned, so.

Sick. I was sad to see that after the show they continued the trend of the really mediocre Lupin specials which, while not a bad watch by any means, are rarely memorable. Glad to see we're getting something worthwhile again.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sadly, Free is airing in Summer, so not this season. But heck, that's a good time of the year for it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-03-26/macross-science-fiction-anime-franchise-gets-new-tv-series

Another Macross tv series is happening in the future. I'm down with that.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I always thought it was just one tv series and one OVA each decade! (With movies scattered for flavor as needed)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I get the feeling that whole "transported to another galaxy" thing is a kind way for the writers to say "their story is done, it's time to move on".

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

They've said that they look at the viewer numbers for streams to decide if they'll do a physical release so uh, while it'd be great to see Ping-pong succeed where Tatami Galaxy hasn't, I'm not going to be optimistic.

I'm glad that someone picked it up tho.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

No. Remove the horrible incest poo poo and what you are left with is yet another magical high school anime with a bland-beyond-belief protagonist who manages to be simultaneously the plucky, underrated underdog and the hyper-competent prodigy, and a supporting cast constructed with a checklist and a careful eye to removing anything of interest or substance. Oh, yes, and if I'm remembering correctly, a whole load of natwank. And then it, by some magic I do not fully understand, takes this poo poo sandwich of a premise and makes it even more obnoxious. There is not a single element of this whole thing which is not a thin streak of diarrhoea. :argh:

Phew. Okay, rant over.

I don't know what it is about Mahouka that makes me really loving mad about anime, but I am real loving mad about anime. :smith:

I couldn't even finish that first episode. It's terribly infodumpy in the dullest way possible (heck the direction itself is really dull, which just compounds its problems). I wound up skipping ahead only to learn that one of the protagonist's powers lets him analyze magic so uh, that means he just infodumps more and more.

It seems to me like it just indulges in practically all of the terrible light novel vices. I recall hearing that people compare it to SAO, and that seems legit considering how much of a wish fulfillment character the protagonist seems to be.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

This is a public service announcement: Unless you hate good things and enjoy eating garbage you should watch Ping Pong, tia.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sidonia has similar CG to Arpeggio, which I really disliked. But dang, it is nowhere near RWBY's level of awfulness by any possible metric.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

kater posted:

If you generally like comedies and haven't done so, check out some of the SPORTS!! animes. They are basically just... well for the most part they are comedies, but with sports. I don't know. I typically prefer slow, slice of life type stuff, but everything in that OP is pretty great.

Sports animes own and more people should check them out, there are a lot of promising ones airing right now. Even if you don't like sports you should still check some out!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Hella escapist fantasies can be p popular. See also: Sword Art Online.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

Shinbo being Shinbo, yup.

Also, stop making a show based on a series of Vocaloid songs sound like something I should check out, guys, you're freaking me out here. :psyduck:

Hey, the nice thing about that sort of thing is that without a definitive source material, it gives a decent amount of freedom! Always good to let Shinbo run wild and that seems to be what he's doing here.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The first season of Jojo does have some iffy animation, but luckily everything else about the presentation more than makes up for it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

dipple posted:

Didn't that situation end up being bullshit dreamed up by a Sankaku Complex writer from a single 2ch post.

To be charitable it was maybe like 3 or 4 different posts? But that's still quite bullshit and you can paint any group in the world as incredibly lovely when you resort to anonymous comments on the internet.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

arhra posted:

Well, warmed-over rehashes have made them plenty of money from the games side, so they probably figured why not try it with the anime?

:suicide:

On the other hand let's consider what happened when they decided to make an original Persona anime! A remake sounds half-assed but having a new studio behind the wheel might make it a little interesting, which is way more than I could say about Trinity Soul.

Srice fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 2, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

HorseRenoir posted:

The weirdest thing to me about this is that the article implies these edits were made by the Japanese themselves to appeal to American audiences. Do they realize that American licensors haven't been localizing shows like this for years?

For what it's worth, a lot of the One Piece changes under 4kids were stuff that Toei wanted (Not that 4kids was completely blameless of course, but Toei did push for a lot of those things). Thanks to Japanese business logic, they assumed that because heavily edited anime performed well in the past it means that it's always a good idea. And I guess some folks over there still assume that considering that edit list, goddamn.

Not gonna lie, it is a bummer to hear about those changes because nobody else wants to touch Doraemon for obvious reasons. It might be mainstream over there but amongst anime fandom in the west I think it'd have a very niche audience at best since it's completely episodic.

Srice fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 12, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Zorak posted:

I am pretty sure their planned audience for Doraemon isn't anime fans, just you know... children.

Derp, knew I forgot something there. Yeah, airing it for children is pretty much the only feasible way for it to make money in the west.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Wark Say posted:

“You loony limey!“ was a keeper. :allears:

In non-Sub/Dub related questions: Is Kyoani gonna do a summer show?

Season 2 of Free!

While it certainly will be a big step down from Ping Pong (but that's such a high bar that I can't hold it against anyone), I'm glad that at the very least I'm getting a steady stream of enjoyable sports anime each season. Hopefully season two will remember what made the original fun.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

I did only watch a single episode of swimming anime before deciding it wasn't my kind of thing, but I never got the impression it was a sports anime. It felt like another show about a club doing things and those things happened to be about swimming.

It totally is, it just wasn't the shounen-y kind of sports show where they spend several episodes on something that would only take minutes in real life, and people will not talk about anything other than the activity in question.

(The main character, of course, was the exception regarding the latter :v:)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

The new Harlock movie is going to be streaming on US Netflix starting August 1.

Between Attack on Titan, Kill la Kill, and now this, it's neat that they've been streaming shows before they get dubs.

I just wish the Harlock movie was better, but oh well, it's not *terrible*.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

A new Tenchi Muyo series is happening in the form of 5 minute shorts, presumably because every 4-5 years they have to remind everyone that yes, Tenchi exists.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

XboxPants posted:

Should that be something by Rumiko Takahashi? Or do none of them count? I haven't really seen/read much of her early series.

I guess it'd all depend on how you define harem, though I want to say Tenchi at the very least started what people think of when they hear "harem anime" today.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Redcrimson posted:

Well, it's the most watched anime of the season on MAL. For perspective, it has as many watchers as Mahouka and Jojo's combined. The discussion threads on reddit have almost 4-times as many comments and upvotes as Mahouka. I don't know what your metric for "regular" anime watcher is, but from my experience it's pretty much the epitome of what casual anime fans will eat up.

If Mahouka has taught me anything it's that a lot of people that like incest also think that objectivism is cool, and good.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Is a man not entitled to the kiss of his sister? "No," says the man in Tokyo, "incest is wrong!" "No," says the man in ADTRW, "get that poo poo outta here!" "Sure," says the otaku, "I have more money than sense!"

Imouto Shrugged

e: Mahouka/Irregular at Magic Highschool is *insanely* bad, but the thread for it is a funny read so I recommend that anyone who hasn't looked at that thread to take a peek.

Srice fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 30, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

mr. stefan posted:

Burly men using ghosts to punch each other is not as hot to this generation as it was to the previous.

Considering the blu-ray sales for the first season of Jojo I think it's less that and more "A lot of people like Jojo but wouldn't list it as their absolute favorite".

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

2nd season of Buddy Complex has been confirmed for the Fall season, meaning that there's a half year gap between a show that really should not have been a split season in the first place because dang barely anything happened in the first season until the last episode.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

wielder posted:

There's been some speculation suggesting it's not necessarily a full second season but a special broadcast or something to that effect in order to wrap things up, but at this point I wouldn't really be able to tell if that's actually the case.

I can easily see that happening because it sure didn't set the world on fire or anything. The sales have been rather poor and as far as I can tell they're not really having a lot of luck with merch either. I can't say I'd blame Sunrise if they went that route.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think a good way to describe that season is: what if Mobile Suit Gundam aired today and the end of season 1 was White Base landing on Earth.

The characters were standard as heck and you could probably watch the first 2 and last 2 episodes and not be lost in any meaningful way (I guess they had the Gundam SEED island episode in the middle of that, but heck they mostly faffed about with that).

At least the action was fairly slick. Orange's CG work is miles ahead of pretty much everyone else.

Srice fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Monkey Man posted:

Pretty much every anime I've seen that was based on an LN has pacing problems.

And the ones that don't tend to not be a 100% accurate scene for scene adaption of the source material. There's a reason why pacing in novels is different than pacing in a tv show!

The example I love to bring up is Gundam Unicorn. Its first episode covered *two* books. That just goes to show how much fluff they cut out! (Granted it was a 50 minute episode but even then that means 1 book for a normal length episode)

KoB posted:

Anyone not watching Mushishi is a big dumb baby.

This and also Ping Pong.

• Locked thread