Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

I take my dog to an off-leash area in a state park and as the weather improves, I've noted an increasing thing, which is people walking their children in the park, with no dogs evident.

Today my dog and I encountered a couple with two toddlers walking along. There were no other dogs within shouting distance and there were no strollers.

My dog is a herding dog and, owing to his experiences with some children I know, he tends to get very bouncy and playful around children. He likes them. He would never bite them. However, if they run, he will chase them. He loves it; that's his game. And he can get very growly and barky when playing and might scare them.

So my dog is running around, chasing the ball when I throw it, investigating other dogs when we meet them, or pass them, or are passed by them. At the point where we met the couple with the small children there were no other dogs but, knowing how he tends to behave around children, I called him in and had him heel while we passed them.

It really kind of annoyed me because I take him there as an off-leash park is the ONLY place where he can get into a full-out dead run, and on the whole making him heel for a stretch of approximately a tenth of a mile isn't too bad, but it bugged me. But the guy said something to the effect of, "thanks for controlling your dog."

But then, as we were going out, the couple with the two children were also coming up, and there was a dog fight. It was the kind of thing that, among certain kinds of dog owners, could be considered just very rough play and the kind of thing that the dogs would work out among themselves. But the people with children got rather defensive and there were some words exchanged. To the effect that vicious dogs were not supposed to be allowed in the dog park, which is a good thing.

Now this didn't directly affect my dog. But I have to wonder, why on earth would you come to the OFF-LEASH area of a park if you didn't have a dog? I have seen people jogging there, too, both with and without dogs. With makes sense. Without doesn't.

There is also a stretch of it that intersects with another trail. To get into the dog park you have to go through a gate, where it clearly identifies it as a DOG OFF-LEASH AREA, and then it goes along and there is another gate that says you are leaving the DOG OFF-LEASH AREA and outside that gate your dog must be on a leash no more than six feet long.

So, if you are just jogging around or out for a walk with your very small children, why would you even go into the clearly marked area?

After the altercation (which I was in no way involved, nor was my dog) I was sitting in my car and I noted among the rules of the park were that no children under 12 were even supposed to be there, and children 12 and over were supposed to be accompanied by adults. Oh, and no bitches in heat, and yes, no vicious dogs.

You also have to pay an extra fee to be in the DOLA, but I guess that only applies if you bring in a dog (for the fee, you can bring in 3 dogs). However, it doesn't say you MUST have a dog.

I think it's stupid to let little kids in there. I was once knocked over by a very friendly but large dog and I'm not a little kid.

So I guess what I'm looking for is a polite way to say, "If you don't have a dog, you shouldn't be here. If you have little kids, you REALLY should go walk on one of the hundreds of other trails in this park. If my dog scares your kid, tough poo poo." I suppose there is really no polite way to say that.

On edit: On the other hand, I guess it's good that I actually called my dog to heel and he did it. Always be training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Just about every off leash park I've been to doubled as public space. Obviously the rules seem a bit different where you are, but I've just had to suck it up and learn to cope. As your dog gets better impulse control it'll be easier to manage around distractions like kids. To me, off leash areas are gifts and not something which dog owners are entitled to.

As for the rules, I guess you could call the organization or city or whomever maintains the park and ask them for clarification and perhaps a suggestion for how to address rule-breakers. If you don't have a city bylaw (or something similar) to back you up, I'd just grin and bear it.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

I can understand getting annoyed if people bring in small children and complain that their kids get scared.

Getting upset that someone is just jogging through the park without a dog is a bit weird though. How are they causing you a problem? It doubles as a public area and maybe they just enjoy watching dogs run around while they exercise.

Really I think you should chill out and just ignore what other people are doing. Yeah if your dog starts chasing someones kid then you have to control him, but you shouldn't pre-emptively have to stop him doing anything just because there are children in the vicinity (assuming he can actually behave himself around kids). If he happens to run over to them and they get angry just point out where they are.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

At my dog park, I've seen people have big lunches there. Without any dogs. Like a group of 4 or 5 people will have a blanket out, like they are having a picnic. At the off leash dog park. That always astounds me because I've seen people get upset when dogs come up and try to get some grub. You're getting swarmed because you have piles of food at the off leash dog park.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
The closest park to my place has an offleash area, and is a large patch of grass with no fence directly next to a kid play structure. Its pretty well known that off leash areas in public parks, are still accessible to all. Sure its annoying to have to control your dog, but its that or a lawsuit.

If you are concerned of potential problems, maybe find another park with an off leash area thats fenced in or a park thats 100% dedicated to dogs. Where I live I can either walk my pugs 5 blocks to the park with the above off lease area, or i can drive about 20mins to a dedicated park for dogs with separate areas for timid dogs.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Musket posted:

The closest park to my place has an offleash area, and is a large patch of grass with no fence directly next to a kid play structure. Its pretty well known that off leash areas in public parks, are still accessible to all. Sure its annoying to have to control your dog, but its that or a lawsuit.

If you are concerned of potential problems, maybe find another park with an off leash area thats fenced in or a park thats 100% dedicated to dogs. Where I live I can either walk my pugs 5 blocks to the park with the above off lease area, or i can drive about 20mins to a dedicated park for dogs with separate areas for timid dogs.

Our closest off leash dog park is a large fenced area for ~dogs only~ that is literally in the middle of a large park. There are plenty of times where there are kids in the off-leash area playing with dogs, some are with their own dogs and just socializing, and others are with families in the rest of the park and just in there because ~puppies~.

That park is an hour away from us though. We go to a regular people-park more often that doesn't have an off-leash area (isolated or otherwise). We went this weekend and it was empty, so I let the dogs run around on their 20' leads and played fetch with them (posted a video on PIFB too woooo) but when there are people in the park (even far off, out of the dogs' sight) it's back on the leash and normal manners time.

Also, upstate NY has jaded me. I thought it was nice enough to go to the park and walk for ~2 hours twice this weekend. I don't think the temp broke 20 degrees. Spring break my rear end.

Krile
Dec 26, 2003

Sadly, I am the exact person you are complaining about. I am a vollie at the local shelter and often a foster mom, I am also a regular runner. When I have a foster pet I run with them and take them to the dog park, but when I don't have a foster dog I still go out running through the local dog park. I don't bother the dogs when I am running but I do quietly hope that they come over to get a pat. If they come to me I will stop to give them a cuddle otherwise I just run on past. I love dogs and it makes me happy to see them play while I am out for a jog. I never would have thought that people in the dog park would be upset having runners come through. I suppose I will take that into consideration on future runs if there are people I don't know hanging out at the park.

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013
Of the situations mentioned, I'd be upset over the picnickers because that's creating a dangerous situation (even otherwise well-behaved dogs might get weird over food) but anything else seems kind of ridiculous. While I don't think the parents are that bright for taking tiny children into a dog park, I also think if your dog would be dangerous to kids passing through (either because you couldn't call him back or because he'd be aggressive, whatever), then he's probably not trained/socialized enough to be safe at a dog park in the first place. And I definitely don't get the judgment on the joggers. Maybe they like the trail, maybe they like watching the dogs. Since you don't have a problem with joggers who bring dogs, it's kind of crazy to have a problem with ones who don't.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
The picnickers creep me out cause Jesus H the dogs poo poo there, a dog park is like one big dog toilet man.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Am I the only one who thinks it sounds like a bad idea to go running in a dog park? You have dogs who are keyed up, playing sometimes pretty rough with one another. Sounds like a recipe for getting nipped or worse.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
The rough playing dogs tend to be pretty tied up with the dogs with which they're playing so that doesn't phase me too much. Our park is fuckin' loaded with divots though and I've drat near sprained an ankle just walking. Trying to jog the perimeter would be a death sentence.

And again, dog poop.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Eegah posted:

The picnickers creep me out cause Jesus H the dogs poo poo there, a dog park is like one big dog toilet man.

If it was unofficial, I could understand. But there is a nice big old plaque that says Bark Park, signs with the rules of the park, and doggy bag stations. And people just get huffy about the dogs coming up to them. I can't imagine too many pups being able to avoid the smell of all that food.

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

This area is fenced in. With the usual dog park entrances--two gates to go through, etc. Its in a state park you have to pay to enter, and there's an extra fee for the Dog Off-Leash Area. This dog area is a very minuscule part of a rather large park with lots of trails, so there are other places to walk with your very small children. Places where dogs can be but they have to be on a leash.

The joggers don't really bother me so much. We run into joggers a lot on our regular walks and my dog would really like to chase them (or he would like for me to go faster). I have seen other dogs there who also get into this "chase the fastest thing" mentality.

And as I said, part of the area joins a trail that goes along a creek, which trail starts before the dog park entrance and continues past the dog park exit (whichever way you're going; neither one of these are the main entrance, which has its own parking lot.

As a dog owner I DO think I'm more entitled, though, because first I paid for a park pass, and second I paid for a yearly dog pass.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Rhymes With Clue posted:

The joggers don't really bother me so much.

Well congratulations on successfully putting this person off jogging through the park:

Krile posted:

I am a vollie at the local shelter and often a foster mom, I am also a regular runner.
I love dogs and it makes me happy to see them play while I am out for a jog.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Rhymes With Clue posted:

This area is fenced in. With the usual dog park entrances--two gates to go through, etc. Its in a state park you have to pay to enter, and there's an extra fee for the Dog Off-Leash Area. This dog area is a very minuscule part of a rather large park with lots of trails, so there are other places to walk with your very small children. Places where dogs can be but they have to be on a leash.

The joggers don't really bother me so much. We run into joggers a lot on our regular walks and my dog would really like to chase them (or he would like for me to go faster). I have seen other dogs there who also get into this "chase the fastest thing" mentality.

And as I said, part of the area joins a trail that goes along a creek, which trail starts before the dog park entrance and continues past the dog park exit (whichever way you're going; neither one of these are the main entrance, which has its own parking lot.

As a dog owner I DO think I'm more entitled, though, because first I paid for a park pass, and second I paid for a yearly dog pass.
So rather than stay on a trail that goes past the dog area, joggers stop, open two gates, run through the relatively small dog area, stop, open another two gates, and continue jogging? If I am picturing this correctly, I think you're right to be put off by it. That seems remarkably strange to me.

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR
It's a legitimate concern that a running person can trigger the chase drive in a very nice dog who doesn't want to bite the person, just chase. It's also possible that the dog might accidentally over run the person and knock them over or startle them so they twist an ankle or something. If it's well marked, fenced in area, and it's not the only way from point A to B without a serious diversion, then I would hope that joggers would not choose to go in. If it's not fenced in, then the owner needs to be in control enough of the dog in case of squirrels etc. so adding a jogger into the mix isn't a big deal, and it's more likely that the path is an important travel route as well. I see no problem if someone wants to go for a walk or sit and watch doggies, but small children running around have no place near an area for dog recreation. Just walking through holding hands with their parents, I dunno it's a gray area. You don't know how well behaved the children so you have to take precautions. Yet I could see children would really enjoy walking to watch the doggies who are well behaved enough to do so safely.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

At the local dog park there was a lady who brought her small child into the park and ignored him while she chatted with her friends. The kid would scream at the dogs when they tried to get to the water dishes and hit Dexter with a stick when he was trying to get water.

Pretty sure she finally got sick of people yelling at her child and left for good.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

pandaid posted:

It's a legitimate concern that a running person can trigger the chase drive in a very nice dog who doesn't want to bite the person, just chase. It's also possible that the dog might accidentally over run the person and knock them over or startle them so they twist an ankle or something. If it's well marked, fenced in area, and it's not the only way from point A to B without a serious diversion, then I would hope that joggers would not choose to go in.

So, no running in the dog park?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Just don't forget that the dogs need to be informed of their responsibilities just as humans do.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

jabby posted:

Tbqh, I wouldn't. I'm surprised if you've never had a dog run up to you and get underfoot, let alone been chased by a dog that gets too excited about GET THE GO FAST THING.

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR

jabby posted:

It all depends on the dog park. Here in boston, there's places designated as places that dogs can be let off leash but they are still very public and very active areas. If you had a dog with a high chase instinct, those dog parks would not work for you anyways. If it's a place that's been developed and segregated especially for use by dogs and their people, then non dog owners should be respectful of that area.

catamar
May 23, 2008
I think some kids can handle it. I used to go to a really tiny off-leash area across from some apartment buildings and one of the kids there really wanted a dog but couldn't have one, so she would come hang out on the bleachers and pat the dogs sometimes. She always had a lot of questions about dog care and said she wanted to be a dog walker when she grew up. :3: I think she was around 10 or 11. It was always nice having her there, she liked trying to teach Gansett how to fetch.

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Slugworth posted:

So rather than stay on a trail that goes past the dog area, joggers stop, open two gates, run through the relatively small dog area, stop, open another two gates, and continue jogging? If I am picturing this correctly, I think you're right to be put off by it. That seems remarkably strange to me.

Yes, that's pretty much it. Each entrance has a gate, a little corral in which you can unleash your dog, then another gate. They've been there about a year, and before that there was just a sign. When there was just a sign saying, basically, "Here is where you must put your dog on a leash," it seemed a little more reasonable that you would see through traffic including joggers, bicyclists and equestrians.

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Eegah posted:

Just don't forget that the dogs need to be informed of their responsibilities just as humans do.

Aw. Now there is a sign my dog could get behind.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

pandaid posted:

It all depends on the dog park. Here in boston, there's places designated as places that dogs can be let off leash but they are still very public and very active areas. If you had a dog with a high chase instinct, those dog parks would not work for you anyways. If it's a place that's been developed and segregated especially for use by dogs and their people, then non dog owners should be respectful of that area.

What if a dog owner wants to run at some point while in the park?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Really, if there's anything I've learned in the couple years of daily dog parkin it's that:

1) Dog parks are cliquy as gently caress,
2) Rules and "shoulds" at every dog park vary greatly from one dog park to the other, because
3) See Rule 1.

Rule 1 isn't necessarily a bad thing. Our park generally sees a contingent of some rotation of the same 30 dogs or so every evening with maybe two or three 'new' dogs that mostly just stand around looking like they don't know what to do and rarely come back. The morning crew is the same way and even I rarely bring Tater in the mornings because he doesn't play with those dogs nearly as much -- he just doesn't fit in, doesn't know which dogs are up for what interaction and we all know what those kind of parties are like. It's the same thing with a new park, or one we may only visit occasionally.

With the cliquiness comes the unspoken rules, because all the regulars know the general temperament of every other dog there. Thus our evening crew may be more tolerant of some activities (dog-on-dog tug comes to mind) that would be frowned upon at other parks because of fights breaking out. Big dogs in the small dog park? Maaaybe depending on which dogs are there but they're there at the pleasure of the small dogs and if they react then sorry, back to the big side you go. And you better believe we make sure you have poop bags at the ready before you sit down, because everyone knows Tater's Dark Little Secret and no one wants to see him eating your dog's poo poo because you have to go back to the entrance to get a bag.

The point of all this is, something like someone coming in and jogging really depends on what the owners know about their dogs. If it's a park where the dogs are wont to chase them or whatever then yeah, prolly want to crack down on it. The dog park two miles over may have a completely different opinion, or even the regulars at the same park at a different time.

tldr: E'ry dog park is different y'all

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

jabby posted:

What if a dog owner wants to run at some point while in the park?

They do so at their own risk. It's not a choice I would make, but I don't usually go to dog parks; one of my dogs is a shithead who screams at flat-faced dogs and the other one has some sort of invisible 'jump me' sign.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?

Rhymes With Clue posted:

Yes, that's pretty much it. Each entrance has a gate, a little corral in which you can unleash your dog, then another gate. They've been there about a year, and before that there was just a sign. When there was just a sign saying, basically, "Here is where you must put your dog on a leash," it seemed a little more reasonable that you would see through traffic including joggers, bicyclists and equestrians.

I used to work at a government gun range in AZ that shot heavy caliber weapons. To get to where the bullets hit you'd have to drive about 10 miles into the desert, past multiple warning signs, through 2 gates and past several literal craters. People would still do this and then be surprised when a few black SUVs came out to herd them to safety (and sometimes arrest them).

What I'm saying is, signs and fences mean nothing to the average person.

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...
How do you guys tell parents to keep their children away from your leashed dogs?

I have a friend who frequently has children run up to her dog wanting to pet him but he has issues with kids. So she ends up asking him to sit and loudly telling the children to stop running up. Often times, the parents get upset at her for yelling at their kids and that her dog shouldn't even be allowed in public. She doesn't mind if the kids ask for permission and she has treats and a training procedure to follow. But every time it happens, she feels terrible.

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013
That happens to me a lot and I just yell at the kids and/or parents and don't feel bad, to be honest. My dog is under control and their kid isn't, so it's their problem, not mine. I'm just protecting my dog (and their kid, for that matter).

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Parents should be teaching their kids to ask permission first and to never run up to a strange dog. You are totally in the right for yelling at them to stop. Regardless of whether or not your dog has issues with kids, it's plain rude and unsafe.

Sadly I don't have any solid advice for your friend other than "do what you have to do to keep everyone safe/comfortable and don't let the idiots get to you." Easier said than done with some people.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
What do you do when the kids ask to pet your dog and you say no and they just keep coming? I had a tense situation on a trail with three reactive leashed dogs, a pack of nearly a dozen preschoolers with parents far, far behind them, and an unleashed dog bristling for a fight coming from the other direction. The toddlers stampeded up crying "CAN I PET YOUR DOGS?!?! CAN I PET YOUR DOGS!!!!" I told them no while circling up the dogs and preparing for a fight, and they just kept getting closer while shouting "WHY?! CAN I PET YOUR DOGS!!!" I finally shouted back loud enough for the parents to hear and call the kids off, and the other dog's owner got a clue and leashed up.

Kids in dog parks piss me off for a number of reasons. One of my daycare kids several years ago had a broken femur from being in the wrong place at the wrong time when a pack of big 'ol dogs was wrestling at the dog park.

When we lived in an apartment I used to take Brisbane to a fenced designated dog run in the far corner of a an expansive public park with multiple playgrounds and child areas. People would sometimes bring the family dog and also their toddlers and tricycles. I had to leave once because there was a pair of tiny kids running around grabbing tails. Brisbane is an awesome dog, but his spinal issues make him super-sensitive about his tail and even though I had him actively engaged with me the entire time I didn't want to risk him snapping at a kid.

A lot of fenced dog parks forbid or restrict kids because there are a lot of risks, from disease to dogs that aren't socialized with kids. Some parents claim it's their risk to take, but it isn't, really. No matter what happens, the dog and owner will be considered at fault. There are rescue dogs that aren't safe to have around kids, and it's hard when the dog park is the only place for them to run free and then people bring in kids and they have to leave.

Also this thread lacks pictures so I thought I'd fix that:

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Skizzles posted:

Parents should be teaching their kids to ask permission first and to never run up to a strange dog. You are totally in the right for yelling at them to stop. Regardless of whether or not your dog has issues with kids, it's plain rude and unsafe.

Sadly I don't have any solid advice for your friend other than "do what you have to do to keep everyone safe/comfortable and don't let the idiots get to you." Easier said than done with some people.

I hear about the "yellow ribbon" thing once in a while, but I don't know how many places it's been picked up. Basically if you have a yellow leash or a yellow ribbon on your leash then passers by should know not to approach your dog.

That doesn't help teach the common sense part of "don't approach a dog you don't know" though, unfortunately.

chapstickie
Apr 30, 2011
Yeah, the problem with a yellow ribbon is that any person who would approach your dog without asking first wouldn't know what it means. Yelling is the only thing that works.

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013
Yeah, I had a yellow ribbon on Abutiu's leash for awhile and it made so little difference that when it eventually got torn off I didn't bother to replace it. It's a great idea but I just don't see it catching on with the kind of people who don't think they need to ask before approaching or get pissy if you say no.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009
You could wear a shirt that says: "My dog will LITERALLY eat your child/ankle biter. And I will laugh."

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
The yellow ribbon idea is good in theory, yes, but as many have said it falls pretty flat in practice. They have some leashes/harnesses that say "CAUTION" on them. You could get a vest that says "DO NOT PET/APPROACH" or "STAY BACK" or something, and then be bombarded with annoying questions about your "service" dog.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Just use a muzzle when walking the dog.

Not on the dog, wear it yourself. Should stop most parents.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Ideally the dog parks should have big kid-friendly signs posted everywhere saying 'Do Not Approach Unknown Dogs'. Might not stop everyone, but it would give you something to point to when you yell at someones kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
We use the ADOPT ME leashes for our rescue dogs from here: http://www.friendlydogcollars.com.au/

If you don't want to clicky-clicky, there's also NO DOGS, CAUTION, NERVOUS, TRAINING, BLIND, WORKING, DEAF, DO NOT FEED. They do harnesses and leashes if you want to make it really goddamn obvious.

• Locked thread